PDA

View Full Version : Using MS Access to Create a D&D Database

Tormsskull
2007-02-09, 10:22 AM
Has anyone tried using MS Access to make a D&D database? How did it work out? I put one together from some of the stuff I've seen on GITP, so far here is a form I have for monsters, what do you all think?

http://i124.photobucket.com/albums/p15/Tormsskull/MMDB1.jpg

Sorry about the dead space on bottom, my picture-editing skills are lacking :(

Its pretty cool because I can create reports based on CR and such. So you can tell the program to give you a list of monsters between CR 3 and CR 5, and it will pull up a list for you.

I was going to try to do something online where people could go to the website, use prompts, and pull up a list of custom-created monsters.

Legoman
2007-02-09, 10:25 AM
Rock on! It'd be better than a wiki, in that it'd be easier to pull information, as you suggested - instead of relying on people to place the links in the numerous index pages.

How does Access delimit data, is it some sort of XML type thing? Comma delimited? I might be able to whip up a perl/shell script to rip through these monsters PDQ.

Deus Mortus
2007-02-09, 10:56 AM
You might want to create a space for an optional picture, but for the rest it looks awesome.

kamikasei
2007-02-09, 11:02 AM
Off the top of my head it would seem to make more sense to do it in something like SQL or another open-source database system, and if the hosting is available, plug it in to a web frontend. Searchable WikiBase!