PDA

View Full Version : Original System Clarification: Mildly Differentiated 3.5 System

Synvallius
2014-04-24, 07:08 PM
After many months of planning (sort of), I will be starting a PbP campaign here on the forum. Because I've never gone exactly by the core 3.5 rules and generally just go off on deviations, I need a very rules-light class system that is designed for a game with minimal combat (specifically, combat is to be used as the topper for encounters and what not, rather than being the meat and bones of the game itself, which will focus largely on role playing). The system will use the basic 3.5 rules, abilities are the same (i.e. strength, dexterity, constitution, etc.), there are still going to be base saves and base attack bonuses; what I need are mainly ideas for class abilities.
The basic idea is that there are three base classes (Martial, Covert, and Mystic) and then from there you can make up your own occupation (Martial characters could be knights, mercenaries, bodyguards, etc.) which would grant player-DM defined bonus powers. The main thing I'm wanting help with, is what should the base classes base powers be? If anyone can think of anything, I'd be much obliged by their help.
Also, in addendum, additional information can be offered up if needed. So ask questions if you're confused about what I'm saying or what I'm asking (I know I generally get confused by what I'm saying :smallconfused:).

p.d0t
2014-04-24, 08:41 PM
For "base powers" do you mean combat abilities? I ask because you mentioned this wouldn't be combat-focused.

Synvallius
2014-04-24, 09:00 PM
Yes, I mean combat abilities (like the rage power that barbarians get) and also just random bonuses (like the damage reduction that, once again, barbarians get). That's mainly all I need, unless someone else has tried this, or something like this, before and has other pertinent information to add.

Synvallius
2014-04-27, 05:13 PM
Okay, this is my new idea, the base classes will merely give bonuses to BaB, Saves, and health. These are the patterns to be followed:

Martial Class
Health Bonus: 8 at starting, 1d8 at level two and every other even numbered level thereafter.
Base Attack Bonus: +1 at 1st level; +2 at 2nd; +3 at 3rd; and so on and so forth, capping off at 10th level.
Base Saves: Fortitude +1, Will +0, Reflex +0, at 1st level; Fortitude +2, Will +1, Reflex +1, at 2nd level; Fortitude +3, Will +1, Reflex +1, at 3rd level; Fortitude +4, Will +2, Reflex +2, at 4th level; Fortitude +5, Will +2, Reflex +2, at 5th level; Fortitude +6, Will +3, Reflex +3, at 6th level; Fortitude +7, Will +3, Reflex +3, at 7th level; Fortitude +8, Will +4, Reflex +4, at 8th level; Fortitude +9, Will +4, Reflex +4, at 9th level; Fortitude +10, Will +5, Reflex +5, at 10th level.

Covert Class
Health Bonus: 6 at starting, 1d6 at level two and every other even numbered level thereafter.
Base Attack Bonus: +1 at 1st level; +2 at 2nd; +3 at 3rd; and so on and so forth, capping off at +10 at 10th level.
Base Saves: Fortitude +0, Will +0, Reflex +1, at 1st level; Fortitude +1, Will +1, Reflex +2, at 2nd level; Fortitude +1, Will +1, Reflex +3, at 3rd level; Fortitude +2, Will +2, Reflex +4, at 4th level; Fortitude +2, Will +2, Reflex +5, at 5th level; Fortitude +3, Will +3, Reflex +6, at 6th level; Fortitude +3, Will +3, Reflex +7, at 7th level; Fortitude +4, Will +4, Reflex +8, at 8th level; Fortitude +4, Will +4, Reflex +9, at 9th level; Fortitude +5, Will +5, Reflex +10, at 10th level.

Mystic Class
Health Bonus: 4 at starting, 1d4 at level two and every other even numbered level thereafter.
Base Attack Bonus: +0 at 1st level, increasing by +1 every even level, capping off at +5 at 10th level.
Base Saves: Fortitude +0, Will +1, Reflex +0, at 1st level; Fortitude +1, Will +2, Reflex +1, at 2nd level; Fortitude +1, Will +3, Reflex +1, at 3rd level; Fortitude +2, Will +4, Reflex +2, at 4th level; Fortitude +2, Will +5, Reflex +2, at 5th level; Fortitude +3, Will +6, Reflex +3, at 6th level; Fortitude +3, Will +7, Reflex +3, at 7th level; Fortitude +4, Will +8, Reflex +4, at 8th level; Fortitude +4, Will +9, Reflex +4, at 9th level; Fortitude +5, Will +10, Reflex +5, at 10th level.

So, my new question is whether that seems like enough information for a viable class system (keeping in mind that the game is going to be largely freeform, and that the players will make their own occupational special bonuses). If anyone else has tried to do something like this, please comment and give any advice you may have regarding the intricacies of class creation.

Synvallius
2014-04-29, 02:40 PM
Alright, obviously no one seems to be paying attention to this, but nonetheless I still feel the obligation to post some additional information before plunging headlong into making a system out of whole cloth. So, slightly revised information, based around the idea of allowing characters to assign their own abilities (Class features) within a wide parameter, so long as maintaining some alignment to their base class's intent.

Martial Class
Class Features: 1 new feature at every odd numbered level, starting at 1st.
Covert Class
Class Features: 1 new feature at 1st, 4th, 6th, and 10th levels.
Mystic Class
Class Features: 1 new feature at 1st, 5th, and 10th levels.

Class features must be based off of the abilities of the base class (i.e. Mystic characters can choose a magic school for a class feature, whereas a Martial or Covert character cannot, while a Mystic character would not be able to choose features that increase their combat prowess). Class features do not need to be combat oriented, they may be passive or active, and may be of any kind so long as they do not infringe on any abilities relegated to another base class.

This should be the last post here, seeing as how little is being accomplished in regard to outside help, so, if anyone has any comments upon whether or not these ideas seem like they would work I'd appreciate the critique.

p.d0t
2014-04-29, 10:45 PM
Based on your last post, it seems like you want to have classes that are more or less specialized into either magic, combat, or skills.

This makes it hard to balance spotlight time in a multiplayer game, and especially gets dicey because magic can do "anything"
Personally I much prefer a 4e approach, where everyone can contribute something in combat, and roles differentiate how.

If this jives at all with your goals, I can point you towards my own homebrew for some potential inspiration.

Synvallius
2014-04-30, 12:02 AM
The idea is that the class features will limit the overall power of the mystic class characters (they only get three features whereas martial and covert get 5 and 4 respectively), each feature (at least for the mystic class) would be like choosing a single school of magic, thus (in theory) limiting just how much raw power is at the magic user's disposal... in theory.
I would be interested in seeing your system; although the game I'm planning will not be combat heavy, it is always useful to have access to new information that provides a better way of streamlining combat while still keeping it fun.

p.d0t
2014-04-30, 12:22 AM
Give this link a shot:
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1kmJJtLZ2syGQK8jCP1VRS92GWMtvOLJv_koPrZgApuM/

Probably the General Feats and Character Roles will be of most interest, possibly Classes, too, but feel free to read the whole thing and give me notes :smallwink:

Chronologist
2014-05-01, 06:59 AM
Have you considered using or looking at the Dragon Age TRPG? I believe that it fulfills most or all of your desires with your homebrew system. For example,
- 3 classes (Warrior, Rogue, Mage)
- Feats/Abilities gained each level or every other level
- Simple, direct system