PDA

View Full Version : Dragon got powned... round two ideas?

TheCorsairMalac
2014-04-25, 12:15 AM
When one player was away two of the others hired a greedy little(Very Young in Monster Manual) black dragon to kill one of his trained wolves.

When the player was separated from the party it hid in a river and lured his wolf with food on a log. Then it tried to drag the wolf into the river with a grapple and then use the current to escape. But the wolf escaped the grapple, the other wolf moved in to help, and the druid(Who owns the wolf.) started jabbing over them with his longspear, while flanking with a summoned crocodile.

The dragon rolled terribly that fight(So many fours!), and the druid was pretty sly about using the terrain to prevent 5-foot steps, but thankfully I was able to get it to escape.

The players who hired it were disappointed with the encounter... and now I see it as an opportunity. I think those two would love to see the dragon make a second attempt(For its pride's sake.), and the player with the wolves would enjoy having his own recurring enemy/nemesis.

But what can I do to spice up the next encounter? What sort of circumstance could occur that would separate the druid or his wolf from the group long enough?

It's a D&D 3.5 game, so you know which rules can apply.

Kid Jake
2014-04-25, 12:22 AM
Take a page from Bugs Bunny and have it disguise itself as a lady wolf to lure the wolf away?

Is the druid ok with his pets being targeted by the other PCs though? Because them just killing his wolf because 'Loltakethat' seems like the sort of thing that's just going to lead to unnecessary conflict down the line.

TheCorsairMalac
2014-04-25, 12:31 AM
Take a page from Bugs Bunny and have it disguise itself as a lady wolf to lure the wolf away?

Is the druid ok with his pets being targeted by the other PCs though? Because them just killing his wolf because 'Loltakethat' seems like the sort of thing that's just going to lead to unnecessary conflict down the line.

lol, awesome! A disguised dragon trying to assassinate a wolf. XD The group is pretty silly, I'll write this one down.

They're all about unnecessary conflict. The cleric cast 'inflict' on the wounded thief, the bard refuses to do anything that will make him a target in combat, the barbarian intentionally finishes off potential prisoners.

The druid himself steals hats from children and pushes fat people down wells. None of them are saints, and some back-stabbing is definitely expected.

Kid Jake
2014-04-25, 12:33 AM
Oh, then definitely have the dragon come back with a big pink Hat of Disguise.

TheCorsairMalac
2014-04-25, 12:37 AM

Oh right, the bard also trampled half the party with the wagon they were stealing, on a narrow bridge, during combat, because he wanted to befriend the neutral-party driver and try to weasel more reward money out of the quest giver before the others got back.

--And this is all just today.

Slipperychicken
2014-04-25, 01:55 AM
Oh, then definitely have the dragon come back with a big pink Hat Fedora of Disguise.

Fixed that one for you.

NikitaDarkstar
2014-04-25, 02:09 AM
Just out of curiosity, how did a dragon with wings and a breath weapon lose to a wolf? Or did the druid pwn him with ranged spells?
Anyway I would play to the dragons strengths a bit. Have it fly, lure them into a swamp (or at least a body of water, remember black dragons swim), and if you have the patience for it, use grapple to drag an enemy into the water. Stuff like that. Also the dragon has had one encounter with them already so it's perfectly acceptable to have him come better prepared next time around.

TheCorsairMalac
2014-04-25, 09:54 AM
Have it fly, lure them into a swamp (or at least a body of water, remember black dragons swim), and if you have the patience for it, use grapple to drag an enemy into the water. Stuff like that.

That is exactly what it tried the first time. XD Rolled super low three times on grapple checks, got cornered in the shallows by two wolves, a druid with a longspear and a summoned crocodile. Then rolled crap for attack rolls. It was embarassing.

I agree, he would definitely come better prepared next time. I'm just fishing around for ideas. I like the drowning idea... but I've already used it.

CombatOwl
2014-04-25, 06:49 PM
You'd need to provide more explanation about how this dragon managed to lose.

The Grue
2014-04-26, 03:05 AM
And also what game you're playing.

TheCorsairMalac
2014-04-26, 05:56 PM
You'd need to provide more explanation about how this dragon managed to lose.

And also what game you're playing.

Should have mentions such details in the original post. I'll edit it with this info. Thanks guys. :)

Citizen Nij
2014-04-28, 09:18 AM
Party arrives at a reasonably-sized town during a festival (election of a new mayor, excellent growth season for their main profit-crop, whatever). They make their way to the centre square, where a large crowd is coalesced to make advantage of the many stalls and traders gathered in the surrounding streets.

The cleric has the opportunity to finagle the local temple for a new spell or some other useful knowledge. The bard has a chance to impress the regulars at the tavern with his musical talent, and pick up a lady (or man. Or five) while he's at it. The barbarian has a chance to join the bard at the same tavern, get uproaringly drunk and start various fights, and also pick up a lady (or man. Or five).

Then the druid is made aware of a rare plant growing in the area, one that is especially useful in some ritual you're going to let him learn soon/that he's just learnt. This plant is known only to flower near the edge of slow-moving fresh water sources, like that relatively deep pool under the waterfall down at the river, which might be about deep enough for a dragon to hide in...

A lot of this would have to be fleshed out for each character, but all of this could be used episodically, giving each player and character the spotlight for a session, as well as simultaneously providing some good value humour and giving them a chance to develop character, both in personality and in attributes