2007-02-10, 03:08 PM
Wow, great comic.

Heh, "great talent".

Aimbot
2007-02-10, 03:10 PM
Damn it. I guess I was beat. oh well.

Karellen
2007-02-10, 03:11 PM
"Plan. A war. For fun." Heh, nice catch on 17. Man, I don't get how some of you people don't like Parson.

It's quite frightening how cute Wanda becomes when she thinks about torturing someone.

hewhosaysfish
2007-02-10, 03:20 PM
Did anyone notice, in the last panel, the Tool has a little step to stand on?

Also, kudos to everyone who predicted that Parson would be known as Lord Hamster.

matthewmw64
2007-02-10, 03:22 PM
You could actually see it in the previous Strip.

That was a pretty good comic. Im really starting to like this one.

PirateMonk
2007-02-10, 03:25 PM
So, that's settled. Either this is a huge coincidence, or Erfworld is Parson's game.

Estelindis
2007-02-10, 03:26 PM
Interesting... I'm a little surprised that Wanda's so enthusiastic about torture and interrogation. Anyone think that she knows Jillian from previous captures and they're actually exchanging information? Could they both be working on a way to resolve this whole thing without big smushy armies - and could this be why Jillian keeps getting captured?

Okay, maybe not. Jill does live to fight, after all. *grin*

But seriously, a nice comic - with another amusing title for a main character ("Lord Hamster" - heh).

fruityjanitor
2007-02-10, 03:27 PM
Wow, that one was great!

All hail Lord Hamster!

And it seems that our two favorite Erfworld ladies have a (not so friendly) history with each other. It will be really interesting to see that play out. :)

Does anyone else predict a cat fight in the future? ;)

Also, I wonder what the "two items" were? Her oversized sword and the message-sending top hat? Or maybe something else...

Edit: Oh, and I love the third and fourth panels. It's good to see that the Tool finally recognizes Lord Hamster's greatness.

Aliquid
2007-02-10, 03:33 PM
And it seems that our two favorite Erfworld ladies have a (not so friendly) history with each other. It will be really interesting to see that play out. :)Well I was wondering about that....
Wanda almost looked upset that Jillian was captured. It might be possible that she doesn't want to torture her, heck they might be friends. I could be totally off base on that, but it would be an interesting plot twist.

Icewalker
2007-02-10, 03:36 PM
yeah, Lord Hamster is a great title for Parson. It definitely seems that Jillian and Wanda have some connections. When Stanley says "Guess who can't get enough of our dungeon slop?" Wanda looks either really scared or really excited. I'm definitely seeing some connection. They either have a good connection, or Wanda reeeally likes torture and interrogation.

Aliquid
2007-02-10, 03:38 PM
So, that's settled. Either this is a huge coincidence, or Erfworld is Parson's game.Why is it settled?

I still fail to see why Parson's game would have care-bears or glass unicorns as combatants... or why people would be called findomancers...

There are certainly some similarities between his game and Erfworld, tactical and geographical.... but there is no explanation for the creatures that live in Erfworld.

There may be a connection between his game and Erfworld, but there has to be a deeper more complicated explanation for this than simply "It is Parson's game". And we probably won't be shown that reason for a while.

Ilgivan
2007-02-10, 03:40 PM
Am I the only one who thinks that the cast of characters page needs an update to put Parson on?

And perhaps likes and dislikes for characters too?

Xenon
2007-02-10, 03:41 PM
i think its the 'war, for fun' part the tool likes best :)

and torture? ah, always nice to see the bad guys doing the job right! reminds me of dungeon keeper 2 :)

PirateMonk
2007-02-10, 03:42 PM
Why is it settled?

I still fail to see why Parson's game would have care-bears or glass unicorns as combatants... or why people would be called findomancers...

There are certainly some similarities between his game and Erfworld, tactical and geographical.... but there is no explanation for the creatures that live in Erfworld.

There may be a connection between his game and Erfworld, but there has to be a deeper more complicated explanation for this than simply "It is Parson's game". And we probably won't be shown that reason for a while.

He could have been spending too much time with younger relatives...

arronan
2007-02-10, 03:44 PM
Great comic. And I'm still laughing over the "Tool" joke.

Minchandre
2007-02-10, 03:46 PM
What's written in the scrying pool in panel 9? "Points Mo..."

Captain van der Decken
2007-02-10, 03:49 PM
Well, now we definitely know Wanda is evil.

SteveMB
2007-02-10, 03:55 PM
What's written in the scrying pool in panel 9? "Points Mo..."
I assume the latter is "Move", cut off.

Karellen
2007-02-10, 03:59 PM
Does there need to be a reason for care-bears and glass unicorns? Parson has a lot of time in his hands. If you're spending five months in designing a fantasy strategy game, then a lot of that time is going to be spent into designing the world it happens in. Parson is a guy who makes a webcomic about a lazy, annoying hamster; I don't see him making a big deal out of keeping his games thematically "mature". Maybe he likes cute things, quite possible considering some of the weird stuff in his room. Maybe he wanted to do something different.

Even so, no, there's no reason to think that Parson created Erfworld per se. Clearly he has no idea who the characters in the world are, and if he has a clue about, say, Arkentools, he hasn't shown it so far. Even so, judging by the similarities so far, there's no reason to assume that the similarities might not apply to things like troop design, game mechanics and whatnot. You know, the stuff that Parson needs to know to efficiently lead a war in the gameworld.

Minchandre
2007-02-10, 04:08 PM
I assume the latter is "Move", cut off.

Got it. Makes sense. And does anyone else think the little yellow thing looks almost like a cubic interpretation of a Peep?

Ilgivan
2007-02-10, 04:21 PM
Yar, or a gwiffon, with the upright tetris block being the rider.

LaValle
2007-02-10, 04:25 PM
I wonder how many times did Jilian get cauhgt by Stanley. Wanda certainly seems happy to spend some "quality time" with her. Awww, she's so cute when she thinks of hurting people.

TheAnimal
2007-02-10, 04:29 PM
Hehe, Lord Hamster... Glad to see Wanda got a nice suprise for once, after having to put up with so much boop lately.

Crazy Ivan
2007-02-10, 04:33 PM
Seeing as how in the cast page our favorite Tool's tribe is described as 'Almost lost' and Wanda's is 'Lost' then, maybe we may have just found who was responsible for that lost status.

SMDVogrin
2007-02-10, 04:34 PM
There's a very simple reason for the care bears, peeps, glass unicorns, etc.

It's called "Proxying". Representing a unit in a miniature war-game with whatever happens to be lying around the room. Normally done when you haven't bought the proper mini for some reason (no money, company didn't make one, etc).

When you're making the whole game from scratch, you have even more opportunities. "Let's see, we need a flying unit. That peep will do. And some golems. Well, let's use this stuffed animal and call it a cloth golem." and so on.

Of course, this is based on the idea that Parson's home-brew was a miniatures game, rather than "counters on a hex map", which is at odds with what we see of the gaming table. But if you look at comic 16, we actually see a stuffed animal on his bookcase.
http://www.giantitp.com/comics/erf0016.html

Estelindis
2007-02-10, 04:41 PM

It's called "Proxying". Representing a unit in a miniature war-game with whatever happens to be lying around the room. Normally done when you haven't bought the proper mini for some reason (no money, company didn't make one, etc).
That makes a frightening amount of sense. I have done that myself often enough...

thevorpalbunny
2007-02-10, 04:49 PM
Well, now we definitely know Wanda is evil.
I disagree.
That doesn't look like a happy 'ooh' on Wanda's face to me. I interpret this a the best evidence yet that Wanda isn't particularly happy about her job. I strongly suspect, personally, that the Tribe: Lost is, in fact, Stanley's fault.

Cryo
2007-02-10, 04:49 PM

When you're making the whole game from scratch, you have even more opportunities. "Let's see, we need a flying unit. That peep will do. And some golems. Well, let's use this stuffed animal and call it a cloth golem." and so on.

Of course, this is based on the idea that Parson's home-brew was a miniatures game, rather than "counters on a hex map", which is at odds with what we see of the gaming table. But if you look at comic 16, we actually see a stuffed animal on his bookcase.
http://www.giantitp.com/comics/erf0016.html

That's exactly how I interpreted it :smallbiggrin:

Proxying webcomic! (http://www.irregularwebcomic.net/3.html)

whmice
2007-02-10, 04:56 PM
is that i tear i see in her eye?
;'-D

PaladinFreak
2007-02-10, 04:59 PM
YIKES!! Stanley is, at any rate, evil.

Ikkitosen
2007-02-10, 05:13 PM
I like theie evilness seeping through - to me it's clear that Wanda is very excited about getting to torture and interrogate Jillian some more. It's an interesting dichotomy in her presentation - we're encouraged to be on her side to some extent since she's cool, likeable in some ways and hot (for a cartoon); but then she's now showing some conflict with another character we're supposed to like. Decisions decisions!

Kanthalion
2007-02-10, 05:16 PM
I just looked at it again, and that is definately excitement on Wanda's face. Like a little girl who just got a pony from her daddy.

Re: Jillian's two items, I know for sure one is the hat--it showed her dropping it, as far as the other one is concerned, my guess is it's her sword.

Idris
2007-02-10, 05:16 PM
Does there need to be a reason for care-bears and glass unicorns?

In our games we've utilised random stuff when laying out floorplans for combat
(and our PCs are lego figures, suitably armed and attired of course)

While Parson was working on the game, maybe he just grabbed whatever was to hand to represent units. He seems the kind of person who wouldn't throw anything away, and we certainly know he saves edibles.

Another great strip by the way :smallbiggrin:
amazing how expressive Stanley's blobby little face can be.

Shadow of the Sun
2007-02-10, 05:23 PM
That doesn't look like excitement to me. That looks like being on the verge of a nervous breakdown (I have been there. Yes, I am only 15. Stupid suicidal friends who do not listen to me about going into therapy)

Ave
2007-02-10, 06:34 PM
These tortures shouldn't be too traumatising if Jill always comes back for more ;)

Sisqui
2007-02-10, 06:39 PM
Maybe Wanda's penchant for "torture" is why Jillian keeps escaping. Wanda might be letting her go. I wonder if they are friends
or friends?

Aliquid
2007-02-10, 06:46 PM
Does there need to be a reason for care-bears and glass unicorns? No, there doesn't need to be a reason, but I am sure there is a reason.

I don't think the authors would have just randomly decided to use childrens toys as aspects of Erfworld. There will be a reason, and it will likely be an interesting plot advancing reason... "just because" doesn't make for a fun story.

It's called "Proxying". I am aware of Proxying, but I really don't see Parson as the type of guy to have a whole bunch of childrens toys lying around. Care-bears? Glass unicorns? (he isn't a 12 year old girl). The Arkenhammer is an infant's toy. Do you see any babies in his apartment? The only thing he has are Peeps.

But if you look at comic 16, we actually see a stuffed animal on his bookcase.I don't know.... it doesn't look like any of the creatures in Erfwold (It looks like a mutant rabbit). I don't even know if it is stuffed. It looks more like a rubber or plastic "action figure". Maybe a mascot for some software company, like the Linux Penguin. Besides, one little potential toy doesn't explain an entire army of toys that are clearly designed for very young children.

Kanthalion
2007-02-10, 06:50 PM
No, there doesn't need to be a reason, but I am sure there is a reason.

I don't think the authors would have just randomly decided to use childrens toys as aspects of Erfworld. There will be a reason, and it will likely be an interesting plot advancing reason... "just because" doesn't make for a fun story.

I am aware of Proxying, but I really don't see Parson as the type of guy to have a whole bunch of childrens toys lying around. Care-bears? Glass unicorns? (he isn't a 12 year old girl). The Arkenhammer is an infant's toy. Do you see any babies in his apartment? The only thing he has are Peeps.
I don't know.... it doesn't look like any of the creatures in Erfwold (It looks like a mutant rabbit). I don't even know if it is stuffed. It looks more like a rubber or plastic "action figure". Maybe a mascot for some software company, like the Linux Penguin. Besides, one little potential toy doesn't explain an entire army of toys that are clearly designed for very young children.

I think the toy rabbit in his apartment is a Munny (http://www.kidrobot.com/html/munny/index.html), but I might be wrong.

taigen
2007-02-10, 06:53 PM
Does anyone else find it disturbing that not even a turn has passed since his summoning, and Parson is already a lord and Stanley is a Tool...

Emanick1
2007-02-10, 06:59 PM
Hmmm. I don't think Parson deserves to be called "Lord Hamster." :smallfrown:
And I really do think Wanda has a frown, not a smile. Thus adding my vote to the throng of previous-assumption people.

Bilbo27
2007-02-10, 07:13 PM
Lord Hamster, love it. At first I thought Wanda would be revulsed by Tools request, but I guess she relished the opportunity.

FelixZ
2007-02-10, 07:14 PM
I think that Wanda believes Parson to be the 'creator' of Erworld.... Anyone else think that?

fruityjanitor
2007-02-10, 07:16 PM
Hmmm... I wonder if Jamie meant to make Wanda's facial expression in the 8th frame ambiguous. Funny how half the posters interpreted it as happily surprised and the other half interpreted it as unhappily surprised...

Edit: It could be that she is unhappily surprised but is trying to act happily surprised so the Tool doesn't get suspicious...

I suppose time will show how she really feels about Jillian. The theory that Wanda keeps helping her escape could be true.

Yogi
2007-02-10, 07:20 PM
I thought she was biting her lip in barely controlled excitement. She might really REALLY like torture and interrogation.

Aevii
2007-02-10, 07:21 PM
I disagree.
That doesn't look like a happy 'ooh' on Wanda's face to me. I interpret this a the best evidence yet that Wanda isn't particularly happy about her job. I strongly suspect, personally, that the Tribe: Lost is, in fact, Stanley's fault.
On the contrary, when you're talented with any school of magic you can think of, but prefer to focus on making legions of walking corpses, I think she likes her job for the most part-just not her boss, nor the particular orders and priorities he's had her pursue. When Hamster commanded her to call him "Tool", the look of loathing on her face was unmistakable.

I suspect Wanda is greatly looking forward to this.

Maerad of Pellinor
2007-02-10, 07:26 PM
I think Wanda's face just looked like that because of the vowels she was saying....And she seemed happy at first.

Sisqui
2007-02-10, 07:33 PM
Edit: It could be that she is unhappily surprised but is trying to act happily surprised so the Tool doesn't get suspicious...

That is what I thought when I read it.

EpeeGnome
2007-02-10, 07:49 PM
Stanley's input isn't worth much, since he's such a tool. I think its too early to tell what she's thinking.

"Lord Hampster." I knew it.

the_tick_rules
2007-02-10, 08:12 PM
so parson was playing a game very similar to his summoning. Makes sense, what makes a more perfect warlord than someone whose been rehearsing the battle for months?

EntilZha
2007-02-10, 08:29 PM
"I encourage my people to pursue their hobbies" LOL!!!

Mr Teufel
2007-02-10, 09:02 PM
These tortures shouldn't be too traumatising if Jill always comes back for more ;)

Maybe Wanda's penchant for "torture" is why Jillian keeps escaping. Wanda might be letting her go. I wonder if they are friends
or friends?

I think that's likely.

Hmmm... I wonder if Jamie meant to make Wanda's facial expression in the 8th frame ambiguous. Funny how half the posters interpreted it as happily surprised and the other half interpreted it as unhappily surprised...

I suppose time will show how she really feels about Jillian. The theory that Wanda keeps helping her escape could be true.

I think it might be the other way round. She's happy her friend is back, but if she showed that, Stanley'd be suspicious.

As for whether Erfworld is exactly Parson's game:
a) Parson seems unaware of major features of the world, such as Arkentools
b) Parson doesn't lisp, and many major features of this world are named with lisps: Gobwin, Gwiffon
c) Parson needed to be told the names of characters.

I don't think it's his game, exactly. The similarities could just be a result of the spell used to summon him, but I think there is more to it. It could be an amalgam of games Parson has designed, past and present - that would explain the baby-isms. But unless the other games are from when he was much younger, it wouldn't explain his lack of knowledge of major features of the game/world.

I think it's something else. I think we haven't got all the clues yet.

Aquillion
2007-02-10, 09:46 PM
Why is it settled?

I still fail to see why Parson's game would have care-bears or glass unicorns as combatants... or why people would be called findomancers...Because being on the evil side in this confrontion would give the good guys a chance to crush the forces of sickening cuteness? Look at Ansom; he's practically designed to be as annoying as possible.

Aliquid
2007-02-10, 09:51 PM
Because being on the evil side in this confrontion would give the good guys a chance to crush the forces of sickening cuteness? Look at Ansom; he's practically designed to be as annoying as possible.I was actually wondering about that idea at one point.... but would Parson put Peeps with the "annoying" side? He loves peeps!

Jalathas
2007-02-10, 10:37 PM
or friends?
or Friends (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Friends)

The Shadow
2007-02-10, 11:09 PM
OK, Wanda now officially scares me. :)

I can't read that as anything but, "OOOooooh!!! Torture! Yay!"

And this IS a person who prefers being a croakamancer to anything else... and who "doesn't laugh". (Very intriguing line, that.)

Hilary Moon Murphy
2007-02-10, 11:29 PM
I love the ambiguity, and Parson's title is perfect.

Carry on!

Hmm

Solarious
2007-02-10, 11:37 PM
I'm of the opinion that she's not happy, but we'll only know for sure on Tuesday...

Or later if our favorite sl... authors decide to be evil.

*tucks bullwhip behind back and smiles brightly*

:smallbiggrin:

Aquillion
2007-02-11, 12:13 AM
I was actually wondering about that idea at one point.... but would Parson put Peeps with the "annoying" side? He loves peeps!They might just be a general unit used by everyone (except our current side, since they have superior Dwagons); they seem to come with Jillian, and she's just a merc with no faction affiliation. Parson might also like their taste while hating their yellow cuteness.

Actually, now that I think about it, the entire 'good' side is irritating. Look at them: Goths, emos, far too many other species of annoying elves, trendy vampires, awful repeated internet jokes (the ORLYs), small-cute creatures, all lead by a leader who talks like everyone's most hated boss made flesh. They're made to hate, basically.

Lex Sandar
2007-02-11, 12:52 AM
After looking the comic over again...I'm pretty sure that's not so much a happy Wanda face...even if Tool Stanley thinks it is... the eyes in particular don't look like one happily suprised...more the opposite.

Shadow of the Sun
2007-02-11, 01:18 AM
Like I said, verge of a nervous breakdown.

erewhon
2007-02-11, 03:23 AM
or friends?

Heh.

Now, that opens the door to a degree of fanservice I'm not sure I'm comfortable with. But I'm willing to see how I feel about it! :D

Chalcara
2007-02-11, 03:28 AM
'Kay, I officially love wanda now. She rocks! :D

Karellen
2007-02-11, 04:44 AM
I thought about proxying, but it doesn't quite add up - the problem with the is that looking at the size of the hex map he's got as the gameboard, you probably couldn't fit children's toys on it. At least, not most of them. It makes sense he might make some tiny figures himself out of what's at hand, which especially goes for things like marbits and such, but care bear plushies aren't going to fit. 'Course, we only see that one board (which is pretty small) and we don't know what he's intending to use as figures in the game, so maybe the game involves a number of different gameboards for different levels of abstraction.

Frankly, I'm hardpressed to think of a deep, elaborate, story-conscious reason why a world would be composed of cute children's toys, unless it's some cheesy metapsychological solution that determines that Erfworld is just some weird metaphysical representation of Parson's innermost desires, which frankly doesn't make any more sense really. Is there ever a real reason for a fantasy universe's specific design aesthetic? Parson having used a similar design aesthetic for his game makes as much sense as any.

WhiteNoise
2007-02-11, 05:42 AM
the geography and situation to me seem more a demonstration of the Anthropic Principle, He is there because his game so closly resembles the tactical situation, the point is, eith Sun Tzu great and legendary general or Julius Ceasar had spent excessive amounts of time planning or fighting a battle to defend a strong point in a caldera on a volcano with a maze of tunnels under it and a 25:1 ratio of enemy forces then the spell would have summoned them, In an unlimited and vast multiverse, SOMEONE has to be studying or fighting a similar battle

TheAnimal
2007-02-11, 06:28 AM
or friends?
With benefits?

Chummer
2007-02-11, 09:06 AM
So Erfworld is not parsons game ? i find that hard to belive

i know there is a great lack in his knowledge of the game but remember that him ang his friends were going to play a BETA as in not finished yet but more game mecanik test of witch he knows alot..

they were going to play a turn based strategy game that he have been working on for months ?(page 15) (he have been thinking about a battle like this for month now (page24))

page 15 states that it would be a battle between good and evil (normal yes) but also state that they will be playeng a "struggle for survival" (i'd belive that is what the battle at gobwin knob is)

page 15 again he would literally escape into one of Theese games (he is still speaking of the games he lives for and there by his own game being a gamemaster and all)

this means that he has taken the place in the game that was ment for the players...
(city looking for champions??? Rpg story starter 101)

Even parson self take the experience As if he is dreaming so he proberly know more then he is telling us

So basicly he is playing his own game as the players would have to but its a game he havent finished up yet so he dont know the ending himself ....

applause to the storyteller =) its Great

about wanda and jillian neither of them like there boss very much
but judgeing persons persona and him probberly being the creator of wanda i bet you she likes to touture people ... jillian could be an exception but theres no doubht in my mind!.... well later strips will tell...... im out

SmartAlec
2007-02-11, 01:41 PM
I assume we're finally going to 'meet' Sir Webinar when he and his heavy units either 1) arrive in time to try to stop Wanda taking Jillian or 2) arrive not quite in time to stop Wanda taking Jillian.

Aquillion
2007-02-11, 02:20 PM
Frankly, I'm hardpressed to think of a deep, elaborate, story-conscious reason why a world would be composed of cute children's toys, unless it's some cheesy metapsychological solution that determines that Erfworld is just some weird metaphysical representation of Parson's innermost desires, which frankly doesn't make any more sense really. Is there ever a real reason for a fantasy universe's specific design aesthetic? Parson having used a similar design aesthetic for his game makes as much sense as any.Like I said: Consider Parson's personality. He's bitter and sarcastic, and he probably hates cuteness, lame Internet jokes, Goths, and middle management.

And remember his words to his friends? "You are about to command armies in a desperate final struggle for survival... between all that is noble and decent... and all that is vile and unholy, not to mention unspeakable."

Look at the situation here, which he said is just like his game: Which army is fighting a desperate struggle for survival? Right. We've all assumed that Parson ended up on the 'evil' side, but we've forgotten what we know about his personality; he probably made the player's side seem like traditional forces of darkness, while pitting them against the horrible, unholy forces of lame Internet jokes, irritating people like Ansom, and so forth.

You have to remember, it's a wargame. The good-vs-evil system doesn't have to make any sense or actually mean anything; Parson, given his somewhat bitter personality, could just have been setting it up like that because he found it humorous. His speech above could easily have been leading into an explaination of how Ansom-type people are vile and unholy and must be wiped from the face of the earth.

Harr
2007-02-11, 09:38 PM
I gotta say, that was a pretty good strip, now that the characters' personalities are starting to deepen a little bit. I enjoyed it.

Count me among those who would be very jarred if Erf turns out to be Parson's creation. You can spin explanations all day long about proxies and cuteness and vile things; he still named stuff "Dwagons" and "Twolls" and all the other baby-speak, and there is absolutely no discernible reason for a guy like him to do that whatsoever; can you seriously picture Parson kneeling on the floor in front of a bunch of toys going, "And this here is a Dwaaagonnn, and this, this here is a Twwoolll.. and this..." Ugh.

And that's not even counting the fact that the "Dwagons" and "Twolls" and the baby-toy-hammer are on his side. So much for destroying cuteness.

Regardless, that's just my opinion, the authors can obviously choose to have it turn out either way, and either way there will be readers who are pleased, and readers who are not-so-pleased.

BDO
2007-02-12, 02:27 AM
Heh. The "Lord Hamster"-thing could be spotted from far out.... But quite cool, though. Especially, because I have a friend who actually wears a "Warhamster"-shirt on a regular basis...

Anyone noticed that the battlestats room looks somewhat like a Yu-Gi-Oh arena...? Especially with the holograms...?

magney
2007-02-12, 04:41 AM
My view on the correspondences between Erfworld and Parson's game?

Remember, Wanda says that the spell summons the Perfect Warlord from all existence. How big is all existence, anyway?

I would say that it's something like coincidence, but not quite. Imagine, if you will, worlds upon worlds, all possible worlds. Many with warlords and wargame enthusiasts. And between all the wargame enthusiasts on all possible worlds, the one whose most recent game most resembled Erfworld was Parson Lord Hamster's.

So when the summoning spell searched all possible worlds, and Stanley set his criteria... Parson, with his game, was the best match Wanda could find.

Thus, in some sense, it is a coincidence that Erfworld so resembles Parson's game, but such a coincidence was all but inevitable given the nature of the spell that summoned him. And in that sense, it isn't a coincidence at all - BUT it does not mean that Erfworld IS Parson's game.

Another factor: recall that Wanda is not a Findamancer. So not only was she unable to find a warlord that met Stanley's pretty-boy requirements, but the summoned warlord's preferred war game may also fail to match Erfworld in various respects. It could be that, a few quanta over in the eleventh dimension, there was a warlord or war gamer who had created a war game involving dwagons, twolls, gwiffons, and all that - but Wanda was not quite adept enough to find him or her.

EDIT: Or... maybe the closest match for a warlord whose war-fighting world did match Erfworld was none other than Prince Ansom, and safeguards built into the spell by the Findamancers ensured it wouldn't summon him.

Tephlon
2007-02-12, 06:33 AM
Did anyone else notice that the Whatevermancers that are making the moves in panel nine are shackled? Seems like Stanley just has slaves, no real allies.

Rastafast
2007-02-12, 08:28 AM
Jillian wanted to avoid an engagement with the prince...
And Wanda looked...a bit like a teen age girl told her heart throb is in the next room.

I wouldnt be suprised if the ladies have a "thing" for each other.

I could be reading too much into it,but thats my take on it.

FelixZ
2007-02-12, 01:36 PM
<snip>

OR, the 'dwagons' and 'twolls' could represent evil... What better way to get out your inner child of destruction than to kill a carebear with a +5 keen vorpal falchion of infinite critting?

The Shadow
2007-02-12, 03:24 PM
Did anyone else notice that the Whatevermancers that are making the moves in panel nine are shackled? Seems like Stanley just has slaves, no real allies.

Oh! Those are chains! I didn't recognize what they were.

I was just going to ask why the Tool didn't just have them cast the Warlord spell. While they *could* be Lookamancers based on what they're doing, the blue glow seems to indicate they're Findamancers.

If they're slaves, that helps explain it. Wanda's more trusted.

KillerCardinal
2007-02-12, 04:01 PM
Oh! Those are chains! I didn't recognize what they were.

I was just going to ask why the Tool didn't just have them cast the Warlord spell. While they *could* be Lookamancers based on what they're doing, the blue glow seems to indicate they're Findamancers.

If they're slaves, that helps explain it. Wanda's more trusted.

Or they aren't good enough. Mind you, they probably are slaves now that its been mentioned, but still. Just because they are findamancers doesn't mean that they are good enough to cast the spell. :smallsmile:

Zavion
2007-02-12, 06:00 PM
For all we know, they could be statamancers?

But, I didn't really notice the chains, I thought it was like, smoke from their hands as they brought them up. Stupid Ultima Online.

But, the first view of Wanda hearing about Jillian she is most certainly terrified or shocked. Why, we can't be sure. Does she actually dislike torrture? Did she free Jillian last time? Are they in love? Could she be just shocked that Jillian is dumb enough to get captured again? I have no idea. But she's definitally shocked rather than happy.

Her pupils are smaller than usual, she has lines under her eyes which indicates a sort of 'overopening' of the eyes and worry, and her eyebrows have a sort of 'Oh, ****' look. Her mouth has a sort of tremble as if she's biting her lip.

The second shot is a little more confusing, but it looks like a sort of "Excuse me! I have to powder my face! Could you wait here!" *Climbs out the Bathroom Window* sort of look to it. Like, she's looks a little panicked, even stuttering a little. Fortunately for her, Stanley is a goof and assumes she's on the level. We can't assume Wanda is doing anything traitorous, but for some reason Jillian being there is causing her grief or shock of some sort. She's definitally looking nervous, for whatever reason.

If she was truely happy for her oppurtunity to cause somebody harm, I'd be expecting some sort of grin, smirk or just a stoic face, not like an "O!" face.

Edit: Definitally chains. I must had missed the manicles for cuffs at a glance.

Aliquid
2007-02-12, 06:38 PM
The second shot is a little more confusing, but it looks like a sort of "Excuse me! I have to powder my face! Could you wait here!" *Climbs out the Bathroom Window* sort of look to it. Like, she's looks a little panicked, even stuttering a little. That's one of the best descriptions I have read so far.

Jorkens
2007-02-12, 07:00 PM
Her pupils are smaller than usual, she has lines under her eyes which indicates a sort of 'overopening' of the eyes and worry, and her eyebrows have a sort of 'Oh, ****' look. Her mouth has a sort of tremble as if she's biting her lip.

I'd read that as being heart-in-mouth excitement / anticipation. There's something she wants so much she's almost lost control of herself. But Jami and Rob being Jami and Rob, I'm not placing any bets on what that something is.

But yeah, I hadn't looked hard at the second panel, and she does look more worried there... although that could also be read as looking hopeful in a "please please please let me go and interrogate her" sort of way.

The Shadow
2007-02-12, 07:48 PM
Or they aren't good enough. Mind you, they probably are slaves now that its been mentioned, but still. Just because they are findamancers doesn't mean that they are good enough to cast the spell. :smallsmile:

I'd think just about any Findamancer would be better than a Croakamancer who dabbles in Findamancy.

KillerCardinal
2007-02-12, 08:45 PM
I'd think just about any Findamancer would be better than a Croakamancer who dabbles in Findamancy.

I got the feeling that she is quite good at all the magics, but just happens to prefer Croakamancy. In D&D terms, a 3rd level specialist in Evocation is not necessarily better at Evocation than a 14th level specialist in Evocation(assuming that Evocation isn't the barred school of course:tongue: ).
Mind you, this is all speculation since we really don't know what's going on with the magic system here:smallsigh: .

The_Old_Fox
2007-02-12, 11:19 PM
hmmm... woman in jail with busty and sadistic dominator. I saw a movie like that once.
Well, more than once..... :smallsigh:

I wonder though if Parson is going to have a crisis on conscience, but that is hard to have happen when your existance is bound up in following a complete tool.

SandroTheMaster
2007-02-13, 01:50 AM
Ah... Dungeon Keeper... evil doesn't get any better than that. People think evil is stealing cars and shooting hookers and fools. No. The old days show what real evil is about. It's about fun. Not raw fun, but sophisticated fun where raw fun is just a spice. Oh, just so you all know, "raw fun" is violence, "sophisticate fun" is imprisoning, torturing, sacrificing and give to feed to your minions the pesky "good guys".

I know, I do know it looks kinda off-topic, but someone did mention Dungeon Keeper 2, and that just brought back some memories. Although DK2 is not as good as 1, just for being less of everything (quality AND quantity people, not only quality. Or people get bored too soon. That's to Ubisoft's guys too for Heroes V).

Back to the hot question in line: Does Wanda likes the idea of torturing Jillian or is terrified. I would put my money on "LOVES" the idea. For: a) Stanley can be a complete idiot, but he told Wanda of Jillian like a gift that he knows she loves. Like giving candies to Oprah. But maybe he IS naive enough to think that she likes it. b) Wanda does makes a strange face. But then again, she said she can't laugh. Quite probably she can't smile either, and was struggling to grim. She looked apathectic and unexpressive so far, so showing any emotion at all can be something she can't do very well. Also, she is a croakmancer, (AKA Necromancer) so she is, by definition, spooky and creepy (like me), meaning, its ok for her to make strange expressions or whatsoever. Also, her look is kinda psychotic-ish. She can be enloved with Jillian. With the amount of pain she can endure and quite possibly the amount of damage she can bare (aka Hit Points), to be precisely. c) That "Wanda let her out" approach doesn't appeal me. That because Jillian don't seem to be the "diplomatic friendly and subtle" kind, but rather the "bust out of jail by pure brute force" kind. Thinking of her subtle, conspiring with a highly smart "spy" for favorable results doesn't looks like her. But shouting "BRING THEM ON" to the overwhelming odds does. Actually, I think she would be happier with the evil side, aside from the fact that she would have to abide to some idiot's rule, thanks to their violent nature and, right now, the odds against them.

But heck, I can be wrong. And I don't feel the slightest desire to question the creator of the history with what he does, much less influencing him in doing differently to what he feels like with his story. Being influenced as little as he allows himself to by his fans is the optimal. Being a writer myself I know a thing or two about how frustrating can it be for people to be just randomly telling how your story should go on.

PS: Dungeon Keeper is one of the best PC games there is (siding with Fallout, Baldur's Gate, Sam & Max, and other classics). Sacrifice the chicken and thou shall suffer!

Daraken
2007-02-13, 11:38 AM
Hmm, all this talk about Wanda and Jillian, and no one seems to care who exactly might be in Parson's retinue? I foresee new characters coming up!

V Junior
2007-02-13, 12:35 PM
If Parson's Lord Hamster, I'm Lady Kitty-Kat!

/lol/

ichthus
2007-02-13, 03:52 PM
I am aware of Proxying, but I really don't see Parson as the type of guy to have a whole bunch of childrens toys lying around. Care-bears? Glass unicorns? (he isn't a 12 year old girl). The Arkenhammer is an infant's toy. Do you see any babies in his apartment? The only thing he has are Peeps.

No, but all of those things are usually found fairly cheap at any thrift store, Big Lots, or any type of bargain bin/flea market place. You use what you can get for cheap.

Sisqui
2007-02-13, 07:55 PM
My view on the correspondences between Erfworld and Parson's game?

Remember, Wanda says that the spell summons the Perfect Warlord from all existence. How big is all existence, anyway?

I would say that it's something like coincidence, but not quite. Imagine, if you will, worlds upon worlds, all possible worlds. Many with warlords and wargame enthusiasts. And between all the wargame enthusiasts on all possible worlds, the one whose most recent game most resembled Erfworld was Parson Lord Hamster's.

So when the summoning spell searched all possible worlds, and Stanley set his criteria... Parson, with his game, was the best match Wanda could find.

Thus, in some sense, it is a coincidence that Erfworld so resembles Parson's game, but such a coincidence was all but inevitable given the nature of the spell that summoned him. And in that sense, it isn't a coincidence at all - BUT it does not mean that Erfworld IS Parson's game.

Another factor: recall that Wanda is not a Findamancer. So not only was she unable to find a warlord that met Stanley's pretty-boy requirements, but the summoned warlord's preferred war game may also fail to match Erfworld in various respects. It could be that, a few quanta over in the eleventh dimension, there was a warlord or war gamer who had created a war game involving dwagons, twolls, gwiffons, and all that - but Wanda was not quite adept enough to find him or her.

EDIT: Or... maybe the closest match for a warlord whose war-fighting world did match Erfworld was none other than Prince Ansom, and safeguards built into the spell by the Findamancers ensured it wouldn't summon him.

Kind of like a quantum physics google search.........

PlugNPlay
2007-02-14, 10:31 AM
I thought for sure several episodes ago that Jillian put herself in harms way in order to be captured and reunited with her lover Wanda. But I looked very closely at the bottom of episode 8, and decided that the little waif had to be Jillian out of her armor. She clearly wants to go to Ansom, but her ego is too strong. She is too invested in the "BRING IT ON!" front she puts up. This is clearly a layered personality. I'm not willing to believe just yet that she has another layer of that subconsciously drives her to Wanda. Though who knows? Maybe they're sisters or something and it is not a competition between Wanda and Ansom.