PDA

View Full Version : [PrC] All those who oppose his shields must yield!

MagFlare
2007-02-10, 05:39 PM
Bulwark
{table=head]Level|Base Attack[br]Bonus|Fort Save|Ref Save|Will Save|Special

1st|
+1|
+2|
+2|
+0|Greater Shield Bash, Edgewise, Lesser Dual-Shield Training

2nd|
+2|
+3|
+3|
+0|Shield Lob, Skillful Bash

3rd|
+3|
+3|
+3|
+1|Supreme Shield Bash, Dual-Shield Training

4th|
+4|
+4|
+4|
+1|Ricochet, Mighty Bash

5th|
+5|
+4|
+4|
+1|Greater Dual-Shield Training[/table]

Hit Die: d10.

Requirements: BAB +6, shield proficiency, Improved Shield Bash, Two Weapon Fighting, Two Weapon Defense

Class Skills: The Bulwark's class skills (and the key ability for each skill) are Climb (Str), Craft (Int), Handle Animal (Cha), Intimidate (Cha), Jump (Str), Ride (Dex), and Swim (Str).

Skill Points per Level: 2 + Int modifier.

Class Features

Greater Shield Bash: The Bulwark's special training with shields allows him to wring more damage out of a shield bash. Treat any shield in a Bulwark's hands as if it were designed for a creature one size category larger than the Bulwark is. (This stacks with the similar bonus provided by shield spikes.)

Edgewise: At his option, the Bulwark may choose to do slashing rather than bludgeoning (or piercing, in the case of spiked shields) damage with a shield bash. This allows shields to be enchanted with the Vorpal enhancement.

Lesser Dual-Shield Training: Although usually only the shield in the Bulwark's primary hand provides a shield bonus, the Bulwark gains an additional +1 shield bonus to AC from any shield in his off-hand. Thus, a Bulwark wielding two heavy shields, each with a +3 enhancement bonus, would receive a +6 shield bonus. This stacks with the bonus provided by Two-Weapon Defense.

Shield Lob: The Bulwark can hurl light and heavy shields as ranged weapons. Treat a shield used in this manner as a thrown weapon with a range increment of 10 feet.

Skillful Bash: Any shield in the Bulwark's hands is treated as though it has a critical range of 19-20, rather than just 20.

Supreme Shield Bash: The Bulwark is now capable of bashing with tower shields, which are treated as heavy shields designed for a creature one size category larger than the Bulwark is. (This stacks with the similar bonuses provided by shield spikes and Greater Shield Bash.) The Bulwark still receives a -2 to his attack rolls when using a tower shield; this penalty is increased to -4 if he chooses to fight with two tower shields.

Dual-Shield Training: Although usually only the shield in the Bulwark's primary hand provides a shield bonus, the Bulwark gains an additional shield bonus to AC from any shield in his off-hand equal to the shield's shield bonus, including any enchantments, divided by two (rounded down). Thus, a Bulwark wielding two heavy shields, each with a +3 enhancement bonus, would receive a +7 shield bonus. This stacks with the bonus provided by Two-Weapon Defense.

Ricochet: The Bulwark may hurl his shields in such a way that they strike an enemy and return to his hand. When a Bulwark uses the Shield Lob technique, he is entitled to a DC 15 Reflex save to catch the shield as it ricochets off a foe. If he succeeds, the shield returns to his hand. If he fails, the shield lands on the ground in the same square he occupies. The Ricochet technique can't be used if the Shield Lob fails to hit its target.

Mighty Bash: Any shield in the Bulwark's hands is treated as though it has a critical multiplier of x3, rather than just x2.

Greater Dual-Shield Training: When the Bulwark is fighting with two shields, the shield bonuses from both shields stack. Thus, a Bulwark wielding two heavy shields, each with a +3 enhancement bonus, would receive a +10 shield bonus. This stacks with the bonus provided by Two-Weapon Defense. Additionally, a Bulwark armed with two shields may use his shields to take cover just as if he were using a tower shield.

Rama_Lei
2007-02-10, 06:01 PM
I love it! It's unique and fun, and makes for great fluff and crunch.

Grey Watcher
2007-02-10, 06:46 PM
Wow. I wish I'd seen this before I got involved in my current campaign. :smallwink:

MagFlare
2007-02-10, 07:26 PM
Thanks for the positive feedback. Do you think it's balanced?

Triaxx
2007-02-11, 07:35 AM
Is it just me, or are the saves not quite right? And personally, I think the reflex check for catching a rebounding sheild should be about 20, with a chance of some damage on failure.

Jibar
2007-02-11, 07:40 AM
When Captain America throws his mighty shield all those who chose to oppose his shield must yield!

So awesome man. So awesome.

MagFlare
2007-02-11, 02:34 PM
Is it just me, or are the saves not quite right?

They're in line with what other five-level prestige classes receive. (Observe. (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/prestigeClasses/archmage.htm) Also, observe. (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/prestigeClasses/hierophant.htm)) It's always possible I missed something important, though.

And personally, I think the reflex check for catching a rebounding sheild should be about 20, with a chance of some damage on failure.Believe me, I considered it. But someone who's tossing shields around has enough to worry about already, I think; throwing the shield takes a standard action, and the range on it is pretty poor. I figured that players wouldn't need any more discouragement from using the Shield Lob.

When Captain America throws his mighty shield all those who chose to oppose his shield must yield!
So awesome man. So awesome.

You get a cookie for catching the reference.

Evil_Pacifist
2007-02-11, 03:57 PM
Wow. Awesome. Sounds fun to play...

Icewalker
2007-02-11, 06:15 PM
I like it, although I don't fully understand how the various Dual-Shield abilities work. Also, I suggest adding that ricochet only works if you actually hit them, or at least miss by an amount equal to or less than their bonuses from armor and parrying.

MagFlare
2007-02-12, 04:52 AM
I like it, although I don't fully understand how the various Dual-Shield abilities work. Also, I suggest adding that ricochet only works if you actually hit them, or at least miss by an amount equal to or less than their bonuses from armor and parrying.

Well, it's agreed that under normal circumstances shield bonuses don't stack, right? A character holding a shield in each hand will only gain the benefits of one of those shields. The idea is that the Dual-Shield Training abilities gradually allow a character to gain AC bonuses from wielding a second shield.

And I added a line to the Ricochet description to make it clear that only a successfully thrown shield can return to its owner.