PDA

View Full Version : Wanda: Happy or Scared?

Minchandre
2007-02-10, 11:22 PM
So, there's been a lot of debate as to whether Wanda is demonstrating near-orgasmic ecstasy and anticipation, or near-deathly concern and fear in #24.

Personally, I think the former, but I wanted to see what you, the people of the forum, thought. Thus the poll.

Sisqui
2007-02-10, 11:29 PM
I would have voted both, but that wasn't an option. I think she was happy to see Jillian and scared that she was there at the same time. It didn't really occur to me that she wasn't faking it for The Tool until I read other people's posts......:smallconfused:

Guildorn Tanaleth
2007-02-10, 11:43 PM
I still think she looks fearful.

Aiani
2007-02-10, 11:47 PM
I'd say happy. She was in an awful hurry to get out of there and do whatever it is she does with prisoners.

Shadow of the Sun
2007-02-10, 11:55 PM
I have had an expression like that before. When I was on the verge of a nervous breakdown.

Krytha
2007-02-10, 11:55 PM
I think she was OH MY GOD HE DIDN'T! YES YES YES YES but in a really creepy way. So... happy...

Alex Kidd
2007-02-11, 04:40 AM
I was in the fear boat until I had a close look at the 10th panel, the 8th panel could go both ways but the second seems more like scary fetishistic joy.

Om
2007-02-11, 06:16 AM
Its Christmas come early for her.

Captain van der Decken
2007-02-11, 06:19 AM
Looked like a kinda creepy-ecstatic expression.

InfernalistGame
2007-02-11, 06:55 AM
Nah... this is concern. She knows Jillian, and she's going down there to fake torturing her, trade info, and make sure she's safe. She's shook.

Erk
2007-02-11, 06:56 AM
Like I said in a similar thread, panels 10 and 11 clear up any ambiguity. If she was at all unhappy about the idea she would have at least hesitated, more probably would have waited to be ordered out and not run off like a six year old on christmas morning.

Nemal
2007-02-11, 09:14 AM
Like I said in a similar thread, panels 10 and 11 clear up any ambiguity. If she was at all unhappy about the idea she would have at least hesitated, more probably would have waited to be ordered out and not run off like a six year old on christmas morning.

Sorry, but I have to disagree with you there.

I believe she's actually afraid for Jillian. The fact that Jillian's managed to escape capture from Stanley's forces many times in the past could quite easily imply that some insider has been helping her.

Which could be Wanda.

In other words, her expression is consistent with:
.oO( Oh crap! She got caught -again-?! How am I gonna get her out of it -this- time? Especially now that we have someone competent at the head... )

Followed by a quick withdrawal before anyone catches on.

Setra
2007-02-11, 09:18 AM
Something I'm confused about...

If Erfworld is censored, wouldn't that make it kinda hard for any real torture to exist?

Chummer
2007-02-11, 09:24 AM
Well its hard to say .. for story purposes id say friends but if you look close enough she is biting her lower lip on that pic or it sure looks like it ...

this in a not unnormal reaction from a female when anticipates forwerth comming plesure....
so either she is exited and cant wait or this comic will be X-ratedet

The Shadow
2007-02-11, 09:31 AM

If Erfworld is censored, wouldn't that make it kinda hard for any real torture to exist?

Excellent point. Erfworld torture might take on amusing G-rated forms... Raking fingernails down a blackboard, nailing the toilet seat upright, playing Celine Dion albums... (Proof of Thog's evil, by the way.)

Reminds me of the Retief books, where alien ideas of torture are just plain not scary to humans. One race was convinced that the worst thing you could do to a Terran was to play Judy Garland movies! Another tried exposing Retief to odors his own race found appallingly ghastly, but Retief found them mildly pleasant.

agentx42
2007-02-11, 09:50 AM
Happy. Frighteningly happy. Happy in a Snidely Whiplash 'bwah ha haa' way. She and the Big Hamster are gonna knock heads more than once and she's gonna come out on top every time.

Maurog
2007-02-11, 10:37 AM
Why do you think he cares? They are just units to him...

Furin_Mirado
2007-02-11, 10:50 AM
Okay, I had to read the comic a few times and then I thought I understood it. I thought she seemed really happy and was eager to get back to her favorite prisoner. Remember her comment that she doesn't laugh? I bet she doesn't really smile either, hence the odd expression when she tries.

But then I read this thread and there are some really good arguments. Perhaps she actually *likes* Jillian and is rushing to make sure she's alright. The Tool mistakes this for enthusiasm and she can maintain her cover as the one that keeps setting Jillian free.

It could really go either way for me now. You are wicked, wicked people for making me change my mind. I hope you're happy.:smallannoyed:

Ogenki
2007-02-11, 04:04 PM
Wanda's a bad girl... well loyal to Stanley at least
1. She brought a competent warlord to Stanley.
2. She's responsible for uncroaking troops
3. She gives good advice to Stanley.
4. She specializes in croakmancy, not happyfluffymancy.

That said, she could be happy to see Jillian for reasons other than what Stanley thinks. Jillian apparently gets captured all the time so maybe they have a erfworld-style S&M relationship or something.

mockingbyrd7
2007-02-11, 04:10 PM
I would have voted both, but that wasn't an option. I think she was happy to see Jillian and scared that she was there at the same time. It didn't really occur to me that she wasn't faking it for The Tool until I read other people's posts......:smallconfused:

I agree, both. But I voted Happiness.

Dr._Weird
2007-02-11, 04:39 PM
Where's the comedy/Thog option? I won't vote without it.

I'm not sure which.

Raistlin1040
2007-02-11, 05:15 PM
She's happy. For what reason I don't know. Maybe she's going to torture Jillian or maybe use other "methods".

Hazkali
2007-02-11, 05:45 PM
When I first read it I thought scared/upset, but 'happiness' or something similar seems more correct now...it's a bit ambiguous...

Erk
2007-02-11, 10:05 PM

Just because there is a swear filter doesn't mean it is actually censored. It seems to me it would suit the divine comedy of Erfworld to prevent people from saying "boop" but allow them to do gruesome things to each other. We already know they are in a war, after all, so clearly they can be hurt and injured. At worst, probably they don't gush blood and get gore on everything when they are tortured.

Regarding a possible relationship between wanda/jillian, while they definitely must know each other outside of this encounter, it seems odd to me that Wanda would work so hard to offer advice to Stanley and then aid his enemies behind his back. She stepped out of her way to serve her lord... if she wanted him to lose she could simply have not told him about the spell. However, it is possible that her relationship with jillian isn't an enemy one, which could explain Jillian's escapes. I am curious now to see how this goes.

Harr
2007-02-11, 11:47 PM
Just the fact that Stanley is so sure and cocky of what's going on and what Wanda's reaction is going to be, is a pretty clear indicator that something else is going on.

It's odd how so many people are willing to follow the Tool's lead on this so cheerfuly... It's such a blatant setup for some kind of 'Stanley thought this, but this other thing is going on!' type of twist later on, that I'll be pleasantly surprised if it does turn out to be just like he thinks it is.

Aliquid
2007-02-12, 01:13 AM
Just the fact that Stanley is so sure and cocky of what's going on and what Wanda's reaction is going to be, is a pretty clear indicator that something else is going on.

It's odd how so many people are willing to follow the Tool's lead on this so cheerfuly... It's such a blatant setup for some kind of 'Stanley thought this, but this other thing is going on!' type of twist later on, that I'll be pleasantly surprised if it does turn out to be just like he thinks it is.I completely agree with the above.

It might not be fear though, she might be upset or concerned. It might screw up some plans she had, and now she has to do damage control... who knows.

Beleriphon
2007-02-12, 01:47 AM
I voted for happy, or at least a certain nervous eagerness. Hannibal Lecter ends up with a similar look when he's killing people. Also Wanda tortures people as a hobby, I wouldn't suspect that this will be any different.

WarriorTribble
2007-02-12, 02:46 AM
Her eyes say scared, but her lips say happy.

Om
2007-02-12, 06:01 AM
Just the fact that Stanley is so sure and cocky of what's going on and what Wanda's reaction is going to be, is a pretty clear indicator that something else is going on.Either that or this is something that has happened many times before. Stanley knows how Wanda will react because this is not the first time she's done this.

Wanda is an intelligent and capable underling who serves a moron. Call it the PHB syndrome. We can all empathize with that. But that does not mean that she is "good".

Earendill
2007-02-12, 10:26 AM

It's odd how so many people are willing to follow the Tool's lead on this so cheerfuly... It's such a blatant setup for some kind of 'Stanley thought this, but this other thing is going on!' type of twist later on, that I'll be pleasantly surprised if it does turn out to be just like he thinks it is.

Completely agree with that. Stanley was wrong in 99% of his assumptions about other people's motives - why would he be right now ?

There has to be some continuity in a character. Wanda was portrayed as a depressed, discouraged and unhappy servant of a stupid leader, but she never did any "evil" action:

- she refuses to promote another warlord just to get him killed.
- she expresses her own pain at several points (headache spell, burden of not having a purpose in magic)
- people treat her with more then just respect or fear - see Sizemore and Bogroll...thats not the way you talk with a known sadistic chick.
- she actually sees through Parsons Tool trick but sticks with it.
- she seems compassionate at some points (when she tells sizemore that not even a grand Abbie could stop the incoming war...its almost like she regrets it)

Having her now turned into a sadistic torturer (while possible) would be a sever twist in her character continuity. I really doubt it will happen.

Also - the fact that she immediately leaves an extremely important meeting to go check on Jillian ..... doesn't really fit with someone "following her hobby" - hobbies usually can wait a bit. Imagine someone that participates in a top level reunion at his company - he takes a phone call then excuses himself and leaves. What are the odds he a) is going on a fishing trip/sport game or b) his kid/wife got sick and need him ?

Corolinth
2007-02-12, 05:30 PM
She's happy to see Jillian, it's the why that's unclear at this point.

Indon
2007-02-12, 05:47 PM
I put fear, but I really think it's a combination of both.

I suspect that Wanda and Jillian are friends (quite possibly the only real friend they have, for one or maybe both), and Wanda is both concerned about her welfare and interested to talk with her again.

Sewer_Bandito
2007-02-12, 08:10 PM
I'm going to have to go with overwhelming glee on this one. I think Wanda has a deep hatred of Jillian and can hardly wait to torture her.

Callos_DeTerran
2007-02-13, 02:16 PM
Wanda's a bad girl... well loyal to Stanley at least
1. She brought a competent warlord to Stanley.
2. She's responsible for uncroaking troops
3. She gives good advice to Stanley.
4. She specializes in croakmancy, not happyfluffymancy.

That said, she could be happy to see Jillian for reasons other than what Stanley thinks. Jillian apparently gets captured all the time so maybe they have a erfworld-style S&M relationship or something.

You know...I can't believe I only just thought of this now...but what is Wanda essentially?....A necromancer...and what do necromancer's like doing? Making undead. Maybe her outlandish (And as someone else said, nigh-orgasmic) glee at hearing Jillian has been captured is because now she can make a really powerful Uncroaked unit. Maybe she's just excited that she gets to interrogate Jillian then uncroak her once the job is done.

....then again I'm hoping for the WandaxJillian scenario. :smallbiggrin:

Uzraid
2007-02-13, 02:53 PM
Since it seems like a really long reach to interpret Wanda's expression as anything but ecstasy, I'm going to try to reach even further.

Let's see.

Her expression is one of extreme hunger. Over the past several nights Wanda may have been having a recurring dream about Jillian in which they reenact a night of drunken experiementation during PC college. That's right, PC college, where both Wanda (Double Major in Croakamancy and Environmental Studies) and Jillian (Major: Barbarity, with honors) attended, graduating together in 645. After graduating, they drifted apart, but Wanda has always wondered what could have happened if they had gone forward with their schnapps-induced idea for a women's gwiffon polo league. She has very recenetly floated this idea to Stanley as a scheme for replenishing his treasury if they succeed in their defense of Gobwin Knob. Afterwards, in the dream, Wanda ate the best turkey club sandwich ever, and a delicious, ever-so-slightly spicy tomato bisque, which is why her expression is one of hunger. I interpret it this way because we don't know that it's not true.

Seriously: Ockham's razor exists for a reason. Do not multiply entities unecessarily.

U

Larrin
2007-02-13, 03:56 PM
At first i thought it was concern on her face and lord stanley misinterpreter her

then i looked again and the quirk of her lips and a few other signs point that she's in a state of disbelieving happiness, with overtoness of "something-not-right"-ness

now i'm just not sure, it really is vauge and could be either. lets face it, the authors have some pretty non-standard ways of doing things, and its hard to say how much they meant to put in her face as opposed to how much is seen by us. Remember, she is a drawn character, her motives only show up on her face to the extent that the artist can draw it, and sometimes it comes out other then he may have meant...