PDA

View Full Version : [Starcraft Stats] Zergling

ShneekeyTheLost
2007-02-13, 12:07 AM
Individually, a Zergling isn't that big a threat. It is a warped creature about the size of a large dog with sharp fangs and claws. They are noted for their speed, and for their numbers. They are part of a larger Hive Mind, which is the Swarm. Used mostly for reconnisance in force in small packs, but can overrun even fortified defenses in large groups.

{table]Zergling
Size/Type:Medium Aberration [Zerg]
Hit Dice:4d8 (22 hp)
Initiative:+3
Speed:40 ft. (8 squares)
Armor Class:16 (+3 Dex, +3 natural), touch 13, flat-footed 13
Base Attack/Grapple:+3/-1
Attack:Bite +4 melee (1d6+1), Claw +4 melee (1d4+1)
Full Attack:Bite +4 melee (1d6+1) and two Claw +2 melee (1d4+1)Space/Reach:5 ft./5 ft.
Special Attacks:—
Special Qualities:darkvision 60 ft., low-light vision, Hive Mind, Burrow
Saves:Fort +4, Ref +7, Will +8
Abilities:Str 12, Dex 17, Con 12, Int 10, Wis 13, Cha 11
Skills:Hide +7, Listen +5, Spot +5, Survival +4
Feats:Run, Multiattack
Environment:Anywhere the Zerg are
Organization:Scouting Pair, Recon Pack (6-12), Combat Swarm (36-48)
Challenge Rating:2
Treasure:None
Alignment:Lawful Evil
Advancement:See Notes
Level Adjustment:-[/table]

Hive Mind (Ex)

All Zerg are in constant communication via Overlords, and Cerebrates. If one is aware of a particular danger, they all are. If one in a group is not flat-footed, none of them are. Zerg units are highly resistant to any form of mind-affecting abilities due to the Overmind being present in their mind already. This gives them a +4 to their Will Saves, and any mind-affecting spell, power, or ability needs to overcome a SR/PR 25.

Burrow (Ex)

As a full-round action which provokes an attack of opportunity, most Zerg ground units, including Zerglings, may burrow into the ground. While so burrowed, Zerglings may not attack, however their presence is nearly impossible to detect. He may pop out as a move action which provokes an attack of opportunity if the opponent is not flat-footed or surprised.

Advancement

At 6hd, Zerglings are considered to be Advanced Zerglings. They gain the following benefits: Unarmed attacks have +1 Enhancement Bonus to attack and damage, and are considered to be both Magic and Adamantine for the purposes of overcomming DR (Hey, they have to be able to tear through Siege Tank armor, right?). They also have Evasion, +2 Natural Armor, and are considered to be Hasted as well. +2 LA.

Gralamin
2007-02-13, 12:11 AM
Yeah Zerglings!

Archonic Energy
2007-02-13, 12:16 AM
Woohoo...

now to make my pet Zergling "fluffy"

Nebo_
2007-02-13, 12:19 AM
I would say they are medium, not small

ShneekeyTheLost
2007-02-13, 12:21 AM
I would say they are medium, not small

I am taking a Marine, Firebat, and Ghost to be the definition of 'Medium' in Starcraft, as these are all humans.

A zergling is about half the size of a human. In the Starcraft game, during a cutscene, someone runs over one with a truck. The Zergling is about the size of a halfling or a gnome... Small size.

Gralamin
2007-02-13, 12:26 AM
Umm they don't run over it, they hit it, and its about chest high on a human and double their width at least, their medium

Demented
2007-02-13, 12:39 AM
It's the size of a pony, moves like a jackrabbit, and has the body of a cat/armadillo crossbreed.

averagejoe
2007-02-13, 01:44 AM
It seems like advanced 'lings should have their movement speed increased. Or even the normal ones. Them's some fast critters.

ShneekeyTheLost
2007-02-13, 01:56 AM
It seems like advanced 'lings should have their movement speed increased. Or even the normal ones. Them's some fast critters.

Haste increases it's move by 30/rd, effectively doubling it's land speed. I figured that ought to do well enough. It also gives 'em an extra attack per round, which is in keeping with the max-upgraded zergling's faster attack speed.

elliott20
2007-02-13, 01:57 AM
I also think it would be appropriate for some of the more special breeds to have feats to denote such, like stronger armor or an adrenaline gland upgrade.

ShneekeyTheLost
2007-02-13, 02:19 AM
I also think it would be appropriate for some of the more special breeds to have feats to denote such, like stronger armor or an adrenaline gland upgrade.

Well, I kind of inserted the adremaline gland upgrade in with the 6 hd package, with the Haste. Giving them a +1 to hit and damage, and more importantly, giving them the ability to bypass magic/adamantine DR is a real boon as well, I figured that was worth the +3 max to zergling damage.

I really hadn't thought about upgrading their natural armor... but it does seem logical, anyways.

Behold_the_Void
2007-02-13, 02:26 AM
They should probably move at 40 ft. per round, standard zerglings are faster than Terran units, as I recall. Unless you want to say that's because of Terran Heavy Armor, which I don't really think is the case for ghosts, who zerglings I'm pretty sure can still outrun.

The Orange Zergling
2007-02-13, 02:32 AM
Yeah, them zerg's are fast lil buggers. I'd also say they're medium size, but whatever.

CockroachTeaParty
2007-02-13, 02:42 AM
As an aberration, shouldn't it have d8's for HD instead of d10's?

edit: also, you need to add in the size bonus to AC.

Icewalker
2007-02-13, 10:52 AM
I love it! Making a whole starcraft dnd setting would be awesome...

As to comments on it being medium, in the scene where they hit the zergling with the truck, one of them comments "looks like you mashed some old fellers dog, sarge" So the zergling is apparently about the size of a (probably very large) dog. I'd say thats size small.

That Hive Mind ability is really really powerful, and it brings up some problems with the CR. Alone, CR is probably 2. In a group of two, CR is probably whatever 2 CR 2s would be. In a group of 6-12, the CR would probably be more than the amount 6-12 normal CR2s would have, as they are practically immune to flanking and being flatfooted. I dunno. (however, those immunities may not be enough to bring up the CR of each individual to 3 when in groups, so maybe it is best to just keep it where it is.)

elliott20
2007-02-13, 11:23 AM
not being flat footed I can understand. After all, the mind link essentially means that it would be harder to surprise them unless you get the entire group. Not being able to be flanked? that makes no sense what so ever.

Just because it is aware of you presence doesn't mean that it can ignore how difficult it is to fight against two foes at the same time. If anything, zerg disposition is to simply let the flanking happen while they simply focus on creature.

The mindlink really works more like the players sitting at the table discussing tactics while their characters never once speak to each other about tactics and yet somehow come out working together perfectly. That's what the mind link should do. It allows the zerglings to have perfect synchronization and so their attack will always be coordinated in some fashion.

ShneekeyTheLost
2007-02-13, 03:57 PM
Size increased to Medium, although I still think they're not bigger than a halfer. Removed INA to keep damage the same (individual hits are the weakest in the game, after all). This increased their base speed automatically to faster than a human.

And I had copied the Hive Mind ability from the Formian Worker in the SRD since they were about the only thing I could think of off hand which acted like a hive mind.

mikeejimbo
2007-02-13, 04:01 PM
Isn't there a Starcraft RPG?

Edit: Wikipedia has a little to say, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/StarCraft_Adventures

Anyway, could be useful for inspiration at least.

Yakk
2007-02-13, 04:20 PM
They should get tremor sense when they burrow.

Note that Zerglings are weak compared to very high-tech space marines.

Eighth_Seraph
2007-02-13, 06:47 PM
This is awesome. If you're planning on statting out more, it would be a good idea to start compiling the individual units and maybe have a full-scale war between two conflicting...whatever the Overmind's lesser controllers were coalled.

mikeejimbo
2007-02-13, 06:52 PM
Cerebrates, weren't they?

And yes, I agree.

Icewalker
2007-02-13, 07:04 PM
Running a starcraft campaign could be one of the coolest things ever. Except how could you have PCs? Someone else recently made the Protoss (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=34741) as a race, and terran are simple enough (except for the gear). Zerg wouldn't be easy to do as a race...

The biggest problem would probably be classes. Protoss could have stuff like Zealot, Templar, Dark Templar, or some such...

It could work with Terran not even having a class. Just the same progression and maybe bonuses to certain gear as they level...I dunno, just brainstorming ideas, as I think this would be reeeeally fun to DM.

elliott20
2007-02-13, 07:27 PM
well, a starcraft game would essentially be run with some kind of D20 or even starwars variant.

mikeejimbo
2007-02-13, 09:10 PM
I believe there's a post on the Wizards board somewhere about converting Alternity: Starcraft into d20. Might be old, though.

I think the Terran could have a few classes, like Marine, Ghost, Medic, and Firebat.

To handle the Zerg, I'd make a Zerg template, and then a variety of "races" for the different types, and apply the Zerg template. Of course, this makes them more like monsters and less viable as PCs, which is a shame because I love the Zerg. Still, it's fitting due to their lack of individuality.

elliott20
2007-02-13, 09:17 PM
well, I think Marine and Firebat would actually be very similar in terms of class since they're both basically GIs with different equipment. If you were to take D20 modern, this would all fix itself.

Ajikozau
2007-02-13, 09:42 PM
I think Advanced Zerglings should be Devouring Ones :D
And a normal terran unit (civilians and ghosts) is like 1/3rd slower than a ling... Giving a ling 90ft movement would create an issue but I think that 60 is more than adequate
I mean.. lings with ups are almost as fast as bats and rines with stims!

ShneekeyTheLost
2007-02-13, 11:54 PM
I think Advanced Zerglings should be Devouring Ones :D
And a normal terran unit (civilians and ghosts) is like 1/3rd slower than a ling... Giving a ling 90ft movement would create an issue but I think that 60 is more than adequate
I mean.. lings with ups are almost as fast as bats and rines with stims!

Advanced Zerglings are not hero units, they are simply upgraded Zerglings. You can upgrade their run speed and their attack speed at the Spawning Pool, and can increase their attack damage and armor at the Evolution Chamber. This is what the Advanced Zergling is attempting to emulate.

A Devouring One would likely have Improved Natural Attack to do D8 bite, and D6 claws, and have actual class levels (probably Warrior or even Fighter, or perchance Rogue).

Next on my list: Mutalisks..

mikeejimbo
2007-02-13, 11:56 PM
well, I think Marine and Firebat would actually be very similar in terms of class since they're both basically GIs with different equipment. If you were to take D20 modern, this would all fix itself.

True, the different training they'd have would just be a slightly different Weapon Proficiency.

I suppose you could do it with d20 Modern and a bit of customization.

ShneekeyTheLost
2007-02-14, 12:05 AM
True, the different training they'd have would just be a slightly different Weapon Proficiency.

I suppose you could do it with d20 Modern and a bit of customization.
Star Wars D20 also has a good Soldier class which has access to lots of good feats, and is cinimatic enough for our purposes. The problem with D20 Modern is a lack of cinimatic elements which Starcraft thrives on.

mikeejimbo
2007-02-14, 12:09 AM
Star Wars D20 also has a good Soldier class which has access to lots of good feats, and is cinimatic enough for our purposes. The problem with D20 Modern is a lack of cinimatic elements which Starcraft thrives on.

I guess you're more-or-less forging a new thing anyway, so taking from various places wouldn't be out of the question.

arnoldrew
2007-02-15, 02:57 PM
Intelligence seems high. I would almost think things like Zerglings and Hydralisks might be classified as Vermin.

Holocron Coder
2007-02-15, 03:04 PM
I think the vermin type is supposed to represent the real world definition of that word.

vermin - noxious, objectionable, or disgusting animals collectively, esp. those of small size that appear commonly and are difficult to control, as flies, lice, bedbugs, cockroaches, mice, and rats.

So, basically vermin amounts to different types of rodents and insects. That's how I always viewed it in DnD.

ShneekeyTheLost
2007-02-15, 03:40 PM
Intelligence seems high. I would almost think things like Zerglings and Hydralisks might be classified as Vermin.

the intelligence of the individual zerglings may well be lower, however due to the hive mind, they function as though they had average intelligence due to the Overmind's control.

And yes, as stated above, I consider Vermin to be non-intelligent creatures much like rats or centepedes. In short, they're too stupid to be affect by mental issues, because they effectively have no mind to control or fool.

I also changed how the Hive Mind works. Now more Rogue friendly, although it is harder to take over their mind. Still not impossible if you can bust through the SR/PR, so the Dark Archons should still be able to pull it off regularly.

Holocron Coder
2007-02-15, 03:59 PM
Mind if later on I take my time and try to write up a Hydralisk stat? Since I saw mention of Ultralisk being the next creation...

ShneekeyTheLost
2007-02-15, 04:18 PM
I just had an idea...

They're Abberations, right? So they can actually gain levels in classes.

You want to make some hero units? Slap a few levels of Fighter onto a Zergling squad... instant CR boost. Make the Zergling and Ultralisk Favored Class to be Fighter. Hydrolisk to be Ranger, and I don't know about Mutalisk just yet.

This would greatly increase the playability of the Zerg units.

Holocron Coder
2007-02-15, 04:46 PM
...Hydrolisk to be Ranger, and I don't know about Mutalisk just yet...

This would greatly increase the playability of the Zerg units.

Not sure about playability, but I doubt a Hydralisk would be a ranger. Unless it can take a zergling as a pet :P

mikeejimbo
2007-02-15, 04:52 PM
Yeah, I'd make Hydralisk a fighter. Fighters can use ranged weapons too.

Or maybe even a barbarian...

Edit: Oh yeah, I meant to say something about the hive mind. You could take over an individual without taking over the whole hive, but why not just take over the cerebrate itself? That would be more efficient, though I imagine immensely hard..we're talking epic, here.

ShneekeyTheLost
2007-02-15, 05:07 PM
Yeah, I'd make Hydralisk a fighter. Fighters can use ranged weapons too.

Or maybe even a barbarian...

Edit: Oh yeah, I meant to say something about the hive mind. You could take over an individual without taking over the whole hive, but why not just take over the cerebrate itself? That would be more efficient, though I imagine immensely hard..we're talking epic, here.

Cerebrates, which are under the direct control of the Overmind, are immune to mind-affecting spells, powers, and abilities. In effect, you'd have to pit your might against the might of the Overmind itself... good effin' chance...

And yea... give Hydrolisks the favored class Fighter. Make Zerglings and Ultralisks Barbarians...

Demented
2007-02-15, 05:17 PM
Or Racial Paragon classes....

Yakk
2007-02-15, 05:24 PM
Players could play a "fragment" of the overmind's mind.

When the bodies die, the "fragment" of control is given a new body. Losing a body is no more dangerous than losing an arrow you shot.

These "fragments" of the overmind's mind could specialize in various abilities. Sometimes they would be given better bodies to fight with.

Holocron Coder
2007-02-15, 05:35 PM
Cerebrates, which are under the direct control of the Overmind, are immune to mind-affecting spells, powers, and abilities. In effect, you'd have to pit your might against the might of the Overmind itself... good effin' chance...

Well, following that line of thought, taking over a normal zerg would be taking over a portion of a cerebrate, which is part of the overmind. Thus, taking over ANY zerg should be impossible.

Rather, I figure it's more along the lines of how divided it is. Given that they only put half their "mind" into the lesser things, that'd be like... given 8 cerebrates, trying to take over 1/16 of an overmind's mind. This works perhaps on the epic level, since I believe Kerrigen did it once or twice in the game. Also, since its division, it makes taking over a normal zerg possible, but cause each horde is several thousand zerg, making it like.. 1/2000 of a cerebrates mind and, thus, 1/32000 of the overmind's mind.

Granted, 1/16 of the overmind's mind is still too much for run-of-the-mill-and-non-epic characters. But 1/32000 is do-able :)

does that make sense to anyone but me? ^_^' Basically, the more split up the overmind is, the less effort it can put into keeping a hold on that creature. It's easy when it only directly controls 8 things, but if it controlled 10000 cerebrates, then taking one wouldn't be as hard.

mikeejimbo
2007-02-15, 05:43 PM
Yeah, I think I kind of get it.

In my mind, taking over a single zerg would mostly be severing its link to the overmind, and after that it'd be easy to take. The severing the link would be the hard part.

Demented
2007-02-15, 06:26 PM
The Overmind guides the Cerebrates which guide the Overlords which guide the Zerg. Thus it's more likely you'd be fighting the will of a single Overlord over a rather insignificant minion than you would a piece of the Overmind. For that matter, the Overmind seems more like the incorporeal sum of all the Zerg's will combined, so it's doubtful you'd ever encounter the Overmind.

As for scale... In the Starcraft manual, there are a handful of "broods", each controlled by a single Cerebrate. Each brood contains anywhere from tens of thousands of individuals, to several million. (Even with Overlords, you're going to need serious multi-tasking abilities as a Cerebrate.)

Holocron Coder
2007-02-15, 07:49 PM
I think that Demented is agreeing with me on some level... haha.

Either way, I'm still wondering if the thread master will let me stat up a Hydralisk :)

ShneekeyTheLost
2007-02-15, 09:01 PM
The Overmind guides the Cerebrates which guide the Overlords which guide the Zerg. Thus it's more likely you'd be fighting the will of a single Overlord over a rather insignificant minion than you would a piece of the Overmind. For that matter, the Overmind seems more like the incorporeal sum of all the Zerg's will combined, so it's doubtful you'd ever encounter the Overmind.

As for scale... In the Starcraft manual, there are a handful of "broods", each controlled by a single Cerebrate. Each brood contains anywhere from tens of thousands of individuals, to several million. (Even with Overlords, you're going to need serious multi-tasking abilities as a Cerebrate.)

Right. That's why the basic Zerg units have a +4 save and SR/PR 25 against mind affecting stuff. It's not impossible, but difficult, as even an Overlord has significant mental fortitude and loathe to relenquish 'its' control. Each overlord is controlling up to 8 units, so it's not inconcievable that this is perfectly balanced.

And this is why the Cerebrates are, in effect, immune to mind-altering stuff. It's not just the will of the cerebrate you're fighting which is significant, but a significant portion of the will of the Overmind itself.

mikeejimbo
2007-02-16, 11:34 PM
Yeah, I agree with that.

ImpFireball
2007-08-06, 01:32 AM
Hey guys, before you go any further with the talk: Zerglings are REALLY powerful.

We're talking powerful as in they can withstand several wounds from not only a gun, but from a gun that shoots supersonic bullets.

Instant stabilization should count for zerglings (in that they MUST be finished off or they'll be back the next day) as well as slow regeneration that occurs over days (maybe additional hp regenerated in one day of rest, rather then the usual 1 hp per level).

EDIT: Alright so this post ressurects. Whatever, someone linked this thread so I thought I'd correct a few things and draw up some further thought. :P

Xuincherguixe
2007-08-06, 01:48 AM
I don't really think that most of the Zerg type units could really work for players. I would say that most of them have intelligence comparable to that of an animal. So, they probably shouldn't be able to take class levels.

Overlords might be able to work as player characters. Cerebrates are probably too strong and don't have very good mobility.

An infested template seems reasonable. Not a lot of precedent here, but it could come in a variety of flavors, granting various extra limbs or the like. Or turn you into a bomb.

Or, maybe some kind of 'self aware' template/mutation. Your character doesn't need to be mind controlled (though it probably would be at various times), but you would be able to be really smart Zergling (it'd be great with Rogue levels).

ImpFireball
2007-08-08, 11:18 AM
The zerg are a combination of many species. Some could be intelligent, and others not. Who knows. The fact that they can act insane without the control of a hive mind should give them sentience, however they should possess no languages except for telepathy.

The fact that they can reason through the overpresence of a hive mind should be another reason in itself.

SurlySeraph
2007-08-08, 01:01 PM
I know someone on these boards homebrewed High Templar and Dark Templar classes, so those would be good in a Starcraft campaign. As for the Terrans, maybe Marines should be able to use their Strength bonus instead of their Dexterity bonus for attack rolls with firearms (since the Marines in-game are portrayed as big and strong, but definitely not graceful).

ImpFireball
2007-08-08, 11:36 PM
That has no semblance on realism however, because according to D20, dexterity is aim as well as coordination. Aim, in a sense, is hand-eye coordination.

Shooting and holding a certain gun might require some strength due to it's size, which can be compensated with something like powered armor.

Also, this is the future, so powered armor is ALOT better then pieces of iron/steel wrapped together (platemail). Realism as in, a single marine can cut a score of orcs in half in 2 rounds through the same system. We'll be dealing in higher numbers, but I guess that comes with trying out something new after learning the standard system.

I'd go with d20 3.5 if looking for any system really. Generally, because if played with a bit it can work (considering it's far better then crap-ass modern or even future).

Simply put, even the classes would remain the same since they represent every avenue of life.

Look at it this way:

Fighter: Soldier, marine, toughguy, rebel, space pirate, space cowboy, commander, etc. Lot's of health like any toughguy, and lots of feats to suit their brutal lifestyle in the military or whatever hardlife they grew up in. Less skills however since they've chosen to dedicate there lives to combat.

Paladin: Simply dedicated. Paladins might only involve protoss with a variation on the zealot. Variants can allow for high templar that fight as well.
You could also have a dedicated marine, but of course that'd only be without healing skills. Paladins might not work for terran at all actually, considering they're completely ignorant of magic as a species (probably because it doesn't exist in the sense).

Wizard: May only work for a variant on terran psychics and protoss templar. Simply put, they must study in order to improve or harness their superpowers to begin with. Spells would change, but some would remain the same with different descriptions. 'Magic missile' might instead become a psionic burst of hot energy that burns upon contact and homes in on its target, ie. They must store their 'spells' on an easy access method of data storage such as a computer chip or simply a book.
Backstories could include terrans being 'wranglers' until they found a way to further unlock their potent abilities, whereas others could be protoss who have a unique method of learning and harnessing their abilities.

Rogue: A spy or an expert. Could be psychic and enlisted in the ghost program (which might make them a ninja actually), but it all depends on the DM. Tools and items will be different in the future, but some will remain in a very cheap 'primitive' format (ie., anyone can get ciggarrettes or hemp rope considering the latter's been around for over a thousand years). There'll be the usual skills as well as dozens of new ones to suit the futuristic setting, as well as differing knowledge skills (some, such as arcane lore, will be taken out for obvious reasons). A rogue could be anything from a con artist, to a skilled and underhandy doctor or field medic (yeah, the ones in powered armor with the shields that you see in the game), to a space cowboy (Semi-Jim Raynor style), to a genius computer programmer. The skill points kinda make almost anything possible. One roleplaying idea might make a character who is a rogue hot-headed, strong minded, and/or stuck with their own beliefs of which they reveal to few people.

Sorceror: Similair to the wizard, except they naturally posess their inborn psychic abilities, which are slowly learned over time as one grows in power. A wizard also possesses psionic traits however they'd have to be unlocked through constant study (memorization) and cyberspace/book research (learning of spells).

Barbarian: Simply a vicious soldier. Some are 'brain panned' through neuro resoc, and others have been imbibed with exotic enhancing drugs. Nevertheless, they're among the toughest terrans around with the highest hit points, rage that increases ranged damage, etc. Roleplaying characteristics could include a dedicated-to-the-government, scary individual, a psychotic criminal, or whatever else. Protoss barbarians might include exceptionally zealous individuals dedicated to their belief. Additionally, the terran unit, the 'reaper' (introduced in starcraft 2), is pretty much a barb-only soldier.
Like every other class that'll be modified to include starcraft-only D20 3.5 skills (as well the fact that there will be race-only skills, that can be taken by protoss/terran but at a disadvantage identical to that of taking cross-class skills), terran barbarians will have 'lethal consumption' to help in saving throws to resist against the negative effects of such drugs as stim packs among other things. Protoss barbarians will have autohypnosis as a skill.

Bard: A reporter, an avid writer, an inspirator among men, a rallyer, a recruiter, a famous performer. Anyone who is skilled in influencing other individuals or is socially inspirational in any sense and who makes a career of it. Yes, influence occurs in the future, and public opinion is highly valuable. Instead of requiring magical instruments however, bards can memorize and incite versus or hymes. Many can be influential through humor, poetry, or romance. All too often a content-hot campaign might result in bard-type characters getting alot of lovin'.

Ranger: Any hunter or seeker of a sort. Rangers are quite often special forces if they're with the government, however they need not have to be ghosts if they're terran. Rangers are merely adept in different avenues of the same division. They can even be determined individuals who live life outdoors as archaeologists, or as any other travelling scientist or doctor of a sort.

Protoss rangers are usually isolated researchers in a league or association who seek items or artifacts of any sort.

Rangers are among the classes in a starcraft-set D20 3.5 who're are the most likely assumed to be involved in an adventure.

Cleric: No, clerics aren't simply the medics of the future terran-wise. If the DM permits it, their 'divine' energy is psychic backwash or any other energy related term that can associate the discovery of magic in the future. If religious situations are allowed by the DM, clerics are usually among the 'pushed aside' religious families and downtrodden organisations who make their often impoverished lives on fringe worlds away from most of the terran government (whether that be Dominion, UED, UPL, Kel-Morian Combine, Umojan Protectorate, or Confederacy). Clerics usually come from the religious families due to their life-time strong devotion that is otherwise looked down upon in an atheistic society. Because the religious issue with the terrans is seperated by nearly 300 years and now, made-up variations on the bible and catholicism are allowed. The families consist of millions, however actual psychically gifted clerics are highly rare and may be limited by the DM if allowed at all.
While other non-cleric terran characters might have other beliefs (which leads to made-up deities for roleplaying purposes) in a struggle to find meaning in life, clerics usually have a more utilitarian and uniform belief system with direct references to real life religion or variations on real life religion. Clerics also have psychic powers that are different from every other class due to their uniquely devoted mind set.

Terran clerics can be soldiers, or of any other occupation, however their beliefs must exist and be abided by (to create the effect of 'faith' or psychic backwash which grants them their divine abilities according to domain). In a thickly urban area, a cleric's beliefs may be kept hidden away and only privately discussed or whatever else. Having strong religious beliefs isn't persecutable by the government, however it's culturally looked down upon and has no power or semblance with law and politics in relation to superpowers.

Protoss clerics are usually preachers (young or old) of the Khala or of whatever belief represents the dark templar. They're of a larger demographic then the humans. They possess similair divine abilities according to allignment and such. Domains remain the same but deities must be completely different from those of terrans.

NOTE: While dimensions, planes and even outsiders are allowable in a starcraft setting by the DM, deities are not considered 'real'. In any sense, psychic backwash of terran clerics (AKA faith and devotion on a psychic, metaphysical level) is the result of their divine abilities, despite the difficulty of science (even in the future) of finding explanation in such things.

Monk: A warrior (usually protoss), who learns the art of war through a merging of mind and body, much like the monks of our world. Protoss monks possess many more powers (mostly for balance reasons in the future due to their lack of tools and/or weapons) due to their inheritantly psychic nature which aids them along on their adventures. 'Ki' in the starcraft universe is essentially the ability to channel psi-energy into strengthening one's unarmed blows.

As for terran, monks are usually specialist or special forces combatants who can use weapons as well as unarmed parts of the body. Additionally, terran monks are aided along by self-enhancing drugs (there's more then one unlike what was explained in the game, since D&D requires detail) as well as futuristic technology.

Psion: An isolated psychic who learns their abilities through meditation and self-discovery. Their powers differ from psychic 'spells' (which still invoke elements in a damage and much of the time, non-visual sense).

Many protoss psions are templar and may be among those who have eventually vowed to meld into archons in the struggle against the voracious zerg.
NOTE: I'll need the creativity of others to help with spells.

Psi-warrior: Protoss only. Should be obvious. Terran are highly highly rare, however those that do because psychic warriors may be required to make frequent contact with protoss (whether pc or npc).

Ninja: An assassin of the future. Usually a ghost trained in the art of war through stealth and lethal strikes.
Many protoss vindicators and/or dark templar can fall into this class category as well.

Class Exclusions: Druids; more to come later. A creative DM can make use of these classes, however they'll have to homebrew a few things for the campaign themselves.

More detail on the races:

Terran: The vast majority are normal ignorant civilians (whatever the name for it is) with jobs in a violent future. An additional section may be added to the 3.5 character sheet (occupation; usually placeable under notes) for this sake, if you want the out of the ordinary adventurers to be required to work, rather then simply be a part of the government or of a criminal, or rebel terrorist, or pirate organisation. More creativity in backstories might result, which is a good thing. Occupations shouldn't really have any actual effect on stats unless permitted by the DM. Occupations can be selected as a result of stats, or might be illogical despite your character's skills and traits (usually resulting in a cheap job, if your character is young and lost in life or whatever other description you might choose to provide).

Terran vehicles can be pillotted with appropriate skills, and crafts and proffessions are far more varied then from a fantasy setting due to the urban capitalistic future. It's all limited only by DM creativity in their campaign, really.

Terrans, because they're human, may have more skills then protoss (probably the same mechanics as humans from the usual fantasy setting), however I'll have check back on that. I'll provide some pretty inventive and logical mechanical benefits to the protoss so no one should really worry. I'll get back on that. The D20 3.5 can even allow people to invent some new races and place them in the starcraft setting I created. This can even include space orcs in a non-warhammer 40k (for once, omg) setting, so be prepared for excitement. Terran are highly reliant on technology, and all sorts of tech will or may exist in one's inventory. I'll provide samples later on, but a DM may be required to provide made up futuristic items in stores or markets during an adventure.

Protoss: The protoss are a 'transcendant' culture, which should be noted by every campaign creator. Societies in the various cities (whether on Aiur, or shakuras or a colony or whatever, depending on the timeline) are varied however, and cultures in different urban locales vary despite the slight religious unity that the khalla provides. Religion is about the only thing that is somewhat centralised. Warrior cultures exist as well, and those who wish to become soldiers are often voluntarily submerged in these cultures for fear of them becoming inferior otherwise. The templar caste is among the most powerful of the many cultures however, because it has been proven to be among the most reliable of the protoss obsession of self discovery through might.

Dark templar belief in individuality and harnessing of cosmic might (through 'knowledge: unknown lore', and YES that pretty much has to exist in a campaign unless the DM wishes to modify things to prevent every dark templarish PC from experiencing sanity loss), is the only other conflicting avenue in the templar caste. Dark templar have a different approach to everything and their class differences must pretty much treat them as a seperate race (I'll get down to the mechanics of that later, between 'khala bound' and 'dark ones').

Protoss technology isn't too involved in actual protoss culture, due to the cultural mindset of many protoss. Many protoss techies exist in large demographics, however most technology has to do with the 'necessities' such as space travel, weaponry, robotics (more advanced then that of the humans), and brain mapping (which they've nearly mastered in the species-wide quest for self discovery, unsurprisingly).

Zerg: Zerg PC's are rare and must be asked for permission by the DM. This applies similairly to monster PC's with class levels and such. Usually, if not every time, a zerg's backstory will involve them somehow breaking away or losing control from a hivemind. Zerg PC hit die must suit the level of adventures (usually 4 hit die allowed for every level of adventurer). A low level adventure might involve a drone or young zergling, whereas a near epic adventure could involve a powerful ultralisk.

Zerg, as a species, will always have much higher hp than the other races, due to their inability to use actual equipment or items (most mundane and non-mundane future-wise equipment), as well as many natural armor bonuses, feats that come naturally, and so on. Terran usually benefit from equipment and technology whereas most of the protoss benefit slightly from technology as well as racial self-discovery. If played right however, zerg can make a fun PC option. Some bonus feats will only be provided for zerg as well, whereas other feats can only be taken by the other races. Additionally, many zerg sub-species have the ability to gain feats at a faster rate then the other species.

Zerg subspecies can also be more varied then those found in the games. It's all limited by DM or story writer creativity. Of course, the vast majority of sub species are those found in armies and invasion forces, but their are always rare and exotic and powerful ones that adventurers might encounter.

More on all of this later.

Exotic Tech: Cybernetics, super powered powered armor, special weapons, computer units, rare and extra big or unique and valuable ships/vehicles, robotics, drugs, scrolls, data, etc. Some of it alters magic and psionics (cybernetics, drugs, data or scrolls), while others simply help you mow down the critters easier.

EDIT: I'll make this a new thread for a starcraft basis to follow by under D20 3.5 (essentially allowing for interraction between starcraft characters and elves, ie... but on a realistic basis, as in the futuristic technology is comparable to all the spells and swordsmanship applicable). Don't wanna redirect ALL the attention.

NVM, I'll actually use that link to the protoss for protoss racial description. Dark and high protoss are described. The starcraft setting also enables better technology, which includes essentially the better wrist activated blades that can cut through greater hardness and deal more damage.

The idea here, however, was to prove that classes that already exist can be used for a starcraft setting. Marine classes are nonsensical, whereas npcs like zealots can have levels in psionic warrior and such.

The class descriptions were all advice on how to apply them to a starcraft oriented setting (with starcraft characters), rather then the typical fantasy setting (where the same races can be applied, however races like the zerg are harder to fight with lower-end technology). Because some 'units' in the game can only function with the aid of skills, I might include a few skill prerequisites (ie., you require 4 ranks in 'heal' in order to gain access to 'surgery').

Terran sample weapons, tools, and feats:

Guarded Work (feat): When taking cover under a tower shield or other similair appliance, the character may concentrate as they normally would undestracted when making a skill check.

Medic Shield Kit: Requires at least 4 ranks in heal, 4 ranks in dosage, 2 ranks in knowledge: Medical Application, 4 ranks in knowledge: Advanced Medical Application, 4 ranks in surgery, 4 ranks in precision surgery, 4 ranks in treat injury, the 'shield proficiency' feat, and the 'Guarded Work' feat to be used in conjunction with a surgical laser. Advanced surgical laser requires everything except shield proficiency and 'guarded work'.

Contains surgical laser as well as safe and secure storage of various medical implements and drugs. Higher skill ranks make healing easier.

AC +3
Shield Size: Large (treat size as tower shield; powered armor reduces appropriate size by one standing)
Hardness 25

The user can use the shield kit to take cover. The shield kit can be used to perform a shield bash if the user has either the 'monkey grip' feat or is wearing powered armor.

AGR-14:

Damage: 4d6

Range: 80ft short, 300ft medium, 800ft long (scopes and other sighting systems may allow for increased range).

Short ignores hardness/damage reduction of 8, medium ignores hardness of 2, whereas long does not ignore hardness. AP ammunition ignores hardness at a +4 bonus if steel-tipped; bonuses that usually increase depending on the material. The material bonus is halved at long range (so in this case, a steel-tipped spike/bullet/slug becomes a +2 bonus at long range).

Powered armor and the correct electrical appliances placed in conjunction with a standard issue visor or targetting system may allow for spread fire on-automatic setting cone to be reduced in the usual width according to a character's strength against the resisted recoil. Powered armor often increases strength.

Goliath:

The goliath is a vehicle of the 'walker' heavy assault infantry design. While mechano-servo tech is increasing and diversifying the roles of divisions on the battlefield, the goliath remains adamantly versatile enough to suit many venues.

Twin Autocannons: A goliath typically possesses twin autocannons, which function much like heavy chain guns, however all the barrels of each gun are made to shoot simultaneously, while spinning. The effect is capable of usually producing around 200 AP slugs in a full attack action. Each slug deals 2d8 damage accordingly, and can be made to explode, inflate, become flamable upon contact, etc., similair to how any bullet can be modified.

Hellfire Missiles: The usual anti-air missile application has been militarily provided to a goliath's launchers. They lack range however, despite the futuristic battlefield. Nevertheless, hellfire missiles explode with amazing potential.

Damage: 20d10

Some appliances can allow for bullets to be dispensed