PDA

View Full Version : Erfworld 25

ufo
2007-02-13, 04:03 PM
25 is up.

Great comic :smalltongue:

Vargtass
2007-02-13, 04:08 PM
I really like the artistic ability to convey combating toys and figurines.

ichthus
2007-02-13, 04:08 PM
And the forces of Ansom are already confused at the counter-strategy...

Maxymiuk
2007-02-13, 04:14 PM
And there they go, folks...

I give them 2-3 strips tops. :smallamused:

Neofite
2007-02-13, 04:15 PM
The first blows in the battle have been struck!!!!

WampaX
2007-02-13, 04:15 PM
I really like the artistic ability to convey combating toys and figurines.

Or just provide them with more emotion than you would think.
Re: Panel 10 with the Cloth Gollem cradling its friend/mate.

KillerCardinal
2007-02-13, 04:19 PM
Well, we now know how the cloth golems attack. They throw boulders. Heh, I think that it looked cute.:smile:

Ilgivan
2007-02-13, 04:24 PM
Am I the only one who thinks that that unicorn is not actually glass, but rather pink and invisible?

I mean, yeah, it doesn't look pink, but it is invisible.

Uzraid
2007-02-13, 04:26 PM
"My life for Jetstone!"

Finally, a character on the good guys' side that I really connect with!

U

Aimbot
2007-02-13, 04:27 PM
Que?

What in god's name is Jetstone?

Larrin
2007-02-13, 04:32 PM
Well, we now know how the cloth golems attack. They throw boulders. Heh, I think that it looked cute.:smile:

i'm not sure they were boulders, i mean they could be, but why were they carrying boulders in those little back packs of theirs.....its not very cloth golemy. all i'm saying is that i wouldn't be surprised if those weapons are something a little more 'clever' then simply boulders, i have higher expectations then that.

Of course i'm not holding my breath for an explanation of what they really are.....

and we still don't know how the glass creatures (tchotckees) attack, frame 7 just has mister clear rodent-thing watching the spidew getting girrafe-whomped.

Otherdave
2007-02-13, 04:32 PM
Well, we now know how the cloth golems attack. They throw boulders.

Huh, they look like macaroons to me. Guess I'm just hungry.

Hephaestus
2007-02-13, 04:34 PM
"Unfriendlies!"

So he dares to disobey Jetstone's orders eh, I wonder what Jetstone will do when he finds out...

Gamebird
2007-02-13, 04:41 PM
Jetstone is the last name of Ansom, his family name. Or so I recall. Check the "Cast" page of Erfworld to make sure.

Did anyone else notice "Dora the Explorer"? They were, after all, a party of explorers.

What's the reference for "My life for you!" I know that's from some movie...

Edit: The Stand! That's what it's from. Ironic, given that the line was uttered by a servant of the Devil in the movie, and here it is uttered by a servant of Ansom... sort of makes a parallel.

Khantalas
2007-02-13, 04:43 PM
Poor guy. I'll feel so sad if he dies.

I wonder if Lord Hamster will actually win the battle for Stanley the Tool.

Whatever he does, I want more Hamstard updates.

Earendill
2007-02-13, 04:49 PM
I think its more like a "My life for Aiur" reference - loved that from the zealots :).

I really apreciated the realism of the emotions expressed on toys. We had awesome scripting - here we have awesome art. I'm hooked :)

musicnerd
2007-02-13, 04:49 PM
aww, poor teddy bear :smallfrown:

it's funny, i keep going back and forth about which side i like better. :smalltongue:

chionophile
2007-02-13, 04:50 PM
Jetstone is the last name of Ansom, his family name. Or so I recall. Check the "Cast" page of Erfworld to make sure.

Did anyone else notice "Dora the Explorer"? They were, after all, a party of explorers.

What's the reference for "My life for you!" I know that's from some movie...

Edit: The Stand! That's what it's from. Ironic, given that the line was uttered by a servant of the Devil in the movie, and here it is uttered by a servant of Ansom... sort of makes a parallel.

Jetstone is Ansom's tribe. And I'm pretty sure that "My life for _____!" has been used over and over again in every type of media ever. So I find it unlikely that it's an intentional "The Stand" reference.

WNxArrakis
2007-02-13, 04:53 PM
Yeah, I definitely like the shout of "unfriendlies!" Very game-like.

KithKunabi
2007-02-13, 04:54 PM
... they're so cute... but so brutal.

Anyone else here read Moby ****? I;m trying to remeber a quote. Somthing about "The charnal house that is nature."

Basically, everything in nature looks nice... but it's gonna kill you. Cap'n Ahab was no fan of the natural world.

KithKunabi
2007-02-13, 04:56 PM
.... and I can't refer to Melville's classic "Moby 'Richard'"? Stupid censors...

Just in case the censors have you confused, it's the one about the White Whale.

Uzraid
2007-02-13, 05:00 PM
". . . so that all deified Nature absolutely paints like the harlot, whose allurements cover nothing but the charnel-house within . . ." is, I think, the quote you're looking for.

Just realized the elephant cloth golem is missing. And that the sourmander has a Bad Hygeine attack.

U

Furin_Mirado
2007-02-13, 05:05 PM
Poor cloth golem....ye shall be missed...:smallsigh:

Runolfr
2007-02-13, 05:10 PM

Nah. This is just the rescue party Ansom sent after Jillian; they're not part of the main attack column.

Xenon
2007-02-13, 05:14 PM
i like the tactics thinking this strip reveals. On the one hand, command wants em to go around the flank, even if it takes longer... but in the feild hes thinking about all those air-units that they havent seen yet. Air units move faster, and he evidently wants to either get to better terrain with some cover, or to 'catch up' with what he suspects is going on.

Think about how stanley thinks... when he moved those dragons, he probably pulled em away from areas they were needed- like watching those flanks the good guys are going though.

Its kinda like getting into the enemy flag base, sand sudenly wondering why you havent seen anyone but the one afk so far...

Ave
2007-02-13, 05:48 PM
... they're so cute... but so brutal.

Anyone else here read Moby ****?

HAHAHA. Moby BOOP!
This is sooo ironic.

Yellow
2007-02-13, 05:50 PM
JEEEETSTOOOONE, YOU'RE FIRED! :smallfurious:

Querzis
2007-02-13, 05:55 PM
I think its more like a "My life for Aiur" reference - loved that from the zealots :).

Or my life for The Horde. Or my life for the Light. Or my life for darkness. Or my life for Thrall. Or my life for Ner'zhul.

My life for 'insert any group or someone name here' is a common line in Blizzard games, especially warcraft 3.

Anyway, great strip. I wonder if Parson and Stanley know those guys are there? I hope they are gonna be able to free Jillian.

Aliquid
2007-02-13, 05:57 PM
Am I the only one who thinks that that unicorn is not actually glass, but rather pink and invisible?

I mean, yeah, it doesn't look pink, but it is invisible.It does sort of look like it is invisible, but it is supposed to be a glass unicorn. A "Tchotchke"

From the artist's keyboard:
The unicorn and the cat are supposed to be made out of glass. A bit hard to do with the coloring style I think, but I guess that makes them kind of invisible.

Idris
2007-02-13, 06:26 PM
amazing action and expression in this strip - and some great sounds too

khe-flem! :smallyuk:

slayerx
2007-02-13, 06:27 PM

Not all, this is the force that were sent to back up Jillian, not the invasion force.
And it seems only now, after Ansom got through his attack stradegy, are they suspecting that something has happend to Jillian.

The Shadow
2007-02-13, 06:31 PM
I love how the road just suddenly fades into existence in front of them. :)

Kanthalion
2007-02-13, 06:37 PM
The Tool lacks subtley, I think the lack of dwagons is the handiwork of Lord Hamster.

Minchandre
2007-02-13, 06:52 PM
The cloth golems in panel 10 made me cry a little.

SMDVogrin
2007-02-13, 06:53 PM
The Tool lacks subtley, I think the lack of dwagons is the handiwork of Lord Hamster.

Specifically, it's probably the result of his capture of Jillian. He "pulled together a flight of nearby dwagons" to do it, remember? So the fact that the folks who are following Jillian don't see any dwagons is because all of them in the area were rushed over to take her out (and remember, this is still Stanley's turn, the same turn he captured her....)

Azukar
2007-02-13, 07:14 PM
Hey, um, what is the Sourmander spraying in this strip? If it was a Salamander, it would be fire, so you'd have to assume that Sourmanders shoot something... sour?

Personally, I think it looks like vomit.

Rama_Lei
2007-02-13, 07:28 PM
Why!? Why did you kill the cloth golem!

Sisqui
2007-02-13, 07:33 PM
Somewhere there are two people laughing at all the readers who thought they were going to see what the expression on Wanda's face really meant today...:smallbiggrin:

Kanthalion
2007-02-13, 07:50 PM
Specifically, it's probably the result of his capture of Jillian. He "pulled together a flight of nearby dwagons" to do it, remember? So the fact that the folks who are following Jillian don't see any dwagons is because all of them in the area were rushed over to take her out (and remember, this is still Stanley's turn, the same turn he captured her....)

When you're right, you're right. I didn't think of that.

Peregrine
2007-02-13, 08:34 PM
Sweet! Some action!

But... you killed the teddy bear cloth golem... no, no, be a man, Peregrine, don't cry over a stuffed toy... oh but then you see the other one holding it and... it's just... so... :smallfrown:

Estelindis
2007-02-13, 08:45 PM
It'll probably take a couple more strips before I start empathising with these characters, but it's nice to see new faces being introduced. And the cloth golem cradling its friend *was* quite touching.

TinSoldier
2007-02-13, 09:08 PM
Did anyone else notice "Dora the Explorer"? They were, after all, a party of explorers.No, I didn't notice a reference to Dora...

Anyway, nice update. Sourmander is still one of my favorite units! Poor Pink-Bear. You will be missed...

Khe-Flem!

erewhon
2007-02-13, 09:13 PM
Hey, um, what is the Sourmander spraying in this strip? If it was a Salamander, it would be fire, so you'd have to assume that Sourmanders shoot something... sour?

Yeah...

I think it's safe to say, NOBODY wants to tackle a sourmander if they can help it. [shudder]

sethdarkwater
2007-02-13, 11:08 PM

Thnak god Im not the only one who noticed. Still not sure if it was intended though.

sethdarkwater
2007-02-13, 11:10 PM
I am now the President of the CLoth Golem club. Hoozah!

Daraken
2007-02-14, 12:33 AM
Hey, you can see the cloth golem eyes go from circles to xs(es?) in panels 5-6. How sad. At least it took down that spidew with him.

ShneekeyTheLost
2007-02-14, 12:35 AM
To kill a Care Bear...

'My Life for Jestone!' sounds an awful lot like the protoss 'My Life for Aiur!' warcry...

Who would have known spiders could be so nasty?

Dervag
2007-02-14, 12:50 AM
*Sniff*
That comic made me want to rewrite the lyrics of 'Taps' for cloth golems...

Grimfist
2007-02-14, 12:54 AM
Whatever he does, I want more Hamstard updates.

Agreed. Mostly because I clicked on the store just to see what they had, and I found this: http://www.cafepress.com/hamstard.99484015

I lol'd for a long time.

Edit: Erm, right, relatively on-topic content.

Seems like their formation was a bit off. Putting the ranged attackers in front didn't seem prudent. I can see how putting human lives in front of the wellbeing of golems is a necessity, but from what I saw they didn't really have any trouble with the spiders.

ARMOURERERIC
2007-02-14, 01:19 AM
Poor cloth golem....ye shall be missed...:smallsigh:

Hey,

Show some respect, that creature had a name:

Strawberry Daquiri Bear

Lord Zentei
2007-02-14, 01:54 AM
Jetstone is Ansom's tribe. And I'm pretty sure that "My life for _____!" has been used over and over again in every type of media ever. So I find it unlikely that it's an intentional "The Stand" reference.

Nah, I too agree that it is a Protoss Zealot reference. He's even got the golden armour and glowy wristblade to go with it.

Que?

What in god's name is Jetstone?

It's what you get when you cross a Flintstone with a Jetson. :smallcool:

Alynn
2007-02-14, 03:32 AM

Actually, the sourmander has the lovely attacking ability of "Hawking a Loogie" or, coughing up some phlegm into the mouth then spitting it on his enemies. The main clue being the sound effect Kwe-Flem (or perhaps that's Khe-Flem) Flem being the phonetic spelling of phlegm.

Phelgm Definition: http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/phlegm

TheAnimal
2007-02-14, 05:23 AM
Just realized the elephant cloth golem is missing. And that the sourmander has a Bad Hygeine attack.

U

Yeah...

I think it's safe to say, NOBODY wants to tackle a sourmander if they can help it. [shudder]

Hey, um, what is the Sourmander spraying in this strip?

Actually, the sourmander has the lovely attacking ability of "Hawking a Loogie" or, coughing up some phlegm into the mouth then spitting it on his enemies.

Well, the sourmander looks like and old geezer, doesn't it?
What else would it do than cough up phlegm?
Oh, the horror of ever having to face one in combat... *shudders*
Poor cloth golem... Her friend looks really sad in the third last panel. :smallfrown:
Still, I'm really looking forward to seeing some serious combat.

Ikkitosen
2007-02-14, 07:10 AM
Poor cloth golem :'(

MinusInnocence
2007-02-14, 07:40 AM
Don't feel too bad. I'm convinced Ansom is actually the leader of the forces of darkness and Stanley is just going through his "The Cure" period.

That cloth golem probably had a drinking problem. Better off without him!

Ezbez
2007-02-14, 07:45 AM
Khe-flem was *perfect*!

Amotis
2007-02-14, 10:58 AM
Holy Spoon, this rocks.

Viridian
2007-02-14, 11:09 AM
Hmmm..."Unfriendlies!" was how one of the characters from Jagged Alliance 2 (another turn-based strategy game) announced visual contact of the enemy...strange coincidence.

OR IS IT? Duh-duh-duuuuuuuuh!

the_tick_rules
2007-02-14, 11:11 AM
unfriendlies, not hostiles? More erfworldees i suppose.

PlugNPlay
2007-02-14, 11:12 AM
I predict that Sir Webinar will get some votes in the favorite character poll after this episode. "Take it like it's a drill" indicates that he prepares his troops well and trusts them to perform under pressure, signs of good leadership.

I thought that the greenish cloth golem was throwing fluff. Or maybe sponges. Though why they would do any damage I have no idea.

And the paper Webinar looks at in the second-to-last panel seems to be the same one that Ansom is reading from as he addresses the troops before sending them off. I guess it's a map. Or maybe a set of orders, so he can see exactly which ones he is violating.

Darth Paradox
2007-02-14, 04:00 PM

I mean, yeah, it doesn't look pink, but it is invisible.

Probably. When they were first sent out, they were referred to as "tchotchkes". They're pretty definitely glass.

Frosty Flake
2007-02-14, 04:35 PM
Nah, I too agree that it is a Protoss Zealot reference. He's even got the golden armour and glowy wristblade to go with it.

It's what you get when you cross a Flintstone with a Jetson. :smallcool:

That's not attached to his wrist though... it's a really big kama or something, you can see the handle.

Plactus
2007-02-14, 07:56 PM
Poor dead cloth golem.

Still... did anyone else think of Return of the Jedi?

Cobra_Ikari
2007-02-14, 08:28 PM
...the unicorn is a tchotchky? I always thought it was heavy cav...

Minchandre
2007-02-14, 08:45 PM
The unicorn is a tchotchke. Tchotchke is its type. "Heavy" is its role.

Cobra_Ikari
2007-02-14, 10:31 PM
...no, no...he mentions to select seven "heavies", then says something like "heavy cav, sourmanders, tchotchkies, cloth golems...whatever he wants" (that feels so word for word...I may have read this too many times today...)...so, what is a heavy cav?

Minchandre
2007-02-14, 11:15 PM
Well, I definitely count 4 cloth golems, a sourmander, and 2 tchotchkes...I suppose that they're aren't any heavy cav.

Cobra_Ikari
2007-02-15, 02:09 AM
...hmm...so, what makes a tchotchke a tchotchke? I seem to remember that word meaning something along the lines of "swag"...

...or would the mounted sourmander and tchotchke unicorn be the heavy cav? I guess my real question is what the heavy cav is.

Peregrine
2007-02-15, 02:47 AM
Cavalry implies ridden. But we only see (what we believe to be) a tchotchke and a sourmander being ridden.

My best guess would be that the giraffe is heavy cav, not a cloth golem. It's still a stuffed animal like the bears, but it's performing a completely different function (close-range whomping rather than throwing heavy things). The bears are almost certainly the cloth golems, so the giraffe might just be the heavy cav. And this would make the apparently absent stuffed elephant heavy cav also.

Or he didn't take any.

TheAnimal
2007-02-15, 06:44 AM
Cavalry implies ridden. But we only see (what we believe to be) a tchotchke and a sourmander being ridden.

My best guess would be that the giraffe is heavy cav, not a cloth golem.

Or he didn't take any.

I'd put my money on "he didn't take any". The giraffe strikes me as another type of cloth golem, and there's nobody riding it.

Maurog
2007-02-15, 07:57 AM
Hmm, I notice a slight continuity error between panels 4 and 5. The pink Cloth Golem wears a bag in panel 4, but it mysteriously disappears in panel 5 and is never seen again.

Lord Zentei
2007-02-15, 03:55 PM
That's not attached to his wrist though... it's a really big kama or something, you can see the handle.

Ah, so I see. *wipes egg off face*

Though his armour is still golden though. :smallwink:

Azukar
2007-02-15, 08:21 PM
Err... Now I could be wrong (I'm sure I have been in the past, sometime), but heavy cav(alry)to me implies someone riding something, the whole desgined for combat. That's in comparison to light cavalry, which are scouts. Which can still mean that a person-onna-sourmander is heavy cavalry, as is the tchotchke-with-rider (sp?).

Heavies, on the other hand, sound like "heavy support"; basically any kind of big slow powerful troops that you probably wouldn't see in large numbers on the battlefield 'cause they're too expensive or specific in their role.

Gamebird
2007-02-16, 10:24 AM
But the heavy cavalry was just one of the choices. Ansom listed off a bunch of things and told the fellow to take what he wanted.

The exact quote is: "Tell Sir Webinar to get a group of seven heavies together!" and "Heavy cav, sourmanders, tcotchkes, cloth golems ...whatever he wants."

Webinar wasn't required to take heavy cavalry with him, but he was required to take seven guys. He chose two cloth golem bears, one cloth golem giraffe, one cloth golem elephant, a sourmander, a cat tcotchke and a unicorn tcotchke. That's seven.

Terran Medic
2007-02-16, 11:04 AM
You people all forgot the acolyte from Undead in Warcraft 3.
he says "my life for nerzhul"
but if you click on him enough he says "my life for Aiur- i mean nerzhul, dont tell the lich king i said that."

KitsuneChan
2007-02-16, 12:46 PM
That tchotchke is a cat? I thought it was some kind of rodent. Cats don't sit on their hind feet, do they?

Aliquid
2007-02-16, 12:57 PM
That tchotchke is a cat? I thought it was some kind of rodent. Cats don't sit on their hind feet, do they?Sure they do, all the time. It's just rare for them to raise their forelegs when they are sitting.

KitsuneChan
2007-02-16, 01:01 PM
Yeah, that's what I was getting at... that's how rodents usually sit, not cats.

WampaX
2007-02-16, 01:07 PM
It's just rare for them to raise their forelegs when they are sitting.

My current cat does this all the time. Kinda hilarious when there is a loud noise, cause he pops up like some dire prairie dog.

mrocktor
2007-02-16, 01:20 PM
Cats rule.

Off topic, I know, but its got to be said...

Aliquid
2007-02-16, 04:32 PM
My current cat does this all the time. Kinda hilarious when there is a loud noise, cause he pops up like some dire prairie dog.My parent's cat is obsessed with watching TV. She will often be sitting there watching, and need to stretch... but since she doesn't want to take her eyes off the screen, she just sits there and raises her forelegs up high and then down again. It ends up looking like she is worshipping at an altar. Rather amusing.

EpeeGnome
2007-02-17, 02:15 PM
I doubt we can just assume "heavy cav" means "heavy cavalry." This is Erfworld after all.

charles
2007-02-17, 09:01 PM
Future thought:

Sir Webinar and Dora are headed along Jillian's path so sooner or later they'll catch up to the place she was taken from.

Stanly noted that Jillian dropped two artifacts and gave the co-ordinates for their collection (probably the sword and the hat).

I see a confrontation looming.

Cobra_Ikari
2007-02-18, 02:12 PM
I doubt we can just assume "heavy cav" means "heavy cavalry." This is Erfworld after all.

...*sighs*...that will, of course, be "cavalwy". Please don't hurt me.

Liria
2007-05-14, 07:46 AM
Yeah, well I'm new. My husband's been trying to get me to read this comic for a couple of months now because he thinks I'll catch some of the references that he and a friend of ours don't. So, the first thing I'm gonna do is resurrect an old topic. =)

Why!? Why did you kill the cloth golem!

Probably in order to make the reference to the dying ewok scene in Return of the Jedi.

Poor dead cloth golem.

Still... did anyone else think of Return of the Jedi?

This is exactly and immediately what I thought of.