PDA

View Full Version : Superman shouldn't be so ripped because he can't really exercise

Scalenex
2007-02-14, 09:17 PM
Think about it, with a strength so well above human standards it would be really tough for him to work out. Granted I don't read comic books very often and am mainly regulated to TV and movies but you don't ever see him working out. In the Incredibles, Mr. Incredible lifted train cars. That probably wouldn't even work because Superman could lift train cars with relative ease. In fact, there are a lot of scenes with super heroes (both powered and non-powered) working out, but never with Superman. Which is weird because there is usually a fair amount of effort done to developing his routine outside of fighting cosmic menaces.

NecroPaladin
2007-02-14, 09:28 PM
Pssh... You can always stay ripped when you have to hold off the crushing panel borders every day of your life.

sethdarkwater
2007-02-14, 09:30 PM
That and the fact that bald men with rocks seem to be your weakness.

Piedmon_Sama
2007-02-14, 09:55 PM
Superman borrows Goku's gravity chamber on weekends.

Beleriphon
2007-02-15, 12:04 AM
Think about it, with a strength so well above human standards it would be really tough for him to work out.

He developed his powers over a fairly of time, and only really came into his own in his late teens as far as powers go. The first one that he had was his invulnerability, then speed, then strength then later on flight. Also, Superman wouldn't be so super if he looked Blob. superman's physique is as much a part of his character as his flying and his laser vision, its beyond explanation as much as anything that he can do.

Steward
2007-02-15, 12:15 AM
Everyone in comics is well-built unless there's a character/story reason for them not to be. The default shapes in HeroMachine are extremely muscular.

Grod_The_Giant
2007-02-15, 04:23 PM
Everyone in comics is well-built unless there's a character/story reason for them not to be. The default shapes in HeroMachine are extremely muscular.

QFT. I mean, look at these guys. Green Lantern- could just float in the sky all day and be just as effective. Secret identity? Artist. Physique? Movie star on sterioids.

The real question is why they all wear skintight costumes...even the guys.

Dib
2007-02-15, 05:20 PM
not all of em... but it helps em show off their musculature... n stuff...

((As a side note I just did a search for a 'superhero' who is very ripped and got a google-whack out of it... but it wasn't him...))

Piedmon_Sama
2007-02-15, 05:57 PM
Pretty much. I mean, crap, if I was built like that, my wardrobe? All-spandex, all-day. I sweated and bled for this body, now you get to LOOK AT IT.

zeratul
2007-02-15, 06:10 PM
You dont count lifting planes, trucks , giant globes, and fightng bad guys and crap as a work out. I do not want to see your work out routean.

Dawnstrider_Moogle
2007-02-16, 02:54 PM
My understanding of Superman's powers is that, where sunlight reacts with our body to produce rickets-preventing vitamins, it reacts with his to produce STEROIDS. Or something. Hence the ripped-ness.

HealthKit
2007-02-17, 10:24 PM
You dont count lifting planes, trucks , giant globes, and fightng bad guys and crap as a work out.

No kidding. That is Superman's work out. That's what keeps him buff.

Green Bean
2007-02-18, 08:50 AM
My understanding of Superman's powers is that, where sunlight reacts with our body to produce rickets-preventing vitamins, it reacts with his to produce STEROIDS. Or something. Hence the ripped-ness.

That sounds about right.

Wasn't there a comic where Batman uses some kind of special nuke to remove all of Superman's stored solar energy, and he basically looked like a skeleton? The idea of his physique being part of his powers sounds right to me,

Steward
2007-02-18, 10:16 AM
No kidding. That is Superman's work out. That's what keeps him buff.

Part of any workout is intensity, and if you are so unbelievably strong that doing things like that is easy, then some might say that it's not much of a workout. Sort of like a bodybuilder who only lifts 10-lb dumb-bells, and saying it's going to make him ripped just because a mouse couldn't do the same. You have to scale up your workout to match your strength.

The idea of his physique being part of his powers sounds right to me,

Yeah, I agree. It makes more sense than, "Even though he can lift a truck with his pinky, it still manages to be an intense workout."

kamikasei
2007-02-18, 10:27 AM

Strange how that doesn't seem to work for Supergirl (http://images.wikia.com/marvel_dc/images/9/95/Supergirl_009.jpg)...

Nevrmore
2007-02-18, 03:12 PM
That' be pretty funny if Superman was some out of shape, forty-something with moobs and a beer belly.

Beleriphon
2007-02-19, 01:08 AM
Strange how that doesn't seem to work for Supergirl (http://images.wikia.com/marvel_dc/images/9/95/Supergirl_009.jpg)...

Or Powergirl (http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/5/56/Infinitecrisis2.jpg)

Nevrmore
2007-02-19, 01:29 AM
Or Powergirl (http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/5/56/Infinitecrisis2.jpg)
That's an obvious one.

Instead of superhuman muscles, the -Girls of the comic book universes get superhuman breasts. Duh.

Dhavaer
2007-02-19, 06:15 AM
That's an obvious one.

Instead of superhuman muscles, the -Girls of the comic book universes get superhuman breasts. Duh.

That's a somewhat limited trait, Supergirl's and Batgirl's artists are considerably more restrained. Powergirl's breasts actually do come up in the plot quite often.

kamikasei
2007-02-19, 07:38 AM
That's an obvious one.

Like Dhavaer says, the ridiculous breasts are Power Girl-specific. I believe it was something along the lines of the character's first artist drawing them a little bigger every issue, expecting to be called on it within a handful of runs... and then staying on the series for a few years, with no one having said a word. It's a running joke in the DCU.

"We have the Power Girl Chicken Sandwich..."
"What's the cut?"
"Breast."

Conversely, the current Supergirl is ridiculously thin, which has also been commented on in character...

Green Bean
2007-02-19, 03:27 PM
Like Dhavaer says, the ridiculous breasts are Power Girl-specific. I believe it was something along the lines of the character's first artist drawing them a little bigger every issue, expecting to be called on it within a handful of runs... and then staying on the series for a few years, with no one having said a word. It's a running joke in the DCU.

"We have the Power Girl Chicken Sandwich..."
"What's the cut?"
"Breast."

Conversely, the current Supergirl is ridiculously thin, which has also been commented on in character...

Perhaps instead of super-steriods, she gets super-weightloss drugs? Maybe in an upcoming storyline Supergirl has to escape from mercenaries hired by pharmaceutical companies who are determined to get a blood sample to create the perfect diet pill. :smallbiggrin:

Mewtarthio
2007-02-19, 06:37 PM
That's a somewhat limited trait, Supergirl's and Batgirl's artists are considerably more restrained. Powergirl's breasts actually do come up in the plot quite often.

Sorry, but when you phrase it like that, it sounds like they're actually major plot points:

"Mwahahahaha! Once I have acquired the power of Powergirl's breasts, I shall be able to create the Breast Milk of Doom! Soon, all babies in the world will clamour for my ultimate bottle formula! And there's nothing you can do to stop me!"

Lemur
2007-02-20, 11:23 AM

It's easier to draw that way.

elliott20
2007-02-20, 12:55 PM
Sorry, but when you phrase it like that, it sounds like they're actually major plot points:

"Mwahahahaha! Once I have acquired the power of Powergirl's breasts, I shall be able to create the Breast Milk of Doom! Soon, all babies in the world will clamour for my ultimate bottle formula! And there's nothing you can do to stop me!"
this almost sounds like it should belong on superdickery.com

Nevrmore
2007-02-20, 03:04 PM
Why would Batgirl have superboobs? She ain't got no super powers, foo'.

As for Supergirl, the answer is simple: Reduction surgery. She understands the tactical disadvantage of giant magumbos mid-battle, not to mention mid-flight.

Dawnstrider_Moogle
2007-02-20, 03:04 PM
That's an obvious one.

So if you put Power Girl under a red sun, she'll become an A cup?

(There's an obvious corollary to be made here, namely that red sun radiation is equivalent to a cold shower for Superman :smalleek:)

Or in that one JLA/Avengers crossover where they were hunting for artifacts of power from each universe - the Avengers have to get the Orb of Ra, the Helmet of Nabu, and BOOBIES.

Piedmon_Sama
2007-02-21, 08:32 PM
Superman borrows Goku's gravity chamber on weekends.

As you can see, I already answered the question!

elliott20
2007-02-22, 09:24 AM
maybe one of supes' super powers is "Super work out" where he like, I don't know, flexes a lot.

Nightwing
2007-02-26, 08:52 PM
I think that fighting Darkside would keep you in very good shape. but don't listen to me I'm crazy

Dariendel
2007-02-28, 02:26 AM
Another reason why I hate Superman.

Baalzebub
2007-02-28, 02:40 PM
besides, you do not need speciall equipment to be well conditioned and in form.

Beleriphon
2007-02-28, 04:15 PM

And he's way cooler then you, so add another reason on there. :smalltongue:

Dariendel
2007-02-28, 09:06 PM
And he's way cooler then you, so add another reason on there. :smalltongue:

If I could compare my physical accomplishments to a fictional- and unreasonably overpowered- character's accomplishments, I'd say I've done some impressive stuff. Considering I trained hard to achieve them.

He developed his powers over a fairly of time, and only really came into his own in his late teens as far as powers go. The first one that he had was his invulnerability, then speed, then strength then later on flight. Also, Superman wouldn't be so super if he looked Blob. superman's physique is as much a part of his character as his flying and his laser vision, its beyond explanation as much as anything that he can do.

Right.

Nevrmore
2007-02-28, 09:20 PM
If you hate the archetype, you might as well hate all the examples, too.

Dariendel
2007-03-01, 01:41 AM
If you hate the archetype, you might as well hate all the examples, too.

Maybe I should.

anphorus
2007-03-04, 03:56 PM
It's not about the weights, man! It's aboyut the reps. Sure a double decker bus isn't gonna be heavy enough to give him much of a workout. But lift it his head a few hundred thousand times one handed would still tax him a bit, if he kept himself in the shade.

Real Answer: Yeah, it's a part of his powers. Think of it this way. We humans don't have perfect physiques all the time because maintaining that bodymass requires a lot of food, and it isn't worth having all that muscle if you don't use it. Exposure to the yellow sun of earth tells Supes' body that it needs to be in super-buff mode.

TheThan
2007-03-04, 06:43 PM
That's an obvious one.

That's becuase the bigger the brests the higher defense and higher dexterity rating they have.

Bluelantern
2007-03-05, 03:55 PM
QFT. I mean, look at these guys. Green Lantern- could just float in the sky all day and be just as effective. Secret identity? Artist. Physique? Movie star on sterioids.

The real question is why they wear multi-colored costumes that scream "I am here! I am here!", seriously, that is the reason people like batman so much, he dress to looks like a bat, but in a cool ninja way :smallcool:

UglyPanda
2007-03-05, 04:39 PM
The real question is why they wear multi-colored costumes that scream "I am here! I am here!", seriously, that is the reason people like batman so much, he dress to looks like a bat, but in a cool ninja way :smallcool:
Batman also has one of the biggest capes in superhero history, so he doesn't skimp on flashiness either.

Batman's explanation is that not only does it cause the opponent to lose focus, but it draws attention away from bystanders and the fact that he was a bystander a minute ago.
Spiderman uses the same outfit as when he was a wrestler. There is no explanation for why he still uses it, but he keeps a black outfit in reserve for when he needs stealth.
In Astonishing X-men, they return to variations on their classic outfits in order to astonish the world and really try to show that they're heroes.
Both Punisher and Batman have massive symbols on their chest because enemies tend to aim for the symbol, which is reinforced with kevlar.

Grod_The_Giant
2007-03-15, 06:42 PM

no kidding. That's actually more buff and full-chested then she normally is.

Obviously, her body-shape power all went to keeping her two-inch miniskirt from showing anything.

J_Muller
2007-03-15, 06:58 PM

...is that what her costume looks like nowadays? With a skirt that short, she's probably flashing everyone in Metropolis whenever she flies overhead.

kamikasei
2007-03-15, 07:19 PM
no kidding. That's actually more buff and full-chested then she normally is.

I know! That's actually as close to a representative pic as I could find...

Obviously, her body-shape power all went to keeping her two-inch miniskirt from showing anything.

...is that what her costume looks like nowadays? With a skirt that short, she's probably flashing everyone in Metropolis whenever she flies overhead.

Yeah. I can't imagine it's really practical for a flying character to wear a skirt most of the time (actually, besides the various Supergirls, are there many who do wear skirts?), but that outfit isn't even trying.

Beleriphon
2007-03-15, 08:29 PM
Yeah. I can't imagine it's really practical for a flying character to wear a skirt most of the time (actually, besides the various Supergirls, are there many who do wear skirts?), but that outfit isn't even trying.

As opposed to Powergirl?

Viscount Einstrauss
2007-03-16, 11:07 AM
Don't yellow sun-charged Kryptonians have an extremely high degree of control over their own body? It wouldn't be too much of a push to say that they can subconsciously alter their own body chemistry by simply imagining what they must look like, then their pent up solar-charged cells do the rest. Superman thinks "Holy crap, look how strong I am!" when he develops super strength, so subconscious use of his powers alters his body to have a godlike physique. The same thing occurs to Superboy. Meanwhile, Power Girl and Supergirl likely don't want to look buff, and would like to look like supermodels. So it happens. Power Girl especially should have taken a second to determine a maximum size to her breasts...

kamikasei
2007-03-16, 12:06 PM
As opposed to Powergirl?

Well, honestly I would say that an extremely short skirt is more "suggestive" than a leotard. Power Girl's costume is certainly showing as much as Supergirl's but you wouldn't say she's "flashing" anyone.

Nevrmore
2007-03-16, 03:47 PM
Well, honestly I would say that an extremely short skirt is more "suggestive" than a leotard. Power Girl's costume is certainly showing as much as Supergirl's but you wouldn't say she's "flashing" anyone.
Even though that's technically correct, I consider a skin tight leotard much more provocative than any skirt. I mean, christ, as long as you can imagine one color looking like another color you can pretty much imagine her naked.

Viscount Einstrauss
2007-03-16, 05:40 PM
Granted, the super family actually has a good reason for wearing skin tight clothing so much, what with that weird invincibility barrier that goes out just so far from their skin to encompass tight clothing.

anphorus
2007-03-18, 11:46 AM
Don't yellow sun-charged Kryptonians have an extremely high degree of control over their own body? It wouldn't be too much of a push to say that they can subconsciously alter their own body chemistry by simply imagining what they must look like, then their pent up solar-charged cells do the rest. Superman thinks "Holy crap, look how strong I am!" when he develops super strength, so subconscious use of his powers alters his body to have a godlike physique. The same thing occurs to Superboy. Meanwhile, Power Girl and Supergirl likely don't want to look buff, and would like to look like supermodels. So it happens. Power Girl especially should have taken a second to determine a maximum size to her breasts...

Indeed. This is why Clark doesn't accidently destroy the world whilst walking, and why he can imitate people's voices so perfectly (at least in the DCAU anyways). It's also why the whole "Man of Steel, Women of Kleenex" thing wouldn't really apply.

Viscount Einstrauss
2007-03-18, 12:48 PM
Heh. A superhero family with a proper reasoning for all looking like supermodels? Gasp!

Jibar
2007-03-18, 01:36 PM
Wait, I got it:
He lifts the Earth. Everyday he reaches down, picks up the earth (he appears to be doing a handstand), and starts lifting it like weights.
This also explains global warming: He's lifting it in the direction of the sun.
I know. I know. My genius is astounding.

TheOtherMC
2007-03-18, 04:04 PM
Wait, I got it:
He lifts the Earth. Everyday he reaches down, picks up the earth (he appears to be doing a handstand), and starts lifting it like weights.
This also explains global warming: He's lifting it in the direction of the sun.
I know. I know. My genius is astounding.

I'd like to see Al Gore debunk that!

J_Muller
2007-03-19, 06:14 PM
I'd like to see Al Gore debunk that!

Now, there's a guy who actually needs to exercise...