PDA

View Full Version : The factotum

Noneoyabizzness
2007-02-15, 05:05 PM
ok dungeonscape gives us this new base class, and I have to ask, am I the only one both intrigued and depressed by it?

it does everything, it's a great int beast (gotta love int based classes), but it feels lacking. and I don't know why

Gralamin
2007-02-15, 07:12 PM
It looks amazing to me, I love this book.

I mean The_Giant is one of the books authors, I'm sure the alternate class feature for wizard's was designed by him ("Wizard of Sun and Moon" I mean any better tip off? (http://www.giantitp.com/articles/cSxJLxZJnFM0fj1faTP.html))

I'll post a more in depth analysis soon.

Bears With Lasers
2007-02-15, 07:14 PM
Its main problem is that it doesn't really get enough inspiration points per encounter.

Gralamin
2007-02-15, 07:29 PM
An In-depth* analysis of the Factotum

Flavor: The Factotum is perhaps the most versatile of all core classes, outdoing even the bard.

Standard Mechanics: It’s core mechanics keep with this idea. Such things a ¾ attack bonus, d8 hit die, and one good save keep it as a jack of all trades.
Class skills are one place it shines. It has 6+int modifier skill points. The skills available to it? It starts with an E and ends with “verything”.
Proficiencies: a good set of weapons are available, as well as light armor. It casts spells as Spell-likes.

Uniqueness: All classes have something making them unique, for the Factotum its Inspiration points (which work on an encounter basis instead of a daily basis). These can be spent on many abilities that you gain as you level. You gain the ability to cast up to 8 spells, and you gain the ability to mimic extraordinary abilities.

Overall: This class is very versatile but not to good at any one thing. Because of this they are shoved to the 5th person position. If you want buffing be a bard, if you want versatility, be a Factotum.

*in-depth enough without breaking copyright laws.

Noneoyabizzness
2007-02-15, 09:25 PM
bears-actually, I don't think it's that. the immediate need for a lot of inspiration points isn't that huge. you wont need to have a constantly high bab, or skill checks, and you won't unload all spells in one encounter.

G-and I'll agree, it does give the death knell to the 5th man arguement for the bard. healing, turning, melee monkey, skill monkey and up to the 7th level spells off the sorc/wiz list preped like a wiz and used w/o asf, even if so few.

Thomas
2007-02-16, 08:31 AM
I thought this was a Planescape thread. Bah.

Ashes
2007-02-16, 09:06 AM
I thought this was a Planescape thread. Bah.

Me too :smallfrown:

Even though this sounds intriguing.

Dnjscott
2007-02-22, 05:41 PM
I dunno. I think the points seem a little lacking. Since basically all your features are powered by them, you'll be using at least one per round, which means you're seeming a little short, esp. when you start with two.

Actually, it might be more that some of your abilities take so many, though they are the most powerful ones. But, say, Cunning Dodge takes 4 and it's reactive so you have to keep 4 / 6 in reserve when it first comes online and you have no way to recharge them until the end of a fight.

It seems like the other 'per encounter' types like Martial Adepts and the Hellreaver can recharge a little and the Factotum is a little spit outta luck. So that does nag at me.

Also, it seemed a little sad that it didn't get any feats in its own book, given the usual feat of new base classes (i.e. never being mentioned again).

All of that being said, I really, really liked it and I'll be trying one out as the party's trap monkey in a starting-at-10th Dungeonscape game week from Sat, so I'll see how it goes.

Caelestion
2007-02-22, 06:22 PM
Re: Planescape, me three!

Noneoyabizzness
2007-02-22, 06:47 PM
duly noted on the planescape issyue, and yes, we all miss it as a legit campaign setting. they are slowly coming back to it though

Ashes
2007-02-22, 07:23 PM
Off-topic: I am starting a Planescape game on saturday. Yay! :D

Noneoyabizzness
2007-02-23, 09:28 AM
any chance any of those berks you're running may play a factotum?