PDA

View Full Version : Forgive Me Father, For I Have Sinned [NPC PrC]

The Demented One
2007-02-15, 10:21 PM
Merciful Confessor

Merciful Confessors are pious folk who have taken it upon themselves to redeem their fellow man. Few are adventurers, and their deeds are not remembered in stories. Instead, they are humble village priests or wise men, whose true skill lies in helping others overcome their sin and regret. Though they do not slay dragons, Merciful Confessors help the people around them move on in life without being burdened by a guilty conscience–and in the end, which is greater?

d6 HD

Requirements
To qualify to become a Merciful Confessor, you must fulfill all the following criteria.
Alignment: Any Non-Evil
Skills: Knowledge (Religion) 8 ranks, Diplomacy 4 ranks, Sense Motive 4 ranks
Spells: Must be able to cast 2nd-level divine spells.

Class Skills
The Merciful Confessor’s class skills (and the key ability for each skill) are Concentration (Con), Craft (Int), Diplomacy (Cha), Heal (Wis), Knowledge (Religion) (Int), Profession (Wis), and Spellcraft (Int).

Skill Points at Each Level: 2 + Int modifier.

{table=head]Level|Base Attack[br]Bonus|Fort Save|Ref Save|Will Save|Special|Spells

1st|
+0
|
+0
|
+0
|
+2
|Sinsight|+1 level of existing divine spellcasting class

2nd|
+1
|
+0
|
+0
|
+3
|Reveal the Lie|+1 level of existing divine spellcasting class

3rd|
+1
|
+1
|
+1
|
+3
|Rites of Absolution|+1 level of existing divine spellcasting class[/table]

Sinsight (Su)
At 1st level, you can peer into the minds of those around you, and discern what weighs on their consciousness. As a standard action, you may sense the sin of a single creature within 30 ft. of you. If the creature is unwilling, it may attempt a Will save, DC 10 + ½ your caster level + your Cha modifier, to resist it. If it fails the save, or is willing, then you find out the creature’s alignment, the strength of its alignment aura, and get a vague impression of any deeds weighing on its conscience. You only get a general description of such deeds, and the creature must have at least some trace of regret in order for you to sense the deeds. At 3rd level, when you use this ability, you may also read the creature’s surface thoughts. A creature that successfully saves against this ability is immune to it for 24 hours.

Reveal the Lie (Su)
At 2nd level, lying to you becomes very difficult. You gain a +5 insight bonus on all Sense Motive checks. In addition, you may use zone of truth once per day as a spell-like ability, with caster level equal to your class level.

Rites of Absolution (Su)
At 3rd level, you gain the power to reconcile a repentant sinner with his god. Once per day, you may spend an hour in meditation to intercede with the divine. This works as the atonement spell. Even if the transgression atoned for was the result of deliberate action, you do not need to spend any XP.

Eighth_Seraph
2007-02-15, 11:48 PM
I like the flavor alot, but Sinsight seems a bit limited. After all, it would make sense that if a completely remorseless Blackguard walked into your chapel wearing shining white armor of Pelor that a person known for helping others with their sin would at least perceive that the knight striding confidently towards him carries evil with him. Maybe that could be the difference between class levels? Requires remorse at first level and not at third?

The Demented One
2007-02-16, 07:30 AM
In that case, he'd be able to tell he's evil, but not see any of the deeds weighing on his conscience. Only the last part of the ability is dependant on remorse.

Magi_Ring_O
2007-02-19, 06:12 PM
why not give it detect evil, as the palidan ability?

Ivius
2007-02-19, 06:21 PM
why not give it detect evil, as the palidan ability?

I believe that sinsight seems much more useful. You don't only get they're alignment, but the strength of they're aura, anything they feel guilty about, and surface thoughts at third level. At will.

Arbitrarity
2007-02-19, 06:22 PM
It gets that, though with a will save... as well as detect law, detect chaos, and detect good...

I like it. The flavour is nice, the class abilities aren't bad (though it probably could use a few more, or enhance the current ones), and it looks like something I'd try to use.

EDIT: O.0.. at will means you can recast sinsight until they fail a save... Make one of them temporary immunities!

Iituem
2007-02-19, 06:27 PM
This way, you can guilt people by knowing the nature of their transgressions. Maybe not in much detail, but enough to squeeze a few gold coins- wait, that's evil, isn't it?

martyboy74
2007-02-19, 06:32 PM
How is "peering into their mind" defined? Is their a minimum intelligence? Does it work on unintelligent undead? Intelligent undead? Animals/vermin? Elementals (say, a crysmal)?

\/ Nope. same person. I just didn't bother changing my name once the boards got updated. Just checking in, seeing if you still remembererd me.

The Demented One
2007-02-19, 07:04 PM
EDIT: O.0.. at will means you can recast sinsight until they fail a save... Make one of them temporary immunities!
Duly noted.

How is "peering into their mind" defined? Is their a minimum intelligence? Does it work on unintelligent undead? Intelligent undead? Animals/vermin? Elementals
The alignment detection function works on anything with an alignment - that is to say, every creature ever. The thought detection function works only on creatures with an Intelligence score. Thus, the alignment function would work on all the creatures you mentioned, while the thought detection would work on all but the unintelligent undead.

(say, a crysmal)?
You'd better pray to whatever deity you hold dear that that was an honest accident.

EvilElitest
2007-02-19, 11:20 PM
I love it, i can use it as an example of non demonic D&D to satisfy my christian friends
From,
EE