PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Potential Pathfinder Fixes (please critique)

Amiel
2014-05-26, 05:46 AM
Preamble: So, I'm about to have my players embark on an epic campaign involving dastardly deeds, epic adventuring and so forth.
Now, sadly, the martials in Pathfinder can be overshadowed by casters (despite the fact this is completely campaign/GM dependent)
Anyway, what martials in PF need are options and versatility

The Ranger class has the following changes applied, in addition, of course, to its inherent class features (I'll also whip up a table once I remember how to):
-animal companion at 1st level, advances as per druidic animal companion
-spellcasting at 1st level, advances until 4th level
-tracking at full ranger level
-Acrobatics as a class skill
-skirmish at 1st level; receives +1d6 damage/+1 AC if the ranger moves 10 ft in that turn. This bonus increases by 1 for four ranger levels thereafter, up to a max of +5 at 20th level
-combat style feats beginning at 2nd level, accumulating every 2nd level
-full attack as a standard action

Please critique; will also build samples at 1st, 5th, 12th levels to compare

Alignment: Any

Hit Die: d10

Class Skills
The ranger's class skills are Acrobatics (Dex), Climb (Str), Craft (Int), Handle Animal (Cha), Heal (Wis), Intimidate (Cha), Knowledge (dungeoneering) (Int), Knowledge (geography) (Int), Knowledge (nature) (Int), Perception (Wis), Profession (Wis), Ride (Dex), Spellcraft (Int), Stealth (Dex), Survival (Wis), and Swim (Str)

Skill Ranks per Level: 6 + Int modifier

Table: RANGER

Level
Base Attack Bonus
Fort Save
Ref Save
Will Save
Special
1st
2nd
3rd
4th

+1
+2
+2
+0
1st favored enemy, Hunter's bond, skirmish +1d6/+1, track, wild empathy

+2
+3
+3
+0
Combat style feat

+3
+3
+3
+1
Endurance, 1st favored terrain

+4
+4
+4
+1
Combat style feat

+5
+4
+4
+1
2nd favored enemy, skirmish +2d6/+2

+6/+1
+5
+5
+2
Combat style feat

+7/+2
+5
+5
+2
Woodland stride

+8/+3
+6
+6
+2
Combat style feat, swift tracker, 2nd favored terrain

+9/+4
+6
+6
+3
Evasion

+10/+5
+7
+7
+3
3rd favored enemy, combat style feat, skirmish +3d6/+3

+11/+6/+1
+7
+7
+3
Quarry

+12/+7/+2
+8
+8
+4
Combat style feat, camouflage

+13/+8/+3
+8
+8
+4
3rd favored terrain

+14/+9/+4
+9
+9
+4
Combat style feat

+15/+10/+5
+9
+9
+5
4th favored enemy, skirmish +4d6/+4

+16/+11/+6/+1
+10
+10
+5
Combat style feat, improved evasion

+17/+12/+7/+2
+10
+10
+5
Hide in plain sight

+18/+13/+8/+3
+11
+11
+6
4th favored terrain, combat style feat

+19/+14/+9/+4
+11
+11
+6
Improved quarry

+20/+15/+10/+5
+12
+12
+6
5th favored enemy, combat style feat, master hunter, skirmish +5d6/+5

Class Features

All of the following are class features of the ranger.

Track (Ex): A ranger adds his level to Survival skill checks made to follow tracks.

Hunter's Bond (Ex): At 1st level, a ranger forms a bond with his hunting companions. This bond can take one of two forms. Once the form is chosen, it cannot be changed. The first is a bond to his companions. This bond allows him to spend a swift action to grant half his favored enemy bonus against a single target of the appropriate type to all allies within 30 feet who can see or hear him. This bonus lasts for a number of rounds equal to the ranger's Wisdom modifier (minimum 1). This bonus does not stack with any favored enemy bonuses possessed by his allies; they use whichever bonus is higher.

The second option is to form a close bond with an animal companion. A ranger may begin play with any of the animals listed in Animal Choices. This animal is a loyal companion that accompanies the ranger on his adventures. Unlike normal animals of its kind, an animal companion's Hit Dice, abilities, skills, and feats advance as the ranger advances in level. If a character receives an animal companion from more than one source, his effective ranger levels stack for the purposes of determining the statistics and abilities of the companion. Most animal companions increase in size when their ranger reaches 4th or 7th level, depending on the companion. A ranger's animal companion shares his favored enemy and favored terrain bonuses.

Skirmish (Ex): A ranger is a deft skirmisher, capable of skillfully dancing in and out of battle and using his inherent battle grace to deal extra damage and bolster his defense. The ranger gains a competence bonus to AC and his attack deals extra damage during any round he moves 10 feet or more. This extra damage is 1d6/+1 at 1st level, and increases by 1d6/+1 every four ranger levels thereafter.

Spells: Beginning at 1st level, a ranger gains the ability to cast a small number of divine spells, which are drawn from the ranger spell list presented in Spell Lists. A ranger must choose and prepare his spells in advance.

To prepare or cast a spell, a ranger must have a Wisdom score equal to at least 10 + the spell level. The Difficulty Class for a saving throw against a ranger's spell is 10 + the spell level + the ranger's Wisdom modifier.

gr8artist
2014-05-26, 12:10 PM
Looks good for the ranger, but I generally prefer fixes that affect the underlying problems, rather than the specific symptoms.

Make all iteratives after the first at -5, rather than descending into -10 and -15. This way they hit with more of the attacks they get.
Escaping a pin gives you the grappled condition, rather than freeing you entirely.
Every class with only 2 skill ranks gets 4 instead.
Modifications to fear saves apply to intimidate DC's as well.
Fix a lot of the flat bonus feat, like dodge and weapon focus, to increase their bonus. I favor using swift/immediate action to double bonus for 1 attack.
Make weapon finesse a default, and let vital strike work in a full-round action.
Roll improved/greater combat maneuvers into a single feat with a scaling bonus.
Weapon specific feats apply to weapon groups (weapon focus (light blades) or weapon specialization (axes))
Nerf casters all to hell.

Amiel
2014-05-26, 07:45 PM
Looks good for the ranger

Thanks, good sir

I've also been advised to reword the 'bonding with companions' bit to ensure greater appeal in taking up this class feature. Otherwise, there'll be no possible way not to take the animal companion

but I generally prefer fixes that affect the underlying problems, rather than the specific symptoms.

Make all iteratives after the first at -5, rather than descending into -10 and -15. This way they hit with more of the attacks they get.
Escaping a pin gives you the grappled condition, rather than freeing you entirely.
Every class with only 2 skill ranks gets 4 instead.
Modifications to fear saves apply to intimidate DC's as well.
Fix a lot of the flat bonus feat, like dodge and weapon focus, to increase their bonus. I favor using swift/immediate action to double bonus for 1 attack.
Make weapon finesse a default, and let vital strike work in a full-round action.
Roll improved/greater combat maneuvers into a single feat with a scaling bonus.
Weapon specific feats apply to weapon groups (weapon focus (light blades) or weapon specialization (axes))
Nerf casters all to hell.

Very nice; we seem to be on the same page with regards to a lot of these.
I'll go back to the notes and hopefully post a few more 'potential fixes' in the near future

For now, this ranger completely mechanically overshadows the rogue and fighter, but they'll benefit also

Amiel
2014-05-26, 08:19 PM
Changed invoking hunter's bond with companions to a swift action

Which class would you folks like to see next? I have access to all the published supplements

Larkas
2014-05-26, 10:46 PM
Might I be so bold as to suggest taking a look at these archetypes (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?340115-Sword-amp-Sorcery-for-Sneaky-Scoundrels)? I meant (or still mean, it depends on how much free time I actually get) to take a jab at fixing the ranger too, and the fix would go through giving it 0-level spells. Some of the class' spells are only viable as cantrips/orisons, and it doesn't affect game balance negatively. You might want to give it some thought! (Now, I don't mean to push my execution of the idea on you, I'm just pointing out how I did it/would do it :smallsmile: )