PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder [PF] [PEACH] The Private Eye (An Alchemist / Gunslinger Archetype)

magotter
2014-05-27, 09:25 AM
Alright, this is my first time posting over here, so lets see how I do. Regardless of the fact that the ACG is coming out in 2-3 months and possesses the Investigator, I've been looking over ways to incorporate a bit more Intelligence into the game. I had been looking over the Detective and Sleepless Detective Archetype and PrC, but I still found them extremely lacking. So I thought I'd give my hand to my own. Less a Holmes, Poirot, or Detective Conan, I was looking for something a bit more hardboiled in making this Archetype. I incorporated bits from the Gunslinger class with the intent less of making a hybrid class, and more akin to giving the Alchemist a reason to wield a gun and shake people down for answers. I admit it is extremely light on the fluff at the moment, as I only whipped it up a little time ago. Overall, this archetype leaves the Alchemist with a chasis of his Alchemy / Swift Alchemy / Instant Alchemy, and his Discoveries in-tact. It takes out Mutagen-, Bomb-, and Poison-related abilities in place of Gun-related ones, like an Int-based Grit, Deeds, Nimble, and Bonus Feats.
Right, here we go.

The Private Eye

Class Skills
The Private Eye adds Acrobatics, Bluff, Intimidate, and Knowledge (Local) as class skills.

Firearm Proficiency
At 1st level, a Private Eye gains proficiency in whichever firearm they choose from Gunsmithing.

Gunsmith (Ex)
A Private Eye knows his way around firearms and black powder about as well as any Gunslinger. At 1st level, the Private Eye gains Gunsmithing as a Bonus Feat. He also gains one of the following firearms of his choice: a blunderbuss, a musket, or a pistol. The gun he chooses starts out in the battered condition, and only he knows how to use it properly. All other creatures treat his gun as if it had the broken condition. Like a Gunslinger, the Private Eye can use the Gunsmithing feat to repair his chosen weapon. Once restored anyone may use his gun as if it were a normal, mundane firearm.
This ability replaces Brew Potions.

Nimble (Ex)
Starting at 1st level, a Private Eye gains a +1 dodge bonus to AC while wearing light or no armor. Anything that causes the Private Eye to lose his Dexterity bonus to AC also causes the Private Eye to lose this dodge bonus. This bonus increases by +1 for every four levels beyond 1st level (to a maximum of +5 at 17th level).
This ability replaces Poison Resistance and Poison Immunity.

Savvy (Ex)
Whether by a natural extension of his shrewd insight or by a volatile nature matching the weapons he wields, Private Eyes posses a knack of performing far beyond the talents of any normal marksman. This talent manifests itself as a pool of savvy similar to the pool of grit possessed by Gunslingers. At the start of each day, a Private Eye gains a number of savvy points equal to his Intelligence modifier (minimum 1). His savvy goes up or down throughout the day, but cannot go higher than his Intelligence modifier. A Private Eye expends savvy to accomplish Discovered Deeds (see below), and regains savvy in the following ways:

Critical Hit with a Firearm: Each time the Private Eye confirms a critical hit with a firearm attack while in the heat of combat, he regains 1 savvy point. Confirming a critical hit on a creature that has fewer Hit Dice than half the Private Eye’s character level does not restore savvy.
Killing Blow with a Firearm: When the Private Eye reduces a creature to 0 or fewer hit points with a firearm attack while in the heat of combat, he regains 1 savvy point. Destroying an unattended object, or reducing a creature that has fewer Hit Dice than half the Private Eye’s character level to 0 or fewer hit points does not restore any savvy.
Expend an extract: a Private Eye may expend one of his daily extracts to gain points of savvy equal to the level of the extract expended.

This ability replaces Mutagen. However, the Private Eye may still select Mutagen as one of his Discoveries.

Discovered Deeds
At 2nd Level, in addition to his normal selection of Discoveries available, the Private Eye may choose to select a single Gunslinger Deed in place of a Discovery. Treat the character's level in Private Eye as levels in Gunslinger for the purpose of meeting the minimum level requirement to use a Deed.
This ability modifies the Discovery ability.

Maintenance (Ex)
Starting at 2nd level, The Private Eye gains the knowledge to keep his firearms well oiled and in working order. He may ignore a firearm misfire a number of times per day equal to his Intelligence modifier. He may use this ability as a free action.
This replaces the Throw Anything feat.

Smart Shot (Ex)
Beginning at 2nd level, as a Swift Action, the Private Eye can add his Intelligence modifier on the damage roll of any single firearm attack he makes. By spending 1 Savvy point, he can add his Intelligence modifier to all firearm attacks he makes until the start of his next turn. He must be within 30 feet of his target to deal this extra damage. Creatures immune to critical hits and sneak attacks are immune to this extra damage.
This ability replaces Poison Use.

Bonus Feats
At 3rd level, and every 4 levels thereafter, the Private Eye receives a Bonus Feat. This feat must be a Combat Feat or a savvy Feat.
The replaces the Bombs ability.

Gunslinger
At 5th level the Private Eye receives Gunslinger as a Bonus Feat.
This ability replaces Swift Poisoning.

Dazing Shot (Ex)
At 14th level, the Private Eye's shots can put his foes into a stupor. As a full-round action, the Private Eye can spend a point of savvy to take aim and fire bullet at an enemy. If the attack hits, the enemy takes damage as normal, and must make a Fortitude save or else become Dazed for a round. The DC to avoid this condition is 10 + 1/2 the Private Eye's level + the Private Eye's Intelligence modifier. If the Private Eye spends 1 extra point of Savvy, he adds twice his Intelligence modifier to the DC. For every 5 points that the enemy fails their save, increase the duration of the effect by one round.
This ability replaces Persistent Mutagen.