PDA

View Full Version : Enough already!!!!

twerk_face
2007-02-17, 05:10 PM
Ok, Maybe this should go in a different area, but who else agrees that THOG ISN'T THAT GREAT!! I meen, hes a funny character, and he definitly has his moments, but why do people get so worked up over him? I meen, i definitly prefer the MitD and the Demon Roaches (and the new Teevo) to Thog, and by a long shot! I just don't get why everybody finds him so ridiculasly hilarious. Whos with me!

mikeejimbo
2007-02-17, 05:13 PM
Blasphemy. You shall be squeezed and denied ice cream.

Fus.Weapon 1337
2007-02-17, 05:14 PM
*slice 'n dice*

skyclad
2007-02-17, 05:34 PM
Ok, Maybe this should go in a different area, but who else agrees that THOG ISN'T THAT GREAT!! I meen, hes a funny character, and he definitly has his moments, but why do people get so worked up over him? I meen, i definitly prefer the MitD and the Demon Roaches (and the new Teevo) to Thog, and by a long shot! I just don't get why everybody finds him so ridiculasly hilarious. Whos with me!

I love you! Finally someone who stands up against the Thog maffia. I mean, this strip http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0051.html is hilarious but generally I like Nale, Xykon or the order a lot better.

TroyXavier
2007-02-17, 05:35 PM
Thog is definitely overrated. He's pretty funny at what he does, but he'd lose a lot of appeal if he appeared more often.

The Vorpal Tribble
2007-02-17, 05:42 PM
I think Thog is funny. Thats it. No great love.

Miko, I love to hate her. I like watching her get beat up. Thats it.

Neither of the above do I have strong emotions on either way.

Now the old guy that just departed, I pine for him. He had such style... odd how me and Belkar share something in common.

Demented
2007-02-17, 05:53 PM
:thog: thog power attack thread for 1d12+567!

Nahh.
Can't really argue if you don't like Thog. If you don't, you don't, right?

Nightmarenny
2007-02-17, 06:38 PM
Theres this thing people have. Opinions they call it. Actualy you seem to have it too. Thing about these "Opinions" two people can have completely different ones and yet neither can be wrong. Funny those "opinion" things.

Mr Teufel
2007-02-17, 06:42 PM
Thog appeals to our inner child. Some people have bigger inner childs than others. Me, I'm all inner child.

Yzorth
2007-02-17, 06:43 PM
Thog is okay. Not the best character. More on the lower end of things. I don't particularly like him.

HealthKit
2007-02-17, 11:02 PM
Meh, he has his moments, but to have such devout following...
He's highly overrated

Teloric
2007-02-17, 11:35 PM
What wrong with Thog? Thog like puppies. Thog like ice cream. You no like puppies? You no like ice cream? Thog no like you. Thog SMASH!

There. Now everybody like Thog again...

HealthKit
2007-02-17, 11:52 PM
What wrong with Thog? Thog like puppies. Thog like ice cream. You no like puppies? You no like ice cream? Thog no like you. Thog SMASH!

There. Now everybody like Thog again...

And it's that sort mentality that makes it all annoying...

EvilElitest
2007-02-18, 12:20 AM
I sort of doubt anyone really likes him as a character, they just find his antics and appeal to the inner child amusing.
From,
EE

416365416c
2007-02-18, 01:46 AM
It is probably that the inner child screams loudest for its opinion. The reason we haven't seen as many moderate 'Thog is an amusing but dumb comic relief character, who successfully fulfills his role' statements is because that sort of view does not require making a big deal of it. The inner child wants to say stuff without listening, and impulsively, which means you will hear a disproportionate amount of it.

Also the 'me love thog' posts tend to have poor grammar. That makes them additionally hard to endure, especially to anyone with a lawful alignment.

I agree that Thog isn't that great, after all he was outwitted by Elan (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0387.html). That suggests a very weak mind.

I fully respect that people may like Thog, and that is not a problem. However, I find it somewhat tiresome to see a disproportionate amount of posts which violate the laws of grammar in his name.(Not that everyone else uses good grammar)

Green Bean
2007-02-18, 08:07 AM
:thog: thog sad that twerk_face not like thog. thog go cry in room.

Aw man! Look at what you've done!

Morty
2007-02-18, 02:22 PM
Ahhh, at last. I thought I'm the only person on this board who actually doesn't admire Thog. Seriously, I like him and his lines, but all this me love thog on the board made me quite tired.

Shott
2007-02-18, 03:02 PM
Also the 'me love thog' posts tend to have poor grammar. That makes them additionally hard to endure, especially to anyone with a lawful alignment.

You have to be lawful to appreciate good grammar? While I do love Thog's silliness and consider myself chaotic, I still perfer good grammar.

Leather_Book_Wizard
2007-02-18, 03:21 PM
I like Thog. He is awesome. What do you have against him?

theKOT
2007-02-18, 03:35 PM
I also don't have any great love for greeny. He is alright, and occasionally funny, but the amount of cult-like following he produces is mind-blowing. I never found him particularly hilarious. It also irks me that so many people seem to find so much joy in posting completely unfunny things in thog-speak. Posting in bold with a Thog smilie in front of it doesn't make something funny.

ElfLad
2007-02-18, 03:40 PM
:thog: Observe as I ignore the entirety of your post! Sally forth and tally ho!

twerk_face
2007-02-18, 03:40 PM
I like Thog. He is awesome. What do you have against him?

Thing is, I have nothing against him, persay, I just hate all the hype with the people raving about him nonstop, as if nothing funnier is in the strip. When there is MUCH better stuff. Not that he's bad, he's funny in fact, he's just WAYYYYY overrated.

Morrsleib
2007-02-18, 03:42 PM
My opinion is that Thog is a good character, one of the best. He really have moments where i feel like i will die laughing, but Xykon, MitD, and Elan also have this. He's fantastic like all of the character but not on a speciel niveau

I to find him a overrated, but in my oppinion he have the two best sentences in the hole strip, maybe it's because i'm not the best at english and therefor not get all of the jokes (and therefor my grammar is so bad). "But :thog: just finished step 3: Stuffing potato salad into giant wooden alpaca."

Leather_Book_Wizard
2007-02-18, 03:43 PM
Eh,to each there own.

theKOT
2007-02-18, 03:49 PM
Eh,to each there own.
Now you're just yanking my chain.

Varian
2007-02-18, 03:54 PM
You have to be lawful to appreciate good grammar? While I do love Thog's silliness and consider myself chaotic, I still perfer good grammar.

I think he was saying that all lawfuls like good grammer, not that everyone who likes good grammer is lawful.

Varian
2007-02-18, 04:14 PM
And as for Thog himself, I like him, he is really funny. Altough he only stays funny because he is not overused. I'm not a thog lover as in 'OMG, woship Thog and all his greantness', I just smile when he comes on. And yea, that grammer thing is really annoying.

Rai Thunder
2007-02-18, 04:15 PM
Thog has had some moments. His journey with Elan was funny, and I absolutely loved his quest to find the Earth Sigil with Roy.

"Nale not let Thog have puppy"...etc.

Calamity
2007-02-18, 04:26 PM
Why do people post in thog-speak? Well, as it has been said: inner-child. A lot of people (including myself) may have used thog-speak because it appeals to the inner-child, now, appealing to the inner-child is usually a fun procress and therefore you get slight amusement out of it. Yes, there are some who take it too far, and so things get out of hand as you have pointed out, He is a fictional character, so why does anyone need to worship him?

Rai Thunder
2007-02-18, 04:31 PM
Let's not drag religion into this, as it could potentially be brought into the argument.

While it is fun to talk like Thog, I'll agree that worship is going a bit far.

HealthKit
2007-02-18, 04:35 PM
Well I for one am glad that I'm not the only who
1. Doesn't like Thog that much
2. Finds his fan's over-the-top "Me talk like Thog!" speak to be really annoying. Could you take it down a notch?

Green Bean
2007-02-18, 04:36 PM
why does anyone need to worship him?

Yea,
though I walk in the valley of the shadow of no puppies,
I will fear no personal pronouns,
For there art plenty of sprinkles,
and extra fudge ripple

(:smallbiggrin:)

dakiwiboid
2007-02-18, 04:46 PM

How do you feel about good spelling? :smallbiggrin:

Seriously, though, twerk_face, we all aren't amused equally by every single forum thread. If one doesn't please you, there's always the option of skipping it and going on to another one you find funnier. I don't see Thog-worship showing up in every single thread.

Hel65
2007-02-18, 05:09 PM
Well, I think I should start a thread about not particularly liking people who start threads to whine that other people like things they don't. It sure would be fun!

Oh wait. :smalltongue:

Copacetic
2007-02-18, 05:20 PM
I have NOTHING agaisn't Thog.

But I do have something agaisn't his Fans. I mean Thog brinfs humor and stuff but Is It really neceasary to make yourself and Thog fan boy/girl? Really people Thog is good but overused. If the Giant thought he is that important he would have him in every comic but he doesn't. Face it Fan boys and girls Thog isn't that funny and worshipping him just seems to wrong to comprehend

Rai Thunder
2007-02-18, 05:34 PM
Laugh, without worship.

Then you shall be happy. Sprinkles are optional.

rgoodfellow
2007-02-18, 07:54 PM
Oh for the loss of ice cream.

Sewer_Bandito
2007-02-18, 07:59 PM
:thog: thog sad that twerk_face not like thog. thog go cry in room.

*glares at the OP and pats thog on the back in a sympathetic manner*
See what you've done by speaking your blasphemies?!

twerk_face
2007-02-19, 01:39 PM

Seriously, though, twerk_face, we all aren't amused equally by every single forum thread. If one doesn't please you, there's always the option of skipping it and going on to another one you find funnier. I don't see Thog-worship showing up in every single thread.

That's the thing, I really do. :smalltongue:

ElfLad
2007-02-19, 02:00 PM
:thog: I, too, must put forth my opinion for all to evaluate for themselves. In truth, I believe Thog's fandom to be auspiciously overzealous in their praise of his attributes, generally causing his appeal to grow thin. I am particularly puzzled by their "attempts" at forming coherent arguments.

Person A: I am unamused when people post in Thog-speak. I don't think it's funny, and they never have anything worthwhile to add.

Person B: :thog: thog sad.

:thog: Really, by submitting a post with the exact same attributes that your opponents profess to hold in contempt, how can you possibly hope to convince them of the veracity of your own opinion? All that strategy would ever accomplish is to further increase their exasperation at Thog's fandom, a situation that is decidedly non-optimal.

Hel65
2007-02-19, 02:07 PM
[/B]:thog: Really, by submitting a post with the exact same attributes that your opponents profess to hold in contempt, how can you possibly hope to convince them of the veracity of your own opinion? All that strategy would ever accomplish is to further increase their exasperation at Thog's fandom, a situation that is decidedly non-optimal.

:thog: thog not care they have problem. thog have ice cream! yay!

MolotovH
2007-02-19, 05:30 PM
Really, by submitting a post with the exact same attributes that your opponents profess to hold in contempt, how can you possibly hope to convince them of the veracity of your own opinion? All that strategy would ever accomplish is to further increase their exasperation at Thog's fandom, a situation that is decidedly non-optimal.

Yeah... see, the problem with your theory is that you assume Thog's fans care what you think.

For my part, I think elves are pretty worthless. They exist in so many forms in D&D purely to give ego-centric fan-boys as many ways as possible to act haughty and talk down to NPCs and party members alike. But you? Obviously like them enough to name yourself "ElfLad."

So take a big tall glass of "suck it up," gents, because in the end:

:thog: Thog not care about other's perception of Thog.

ElfLad
2007-02-19, 05:51 PM
Yeah... see, the problem with your theory is that you assume Thog's fans care what you think.

For my part, I think elves are pretty worthless. They exist in so many forms in D&D purely to give ego-centric fan-boys as many ways as possible to act haughty and talk down to NPCs and party members alike. But you? Obviously like them enough to name yourself "ElfLad."

So take a big tall glass of "suck it up," gents, because in the end:

:thog: Thog not care about other's perception of Thog.

Funny story. I have one ear that kinda points at the tip, so my friend nicknamed me "ElfLad" because he likes sticking "Lad" at the end of names. I liked it enough that I started using it online. I actually share your feelings about elves, tbh.

:thog:Your perceptions appear to be less obvious than you had originally assumed them to be.

Shott
2007-02-19, 10:33 PM

Drat, you caught me. :smallsmile:

Vonriel
2007-02-19, 10:50 PM
Thing is, I have nothing against him, persay, I just hate all the hype with the people raving about him nonstop, as if nothing funnier is in the strip. When there is MUCH better stuff. Not that he's bad, he's funny in fact, he's just WAYYYYY overrated.

Meh, he has his moments, but to have such devout following...
He's highly overrated

Ok, Maybe this should go in a different area, but who else agrees that <Character> ISN'T THAT GREAT!! I meen, hes a funny character, and he definitly has his moments, but why do people get so worked up over him? I meen, i definitly prefer <character> and <character> (and <character>) to <character>, and by a long shot! I just don't get why everybody finds him so ridiculasly hilarious. Whos with me!

Does anyone else find it oddly amusing that all the above statements can be applied to the Elan fanclub, the Roy fanclub, the Hinjo fanclub, to a lesser extent the Miko fanclub, the demon roach fanclub.. etc, etc, etc.? People pick a character they can identify with - some people pick multiple characters, the ingrates - and have fun with it. It's no reason to bash that character or the following said character may have. Let the people have their fun. :smallsmile:

Mathias_Tanavar
2007-02-19, 10:55 PM
speaking backwards isn't childish... It's just silly...

There I said it

Thog isn't my favorite character by a long way but I don't mind that people hype him all that much, at least he doesn't have 50 threads stating how great he is (Unlike the 50 threads stating what/what won't Miko do now).

What I can't stand is when (and the same for Belkar, for whom it is much more common) people try and sat he isn't evil.... just because a guy likes puppies doesn't make him neutral... people who kill for bordems sake are EVIL, and people trying to argue otherwise becuase they can't accept that they are a fan of evil people is REALLY irritating

Vonriel
2007-02-19, 10:59 PM
I think that's more an issue of people trying to force modern day ethics into a black & white morality of a world such as D&D. Unfortunately, such people have always and will always exist.

Edit: Again, I seem to lose spelling the later it gets.

archon_huskie
2007-02-19, 11:13 PM
Thog is funny because he combines cute innocent evil and violent into the same mix.

HealthKit
2007-02-20, 03:44 AM
Does anyone else find it oddly amusing that all the above statements can be applied to the Elan fanclub, the Roy fanclub, the Hinjo fanclub, to a lesser extent the Miko fanclub, the demon roach fanclub.. etc, etc, etc.? People pick a character they can identify with - some people pick multiple characters, the ingrates - and have fun with it. It's no reason to bash that character or the following said character may have. Let the people have their fun. :smallsmile:

Yeah sure, let's face the fact we're all fans of something or someone. We wouldn't be here if we weren't.
But the point I think you and many others may be missing is that Thog fans take it WAY over the top compared to every other character.
Again, you can be a fan of anyone you choose, just make an effort to not annoy others on this board with said fandom.

Arlanthe
2007-02-20, 06:04 AM
Thog is funny, when used sparingly. Any more would be too much, but what there is I appreciate.

If the Thog fan volume is excessive, so is exclaiming about it and creating a post ending in four exclamation points. I take issue with neither.

Vonriel
2007-02-20, 10:20 AM
Edit: I'm not one for long drawn out debates, and I'm simply adding fuel to the fire on this one. Let's just agree to disagree, mmkay?

EvilElitest
2007-02-20, 11:34 PM
:thog: I, too, must put forth my opinion for all to evaluate for themselves. In truth, I believe Thog's fandom to be auspiciously overzealous in their praise of his attributes, generally causing his appeal to grow thin. I am particularly puzzled by their "attempts" at forming coherent arguments.

Person A: I am unamused when people post in Thog-speak. I don't think it's funny, and they never have anything worthwhile to add.

Person B: :thog: thog sad.

:thog: Really, by submitting a post with the exact same attributes that your opponents profess to hold in contempt, how can you possibly hope to convince them of the veracity of your own opinion? All that strategy would ever accomplish is to further increase their exasperation at Thog's fandom, a situation that is decidedly non-optimal.

Dude your brillent. Not only do you have a great webcomic, but that argument was great. That being said, i don't think the thog fans really care.
From,
EE

Arlanthe
2007-02-21, 03:30 AM
Actually, the "interesting" facet of Thog, borne of his... childlike simplicity, is that he is the only character that directly expresses how he is feeling or what he is thinking. I consider Miko and Belkar both "simple" people, in that their motivations are pretty straightforward, but they are still complex characters in different ways. Miko may always tell the truth, but Hades knows what is going through her head half the time. And Belkar is wild and unpredictable.

Most characters have hidden thoughts, and/or behaviors and actions that imply feelings and beliefs, but Thog is too stupid for duplicity or lies. That he didn't "spill Nale's beans" with Roy in the first book is only due to the fact Thog doesn't think or consider anything far beyond the moment. He can't even lie to himself. "Thog happy talky man happy." "Haha, talky man not know what Nale knows." "Thog sad." "Thog miss Sabine too!"

People often find that "feelings on the sleeve" behavior comforting, even if a dimwit is exhibiting those character traits. In a comic that took 400 strips for Haley to admit her feelings for Elan, Varsuvius' gender isn't even known, Emporers are insane-sane, every character has a secret or lies, the plot is increasingly thick, and every other person has ulterior motives, Thog is a known quantity.

Deuce
2007-02-21, 08:23 AM
well, me loves thog, I mean, it says so in my sig. I'm pretty sure that if he was in ever strip, the shtick would get old, but he isn't so no problem for me. There really isn't any character in this strip I don't enjoy. The "me love thog" thing started long before the current trend of "The X Fanclub" (where X is anyone or thing ever associated with the strip). He's not your bag, that's fine - what I find a little odd is getting bent over how much someone else likes something.

Vonriel
2007-02-21, 11:09 AM
The other thing about Thog is that (most people think) he's funny, when he's not really trying to be. His lines are always delivered in a rather serious tone, it's just that they way he says them and the context of them makes people laugh. Like, when Thog broke down the door because he had no weapon and said 'Thog improvise!' He wasn't being facetious, he was being serious, but I thought that line was hilarious.

spectheintro
2007-02-21, 11:11 AM
I find it extremely amusing that almost every post that attempted to discredit the "me like thog" template had either a misspelled word or bad grammar itself.

As for Thog's appeal, hey, to each his own. I absolutely love :thog:; he's probably my favorite character. If anything, I often find myself shocked at how much emotion Rich is able to convey through stick figures.

If you're tired of Thog posts, don't read them. Every time someone tries to argue how Miko "is just misunderstood," I feel like eating their children. But if they like her, they like her, and it's not really something worth discussing further.

Edit: Man, even just seeing :thog: makes me chuckle.