PDA

View Full Version : Erfworld 26

Minchandre
2007-02-17, 10:27 PM
So that's where "Erfworld" comes from! All those who guessed this, congrats!

Sisqui
2007-02-17, 10:30 PM
"Worst one yet"

I have no idea why I found that so funny :smallbiggrin:

Erk
2007-02-17, 10:30 PM
Heh, good strip. Funny and some background. I wonder just how much information Stanley gets from those chained lookamancers... doesn't seem to be perfect or he would know that the spidews weren't croaked by the main force.

Nerd_Paladin
2007-02-17, 10:31 PM
A jibe at those kvetchers who won't let the name thing go? Or just an inevitable comedic exchange?

Guildorn Tanaleth
2007-02-17, 10:31 PM
Ooh, the Arkenhammer glows.

The look on Stanley's face in panel 6 is hilarious.

ref
2007-02-17, 10:33 PM
see how Parson noticed a way to circunveit (sp?) the Tool's orders. (don't tell me what "spidews" are called in "stupidworld", but he didn't say a think about how "stupidworld" itself is called. Parson realizes that and shoots that his master. His evil smile is a big tell)

Sisqui
2007-02-17, 10:37 PM
The more I see of Stanley, the more he reminds me of Bobby Hill. Or maybe his granddad.......

TinSoldier
2007-02-17, 10:38 PM
Good one. "Stupidworld". Heh.

Guildorn Tanaleth
2007-02-17, 10:39 PM
circunveit (sp?)

Circumvent.

Wow, I'm bored.

ref
2007-02-17, 10:41 PM
hehe. Thanks for the right spelling.

KitsuneChan
2007-02-17, 10:48 PM
Panel 3? Priceless. Panel 6? More so, if possible. :smallbiggrin: Pwnsome expressions.

Daraken
2007-02-17, 10:48 PM
Seems like Stanley is able to telepathically communicate with those chained up lookamancers. Stanley holds his hand up to his hand just as the middle lookancer is doing as well.

Xenon
2007-02-17, 10:56 PM
well, seems like language has a few basic changes to pronunciation different from english....

glow in the dark hammer? nice :)

Woot Spitum
2007-02-17, 10:58 PM
I love the way Parson manages to irritate Lord Stanley every time he opens his mouth. This could be the beginning of a great comic duo.

DarkLightDragon
2007-02-17, 11:06 PM
Panel 6+"stupidworld"=priceless!

Hephaestus
2007-02-17, 11:14 PM
Panel 3 and panel 6 were the best D:

Maerad of Pellinor
2007-02-17, 11:28 PM
I feel like I should be insulted....They don't like our planet's name! :eek:

Querzis
2007-02-17, 11:33 PM
Well its going bad for Stanley side, he lost a blue dwagon and a bunch of spidews before the battle even begin. He already just had about 200 mans left so I'm sure he cant afford to lose to many monsters.

KillerCardinal
2007-02-17, 11:48 PM
Hmm, gotta wonder just HOW nasty Jillian was for Stanley to be specifically gunning for her.

BTW, I'm thinking of a HOMM4 style of imprisonment. Basically, whichever castle is closest(belonging to the winning hero), is where the loser is imprisoned. Then when that castle is taken, the hero is freed. Thus, Jillian keeps on being freed each time the previous castle was taken.

OTOH, I do like the idea that Wanda has been freeing her though.

ShneekeyTheLost
2007-02-17, 11:50 PM
I should hope this definitively prove that Erfworld is *NOT* the same world Parson was working on, or he would have known the critter's names. However similar it might have been, it clearly has enough differences to be officially 'not the same thing'.

I think Parson needs to get a rundown on his troop names and stats pronto before he starts working on strategy. That way he doesn't have to look so incompetent when, in fact, he is anything but.

Neofite
2007-02-17, 11:52 PM
Oh man!!! Great comic. Have to agree the look on Stanley's face is Priceless!!! :)

Keep up the good work

Solarious
2007-02-17, 11:59 PM
Parson + Secret Evil Smile = :smallamused:

Skydiving_Ninja
2007-02-18, 12:00 AM
I love Stanley's expression in the sixth panel!

Aiani
2007-02-18, 12:03 AM
I love Parson's expresion after Stanley says dwagon and spidews. That's just a great look of confusion and Stanley is just some kind of a hilarious moron.

charles
2007-02-18, 12:19 AM
The "torch" lights on the walls are actually glowing arms.

Anyone know the significance of this?

Querzis
2007-02-18, 12:24 AM

As long as they are not real arms it probably means nothing...Now I really hope those are not real arms but in a city were most of the troops are zombies you never know.

Firestar27
2007-02-18, 12:32 AM
Parson's expression = Priceless

Furin_Mirado
2007-02-18, 12:38 AM
Meh, I didn't find it very funny or informative. But it seems I'm the lone voice of dissent so I'll just go to sleep now.

Einar
2007-02-18, 01:03 AM
For some reason, I remember reading somewhere in the OOTS forums that speculation counts as spoilers, so to be on the safe side:

The torches look sort of like Hand(s) of Glory (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hand_of_glory), but since neither Parson nor the Tool seem to be suffering any ill effects they're either just decorations or inactive.

You hafta admit that narrow tunnels riddled with devices that cause line of sight paralysis would be rather useful if the aforementioned tunnels are overrun by enemy forces.

Minchandre
2007-02-18, 01:12 AM
For some reason, I remember reading somewhere in the OOTS forums that speculation counts as spoilers, so to be on the safe side:

The torches look sort of like Hand(s) of Glory (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hand_of_glory), but since neither Parson nor the Tool seem to be suffering any ill effects they're either just decorations or inactive.

You hafta admit that narrow tunnels riddled with devices that cause line of sight paralysis would be rather useful if the aforementioned tunnels are overrun by enemy forces.

That's Rich's policy so that he doesn't get affected by his fan's speculation.

I'm fairly certain that Rob explicitly said that it's not necessary for Erfworld (because the whole thing is essentially already scripted)

Emanick1
2007-02-18, 01:19 AM
Like everyone else says, this is priceless. I think it's the best one yet. Little plot advancement, lots of humor...my favorite kind of Erfworld strip. :smallbiggrin:

So that's where "Erfworld" comes from! All those who guessed this, congrats!

Where does Erfworld come from, by the way? I must have missed it...:smallannoyed:

Allandaros
2007-02-18, 01:28 AM
Where does Erfworld come from, by the way? I must have missed it...:smallannoyed:

Erf = Earth.

Erfworld = Earth-world.

Also, I feel rather appalled. Our entire planet has been insulted. And not just that.

Insulted by Stanley the TOOL.

:smallmad:

factotum
2007-02-18, 01:33 AM
Heh, good strip. Funny and some background. I wonder just how much information Stanley gets from those chained lookamancers... doesn't seem to be perfect or he would know that the spidews weren't croaked by the main force.

I don't think he ever said that they were. He said they were croaked by "that incursion group of Ansom's", which doesn't sound like a description of the main force to me--more like a description of a small scouting group, which is exactly what it is.

Maurog
2007-02-18, 01:56 AM
Why does that hand make me think of Tolkien's Barrow-Wights?
And great strip, really. Stupidworld, hehe.

BabbageCliolog
2007-02-18, 02:13 AM

It looks like a Hand of Glory (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hand_of_glory). Traditionally it's a the hand of a hanged man that is used to immobilize everyone in it's presence and unlock doors. Kinda rare to be using as a simple torch.

But with lots of uncroaked troops, the odds are that some body parts are probably lying around, waiting to be used for torches for "spooky atmosphere."

That's just my take on it.

/BC

BabbageCliolog
2007-02-18, 02:27 AM
It looks like a Hand of Glory (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hand_of_glory). Traditionally it's a the hand of a hanged man that is used to immobilize everyone in it's presence and unlock doors. Kinda rare to be using as a simple torch.

The Whitby Museum (http://www.whitbymuseum.org.uk/index.htm) (home of the Whitby Literary and Philosophical Society) in Whitby UK (http://www.whitbyonline.co.uk/) (located on the seacoast right next to the North Yorkshire Moors National Park) has a Hand of Glory (http://www.whitbymuseum.org.uk/d12/misc/index.htm): "The "Hand of Glory" supposedly comes from an executed criminal and was cut off the body while the corpse was still hanging from the gibbet. The recipe for its preparation is simple : squeeze the blood out of the hand; embalm it in a shroud and steep it in a solution of saltpetre, salt and pepper for two weeks and then dry in the sun. The other essential for its use is a candle made from hanged man's fat, wax and Lapland sesame. This candle was then fixed between the fingers of the hand and lit when a burglar broke into a house. Reputedly it prevented the inhabitants of the house from waking up thus allowing the burglar to investigate the house at his leisure. Various forms of this European legend abound. Probably the Museum's most viewed (and popular?) exhibit!"

/BC

Brawl
2007-02-18, 02:51 AM
panel 6 is beyond :D great job, waiting for more as always.

erewhon
2007-02-18, 02:59 AM
LOL!

Awesome strip. :) I love panel 6! :D

Also, it seems more and more obvious, this is NOT Parson's game, its a world thats very similar.

Green Bean
2007-02-18, 04:57 AM
Cool comic.

It seems that while Parson has worked on a game like this, all the names have been 'cutesified'. I wonder if that's going to be plot significant (and I also wonder if someone is teleported into Parson's actual game, and wants to know why they call dwagons dragons :smallbiggrin:)

Erk
2007-02-18, 09:23 AM
I don't think he ever said that they were. He said they were croaked by "that incursion group of Ansom's", which doesn't sound like a description of the main force to me--more like a description of a small scouting group, which is exactly what it is.

Ah, you're right. My bad.

I am a bit curious about the dialogue in the first panel, "we got that barbarian mercenary back." Probably, Stanley just means that they got her back in the dungeon... but with Jillian a mercenary, I wonder if she ever worked for Stanley's side before. Without knowing the dialogue before that panel, we don't know yet exactly how he means the word "back".

/me is keen to find out more. Hurry up, Tuesday!!

factotum
2007-02-18, 10:01 AM
Well, she's been captured before--Ansom said as much when they were talking before her mission. Seems most likely "back" means "captured again".

Harr
2007-02-18, 10:44 AM
Ok, possibly the best strip yet. Had me chuckling out loud. Facial expressions on both sides were amazingly good. In retrospect it shouldve been obvious this was going to happen sooner or later, but it still came off fresh, I thought.

Cobra_Ikari
2007-02-18, 11:30 AM
Cool comic.

It seems that while Parson has worked on a game like this, all the names have been 'cutesified'. I wonder if that's going to be plot significant (and I also wonder if someone is teleported into Parson's actual game, and wants to know why they call dwagons dragons :smallbiggrin:)

...that was my take, too. I don't think Parson really thought much about dialect when he was making his game. Most people tend to assume a pre-existing dialect, so "cutesified creature, magic, and place names only, everything else the same" would be unexpected.

LurkerBeneath
2007-02-18, 12:07 PM
I feel like I should be insulted....They don't like our planet's name! :eek:

Well, it does mean "dirt"...and I think we all know what dirtamancers have to work with.

...or the glowing Arkenhammer is warding them against paralysis.
-LB

ArmorArmadillo
2007-02-18, 02:23 PM
Okay, I take back everything negative I said about Erfworld. The writer did a really good job of establishing our expectations and then twisting them back on us. Superb comic.

twerk_face
2007-02-18, 03:30 PM
panel 6 is beyond :D great job, waiting for more as always.

I agree 100%. Absollutely hilarious. Cartooning at its finest. The contrast of the shortness of His Tool-ness to Parson's leg, plus the expresion on the Tool's face...priceless.

Well, maybe not finest. But it's up there.

Well, maybe not:smalltongue:

dakiwiboid
2007-02-18, 04:51 PM
I, too, am completely charmed by Parson's little smirk in the last panel! He looks so pleased with himself for putting something over on the Tool!

fractal
2007-02-18, 08:38 PM
I am a bit curious about the dialogue in the first panel, "we got that barbarian mercenary back." Probably, Stanley just means that they got her back in the dungeon... but with Jillian a mercenary, I wonder if she ever worked for Stanley's side before. Without knowing the dialogue before that panel, we don't know yet exactly how he means the word "back".
She's referred to as a warlord, not as a mercenary.

Aerysil
2007-02-19, 01:08 AM
I don't often post here, but I just had to say that look on his face was priceless :)

Marller
2007-02-19, 07:37 AM
That's Parson's new tool to annoy the Tool. Telling him how things are called on earth. :smallbiggrin:

Millennium
2007-02-19, 10:03 AM
I can't believe it took me this long to get the joke in Parson's name... now I really feel like a dork.

Hilary Moon Murphy
2007-02-19, 11:25 AM
Yes, I found this rather amusing as well. Especially "Stupidworld" and Parson's final expression.

Hmm

Jorkens
2007-02-19, 11:55 AM
Ah, you're right. My bad.

I interpreted it in the sense that you'd say "I'm going to take the shopping back to the house and then go to the pub" or something... my interpretation (ie guess) was that Stanley had just been telling Parson about the incursion force and was saying that it was a good thing they'd got Jillian back to Gobwin Knob before they were able to rescue her. Hence he later says "that incursion group [that I was just talking about]." Hence also he says "...that we got that barbarian warlord back" - which might imply that the previous conversation had been about something other than Jillian. If they'd been discussing (for instance) plans for the air battle, I think he'd more likely have got to a point in the conversation where she'd be referred to as 'the barbarian warlord' or by name or something.

The evidence for this is pretty shaky, though.

Top strip, by the way. I love the way that Stanley has the same response to real world names that a lot of the naysayers on this forum did to the 'stupid names' in Erfworld....

Tricky
2007-02-19, 12:13 PM
Chiming in to agree with Shneeky that this strip should kill once and for all the notion that Erfworld is Parson's creation.

Gamebird
2007-02-19, 12:16 PM
I like the lighting and attention to detail shown in the shading.

the_tick_rules
2007-02-19, 12:28 PM
so now erfworld is ripping on us is it? :smallamused:

Jorkens
2007-02-19, 12:47 PM
In Soviet Russia...

Gygaxphobia
2007-02-19, 12:52 PM
Should Parson be called "Pawson"? Is that a joke that means anything to anyone?

Does anyone notice how this story has eery parallels to OOTS? Both castles under seige (but arguably the bad guys are inside in this one). Lots of scrying used in both too.

It looks to me like Stanley's scrying is going to cause some major trouble, if he can see exactly what is happening outside.

pclips
2007-02-19, 12:57 PM

Don't worry. Tomorrow, I rip on myself. :smallamused:

Aliquid
2007-02-19, 01:32 PM
Chiming in to agree with Shneeky that this strip should kill once and for all the notion that Erfworld is Parson's creation.I'm a complete supporter of the "Not Parson's Game" argument (and have been from the start).

But... to be fair this strip does not provide enough evidence to kill the "Parson's Game" argument. It is still possible that it is Parson's geographical and tactical creation, with a modified population.

I don't believe that, I'm just saying it is possible.

Millennium
2007-02-19, 03:30 PM
Should Parson be called "Pawson"? Is that a joke that means anything to anyone?
Actually, I was thinking more along the lines of "Person."

chionophile
2007-02-19, 06:34 PM
I think the only joke in Parson's name is that "Parson Gotti" is a scramble of protagonist.

Maurog
2007-02-20, 03:47 AM
I think Parson should be called Parson. A-hahahahahaha!
Hey, it's a good joke, okay?

Grey Watcher
2007-02-20, 10:43 AM
I think the only joke in Parson's name is that "Parson Gotti" is a scramble of protagonist.

Wow. I that's impressive. I wish I'd noticed that.

chionophile
2007-02-20, 11:39 AM
I can't take credit for it, someone else spotted it first. Can't remember who it was that posted it first. But yeah, it's pretty sneaky.