PDA

View Full Version : Paladin ideas.

Talanic
2007-02-18, 01:16 AM
This is just what I'd like to play as my next character.

Paladin
Homebrew parts:
Remove Detect Evil: Instead, Paladin adds class level to Sense Motive checks. Note that Sense Motive tells if the target (e.g. the one using bluff) believes what it's saying, not whether or not the information coming from the target is actually true. This gives a high level Paladin a chance to get close to someone using Glibness with no bluff skill trained.

Add Craft: Tattoos to the paladin's skill list. You'll see why in a moment.

Possibly replace Cure Disease with Mark of Justice.

Hush. This will only hurt for a moment, and it's far less than you deserve. I am a Knight of Tyr's Left Hand. Shhh. No, I know he doesn't have a left hand. That's what I'm working to try and fix.

I believe that, centuries ago, Tyr was whole. We crippled him. We forgot that the scales must be balanced, guilt and innocence, but with mercy between them. Most knights these days know nothing of mercy. Shh. Stay still. You won't break my grip.

I believe in second chances. This is what you're getting right now. You're young, rash, and easily influenced. You've hurt lots of people in your brigandry, and you probably deserve to be punished. But I believe in second chances, and I believe that if I get enough people to also, Tyr will eventually be restored.

The other Paladins know of me and tolerate me. They'll be keeping an eye on you. That's why I'm putting this symbol on your forehead. If you go to the altar of Tyr once a month and offer your repentance, maybe he might take his holy symbol back. Maybe not. If you go back to your evil ways, though, it'll burn its way to the back of your skull.

I believe in second chances. I don't believe in third.

Mr Teufel
2007-02-18, 02:01 AM
I don't know much anything about Tyr. Can you link something for me?

But I certainly liked the fluff.

ExHunterEmerald
2007-02-18, 03:15 AM
Nice. Very nice.

icke
2007-02-18, 07:23 AM
Very nice, flavor-wise, but the Mark of Justice might be a bit more powerfull than the Remove Disease ability - not that I mind that, since the Paladin class is one of the weakest classes.
Maybe You want to consider some of these options for a Pal of this sort, too:

- At the paladin's option, Smite Evil may do subdual damage.

- Add the Bring 'em Back Alive class feature from the Bloodhound prestige class

- use Atonement instead of Remove Disease as special ability(requiring enough atoneable NPC's, of course)

Talanic
2007-02-18, 11:55 AM
I like the idea of non-lethal smite. Where can I find the Bloodhound? I haven't seen that class before, don't know the class feature.

As for Mark of Justice, the casting time's ten minutes long and you have to capture your enemy first. It's always struck me as a fluff or plot spell anyways. Any enemy of great importance will be able to track down a remove curse or break enchantment. That said, Atonement fits just as well, flavor-wise, and I could just memorize Mark of Justice--at high enough level.

If the Paladin's too weak, what would you do?

Talanic
2007-02-19, 12:26 AM
Oh, and for mythology of Tyr--

Tyr is based on the Norse god of honor and courage. Norse Tyr lost his hand when the Norse gods decided to chain Fenrir the Great Wolf; he suspected they were up to something when they tried to bind him, and only allowed them to if one would put their hand in his mouth while they bound him. Tyr stepped up.

According to Wikipedia, in 2nd Ed, Tyr was not BASED on Norse Tyr; he WAS Norse Tyr. From Earth.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tyr_%28Forgotten_Realms%29

arnoldrew
2007-02-19, 01:15 AM
According to Wikipedia, in 2nd Ed, Tyr was not BASED on Norse Tyr; he WAS Norse Tyr. From Earth.

Wow. That's actually pretty cool. As is the character idea.

Mr Teufel
2007-02-19, 07:35 AM
Just adds to the charm. Thank you. And well done.

icke
2007-02-19, 08:10 AM
I like the idea of non-lethal smite. Where can I find the Bloodhound? I haven't seen that class before, don't know the class feature.

As for Mark of Justice, the casting time's ten minutes long and you have to capture your enemy first. It's always struck me as a fluff or plot spell anyways. Any enemy of great importance will be able to track down a remove curse or break enchantment. That said, Atonement fits just as well, flavor-wise, and I could just memorize Mark of Justice--at high enough level.

If the Paladin's too weak, what would you do?

The Bloodhound is a prestige class from Complete Adventurer, the feature just allows Your character to reduce the target's hit points to -1 whenever the target would be reduced to -2 or less by Your characters attack.

The thing with Mark of Justice is, it's something Your character can actively choose to use on any other being. Both Remove Disease and Atonement require something other than Your character's action: a person that's ill, or willing to atone.

What to do if the Paladin's too weak? First, this is my personal impression ,and it should not be granted any credibility without careful analysis. That said, there are many homebrew variants of the Paladin class, or just some of its class features, right on this forum. Just pick the one You like best and try to convince Your DM.

Eighth_Seraph
2007-02-19, 09:52 AM
^ Good synopsis. The best homebrew Paladin I've seen to date can be found here (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=33551). The mark of justice can simply be added to Lawful Good paladin spell list, or you can add a mantle for it.