PDA

View Full Version : Secret of Evermore

Woot Spitum
2007-02-18, 02:51 PM
Am I the only person who played this game? One of the last games to come out for the SNES, Secret of Evermore had a fun, easy to use battle system, an innovative magic system (alchemy), good graphics, great music, and absolutely hilarious dialogue. I invite everyone who has appreciated the genius of this game to discuss it.

Fus.Weapon 1337
2007-02-18, 02:55 PM
Is that the one with that "Carltron" guy?

JadedDM
2007-02-18, 03:45 PM
I've played it, and beaten it. Years ago. I don't own it now, but I always did intend to add it to my collection.

I don't remember all that much about it, though. I remember the dog kept changing shape in each world and the menu system was identical to Secret of Mana, another favorite. That's about it.

Pirata
2007-02-18, 04:01 PM
Played it, beaten it. However, this game is one of the reasons why Seiken Densetsu 3 (Secret of Mana 2) never crossed the Pacific. Because of that, I despise it even if it was a good game...

JadedDM
2007-02-18, 04:40 PM
No, that's not true. Secret of Evermore wasn't produced instead of any new titles in any existing series. Its team was specifically hired to create it and they would not have been assembled otherwise. That's a common misconception.

Pirata
2007-02-18, 06:21 PM
No, that's not true. Secret of Evermore wasn't produced instead of any new titles in any existing series. Its team was specifically hired to create it and they would not have been assembled otherwise. That's a common misconception.

However, the poor sales from Secret of Evermore stateside, which is a cult hit at best, made Square don't bother bringing Seiken Desentsu 3 to the US since both games are very similar.

Of course that's not the only reason, it's not even the major reason. The high difficulty level of SD3 also helped, as very difficult games had a tough time penetrating the US audience at that time. A ridiculous big pile of endless bugs on SD3 also helped. SMRPG development and translation helped. Also, the end of SNES life cycle was there too, amongst other reasons.

Gralamin
2007-02-18, 06:30 PM
I hated it, I didn't find it fun compared to other games of the age.

Woot Spitum
2007-02-18, 07:32 PM
Is that the one with that "Carltron" guy?

Yep. Carltron was one of the bad guys.

Toastkart
2007-02-18, 07:48 PM
I still have it and break it out to play every now and then. My only complaint is that your dog gets changed into a pink poodle at one point. All his other forms are pretty sweet.

Missing Shoe
2007-02-19, 12:12 PM
Heh, yeah I loved this game as a kid. I've beaten it several times. Although I definitely think your dog goes down hill from the start. Seriously:

wolf->greyhound->poodle->toaster
It was nice effect but the wolf was definitely the best of the bunch (appearance wise).

Roderick_BR
2007-02-23, 10:57 PM
I played it. Good times...
Damn... I think I wasted 30 minutes fighting the wolves in the first level before giving up.

Thervold
2007-02-26, 03:04 PM
I remember playing it long ago. I remember I enjoyed it. I can't remember a thing about the actual game.

ShneekeyTheLost
2007-02-26, 08:12 PM
I loved Secret of Evermore. The Bazaar in Antiquia was just awsome, trying to see how many things I could get before I was forced into a fight. And I loved the toaster-dog. He was easily the most powerful form of your pet. It did have plenty of secrets you normally didn't find first time 'round (unless you had the strategy guide).

Yes, it did borrow heavily from Secret of Mana, however I am also a HUGE fan of Secret of Mana, so I didn't mind at all.

And I find it ironic that the main character, who is a huge fan of cult-hits and obscure movies, is now the star of a cult-hit obscure game.

Saint George
2007-03-03, 02:51 AM
Very few of heard of this game and I am glad it at least has a bit of a following. I am a huge fan of this little gem and still break it out whenever I need a nostalgia fix. The only real complaint I hear about this game is that it kept SD3 from coming to our shores, but give the poor game a break. The alchemy system is great, the Bazaar system was insanely fun, and how can you not love the characters? The dialogue and campy movie quotes were hilarious. (I still use some of them when I can sneak them in. "We may not have a rat's chance in a room full of cats, but we are gonna go for the cheese")

Please, if you ever need a good old fashioned nostalgia trip, give this little game a go and give it a good home.

Suraht
2007-03-03, 11:50 PM
The dialogue and campy movie quotes were hilarious. (I still use some of them when I can sneak them in. "We may not have a rat's chance in a room full of cats, but we are gonna go for the cheese")

That quote was right up there in the groanability ratings as the "He was a pain in the glass!" quote.

I liked this game, even if it figuring out how to hit one particular switch took me the better part of an hour and dumb luck when I just decided to attack the thing out of frustration, and the sword hit it.

JadedDM
2007-03-04, 12:46 AM
I remember there was an item called the Sphere of Annihilation. It was totally useless, and a merchant referred to it as a 'piece of C..R..A..SS."

I also recall Cecil of FF4 making a cameo in that game.

Saint George
2007-03-04, 01:18 AM
Oh yea! Cecil was in this game! He took all the armor, weapons, and useless items he found over the years and opened up a shop with Rosa.

Also, a large part of the cast of FF3(6) are sitting in the arena stands.

For further references you can also trade items for a Chocobo Egg.

TheOOB
2007-03-04, 11:00 PM
Played it, beaten it. However, this game is one of the reasons why Seiken Densetsu 3 (Secret of Mana 2) never crossed the Pacific. Because of that, I despise it even if it was a good game...

You speak the truth. Seiken Densetsu 3 was wonderful, but we didn't get it because we got a more americanized game. Sure SoE wasn't bad, but it was a pale imitation.

That Lanky Bugger
2007-03-05, 12:40 AM
Oh yea! Cecil was in this game! He took all the armor, weapons, and useless items he found over the years and opened up a shop with Rosa.

Also, a large part of the cast of FF3(6) are sitting in the arena stands.

For further references you can also trade items for a Chocobo Egg.

Really? Now I have to go back and check it out! I didn't notice it when I played it through for the last time.

Then again, the last time I played it I was maybe 10 or 11. :smallsmile:

I do remember being a fan, though. I liked the alchemy thing he did. It was an interesting addition to the game.