View Full Version : Prestige Class: Warrior of Darkness

Harkone
2007-02-18, 03:30 PM
WARRIOR OF DARKNESS

Requirements:
Patron Deity: Bane
Alignment: LE
Base Attack: +6
Feats: Cleave, Improved Sunder, Iron Will, Power Attack, Skill Focus: Intimidate
Skills: Intimidate 9 ranks, Knowledge: Religion 4 ranks, Sense Motive 2 ranks

HD: d10 Base Attack Bonus: +1 Favored Saving Throws: Fortitude and Will

Class Skills (2+Int): Bluff, Climb, Concentration, Craft, Diplomacy, Gather Information, Handle Animal, Intimidate, Jump, Knowledge: Planes, Knowledge: Religion, Profession, Ride, Sense Motive, Spellcraft, Swim

-Gains proficiency in all simple and martial weapons, as well as all armors and shields

Class Abilities:

1st: Gaze of the Black Lord
Aura of Evil (stacks with other classes that grant aura of evil)
Detect Good/Detect Chaos at will

2nd: +1 level of existing divine spellcasting class OR bonus Fighter or Turning-based feat
Blackguard Spells 1st
Favor of the Black Lord
Aura of Despair 1

3rd: Wrath of the Black Lord 1/day

4th: +1 level of existing divine spellcasting class OR bonus Fighter or Turning-based feat
Blackguard Spells 2nd
Aura of Despair 2

5th: Rebuke/Command Undead

6th: +1 level of existing divine spellcasting class OR bonus Fighter or Turning-based feat
Blackguard Spells 3rd
Wrath of the Black Lord (unholy OR axiomatic) 2/day
Aura of Despair 3

7th: Fury of the Black Lord

8th: +1 level of existing divine spellcasting class OR bonus Fighter or Turning-based feat
Blackguard Spells 4th
Aura of Despair 4

9th: Wrath of the Black Lord (unholy AND axiomatic) 3/day

10th: +1 level of existing divine spellcasting class OR bonus Fighter or Turning-based feat
Aura of Despair 5

Gaze of the Black Lord: The Warrior of Darkness gains a bonus on all Intimidate checks equal to his prestige class level.

Blackguard Spells 1st: At 2nd level, the Warrior of Darkness adds all 1st level Blackguard spells to his spell list (only if he can already cast 1st level divine spells).

Favor of the Black Lord: The Warrior of Darkness applies his CHA modifier (if positive) on all saving throws.

Aura of Despair 1: Beginning at 2nd level, the Warrior of Darkness radiates a malign aura that causes enemies within 10’ to take a -2 penalty on all saving throws.

Wrath of the Black Lord: 1/day starting at 3rd level, the Warrior of Darkness may attempt to smite a good or chaotic foe with one normal melee attack. He adds his CHA modifier (if positive) to the attack roll and deals 1 extra point of damage per Warrior of Darkness level. If the Warrior of Darkness accidentally smites a creature that is not good or chaotic, the smite has no effect but is still used up. At 6th level he can use this ability 2/day, and his weapon is considered either unholy or axiomatic (Warrior’s choice) for that attack. At 9th level he can use this ability 3/day, and his weapon is considered both unholy and axiomatic for that attack.

Blackguard Spells 2nd: At 4th level, the Warrior of Darkness adds all 2nd level Blackguard spells to his spell list (only if he can already cast 2nd level divine spells).

Aura of Despair 2: Beginning at 4th level, the Warrior of Darkness can use the Intimidate skill to demoralize all opponents within 30’ of him.

Rebuke/Command Undead: Beginning at 5th level, the Warrior of Darkness gains the supernatural ability to rebuke and command undead as a cleric of 4 levels lower.

Blackguard Spells 3rd: At 6th level, the Warrior of Darkness adds all 3rd level Blackguard spells to his spell list (only if he can already cast 3rd level divine spells).

Aura of Despair 3: Beginning at 6th level, the Warrior of Darkness can use the Intimidate skill to demoralize opponents as a free action.

Fury of the Black Lord: 3/day beginning at 7th level, the Warrior of Darkness can take a full attack action in conjunction with a move action OR when making a normal full attack action (limited to a 5’ move as usual) can make an additional attack at his highest attack bonus.

Blackguard Spells 4th: At 8th level, the Warrior of Darkness adds all 4th level Blackguard spells to his spell list (only if he can already cast 4th level divine spells).

Aura of Despair 4: Beginning at 8th level, the malign aura radiated by the Warrior of Darkness causes enemies within 30’ of him to take a -4 on saving throws against fear effects (in addition to the -2 on all saving throws suffered by those enemies within 10’ of him), including opposed Intimidate checks.

Aura of Despair 5: Beginning at 10th level, when the Warrior of Darkness demoralizes opponents using the Intimidate skill, they become panicked instead of shaken.

Damon_Caskey
2007-02-18, 04:26 PM
Uhm how do I say this diplomatically…

I don’t find any of these classes are particularly impressive, especially considering you filled almost the entire front page with them. I don’t find any stand out mechanics, the formatting is difficult to understand, there are no tables, and worst of all, no flavor.

Even some of the titles are lacking. “Warrior of Darkness”? Sounds like something some goth punk would come up with; about as intimidating as a trip to the Dairy Queen.

It’s as if you sat down, hashed out a bunch of quick themes, and then spammed the board with throwaway ideas in a quantity over quality approach. I'm sorry to be so harsh, and I'm sure there are some salvageable ideas here, but you are going to have to put forth more effort then has been shown. I suggest you go back, fix the tables, add the flavor first and then build the classes around them.

DC

Harkone
2007-02-18, 05:01 PM
I'm new to the Forum, so I am not familiar with all the protocol. Here I was just throwing out some of the prestige classes and character classes I've come up with over the last few years for people's comments and possible use. My aim wasn't exciting new mechanics or catchy titles, but playable, usable (meaning not radically new or bizarre) classes that people could use in their campaigns (I've already found ideas on the forum I like and may use in my own campaigns). I find the wierder/more radical someone's new ideas are, the harder they are to incorporate into a game. So use them or not as you see fit, but there's no need to mock me.

Specifically, the one you singled out (The Warrior of Darkness), for example, is a variation on the Blackguard particular to the realms god Bane; the Flame of the Dark Sun is a similar idea for Cyric. The idea was to have something other than a standard "blackguard" for worshippers of very different evil deities.

I don't pretend that these ideas are different, exciting, or even particularly original, but I myself am always working on new ideas such as these (and others I've found on this Forum) that can actually be used in my regular games. So hopefully someone out there can get some use out of them.

Damon_Caskey
2007-02-18, 05:44 PM
I’ll buy that, and by citing the lack of new mechanics I don’t mean you have to reinvent the wheel. I’m also a proponent of using off the shelf material. The trick is that you want to both keep it playable with preexisting material and introduce a concept that doesn’t already exist, or at least revisit an existing concept from a new angle.

The flavor thing however cannot be looked past. Pace yourself a bit, and flesh out each class before posting it. Otherwise it’s no more then a collection of pointless numbers.

Don’t get me wrong, I’m not trying to discourage you; I’m new myself. I’m just being honest with you. I think if you focused more on the classes individually you might get a better response for your investment. Keep it at, and best of luck!

DC

Harkone
2007-02-18, 11:15 PM
Thanks for the feedback. I will attempt more fleshing-out in the future (I forget sometimes that I'm not standing there next to the reader to describe the class in question in exciting detail).