PDA

View Full Version : Halo (PC)

Amotis
2007-02-18, 06:55 PM
Kay, who plays and what's your screen name?

Amotis. I like sniper rifles and games with no shields. I also married a banshee.

Samiam303
2007-02-18, 06:58 PM
Samiam303 on there as well. I mainly play Blood Gulch but I've been sick of it lately. Looking for new fun maps.

LurkerInPlayground
2007-02-18, 10:01 PM
Veni. Vedi. Vici. I came for a time, saw what there was to see and left.

Needless to say, there is brokeness within the game. Firstly, the PC version doesn't translate the console version as well. The console version was better in my humble opinion with the thing I call "auto-aim."

Ironic, I know, but the sniper rifle doesn't hit unless you lead your target by 30 degrees (yes, a hyperbole) or something. Similarily everything else feels less lethal simply because the precision of the weapons (accuracy is different) are just off. Still there's something to be said for the fluidity of play. Down-wheel for melee, up-wheel for weapon switch, right click for grenade, good old "WASD" movement and "R" for reload. Handles like a dream.

At any rate, vehicles are broken, as are fuel rod guns and flamethrowers (to a lesser degree). Seriously, try driving the Ghost through the tunnels at Sidewinder. Got it? Now get good at it and try flag-capping it while capitalizing the stop-stun of its infinite plasma firepower. See what I mean? The Ghost stops on a freaking dime. As long as you use your stunning firepower and greater maneuverability and ability to utilize cover, you can even shoot down unskilled banshees that get too close to you.

Now try tank-sniping. It's more or less approximates what it sounds like. It has a large scatter precision, but you can minimize error by basing the explosion off of slopes or objects near your target. Like with rockets, you try to detonate the explosion on a surface close to your target. By keeping a shifting pattern of movement and utilizing cover, you can also destroy enemy tanks that are far too aggressive and lacking in caution. Similarly, Warthogs tend to stick to walls or will drive down slopes at *some point,* so time your shot accordingly. Really, think of the tank as being more like ultra-lethal artillery. You're vulnerable, but as long as you make them go *pop* they can't touch you. Don't believe me? On Halo console, I did this trick to the first attacking Warthog party coming along the Red-side cliff on Blood Gulch. Cries of "Bull****!" were raised and the game reset.

Now use the Banshee. Don't fly in circles when dog-fighting. Try to break the pattern of the fight by getting in a decisive blow. When killing ground foes, support your team and play defensively. Fly in passes and make sure you discipline yourself to make the most of the fuel rod cannon and avoid tanks, they're your natural enemies. With some skill, and a friend, you can utterly blockade enemy offensives by playing defense.

Spawn camping with the fuel-rod gun? Don't even get me started on that. Also breathing fire with the flamethrower at moving Warthogs is hilarious. It shouldn't have stopping power on a moving vehicle, but it does.

Ego Slayer
2007-02-18, 10:16 PM
QueenOfHell. Mind you there is more than one player with that name. My brother actually played a game with one. If you see one... question her first. :smallwink:

I own Wizard, shotguns, no shield maps. On CE I play Coldsnap religiously. I own that too.

:smallamused:

Morrandir
2007-02-18, 11:19 PM
I'm mildly curious as to why NOBODY likes to have shields on. At all. I don't play online (might later, once some friends get decent comps), but I checked it out once, and there were 30 games, most of which were SNIPER MATCH NO SHIELDZ PROS ONLEE.

Amotis
2007-02-18, 11:35 PM
I started my FPS career in Counter Strike. I'm used to one shot kills, aiming for the head, fast paced games that demand fast hands. So when I play halo with shields...it...seems...sooo...slooooowwww....

Seriously, I could unload a shotgun into the guy's face and he still would shoot back. It's just not my style.

LurkerInPlayground
2007-02-18, 11:47 PM
I started my FPS career in Counter Strike. I'm used to one shot kills, aiming for the head, fast paced games that demand fast hands. So when I play halo with shields...it...seems...sooo...slooooowwww....

Seriously, I could unload a shotgun into the guy's face and he still would shoot back. It's just not my style.

Well that's the thing about the console version: it's more lethal (covered in my above post). Pistols have a way of wounding you pretty fast when a skilled player is doing the shooting. You're better insulated from certain things, but not others. It's a nice game mechanic since it rewards people who manage their resources well.

I do like the challenge of beating the shields though. Such as plopping a grenade in the path of moving vehicles or players...who, when caught unawares, are left reeling and vulnerable to pistol fire.

Here's a nasty trick I like on more massive arenas: Look for people piling into a Warthog. It takes them awhile, and in the meantime they crowd anxiously around a heavy object capable of crushing Spartans like ants...while a rocket soars in lazily...spouting fiery exhaust. Got a pistol for cleanup? Well, no matter, even if you're not within pistol-range, you end up getting a kill or three. (Was that Belkar-ish enough? Bweh...heh...heh...)

Amotis
2007-02-19, 12:17 AM
I did enjoy the console version very much, I was very disappointed when my marine pistol didn't work the way I remembered it.

Lykan
2007-02-19, 12:55 AM
IronWolf.

My computer lags.

Thus, I suck.

Ego Slayer
2007-02-19, 01:40 PM
I'm mildly curious as to why NOBODY likes to have shields on. At all. I don't play online (might later, once some friends get decent comps), but I checked it out once, and there were 30 games, most of which were SNIPER MATCH NO SHIELDZ PROS ONLEE.
Because I seriously prefer when people die upon taking a single shot.

When you're in Slayer games it's a lot more fun without shields... Of course in CTF shields are quite useful.

Artanis
2007-02-19, 03:02 PM
I haven't played Halo online in a few months, but when I did, I went by Artanis. My best maps are probably Infinity and Chiron TL-34, and the game type I'm best at is definitely Race...not because I'm a good driver, but because it seems I'm always the only one who actually runs the race rather than just sitting around killing everybody.

I'm mildly curious as to why NOBODY likes to have shields on. At all.
I like no shields because I'm a cheap bastard with the Warthog's minigun. Seriously, Blood Gulch + No Shields = untouchable flag :smallcool:

Woot Spitum
2007-02-19, 03:27 PM

I think it's ok for single player as long as the enemies are relentless enough, but it can slow down multiplayer too much. If there was no reloading, then maybe shields would be fun, but there is, so they aren't.

Ego Slayer
2007-02-19, 03:38 PM
I like no shields because I'm a cheap bastard with the Warthog's minigun. Seriously, Blood Gulch + No Shields = untouchable flag :smallcool:
Unless the game ends on a time limit, and not score: Okay. Game ends after 5 scores: BAD. I've played a few like that... Painful. The game virtually never ends.:smalltongue:

LurkerInPlayground
2007-02-20, 01:50 AM
Unless the game ends on a time limit, and not score: Okay. Game ends after 5 scores: BAD. I've played a few like that... Painful. The game virtually never ends.:smalltongue:

Then you get those 16-player Blood Gulch matches where one side has all the skill and all the vehicles and you have tanks and banshees racking up to 50 or more kills apiece. (Not sure about the Ghosts, though I'm sure those things are hellishly powerful on the defense with good tank and air support.) The match drags out especially if one side tends to keep the vehicles on the defense. Either way, it's a bloody affair.

Ego Slayer
2007-02-20, 02:29 AM
This is exactly why I stay away from BG CFT.

It's good for Slayer, sometimes... Never Team though, IMHO. You get people who virtually spawn kill from the cliffs. It's horrid in on CE, because there is a modded BG with these sick hidden teleport spots... Yeah, *is owned*

I love my Chill Out Slayers though. Prisoner, and Rat Race are good too.

I owned a Chiron once... OWNED. God, that map has given me a few heart attacks. The half fun of that is not having the slightest clue when you're gonna got shot.

Samiam303
2007-02-20, 09:40 PM
I love playing blood gulch where the only vehicles are Warthogs. As lame as that may seem, it makes running people over into a much more appealing form of attack. :biggrin:

Healos
2007-02-20, 10:38 PM
*BAM**BAM* dead! I'm great with no scoping, f34R my melee, I've bin playing for like 2 years now, crushed the campaigns on legendary, ether the other 3 banshee flayer sucked or I pawn with and at banshee. [sa] shade mi name, the [sa] clan is currently looking for new members from ok-god like skills, I'm there leader and founder if you wanna try out add me on Xfire at s4shade or add dan1994 (Halo sn:[sa] Encore) he's the head of recruiting. [sa]="special agent" I love wizard, chill out, blood gulch(tank wars :p),battle creek and danger canyon.

Ego Slayer
2007-02-21, 01:10 AM
Dude, if you'd really played for two years you would have been 11 when you started... Seeing as we live in the same house... I can tell you, quite assuredly, that this is untrue.:smallwink:

Healos
2007-02-21, 08:17 AM
...I was 11...gosh:smallmad:
who want Halo 2(I'm not giving free copies OK)? and what is your least favorite...die heavy weaponry!

finaly what everyone maximue kill and with what weapon/vehicles. do NOT count kill for CE cuzz thoughs mods are cheep kill, not that there not fun. mine was with snipe no shields !218! here a screen-shot of it

lalalalala (http://img207.imageshack.us/img207/8452/218killbooyazt9.png)

Saithis Bladewing
2007-02-21, 09:30 AM
Oh my...the above poster frightens me.

Anyway, I was completely bored with the PC version and didn't bother to pick it up (borrowed from a friend). I'll stick with the Xbox. I just feel it didn't port to the PC very well...