PDA

View Full Version : Giving Joker's Items to a Lich... Yeah you read that right (3.P and 4e) (Help)

SpawnOfMorbo
2014-06-03, 02:04 PM
So I recently ran another level 2 Lich for a party of level 1 4e PCs. I've ran a variant for 3.P before and I may do this again soon.

I want to spice things up though, I want to make it special!

I'm going to run the Lich as Joker from Batman. At least in personality... Which you know, crazy and evil is something they have in common.

However I'm bad at making magic items that are ok for party members to loot. Sadly I make them too weak or way too powerful.

I would like some help in making some 3.P and 4e magic items based off the following.

Acid Flower: Pinned to the Lich's suit is a yellow flower. When activated this will shoot alchemist acid or conjure/evoke acid.

Shocker Ring: Usually used as a practical joke when shaking hands, the Lich has modified this item to give a bigger jolt of electricity when he touches a creature with the underside of this ring.

Toy Hammer:

Laughing Gas: (this might already exist and I don't know it.)

Punching Glove Rocket Launcher:

Joker in the Box:

Playing Cards: These will work as daggers if thrown. They all depict a joker. If used against someone with flowing cloths (or a cape) may be used to pin them against the ground, wall or structure.

Any suggestions?

gr8artist
2014-06-03, 10:14 PM
Pathfinder's acid splash cantrip (flower) and shocking grasp spell (joy buzzer) seem like obvious choices.
Hideous laughter spell might be a bit too strong, but as a limited use item shouldn't be too bad.
Use the mechanics for the hydraulic push spell for your boxing glove, dealing nonlethal damage on a hit.

SpawnOfMorbo
2014-06-04, 10:17 AM
Pathfinder's acid splash cantrip (flower) and shocking grasp spell (joy buzzer) seem like obvious choices.
Hideous laughter spell might be a bit too strong, but as a limited use item shouldn't be too bad.
Use the mechanics for the hydraulic push spell for your boxing glove, dealing nonlethal damage on a hit.

Hydraulic Push! Totally forgot about that spell!

I might make the laughing gas (hideous laughter) be
(1 Round) or (Save Ends) taking from 4e saving throws.

Acid Splash... Not really all that scary. I may boost the acid splash and make it usable 1/encounter... The Flower needs to be refilled. This can be a mundane item instead of a magic item. Perhaps refillable with alchemist acid... Hmm

Shocking Grasp is nice. It will also do 1d2 + 1/2 Strength mod damage due to the spike in it.

necroon
2014-06-04, 11:25 AM
The Red Jester (Pathfinder) (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/bestiary/monster-listings/undead/red-jester) comes to mind - It throws playing cards (Ala deck of many things effects), is crazy, and causes uncontrollable laughter.
Perhaps you could refluff something there for your needs? It's "Mace of Merriment" seems like its on the right track for your laughing gas and I certainly wouldn't want to read the Joker's thoughts!

SpawnOfMorbo
2014-06-04, 05:46 PM
The Red Jester (Pathfinder) (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/bestiary/monster-listings/undead/red-jester) comes to mind - It throws playing cards (Ala deck of many things effects), is crazy, and causes uncontrollable laughter.
Perhaps you could refluff something there for your needs? It's "Mace of Merriment" seems like its on the right track for your laughing gas and I certainly wouldn't want to read the Joker's thoughts!

That looks great, I'll turn it into Lich... And add a few items...

I wasn't aware this guy existed, thanks!

necroon
2014-06-05, 07:28 PM
That looks great, I'll turn it into Lich... And add a few items...

I wasn't aware this guy existed, thanks!

My pleasure.

Also of interest may be the "Monsters as class levels" adaption of the Grey Jester (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showsinglepost.php?p=7988336&postcount=92) (3.5). Not sure of the level of polish on that one.

gr8artist
2014-06-05, 11:40 PM
I threw the red jester at my team once.
Tread. Carefully.
Forcing people to take randomized effects from a deck of many things is probably the cruelest and most sadistic thing a DM can do.
Also of note is the "Deadly Dealer" feat, which lets you throw cards a-la "Gambit"-style if you use the arcane strike feat.