PDA

View Full Version : New shapechange spell

Hyrael
2007-02-19, 11:10 PM
Here's a little something that I feel is missing from spell lists: a low-level disguise spell that is hard to see through. Its also good for allowing monstrous or otherwise unpopular PCs to pass unnoticed among humanoid society, while still maintaining their identities.

Form Alteration
Transmutation
Level: bard 1, druid 2, sorc/wiz 1
Components: V, S
Casting Time: 3 rounds
Range: touch
Target:creature Touched
Duration: 2 hours/level
Save: will negates
SR: yes
You take on the physical characteristics of another species. the selected creature can be any humanoid with HD less than or equal to your caster level. You gain the gross physical traits of the creature, including size, natural attacks, and alternative forms of movement, but not extraordinary or supernatural abilities. You gain the racial ability modifiersof the new form while retaining your own, but this cannot increase or decrease a singel ability score more than 2, and the modifiers do not stack (a halfling taking on the shape of an elf has total raical ability modifiers of -2 str, +2 dex, and -2 con).
The miscelaneous Physical traits of your new form are fixed, and cannot be changed. These features are the same as your own, though changed to be more or less within the norm for your new race, ( a lizardfolk taking the form of a human is still oddly strong and tough-looking, has little or no hair, oddly sharp teeth, and eyes with a slightly reptilian cast to them. A halfling taking human form still has curly hair and is a bit short, ect)

Any opinions or advice? Is the spell at too low a level? Is there a mechanical or ballance issue?

jjpickar
2007-02-19, 11:17 PM
Alter Self doesn't work for you?

Hyrael
2007-02-20, 07:48 AM
Well, it doesnt acheive the goal I'm going for. I wanted a spell that, for example, would allow a human to spend a day in a goblinoid city without being killed, and wouldnt get found out if someone brushed up against him. Alter Self only lasts 10 min/level. So, this spell trades duration for disguise potential, making the features of your form fixed (the new form looks like "you," just a different race)