PDA

View Full Version : Iron Mage

Xian
2007-02-20, 12:59 PM
So after re-reading Origins of the PCs last night, I was inspired to create a message board game based on one of the story elements: the Iron Mage competition.

The rules are pretty simple:
*A spell material component will be given
*Players will then create 2 spells, 1 low-level and 1 epic-level, using the given component. The idea is that the spells will be related to an existing spell; for example, if the material component were colored sand, then the resulting spells would show relation to the spell Color Spray. Make sense?
*Resulting spells do not, however, have to be of the same school as any inspiration spells. Continuing with the colored sand example, even though Color Spray is from the Illusion school, the resulting spells can be from any of them and are not restricted to being illusions.
*As long as the required material is used, everything else about the created spells are to the player's discretion, including any additional components if they so desire.
*Top submissions will then be put into a poll (once I figure out how to make one) and readers will vote on which one they like best.
*After a predetermined deadline, the player with the most votes gets to run the next round, choosing the materials, deadlines and top submissions.

Remember, this isn't "cantripize/epicize that spell", it's about exercising creativity and trying to come up with something new and interesting. So let's get started.

Today's Component:
MERCURY!

Seen in spells like Polymorph Any Object and Floating Disk.

You have until Monday to make your spells. Good luck!

Copacetic
2007-02-21, 07:02 PM
Component:Silver.
Spells: Lead to copper and lead to gold

Alarra
2007-02-21, 07:11 PM
This doesn't really seem like a SMBG, but more something that would go in homebrew.

Korias
2007-02-21, 09:35 PM
Hmmm....
For the Mercury:
Thermo-Scale
Sorc/wiz 0, Druid 0, Ranger 0, Cleric 0
Components: M, S
Casting Time: instant
Range: Close (25ft +5/2 lvls)

Through the casting of this spell, you are able to automaticaly know the temperature of the area around you, and may alter that temperature by 5 +/- Degrees.

For the Epic.

Thermal Retribution
Sorc/Wiz 9
Components: V, S, M,
Range: Close
Casting Time: 1 Round
Target: 1 Creature
Duration: Instant
Saving Throw: Will Partial
SR?: yes.
DR?: Yes

You are able to essentialy increase or decrease the body temperature of a creature by 100 Degrees Kelvin. If Decreasing, the target takes Caster Level d8 (To a maximum of 20d8) cold damage, Will save half. If Increasing, the target takes Caster level d8 (To a maximum of 20d8) heat damage, will save half.
Any creature with the Cold Subtype when Afflicted with the Decrease in temperature will be healed by the damage amount. A Creature with the Fire Subtype will be healed by the damage amount.
A Creature with the Cold subtype afflicted with fire damage takes 1.5x the normal damage. A Creature with the Fire subytpe afflicted with the Cold damage takes 1.5x the normal damage.

Myatar_Panwar
2007-02-21, 11:49 PM
Hmmmm I like the idea of the Iron mage, but I'm not sure I can think of spells right now (kinda tired ) maybe tomorrow.

Edit: this also seems like it would be some sort of contest, like the monster competition. Except it might just be called the Spell Competition (or Iron Mage, whatever). I'm sure people would be more motivated to make interesting spells if they know they can "win".

Icewalker
2007-02-22, 01:23 AM
You said you have until monday to make the spells. You mean monday february 26th, correct? I may still post my ideas?
Also, you said that the idea is that the spell would be similar to another spell. Is this required?

(^Frigs: please post a spell, not an idea for a spell, and the component must be mercury, not silver)

Korias
2007-02-24, 08:50 PM
I take it I win? Or are we still waiting?

Icewalker
2007-02-25, 02:04 AM
guess you win. I didn't finish my epic spell anyways.

Korias
2007-02-25, 10:09 AM
Well, You still have time!
I want to have SOME competiton!

Xian
2007-02-26, 01:55 PM
Well, since you were the only entry, yeah, I guess you win. Congrats Korias!

Icewalker
2007-02-26, 04:31 PM
Don't worry Korias, I'll compete in the next one.

just to put in my ideas:
Quicksilver weapon, allows your weapon to overcome most DR
and
Transmute: allows you to turn something into a metal. people into statues, lead into gold, a pile of dung into a unpleasantly shaped pile of platinum...your weapon into adamantine

Korias
2007-02-27, 08:01 PM
Your New Vital Spell Component is...

Peaches!

See "SureLife" and "Wall of Bones"