PDA

View Full Version : Master of turning [PrC]

knightsaline
2007-02-20, 10:37 PM
Let it be known that this PrC is horribly broken in the fact that it does a lot of things that are epic before its time

Master of turning, a 5 level PrC

The fleshtide was flowing towards Delasp. He had no possible chance of stopping them from eating his headmeats. He gave a final prayer to his god, Syreth, before trying to take as many of the fleshtide down with him. Then, It came. Delasp could not see the figure, shrouded in what seemed to be a holy light. The figure held up his sword and yelled "IN THE NAME OF PELOR, I BANISH YOU TO NERULLS REALM!". The figures light flared, then, the fleshtide started crumbling. those that did not not were cut down by Delasp and the mysterious figure. "who are you?" Delasp asked the figure, still shining with the inner radiance. "my name is not important. I hold the position of pelors left hand. I am needed elsewhere" with that comment, the figure disappeared

Master of turning
Requirements
BAB: +5
Skills: Knowledge (religion) 8 ranks,
Spellcasting: must be able to cast 3rd level divine spells
Special: must be able to turn undead
Special: must have turned or destroyed 100 undead using the turn undead ability
Feats: improved turning

Class skills: as cleric
Saves:
Will: good
Ref: bad
Fort: good
BAB: 1:1

1st level: Katana proficency, Relentless power of the sun, Extra turning
2nd level: Spellcasting +1, Spontaneous sun
3rd level: Channel Turning, Spontanous turning, Extra turning
4th level: FE undead, Spellcasting +1
5th level: Undeads bane, Beacon of hope, Extra turning

Levels in this class stack with any levels in any class that grants turning (cleric/paladin)

Katana proficeincy
The sword that is neither long, nor great, but falls in between is best for hunting the fleshtide. Book of lights, acolyte section
At first level, the Master of turning gains EWP bastard sword.

Relentless power of the sun
The fleshtide fear only two things, their master and the sun. use the power of the sun to banish the fleshtide back to the domain of endless sleep
At first level, the MoT gains the Sun domain as a replacement for one of their domains. If the MoT does not have domains, she gains the sun domain and all its benefits. if the MoT already has the sun domain, this feature has no effect.

Extra turning
The more times you can impose Pelors will on the fleshtide, the less fleshtide there is to fight. Book of lights, acolyte section
At 1st level and every odd numbered level, the MoT gains Extra turning as a bonus feat

Spellcasting.
Remember, never forget about the divine powers pelor grants you to destroy the fleshtide. They may save your life one day.
At every even numbered level, the MoT gains a caster level in their divine casting class.

Spontanous Sun
When the time is right, pelor grants you the ability to turn divine power granted for spells into power of the sun. use it well. Book of lights
Starting at 2nd level, the MoT may spontanously convert a spell into a spell from the Sun domain. The MoT may not convert spells from the sun domain list (its just silly) or from another domain.

Channel turning
Focus the power of Pelors energy into the sword that is between long and great and the fleshtide will fall before your blade. Book of lights, Bishop section.
At 3rd level, the MoT may focus a turning attempt into his bastard sword, becoming an undead-bane weapon for 3 rounds + Wisdom modifier.

Spontanous turning
The power of Pelor is powerful and malleable, it can be turned from a spell into an imposition of pelors will upon the fleshtide. Book of lights, Bishop section
at 3rd level, the MoT may turn a spell into a turn attempt. this ability is a swift action and must be used by the next round. the spell may not be from the sun domain.

Favored enemy (undead)
It is the duty of pelors clergy to study the fleshtide and find ways to bring it down. Book of lights, Bishop section
At 4th level, the MoT gains the Favored enemy ability, as the Rangers class ability. The favored enemy subject is Undead

Undeads Bane
The Undead fear those who channel the power of pelor. They especially fear the Hands of Pelor. Book of lights, Hands section
at 5th level, the reputation of the MoT has become legend among sentient undead that they fear you. at will, you can activate sanctuary upon yourself and others you touch. If you encounter an Undead with an intelligence of 10 or higher, they cower helplessly for 1d2 turns upon seeing you or your Beacon of hope. A will save nullifies the cowering. Your katana is considered to be an undead-bane weapon

Beacon of hope.
The Hands of Pelor inspire those who have lost hope among the fleshtide. you are forever known as a Beacon of Hope.
You become immune to fear and terror effects resulting from Undead. you gain a +4 to fear effects from other sources. allies within 20 feet of you gain +4 to fear effects.

Yes, I know its broken horribly.It was one of my first creations before I knew about CoDzilla . Its designed for a world under a class 4 zombie attack. (A class 4 Zombie attack means that the whole world is overrun with zombies and other undead, called the fleshtide) Pelor seems to be the right god for this class, you can use any other sun god if you like, just make sure the 5000 XP goes to The-son-of-the-right-hand rather than some other god (I'm looking at you Sedrea!)

Harkone
2007-02-20, 10:53 PM
I like the class, but it seems powerful. First, does the character really need to get ExWP: Bastard Sword as a bonus feat? Why no just let the channel power work with whatever weapon the character normally uses (or, perhaps, the deity's favored weapon; isn't Pelor's a mace or something)?

knightsaline
2007-02-20, 11:17 PM
Bastard swords = Katanas in D&D. in most zombie movies, a katana is used and is seen as the best zombie killer. In the book "the zombie survival guide", they say that the best zombie killer is either the shaolin spade or the katana. since D&D does not have a shaolin spade, the katana works perfectly.

The pelor thing is because Pelor grants the sun domain (as well as Ehlonna, but she doesn't seem to be the type to train her clergy to hunt undead). As I said in the original post, you can substitute any sun god for pelor.

ishi
2007-02-20, 11:30 PM
Nitpicks: First, you may want to state that your MoT levels stack with Cleric/Paladin levels for the power of your turnings. Secondly, what are it's saves exactly? You have "good" and "best", but there are only 2 standard progressions.

Roderick_BR
2007-02-21, 06:23 AM
I don't think it's too broken. It's a very specific creature-hunting class. Not unlike Foe Hunter (Ranger PrC) or Hunter of the Dead (Paladin/Cleric PrC).
Only +2 Spell levels. Not too bad for a BAB of 1:1.
Katana proficency. Kinda weird, really, but if it's campaing specific, it works alright, unless you face skeletons.
Relentless power of the sun: Replace/Bonus Domain. Lots of PrCs do that.
Extra turning: Just a common feat to complement the spell casting.
Spontaneous sun: An interesting power. Like Spontaneously casting Cure/Harm spells.
Channel Turning: It's like that Divine feat that makes you deal +2d6 holy damage against undead. No big deal. Most high-level undead can easily pass the Fort 14 DC.
Spontanous turning: This is kinda odd, but not overpowered. It can basically be use a spell to activate the Channel Turning power.
FE undead: Not bad. Just don't forget that you can't deal precision damage against undead, but you can still gain the attack bonus and skill bonuses.
Undeads bane: This one seens powerful. If the undead fails the Will save,he can't act? Or he just runs away, as if he were turned? The epic handbook has an Automatic Turning feat, that would be more powerful. Everytime you meet an undead, you automatically turns him with a 10 (+ charisma mod.) result. This one is just a frightening presence against undead.
Beacon of hope: The paladin's Aura of Courage is a lot more powerful.

magic8BALL
2007-02-21, 06:31 AM
You may want to change the requirements from "must have turned or destroyed 100 undead using the turn undead ability" to somthing like "must have turned or destroyed 200 Hit Dice of undead using the turn undead ability", or something more apropriate, lest someone who just scares heaps of skeletons outshine the fellow who has rid the land of all liches.

Matthew
2007-02-21, 02:07 PM
Bastard swords = Katanas in D&D. in most zombie movies, a katana is used and is seen as the best zombie killer. In the book "the zombie survival guide", they say that the best zombie killer is either the shaolin spade or the katana. since D&D does not have a shaolin spade, the katana works perfectly.

Sure, but why Exotic Weapon Proficiency (Bastard Sword)? Wouldn't Martial Weapon Proficiency (Bastard Sword) be sufficient?

cferejohn
2007-02-21, 03:00 PM
I'm not sure what zombie movies you are watching, but I don't seem to remember many katanas being used to take care of zombies. Usually shotguns to the head, but of course that's not going to fly in a DnD setting. I'll certainly accept it as a flavor thing.

The "turn or destroy 100 undead" thing strikes me as a recordkeeping headache that's probably just going to be handwaved when the other requirements are met ("yeah, I guess you've probably turned/destroyed 100 undead by now")...

knightsaline
2007-02-22, 06:07 PM
The turn or destroy 100 undead thing is purely flavour, like Dragonlances knight of the rose's "must have a knightly sponsor" prereq. If a PC was going for this class, they would keep track of how many undead they have sent back to deaths realm. with a little tweaking, you could use the frame of this class to apply to any monster, up to Mr T him/her/itself

There is no such thing as MWP Bastard sword. The rules state that you can wield a bastard sword 2 handed as a martial weapon or 1 handed as an exotic weapon. since the rules also state that a cleric
"must have one hand free to brandish their holy symbol" in order to turn.
I don't really watch zombie movies, but the book "the zombie survival handbook" says that the two best melee weapons for fighting the undead are a katana or a shaolin spade.I guess you could use a crossbow with exploding bolts to replicate a shotgun.