PDA

View Full Version : Dementrivia (Gauging Interest)

Silkenfist
2007-02-21, 03:24 PM
Hello and Welcome to my newest game idea. Between Werewolf, Heal/Hurts and my current games, it is time for a game with a bit more sophistication and artistry. It is time for Dementrivia.

What’s this about? Basically, Dementrivia is structured like a quiz. I give you a question, you try to find an answer and at the end you are rewarded with points based on the quality of your answers. However, contrary to Jeopardy & Co. there are two differences in Dementrivia. Firstly, all points are given by the public. Secondly, the goal is not to find the correct answer. The goal is to find an answer that is most fun and entertaining.

So to make it clear: If I ask you, what the national anthem of the USA is, “The Star Spangled Banner” is correct, but unlikely to score points. “Yellow Submarine”, “You are a pirate” or “Badgerbadgerbadger” are wrong but more entertaining and thus shall be awarded the points. And there are surely more hilarious answers to the question.

Now, how does this game work?

1) Each round starts with one question and a given deadline to send in your answers. Use that time wisely to come up with a witty answer and send it to me.
2) At the end of the deadline, I will gather all answers and put them together in one post.
3) You look at the answers and consider which one is the most hilarious, outstanding, entertaining, etc. You send a reply to the thread, naming your favourite
4) At a preset time, I will end the quasi-poll, reveal the players of the answers and calculate the total number of votes. After that, points are distributed:
a) Each player receives 1 point for each vote their answer got.
b) Each player who voted receives 2 point.
c) The answer with most votes receives points equal to half its votes (rounded up) in addition. If there are shared winners, all of them receive the bonus.
5) The game continues with a new question until a player has accumulated 101 points. This ends the season and that player is considered the winner of it.
a) If several players exceed 101 points simultaneously, the winner is the one who has more points at the end of the critical round. If they are tied for that, there shall be a tiebreaker round with only them as participants.

The game needs just a minimum amount of rules. However, I would like to enforce these:

1) Voting for your own answer is forbidden and will simply be ignored.
2) I will not prohibit you explicitly from stating which answer is yours. However, in the interest of fairness, I urge you strongly to send me your answers and not state which one is yours directly. Metagaming is possible and as slim as the chance is, I’d like to reduce the chance of temptations/suspicions/self-doubts
3) You may debate and advocate answers, but advocating your own answer is strictly forbidden.
4) Forming “I vote for you, you vote for me”-alliances severely violates the spirit of the game and will result in exclusion from the season, when detected.

And that’s about it. The first season should start in a few days, feel free to ask questions or make suggestions until then.

Castaras
2007-02-21, 03:26 PM
Sign me up. Should be a lot of fun...

Deckmaster
2007-02-21, 03:30 PM
I can't wait! I'm in!

Zar Peter
2007-02-21, 03:33 PM
I know the game from Skiing weekend evenings and sometimes we really lay on the floor laughing. I will participate!

Tormsskull
2007-02-21, 03:40 PM
Kinda sounds like Balderdash. Should be a lot of fun, sign me up.

Silkenfist
2007-02-21, 03:45 PM
Yep. Basically, it is Balderdash. I know about 6 different names for the game concept, so I chose to give it a name myself.

Oh, and you don't need to sign up. You can just hop in at any time. I am not taking signups, just gauging interest and gathering additional ideas.

Eldritch Knight
2007-02-21, 03:46 PM
I'm interested. Count me in

Rumda
2007-02-21, 03:53 PM
very interesting,

Gnome Barbarian
2007-02-21, 04:45 PM
Count me in silkenfist games are the greatest

Beymar Emiralk
2007-02-21, 04:52 PM
I'm interested and in all fairness, I am also the players known as Graklok and Supagoof, but will be playing this game as Beymar and Emiralk, as for coming up with funny stuff, these two make the cake.

evnafets
2007-02-21, 05:01 PM
What the heck. I already waste so much time here. Why not a little more?

Death, your friend the Reaper
2007-02-21, 05:04 PM
Sign Death up, the rules will follow.

David94
2007-02-21, 09:56 PM
I'm in. (8, 9, 10. Stupid 10 letter rule.)

Raistlin1040
2007-02-21, 10:21 PM
Sweet! I'm in

InaVegt
2007-02-22, 12:20 AM
In .

purple gelatinous cube o' Doom
2007-02-22, 01:13 PM
what the hey, I'll give it a go.

David94
2007-02-22, 08:34 PM
There was a game I heard of like this, except for a quiz, it was an acronym game. They give you a set of letters (ABCD) and you have to make words out of them. (A_____ B_____ C_____ D_____) Then people vote. The winner gains points equal to the number of letters in the acronym. (In this case, 4 points) The first person to send theirs gets 2 bonus points. Everyone has a certain amount of time to send theirs in. First to 30 wins. Silkenfist, you're free to use that idea.

DarkLightDragon
2007-02-22, 08:39 PM
Oooooh... IN! IN! FEAR MY AWESOMENESS!

Khantalas
2007-02-22, 08:41 PM
I am always in. See tha guy outside? You can tell he's not me? How? Because I'm in, that's why.

Silkenfist
2007-02-22, 08:42 PM
David: I like it, but that would be a different game entirely.

DLD, Khantalas: There is already one round in progress. Look here (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=35676) and send me your answers.

David94
2007-02-22, 10:22 PM
I'm just saying about starting a new thread using my suggestion, not putting it in this thread.