PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Urskan (bearfolk)

moghue
2014-06-11, 01:29 AM
Urskans

General description: The Urskan are a proud people of the terran empire. The ferocity of their bear kin is not lost on they themselves. Keeping in the great white north for a millennia it seemed, the races of aura were introduced to this race of men at the end of an ice age. Fleeing south as their lands decayed into nothing, these snow white skinned bears found new homes in the northern areas of Terra, only now being revealed after the Ice age. The Bears would eventually articulate into Terran society with humans.

Urskans in times of old were shamans and druids of great power. Shamans could combine natural magic with their steel to smash mountains to shape in time that would make dwarves appalled. Glacial expanses could become great halls in the matter of months. Druids in the north use magic to create weapons where steel is scarce. Mining, while not unheard of, is hard to do on a literal plane of snow, that could possible be hundreds of feet thick. Urskans focus heavily on lineage. You would never see an Urskan defy his father, not out of fear, but out of respect. Few things could lead to this defiance, the easiest among them being war.

Urskans might enjoy war rather than detest it. Not the fighting, Urskans want to earn their place among their fathers in the heavens and believe the only way to do so is to prove their worth in battle. Thats not to say they are hasty in war, but you might expect them to swing the first blade. The Urskans favoured destroying and then enslaving the Orcs in times of old, favouring them for their ferocity and ability to keep going, even when their wounds should have them dead.

Physical Description

Urskans nowadays may not reflect their ancient polar white fured predecessors. Urskans are very much walking bears. They stand about a head taller than the average human, with wide shoulders that come down into a smaller legs. Urskans are physically built for war, carrying weapons in one hand that an average man might have trouble with in both.

Society: In modern society the Urskan have blended rather seamlessly into human society. From holding positions on high government councils, to being farmers in the vast terran fields, Urskans are normal to humans now. Urskans remaining on the glacial expanse have adopted more feral tendencies, many prefer solitude to pack drifting. Urskans remaining in the north would seem monstrous to those that live on Terra now. Those harnessing natural magic in the north are more like hermits hiding their living quarters with behind walls of ice they can open on a whim. Terra in modern times does not appreciate magic use so those few Urskan that practice nature magic openly are often imprisoned and forcibly trained for the terran army. But some manage to hide their talent most normally living in solitude to keep away from the all seeing eyes of the terran government.

Relations: Urskans of Terra are brethren to humans, obviously trusting them as their own, at least in most regards. Urskans appreciate dwarven craftsmanship, knowing that the key to winning battle does not rely entirely on physical might, but on the weapons behind it. Urskans do not like elves, though true their cultures were similar in the days of old, to much has changed now, and the elves haven't. Obviously being a race primarily on Terra, they absolutely shun half-races, and enslave Orcs and Half-Orcs.

Alignment and Religion: Urskans quick wit and love of battle does not make them any less than good. They may not tend to be lawfully good compared to others but good none the less. They say that when an Urskan makes a friend, he is his friend until he dies. Proving worth to an Urskan could set you for life in the protection department.

Adventurers: Urskans adventure for their love of battle. They would rather crack rogue orc skulls than take a stealthy root. After all, they still believe they earn a place in heaven by proving worth in combat.

Racial traits:
Ability Score racial traits: Urskan characters gain a +2 to strength, +2 to Constitution, and -2 to intelligence. Urskan are physically strong, but quick to decisions, and quick to anger.
Size: Urskans are Medium creatures and thus receive no bonuses or penalties due to their size.
Type: Urskans are Humanoids with the bear subtype.
Base Speed: Urskan have a base speed of 40 feet.
Powerful Build: The physical stature of half-giants lets them function in many ways as if they were one size category larger. Whenever a half-giant is subject to a size modifier or special size modifier for a Combat Maneuver Bonus or Combat Maneuver Defense (such as during grapple checks, bull rush attempts, and trip attempts), the half-giant is treated as one size larger if doing so is advantageous to him. A half-giant is also considered to be one size larger when determining whether a creature's special attacks based on size (such as grab or swallow whole) can affect him. A half-giant can use weapons designed for a creature one size larger without penalty. However, his space and reach remain those of a creature of his actual size. The benefts of this racial trait stack with the effects of powers, abilities, and spells that change the subject's size category.
Natural Armor: Urskan have tough hides, and gain +2 natural armor, this bonus stacks with other bonuses to natural armor.
Bite: Members of this race gain a natural bite attack, dealing damage equivalent to that of a creature two size categories lower than normal for their size 1d4 for Medium. The bite is a primary attack, or a secondary attack if the creature is wielding manufactured weapons.
Scent: Members of this race gain the scent ability.
Languages: Urskan begin play speaking Common and Urskan, Urskan with a high intelligence score may choose from other non secret languages.

Admiral Squish
2014-06-12, 01:56 AM
Well, I'm always pro-bearfolk, and I like the fluff parts. That said, the mechanical part needs work. What you have here does not look like a walking bear to me. It looks like a big dude with teeth.

First, you should fix your wording to say 'urskan' instead of 'member of this race' or 'half-giant'.
Secondly, I would say take them up a step into the advanced race territory. Up the strength bonus, make them fully large, give them a pair of claws... Depending on if these are bears that stand up or bears with locking knees, I would say lower the base speed to 20 but give them an option to run on all fours at 40.

nonsi
2014-06-12, 08:28 AM
Well, I'm always pro-bearfolk, and I like the fluff parts. That said, the mechanical part needs work. What you have here does not look like a walking bear to me. It looks like a big dude with teeth.

First, you should fix your wording to say 'urskan' instead of 'member of this race' or 'half-giant'.
Secondly, I would say take them up a step into the advanced race territory. Up the strength bonus, make them fully large, give them a pair of claws... Depending on if these are bears that stand up or bears with locking knees, I would say lower the base speed to 20 but give them an option to run on all fours at 40.

That...

plus, what's the LA ?

Admiral Squish
2014-06-12, 01:25 PM
That...

plus, what's the LA ?

Well, PF doesn't have LA, they have different tiers of races, basic, advanced, and monstrous, determined by how many race points were used in the creation of it.

The current critter is 11 plus however much powerful build is, so apparently it's already an advanced race. The proposed version would be... *math* 19, making it the high end of an advanced race. He would have to drop something (probably scent) to put the strength above +4.

Thealtruistorc
2014-06-13, 10:43 PM
Well, PF doesn't have LA, they have different tiers of races, basic, advanced, and monstrous, determined by how many race points were used in the creation of it.

The current critter is 11 plus however much powerful build is, so apparently it's already an advanced race. The proposed version would be... *math* 19, making it the high end of an advanced race. He would have to drop something (probably scent) to put the strength above +4.

It was mentioned on the Dreamscarred Press Forums that powerful build is about 4-6 RP. Total, it puts you on par with Aasimar in terms of RP.

Also, since self-control is tied to wisdom, your flavor text seems to imply a wisdom rather than intelligence penalty. I would change it to "ursakin are strong and durable, but tend to be slow learners.