PDA

View Full Version : New Consumable Items: Template-Inducers

Madara
2014-06-14, 05:59 PM
Von Stark the Crafty Goblin had struggled for a few years with the idea that he would only live for roughly thirty years total and that humanoids were very low on the food chain. In an attempt to grant himself more time and give humanoids a fighting chance, he experimented with infusing the characteristics of more dominant creatures into humanoids. He himself eventually became Undead, as he found that the easiest way to "upgrade" himself, but not wanting that to be the only solution, Von Stark designed consumable magic items that grant certain traits from other creatures for a short duration.

Crafting Template-Inducers

In order to craft a Template-Inducer, one must make a successful Craft(Alchemy) check, Creation of a Template-Inducer varies in cost, with the cost to create listed in each Template-Inducer's description. Creation of a Template-Inducer takes an hour.

Wereblood
Usually contained in a small flask, this liquid, when consumed, bestows the Scent special quality for 1 Hour, a successful Control Shape check(DC 20) doubles this duration. In addition, the user of this liquid gains DR 5/Silver and a +4 Enhancement bonus to Strength for 1 minute upon consumption.
Craft(Alchemy) DC 24; Price 350 gp; Weight .5 lb.

Decayed Draught
This rather flat drink is almost lacking all color, not clear like water, but pale like sand. Upon consumption, the user is imbued with the toughness of the undead, gaining Cold Resistance 5 and Darkvision 60 for 1 Hour, with a successful Control Shape check(DC 15) doubling this duration. In addition, the user takes no damage from negative energy, but cannot be healed by positive energy effects. The user also gains a +2 Enhancement bonus to Fortitude saves for 1 minute.
Craft(Alchemy) DC 19; Price 200 gp; Weight .5 lb.

Corrupt
Almost as if trying to escape, the liquid in this container whips around the sides of the vial, snapping and crackling. A humanoid who consumes this liquid become almost fiendish, gaining Fire Resistance 10 for 1 Hour, with a successful Control Shape check(DC 20) doubling this duration. In addition, the user's natural attacks and unarmed strikes deal an extra 1d6 fire damage for 1 minute.
Craft(Alchemy) DC 24; Price 500 gp; Weight .5 lb.

Outerspawn
This oozing green ball of goo can be swallowed to grant the unpredictability of an aberration to a humanoid. Upon consumption, the user gains immunity to critical hits and [Mind-Affecting] spells for 1 hour, as their body twitches and shifts around their organs and internal parts. A user must make a successful Control Shape check(DC 24) or take 1d4 points of intelligence and charisma damage upon consumption.
Craft(Alchemy) DC 30; Price 600 gp; Weight .5 lb.

Greenblooded
This green powder smells of fresh flowers. Any humanoid who consumes this powder gains fast healing 2 while in sunlight for 1 hour. In addition, their natural armor increases by 2 for 1 minute.
Craft(Alchemy) DC 20; Price 350 gp; Weight .5 lb.

Draconic
This brew shares the appearance of a liquid metal, usually reflecting the type of dragon that the tonic is imitating. By pouring this liquid on their skin, the user of this brew takes no damage from falling for 1 hour. A successful Control Shape check(DC 20) can double this duration. In addition, the user of this item gains a breath weapon for 1 minute. The breath weapon is either a 20ft. cone or 30ft. line, chosen at the creation of this item. The breath weapon deals 2d4 damage, with a reflex save for half(DC= Creator's ranks in Craft(Alchemy) +10). The creator of this item chooses a damage type(Acid, Fire, Cold, Lightning) and that is the damage type for the breath weapon.
Craft(Alchemy) DC 30; Price 400 gp; Weight 2.0 lb.

jiriku
2014-06-14, 10:08 PM
Very nice! I especially like the long-duration/short duration pairings; they make the item more flexible by giving it two contrasting uses. I might price them 20-30% lower to encourage players to acquire and use them more readily.

One critique. The decayed drought (did you mean draught?) says "the user takes no damage from negative energy". It's unclear using this wording whether you are immune to [negative energy damage], such as hit point damage delivered by a cause light wounds spell, or immune to damage from any [negative energy] source, which would also include ability damage and drain from undead, negative levels.

Madara
2014-06-14, 10:40 PM
Very nice! I especially like the long-duration/short duration pairings; they make the item more flexible by giving it two contrasting uses. I might price them 20-30% lower to encourage players to acquire and use them more readily.

One critique. The decayed drought (did you mean draught?) says "the user takes no damage from negative energy". It's unclear using this wording whether you are immune to [negative energy damage], such as hit point damage delivered by a cause light wounds spell, or immune to damage from any [negative energy] source, which would also include ability damage and drain from undead, negative levels.

I'm always uncertain on how to price items, and consumables are even harder to consider, I'll make sure to lower them a bit.

as for negative energy, its suppose to be the former, "you are immune to negative energy damage" as in hit point damage. Although the ability damage/ drain is interesting, but too strong for the type of item I'm trying to create.

Thealtruistorc
2014-06-14, 11:29 PM
This is a really interesting concept, and I would like to see it explored further. Here are some I can think of:
Gain several properties of a dragon (wings, scales, breath weapon, etc.)
Celestial version of the Fiendish Inducer
Perhaps an item that grants additional arms

Overall, I like it.

Coidzor
2014-06-15, 01:41 AM
Now there's an idea. I like it.

Madara
2014-06-15, 11:49 AM
This is a really interesting concept, and I would like to see it explored further. Here are some I can think of:
Gain several properties of a dragon (wings, scales, breath weapon, etc.)
Celestial version of the Fiendish Inducer
Perhaps an item that grants additional arms

Overall, I like it.

Cool ideas. I wanted to test out the concept, and then expand. Looks like its a hit, so I'll hop to it. :smallsmile:

Hanuman
2014-06-15, 05:53 PM
This concept has a lot of potential.

First of all, item effect, cost and utility comparisons can be drawn from Shax.
http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?148101-3-x-Shax-s-Indispensible-Haversack-%28Equipment-Handbook%29

What I'd like to see is a simple chart.

Time:
1 Minute, 1 Hour, Permanent

Effect:
2 Feat Equivalent, +Mutations or Teratomorphisms (Draken) (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?240717-The-better-man-There-is-no-such-thing-base-class) +# LA Template

Side Effects (Optional Cost Reduction/Crafting Failure):
Ability Damage, Addiction, Weaknesses, Ect.

This way the user could then use the table to calculate the effect->cost of a potion/devil fruit being made?

qazzquimby
2014-06-15, 06:44 PM
Could a formula based off LA be made to convert any template? It would likely have its problems, but it would make a lot of content fast.

Hanuman
2014-06-16, 02:20 AM
Exactly, I agree.