PDA

View Full Version : Class buy-off...

Iituem
2007-02-22, 08:17 PM
Are there any rules out there for Class buy-off?

I'm thinking similar to LA buyoff for gnolls etc but rather than getting rid of an LA, having a character reach an experience amount where she could advance a level instead lose XP equal to (present level x 1000), keeping her at exactly the same level and allowing her to exchange one of the levels in her existing classes for another that she qualifies for. This likely puts her behind the other classes out there, but the different in ECL will allow her to potentially recoup the XP loss somewhat. Multiclassing rules apply, so unless the new class happens to be her favoured class she may suffer if the levels are out of stack with each other.

Mind you, there's possibly a good balance reason not to allow this, but it might be useful someday.

crazedloon
2007-02-22, 08:24 PM
Are there any rules out there for Class buy-off?

I'm thinking similar to LA buyoff for gnolls etc but rather than getting rid of an LA, having a character reach an experience amount where she could advance a level instead lose XP equal to (present level x 1000), keeping her at exactly the same level and allowing her to exchange one of the levels in her existing classes for another that she qualifies for. This likely puts her behind the other classes out there, but the different in ECL will allow her to potentially recoup the XP loss somewhat. Multiclassing rules apply, so unless the new class happens to be her favoured class she may suffer if the levels are out of stack with each other.

Mind you, there's possibly a good balance reason not to allow this, but it might be useful someday.

Sounds like you are talking about retraining your character. This is covered in PHBII and normaly involves a quest to retrain you in the new class you want. It also covers retraining skills/stats/feats/race/spell or power/class feature retraining. I.E. if you need it to play a character you can retrain it. Just look at the PHBII :smallwink:

Now buying it off I doubt but your DM may alow it as a house rule