PDA

View Full Version : Focus on the task [Feat](needs help)

Glooble Glistencrist
2007-02-22, 11:14 PM
Focus on the task
Your skills are more effective when you devote your full attention to them.
Prerequisites: Concentration 5 ranks or Skill focus (Concentration)
Benefit: At any time, when using a skill you could normally take a ten on, you may instead focus your mind on the skill. Focusing your mind is a full round action that provokes an attack of opportunity. Roll a concentration check, DC (?). If you pass, you become focused. While focused, you can pay attention to nothing but the task at hand, and are therefore considered flat-footed. You also take a -4 to spot and listen checks while focused. However, you can add half your ranks in Concentration to your skill check (in addition to whatever ranks you have in the skill being used.)

First problem - I have no idea what the DC for the check should be. I'm also very unsure about the mechanics in general - it seems either too good or not good enough. The flavor I'm going for is simply that ranks in concentration should somehow be able to help a rogue tie a better knot or pick a lock more effectively rather than only being useful to spellcasters. I'm totally open to different suggestions for how that could be implemented. Or how to make this feat worth taking. It's up to you.

Assasinater
2007-02-23, 04:53 AM
I've thought about this too and I think that it shouldn't be a feat, but an option that every character has access to. It really makes a lot of sense(though the DC should be decided, as you said).

cferejohn
2007-02-23, 06:00 AM
It would be cool as a non-caster application for concentration. The biggest problem is rogues. Being the skill monkeys they are, well, let's just say you should start putting tougher locks everywhere...

Actually, another cool thing would be to allow fighters to do a similar thing when aiming (i.e. sniping from cover, not in combat).