PDA

View Full Version : Who exactly will want the Starter Set?

Alefiend
2014-06-18, 03:56 AM
This is the one thing I can't seem to get a straight answer for. I've read or watched most of the Q&A that's available, and I understand the overall flow between Starter/Basic, PHB, and DMG. What I don't have is an explicit answer on whether I (a highly experienced gamer) will need a copy of the Starter Set or a printout of the Basic Rules, or if all of that information will also be contined in the Players' Handbook.

Despite my failure here, I'm sure that by the second or third response, there will be a link to something that answers this question completely. It may even be something I read or watched and then forgot. Be kind to an old man whose mind is going.

Kurald Galain
2014-06-18, 04:07 AM
whether I (a highly experienced gamer) will need a copy of the Starter Set

You're an experienced gamer. The starter set is for starting gamers. So no, you don't need that. The starting point for anyone who's already familiar with D&D is the Basic Rules, which are a free downloadable PDF. If you decide you like those then you can get the PHB1, which contains everything in the PDF plus about 200 pages more material.

eastmabl
2014-06-18, 07:49 AM
This is the one thing I can't seem to get a straight answer for. I've read or watched most of the Q&A that's available, and I understand the overall flow between Starter/Basic, PHB, and DMG. What I don't have is an explicit answer on whether I (a highly experienced gamer) will need a copy of the Starter Set or a printout of the Basic Rules, or if all of that information will also be contined in the Players' Handbook.

Despite my failure here, I'm sure that by the second or third response, there will be a link to something that answers this question completely. It may even be something I read or watched and then forgot. Be kind to an old man whose mind is going.

I am an experienced gamer who only tangentially paid attention to the play testing for Next. The Starter Set gives me (and my fellow gamers) the opportunity to play a pre-made adventure with some pre-gen characters so we get the hang of the system.

pwykersotz
2014-06-18, 07:53 AM
I am an experienced gamer who only tangentially paid attention to the play testing for Next. The Starter Set gives me (and my fellow gamers) the opportunity to play a pre-made adventure with some pre-gen characters so we get the hang of the system.

Pretty much this. Plus the kitsch amuses me.

Person_Man
2014-06-18, 10:57 AM
I won't be buying it. But for what it's worth, the Castle Ravenloft et al 4Eish board games (which a friend of mine owns) were pretty fun, and the dungeon tiles were useful. It's not really a "true D&D" experience to me for a variety of reasons, but it's fun for a few hours once in a while. I'm guessing that the Starter Set will be a similar board game-like experience. (And if they're smart, it will include plenty of pre-made adventures, pre-gen characters, maps, dice, miniatures, dungeon tiles, etc, since the whole allure of such a boxed set is that you can just open it up and start playing within 5 minutes).

Alefiend
2014-06-18, 11:22 AM
... get the PHB1, which contains everything in the PDF plus about 200 pages more material.

This right here is what I was looking for. Thanks.

BritishBill
2014-06-22, 03:43 PM
It might be good for players looking to test out the waters of 5e instead of going all in and getting fifty dollar books.

Kurald Galain
2014-06-22, 03:54 PM
It might be good for players looking to test out the waters of 5e instead of going all in and getting fifty dollar books.

Or they could get the Basic set, which is free and contains about three times as much information as the starter set... :smallbiggrin:

SpawnOfMorbo
2014-06-22, 04:16 PM
Me!

Because I want to get some new people into d&d who have no clue how to do anything with d&d... They have been wanting to get into it but never could find a DM that was willing to teach.

I can throw the starter set at them and then after they got that down allow them to make their own PCs.

Plus I want the adventure path, I want to see if WotC have their heads in their asses with regard to adventures.

pwykersotz
2014-06-22, 04:20 PM
Or they could get the Basic set, which is free and contains about three times as much information as the starter set... :smallbiggrin:

The 64 page adventure is a plus though, and since they're taking a queue from Pathfinder and trying to make adventures more rich, that could be worth a few bucks. The extra advantage, to those that learn this way, is with the characters pregenerated it makes the system that much simpler to start with. Players can ease into play a little better.

Edit: Swordsage'd (is that a thing on the 5e boards?)

SpawnOfMorbo
2014-06-22, 04:33 PM
The 64 page adventure is a plus though, and since they're taking a queue from Pathfinder and trying to make adventures more rich, that could be worth a few bucks. The extra advantage, to those that learn this way, is with the characters pregenerated it makes the system that much simpler to start with. Players can ease into play a little better.

Edit: Swordsage'd (is that a thing on the 5e boards?)

The Swordsage is so much of a ninja that yes, yes it is :smallbiggrin:

Kinda like how Thief from 8bit theater stole his upgrade from his future self, he is just that good.

Ballbo Big'Uns
2014-06-22, 04:55 PM
I'm buying it primarily for the adventure, and also if any of my non-gamer friends are interested, I can pass out the pregens and get a game going in 15 minutes.

Kurald Galain
2014-06-22, 05:05 PM
Ok, buying it for the pregens makes sense.

Buying it for the adventure... well, given WOTC's reputation with those, I think I'll wait until I see some reviews of the adventure first.

SpawnOfMorbo
2014-06-22, 05:22 PM
Ok, buying it for the pregens makes sense.

Buying it for the adventure... well, given WOTC's reputation with those, I think I'll wait until I see some reviews of the adventure first.

Well if fans that aren't in the business of blogging and such don't buy and review it I don't think you can get a good review of the game.

There are a lot of people on the internet that may want to blow smoke up WotC's ass to get on their good side (not all but I would bet quite a few). So just waiting for reviews from them may be a bad idea. Plus, say like amazin, people normally only review on things they hate, so you may get a biased result that way.

If I didn't buy and try 4e out for myself I probably would be one of those people that never played it but bash it for being XYZ.

Not that this all will happen, but it could. Plus 12 bucks ain't to bad for the price.

obryn
2014-06-22, 08:34 PM
I had it pre-ordered ($13? pshaw) but cancelled when I saw that the rules - which are really what I wanted out of it - are getting released for free.

And after a whole lot of discussion here, I pre-ordered the PHB so I don't sound completely ignorant when I'm inevitably talking about the game in the future.

Secret Bard
2014-06-22, 09:59 PM
Wouldn't having stats on a few monsters be another benefits to buying the starter set? I don't think the pdf will have any monsters until the PHB is out, I could be wrong though.

I personally will be buying the starter set for the same reason as others: to introduce new players to the game.

SpawnOfMorbo
2014-06-22, 10:15 PM
And after a whole lot of discussion here, I pre-ordered the PHB so I don't sound completely ignorant when I'm inevitably talking about the game in the future.

Well if you don't want to do things the way everyone else does it then get the hell out!:smallbiggrin::smalltongue:

(Obviously I don't really mean that but it is rare to see people who want to be informed before talking about something *cough4ecough*)

obryn
2014-06-22, 10:29 PM
Well if you don't want to do things the way everyone else does it then get the hell out!:smallbiggrin::smalltongue:

(Obviously I don't really mean that but it is rare to see people who want to be informed before talking about something *cough4ecough*)
Hahahaha... Well, also it might just turn out pretty good?

SpawnOfMorbo
2014-06-22, 10:41 PM
Hahahaha... Well, also it might just turn out pretty good?

Yup, I think it will be good enough to jump into. Every edition has problems and I don't see this ones being anymore heinous than the others.