PDA

View Full Version : D&D 3.x Other Feat/weapon fixes +another fighter fix [3.5] [peach]

Teapot Salty
2014-06-18, 11:10 PM
Hey guys, here are a couple feat/weapon fixes and a fighter fix:

Fighter: You gain a fighter bonus feat at every level. Underwhelming? Yew, but, I'm constantly working on new fighter only feats, I have a couple in the new feats section, any help with making more is appreciated.

Bastard Sword: When wielding in one hand, if you have the exotic weapon proficiency, is treated as if you where using it in two hands.

Halberd: Reach weapon.

Shields:

Shields do not have a armor check penalty unless otherwise stated.

Buckler: +1 to ac, hand if free. Attacks against you have chance to miss, if you are permitted your dex bonus to ac, equal to you base attack bonus attack bonus.

Light shields: +2 ac, -4 penalty to checks involving that hand. Attacks against you have a chance to miss, if you are permitted your dex bonus to ac, equal to your base attack bonus +10

Heavy shields: +4 ac, hand not free. Attacks against you have a chance to miss if you are permitted your dex bonus to ac, equal to your base attack bonus +20.

Tower shields: +6 to ac, hand not free, -2 penalty to all attack rolls, and a -3 armor check penalty. Attacks against you have a chance to miss, if you are permitted your dex bonus to ac, equal to your base attack bonus +30.

Feat for tower shields:

Improved tower shield proficiency
Prerequisite: Proficient with tower shields.
You take no penalty to attack rolls, and do not suffer an armor check penalty from tower shields.

Feats:

Weapon focus: In addition to previous benefits, additional +1 bonus to attack rolls per 5 fighter levels, same for greater weapon focus.

Weapon Specialization: In addition to previous bonuses, additional +2 bonus to damage rolls per 5 fighter levels, same for greater weapon focus.

Toughness: +3 hp per hit dice, cannot be taken multiple times.

New feats:

Block
Prerequisite Fighter level the 10th.
once per round, as an immediate action, you may attempt to block an opponents attack. To do so, when an opponent is making an attack, make an opposed attack roll, if your roll is equal to or greater than your targets attack roll, the attack is blocked, and has no effect. You may chose to do this with a shield instead of a weapon, gaining a bonus to the roll equal to: the shield enhancement bonus+the shield ac bonus+the the extra miss chance from the shield (for a tower shield +30)

Spellbreaker
Prerequisite Fighter level the 1st.
You gain spell resistance 10+fighter level, this spell resistance can be subdued and resumed on any action.
SpecialYou can take this feat multiple times, every time beyond the first, your spell resistance increases by 5.

Uncanny Strength
Prerequisite Fighter level the 3rd.
You gain +2 strength.

Soldiers Skin
PrerequisiteFighter level the 1st
You gain damage reduction equal to your fighter level.

I know it's poorly written and I'm sorry about that. Regardless, what do you guys think? Thanks, and as always, go nuts.

BasketOfPuppies
2014-06-18, 11:28 PM
Let's see, level 20 Human Fighter with 2 Flaws... That's 30 feats. Take Spellbreaker each time and your SR is 175, if I did my math right.

toapat
2014-06-19, 12:29 AM
a fighter fix:

You made a mistake:

Your fighter Fix is not a crashing moon of deletion being ridden by a warblade.

Otherwise:

Weapon Changes: Dont make sense, dont change anything in a relevant way

Shield Changes: Interception roll scales way too easily for no opportunity cost, especially once animated shields come online.

Tower Shield proficiency should reduce its penalties by 1/3rd your BAB rounded down, Not as an additional feat.

Feats:

Block: See why your shield changes are bad.

Spellbreaker: Shouldnt stack

Uncanny strength: No. Epic only gives you 1 point per feat. earlier is just no.

Soldier Skin: too powerful early, irrelevant later.

Andion Isurand
2014-06-19, 12:38 AM
I like the scaling effect you're going for in some of these feats.

Although, perhaps instead of scaling them based on fighter class levels, you could scale them according to the number of feats you have from the list of fighter bonus feats? (and give the fighter a bonus feat at every class level... along with a d12 HD)

That way, any character will get some scaling for investing in enough combat feats from the list of fighter bonus feats, but of course, the fighter will have the most to gain.

I have a sampling of this idea (http://magerune.blogspot.com/2014/04/fighter-feat-scaling.html) that I've been dabbling with recently, that you could look at for reference.

jiriku
2014-06-19, 08:15 AM
My thoughts on how to fix the fighter are pretty well known, but I'm always interested in looking at feats.

Reactions:
Some of what you wrote is little hard to understand. If you have the time, it would be nice to write everything out in complete sentences and format it properly. It's a kindness to your readers.

Scaling feats! Yes! Hail brother, I see you too have seen the light of making feats level up. This is a good trend, and one you want to continue.

Overall impact: not much, yet. The problem with addressing fighter feats is that in order to create broad support for the class, you need to create/rebuild/improve a lot of them. And of course, there's more to the fighter than just feats.

In general:
A feat should always remain useful as you level up.
Never grant an untyped bonus.
Don't worry about overshadowing epic feats. Most of the martially focused epic feats are lamesauce trash that are bad to take at any level.

toapat
2014-06-19, 08:52 AM
Most of the martially focused epic feats are lamesauce trash that are bad to take at any level.

Improved Combat Reflexes

jiriku
2014-06-19, 09:36 PM
Or Additional Magic Item Space: not only did you just blow an epic feat to avoid paying +50% stacking fee on the cheaper of the two enchantments, but also you look like an idiot who can't dress himself properly. ("Hey Bob, why are you wearing two helmets at once?" "....Don't ask.")