PDA

View Full Version : Independence Day (ish) D&D Next

SpawnOfMorbo
2014-06-20, 02:16 PM
Sometime in the month of July I will be running an Independence Day session for my group.

Now I'm not anti-British but the British will be the antagonist, and I'm looking at the recent playtest for a big monster that I can bring down to about level 3 (I'll do this work myself). But what I wanted to ask the playground what monster should be the big boss fight at the end?

I don't want to spoil the plot in case someone I know is actually on this site (I only know of 2 people so far...) but the game won't paint Great Britain in a bad way, my father was born there (air space) after all haha.

But I thought it could be fun to have Thomas Jefferson, Ben Franklin, George Washington, and the others to be in a D&D game.

I'm going over the list of monsters right now and I'm not sure which to pick, I want something iconic but nothing that would make the British seem like LOLEVIL types.

Any suggestions?

Oh, muskets will replace crossbows and the world around will have magic but it isn't tapped into all that well except for the PCs.

Later I might make a Salem D&D adventure where a few witches, sorcerers, and wizards (plus a couple druids) where killed and the party needs to find out why (hey I need to change some things to make it interesting :P )

Any help will be much appreciated!

tedthehunter
2014-06-20, 02:48 PM
What a killer idea!

You could have a young dragon that's a hybrid of red, white, and blue, with a head for each! :smalltongue:

Or the enemy commander could fly into battle on a Roc, or a pegasus!

Or he could turn into a werewolf before the final showdown!

Perhaps a stone golem? Maybe the British use it as a secret weapon?

Or a giant of some kind!

Maybe a vampire?

Basically anything that's not a traditionally evil D&D creature comes to mind. Hope you think of something cool!

Xefas
2014-06-20, 10:36 PM
Any suggestions?

A colossal Tea Elemental, fought on a cartoonishly massive wooden loading platform overlooking Boston harbor. Unfortunately, it can only be harmed by weapons made from a material that your players don't seem to have. Fortunately, the smartest PC notices that the platform they're fighting on is only supported by a set of four metal chains protected by a few weak minions, if at all. The Tea Elemental, while large and powerful, is slow, and has large but telegraphed area attacks.

Fight off a couple of minion waves, break the chains, dump the Tea into the harbor (where it disperses to nothing) and have yourselves a party. :smallcool:

SpawnOfMorbo
2014-06-20, 11:35 PM
A colossal Tea Elemental, fought on a cartoonishly massive wooden loading platform overlooking Boston harbor. Unfortunately, it can only be harmed by weapons made from a material that your players don't seem to have. Fortunately, the smartest PC notices that the platform they're fighting on is only supported by a set of four metal chains protected by a few weak minions, if at all. The Tea Elemental, while large and powerful, is slow, and has large but telegraphed area attacks.

Fight off a couple of minion waves, break the chains, dump the Tea into the harbor (where it disperses to nothing) and have yourselves a party. :smallcool:

And we have a winner! Tea Elemental it is!

I'm going to have to craft something up this weekend, but i really like the Tea Elemental idea! I'm going to look into the water and earth elementals to make a new one.

rlc
2014-06-21, 04:10 PM
Yeah, that sounds better than my idea of a giant man eating bowler hat with bad teeth

eastmabl
2014-06-23, 09:23 AM
Sometime in the month of July I will be running an Independence Day session for my group.

Now I'm not anti-British but the British will be the antagonist, and I'm looking at the recent playtest for a big monster that I can bring down to about level 3 (I'll do this work myself). But what I wanted to ask the playground what monster should be the big boss fight at the end?

I don't want to spoil the plot in case someone I know is actually on this site (I only know of 2 people so far...) but the game won't paint Great Britain in a bad way, my father was born there (air space) after all haha.

But I thought it could be fun to have Thomas Jefferson, Ben Franklin, George Washington, and the others to be in a D&D game.

I'm going over the list of monsters right now and I'm not sure which to pick, I want something iconic but nothing that would make the British seem like LOLEVIL types.

Any suggestions?

Oh, muskets will replace crossbows and the world around will have magic but it isn't tapped into all that well except for the PCs.

Later I might make a Salem D&D adventure where a few witches, sorcerers, and wizards (plus a couple druids) where killed and the party needs to find out why (hey I need to change some things to make it interesting :P )

Any help will be much appreciated!

Let's not forget to make all of ze minions Hessians.

Daremonai
2014-06-23, 11:38 AM
There needs to be a pair of dire sheep with class levels - an illusion-specced wizard/sorceror and a full-plate tanky-type.

They are, of course, the Ewe in Colour and the Ewe in Armour respectively.

unwise
2014-06-23, 11:32 PM
This this, a thousand times this!

http://cdn3.nerdapproved.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/02/Bioshock-patriot-figure-2.jpg?874fb4

Mecha-Patriots! You could even have them on a mission to rescue Washington and find he has been turned into this and sent against his own troops. Heck of a Boss Battle.

I strongly suggest a battle with an Ironclad too. Ironclads are awesome and you can play up the fact it is decimating your troops and the PCs have to get onboard and take the thing over.

The PCs get to take over the Ironclad and unleash the fearsome firepower on their enemies and break a blockade or blow open the gates of a fort across the Delaware river.

You could also allude to something darker, the PCs start sensing a terrible evil thriving on all the killing. They find out that the most firebrand leaders of both sides are really Outsiders, feeding upon the death and destruction as they drag on the war indefinetly.

Joe the Rat
2014-06-24, 07:44 AM
And we have a winner! Tea Elemental it is!

I'm going to have to craft something up this weekend, but i really like the Tea Elemental idea! I'm going to look into the water and earth elementals to make a new one.
Awww, all I had was a Chimera with a Lion and a Unicorn head (And a Dragon, but nobody understands a word it's saying).

Tea elemental is awesome.

Are you using all Humans, or will there be demihumans? Because I totally see John Adams as a Halfling.