PDA

View Full Version : Thog's name?

Professor Tanhauser
2007-02-25, 04:17 AM
I was wondering where rich came up with thog's name from?

Is it a variant on "thug", or an anagram for "goth"?

Nightmarenny
2007-02-25, 04:41 AM
Here's the thing prof. I'm not sure if this is another on of your annoying head games or if you really don't get it. So I'll just go ahead and walk away.

onasuma
2007-02-25, 04:45 AM
I always thourght it was like thug.

Green Bean
2007-02-25, 05:02 AM
After a quick Google search for thog, I found a comic book character named Thog, but there's no resemblance (he's some sort of demon lord).

Demented
2007-02-25, 05:09 AM
thog thog thog thog thog thog thog thog thog thog thog thog thog thog thog thog thog thog thog thog thog thog thog thog thog thog thog thog thog thog thog thog thog thog thog thog thog thog thog thog thog thog thog thog thog thog thog thog thog thog thog thog thog thog thog thog

...I have no idea.
Maybe it's just completely random?
thoog, thawg, thoge, sog, dog, bog, mog....

Cobra_Ikari
2007-02-25, 05:16 AM
Thog's a pretty stereotypical dumb barbarian name, in my opinion.

Nightmarenny
2007-02-25, 05:39 AM
Thog's a pretty stereotypical dumb barbarian name, in my opinion.
Ding ding winner

Luklan
2007-02-25, 07:39 AM
It's sterotypical orcish/"stereotypical dumb barbarian", as Ikari said ;)

Doesn't stop him from being awesome >>

Captain van der Decken
2007-02-25, 07:50 AM
I've only heard it before as a stereotypical caveman/neanderthal name.

Snake-Aes
2007-02-25, 08:06 AM
Remind me of the difference again?

Luklan
2007-02-25, 08:15 AM
I swear the longest orcish name I've ever heard was 'grugor' >> Says a lot about what orcs are like when naming things

Closet_Skeleton
2007-02-25, 10:08 AM
I swear the longest orcish name I've ever heard was 'grugor' >> Says a lot about what orcs are like when naming things

Ghazghkull Mag Uruk Thraka mean anything to you?

Orcs like long names as much as the other humanoid.

PirateMonk
2007-02-25, 10:16 AM

Also, have you read Grunts? I haven't, but my brother did. It has a brief section on orcish names, saying how they don't really have a monosyllabic language, and some names have as many as two, three, or even four syllables. Examples:

Barashkukor, Ashnak, Lugashaldim, Ungarit.

MrBean13
2007-02-25, 02:04 PM
This "thog" reminds me of some kind of soundeffect, like the one when you use an axe to cut trees. And thog uses an axe. So, that's my interpretation.

TheOtherMC
2007-02-25, 02:06 PM
:thog: It was thog's father's name

brian c
2007-02-25, 02:06 PM

LotR orcs have slightly longer names; Grishnakh is my favorite orc name of all time. (also one of the longer 2 syllable words i can think of)

mikeejimbo
2007-02-25, 02:08 PM
I've only heard it before as a stereotypical caveman/neanderthal name.

Yeah, that was my thought. I suppose it fits for someone who is perceived as being on the lower end of the evolution scale, though.

Or is Thog indeed the epitome of evolution?

BisectedBrioche
2007-02-25, 03:02 PM
Maybe its something to do with a "thoggy" mind? Still it just seems to be a stereotypical dumb fighter type name.

PePe QuiCoSE
2007-02-25, 03:45 PM
i recall reading (and i think it was the giant itself) about the evil opposite, that thog's name ryhme (sp?) with 'log', while roy ryhme with 'boy'

Querzis
2007-02-25, 04:03 PM

Yup but PC who play orc dont want them to have a long names and they dont want them to have an intelligence or charisma higher then 5.

They dont even want them to be anything else then a barbarian or a fighther. When was the last time you heard about an half-orc bard, an orc druid or or an half-orc sorcerer? I played the first two...and the half-orc sorcerer sounds like a great idea.

Reptilius
2007-02-25, 04:16 PM
Almost every orc or half-orc my players have played had names ending in "-gor." The most recent was Turgor. But I can't blame them. They're just lowly hack-n-slashers with no nuance or sense of character. Last time I tried to encourage role-playing, they threw Doritos at me to get back to fighting. And yes, I know I'm off topic, I just needed a place for my annoyied ramble. Or rant. Rantble.

Maerad of Pellinor
2007-02-25, 04:21 PM
:thog: It was thog's father's name

No, no! It was Thog's father's favorite puppy's name.

Demented
2007-02-25, 04:26 PM
It's thognasius Panmour the Third, son of the president of Someplace Else!

TheOtherMC
2007-02-25, 04:33 PM

:thog: thog's father had to put thog down after thog got rabies.......*sniff, sniff, sob*

wait.......or was that Old Yeller?

BisectedBrioche
2007-02-25, 04:34 PM

Or maybe it was the name of thog's father who was also his favorite puppy's puppy father, which he also named after himself?

Leather_Book_Wizard
2007-02-25, 04:56 PM
Or maybe it was the name of Thog's father who was also his favorite puppy's puppy father, which he also named after himself?

You capitalized thog's name! Every time someone capitalizes thog a puppy dies.:smallfrown:

TheOtherMC
2007-02-25, 04:57 PM
You capitalized thog's name! Every time someone capitalizes thog a puppy dies.:smallfrown:

Well then I guess it wasnt rabies after all....

Lizard Lord
2007-02-25, 05:16 PM

The longest I have heard of is a tie between Baddrazhek and Koratcghuk.

I think most orcs are named while their parents are chocking on something.

mikeejimbo
2007-02-25, 05:37 PM
They dont even want them to be anything else then a barbarian or a fighther. When was the last time you heard about an half-orc bard...

I played a half-orc bard once! It was in an April Fool's quest, but it was still one of my favorite characters, ever.

BisectedBrioche
2007-02-26, 07:36 AM

So did whoever I quoted....

Carteeg_Struve
2007-02-26, 08:37 AM
Wait. So it's thog Junior?

Finwe
2007-02-26, 06:43 PM
Many far side comics featured a cave-man who was named Thog. It seems to be a generic cave-man/barbarian name.

tigra8
2007-02-26, 06:48 PM

dont forget that an icecream cone falls! :smallfrown: :smallfrown: :smallfrown:

Silverlocke980
2007-02-26, 07:26 PM
Generic barbarian name.

As in, "naming him Einstein would have just been wrong- funny, but wrong."

Good question, though!

PirateMonk
2007-02-26, 07:28 PM
Many far side comics featured a cave-man who was named Thog. It seems to be a generic cave-man/barbarian name.

Once again, capitalization of thog. Puppy killer!

RedHillian
2007-02-26, 09:44 PM
:thog: thog know thog-name. thog-name thog.

(also, in the list of smilies - the name hero of this thread is capitalised. Evidently, The Giant supports Ts)

Professor Tanhauser
2007-02-26, 09:48 PM

Yeah I used to be into 40K too. He was an ork who had a long name because he was like the supreme leader, regular orks had names like thrug bullneck, grotsnik, etc.

BTW, in "Escape from new york" (See it, but avoid escape from L.A.) ox baker played a character named Thag.

Demented
2007-02-26, 10:37 PM

He didn't capitalize thog's name, he capitalized Thog's name. There's a difference. No puppies have been slain this day. Not by he, at least.

Lizard Lord
2007-02-27, 01:32 AM
I played a half-orc bard once! It was in an April Fool's quest, but it was still one of my favorite characters, ever.

I have a half orc paladin.

Chancelikely
2007-02-27, 02:23 AM
I was DMing a starter campaign for my cousins (age 13 and 11) and their dad, who taught me to play 1e but didn't know the 3e rules. My DMPC was a half-orc barbarian with as many stereotypical traits as possible, named Grognash.

And I'm a member of the half-orc bard club (emphasis on 'club'; he was basically Animal from the Muppets, loud and impatient).

Mr Teufel
2007-02-27, 02:33 AM
Well then I guess it wasnt rabies after all....
ROFL! :smallbiggrin:

I have a half orc paladin.

I, too. Krolgird Skullspatter was his name.

David Langford, an sf/fantasy writer, reviewer, and social reporter, puts out a newsletter called Ansible (http://news.ansible.co.uk/).

In it, and grouped on his website he has "Thog's Masterclass (http://thog.org/)", where he quotes poorly written or awkward passages from genre fiction.

Dectilon
2007-02-27, 07:07 AM
I don't think thog is for thug. Never once have I seen him with a strangling cord : P

Also, low intelligence doesn't necessarily mean short name, since he most likely got it from someone else who's int might be higher. Also, it almost seems like low intelligence here works like low sanity in CoC. It's not that you're really stupid; you just see things differently : )

Last_resort_33
2007-02-27, 10:21 AM
Also, have you read Grunts? I haven't, but my brother did. It has a brief section on orcish names, saying how they don't really have a monosyllabic language, and some names have as many as two, three, or even four syllables. Examples:

Barashkukor, Ashnak, Lugashaldim, Ungarit.

That was one BAD book..... graphic orc on halfling action melted my brain more than the Belkar, V & Miko thread....

also it wasn't too well written... but my god was it disturbing

Wardog
2007-02-27, 03:44 PM
Yup but PC who play orc dont want them to have a long names and they dont want them to have an intelligence or charisma higher then 5.

They dont even want them to be anything else then a barbarian or a fighther. When was the last time you heard about an half-orc bard, an orc druid or or an half-orc sorcerer? I played the first two...and the half-orc sorcerer sounds like a great idea.

(Half)-Orc Rangers have always seemed like an interesting concept to me.

Calamity
2007-02-27, 03:53 PM

Ahem, even Thog sometimes calls himself Thog. (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0341.html) As do many other characters of the OotS world.

I always thought that Thog was a play on words with Fog and that he has a 'foggy' mind (If you get what I mean)

vbushido
2007-02-27, 03:57 PM
My home campaign has a half-orc bard named Walter Kovacs. His human father named him.

And a friend in Living Arcanis has a half-orc wizard with an INT of 10 and a STR of 18... and a orcish double axe. Same friend also had a Living City barbarian named Ogg.

As for me, I personally honored Rich Burlew, Michael Sitts (Iron Sid Muttonfang), Jason Wu (Ogg), and Andrew Hauptman (Olga) simultaneously by creating:

thogg Muttonfang, half-orc fighter, STR 20, DEX 14, CON 12, INT 6, WIS 10, CHA 10 Feats: Weapon Focus (glaive)

-----
What would Cthulhu do? (http://nancybuttons.com/catalog.cgi?o_custom=&o_selected=&ids=02747&chk2747=1&action=Button%20Baggie)

Orzel
2007-02-27, 04:48 PM
Orzel's guide to Barbarian Name Creation:

1) Choose 1 or 2 consonants
2) Add an "o" or "u"
3) Add a "g" or "d"

jud smash your face.

Cobra_Ikari
2007-02-27, 06:04 PM
My home campaign has a half-orc bard named Walter Kovacs. His human father named him.

And a friend in Living Arcanis has a half-orc wizard with an INT of 10 and a STR of 18... and a orcish double axe. Same friend also had a Living City barbarian named Ogg.

As for me, I personally honored Rich Burlew, Michael Sitts (Iron Sid Muttonfang), Jason Wu (Ogg), and Andrew Hauptman (Olga) simultaneously by creating:

thogg Muttonfang, half-orc fighter, STR 20, DEX 14, CON 12, INT 6, WIS 10, CHA 10 Feats: Weapon Focus (glaive)

-----
What would Cthulhu do? (http://nancybuttons.com/catalog.cgi?o_custom=&o_selected=&ids=02747&chk2747=1&action=Button%20Baggie)

Yay for reference! ...*hugs Kovacs*...my favorite! :)

Flying Elephant
2007-02-27, 06:08 PM

Hey, I had an orc who had 14 int, 11 wis and 10 cha.