PDA

View Full Version : Is this ok?

Marcotic
2007-02-25, 07:53 PM
I was fumbling around with rules, and I decided to make the sorceror slightly better, or at least add somthing unique to the class other then spells. If you think this is unnecisary, I tend to agree, that said, I wanted to add a few things to make the class worth sticking to through the end (no PrC's). I just want to see if you guys think these changes are too good. I think these all fit the feel of the class, are quite useful, but hardly game breaking, but as a human I can be wrong.

Arcane Inspiration

A sorcerer can once per day, and as a full round action cast a spell that isn't on his list of spells known, (it must still be in the sorcerer/wizard spell list) the spell must be of 2 levels lower then his highest level spell. Said spell would take up a spell per day of that level. (so a sorcerer casting fire ball with this method would still use a spell slot of 3rd level)

He gains this ability at 4th level with 4 uses per day. He can do it 3 times more per day every 4 levels. Doing this requires a sorceror level check of 15 plus spell level to pull off or it the sorcerer receives 1d6+1 damage per spell level as magical energy ravages the body.

Metamagic Inspiration

At 5th level the sorcerer can attempt to use a metamagic feat that he doesn't know. As a full round action he can put any Meta magic feet on any spell, as though he knew it. He must succeed a sorcerer level check dc= 15 plus spell level, or the spell fizzles dealing the dc in magical damage (if his silencing a fireball the spell level is 4 because 3(spell level) plus 1 (metamagic level increaser) This ability can’t be combined with the Arcane inspiration ability, but does use a use of the Arcane inspiration ability.

Practiced Metamagic

At 11th level the sorcerer gains the ability to cast metamagic spells without increasing their casting time. This ability can be used with metamagic inspiration, thus reducing the casting time accordingly. Using this ability uses an arcane inspiration use.

Note- If any spell cast would drain from the Sorcerors pool of Arcane Inspiration twice, it takes up 2 uses. (so an Arcane inspiration combined with a practiced metemagic use would burn 2 uses of Arcane Inspiration. (AI? Didn't even realise it)

thanks for input, I'm gonna revamp and submit soon.

Marcotic
2007-02-25, 07:54 PM
I know you guys have stuff, but, I dunno, I guess i just want to keep it on mine for now.

PaladinBoy
2007-02-25, 09:12 PM
I like the first two. They fit with the theme of the sorcerer very nicely, and don't seem too overpowered. Might want to add a per day limit to the second, though.

The third I'm not so sure about, because it doesn't really deal with the problem of spontaneous metamagic, that being that it's better because you can decide what you need on the spot. I might permit it, but I'd definitely want to give it some hard thought. The per day limit...... hmmm....... okay, I like that one too. Never mind!:smallbiggrin:

crazedloon
2007-02-25, 09:20 PM
I like the first two but really the last one isn’t all that powerful. A sorcerer can take a level substitution at level 1 from the PHBII and lose his familiar to do that exact thing.

Marcotic
2007-02-25, 09:41 PM
Crazedloon... good point, but In this instance I would disallow that substitution, (thus allowing them to keep there Familar) it ain't much, but it is somthing to look foward too. I edited it a bit to be clear of its true power.

crazedloon
2007-02-25, 09:46 PM
Hmm well then if you DM out the ability to take that sub level then yes that is an ok ability :smalltongue: but i think you should drop the restriction/day as its realy not that broken.

I believe however you should make is so you cant lower the time it takes to cast a Metamagic Inspiration spell with that ability as spending more tome to BS a metamagic feat makes sense.

Marcotic
2007-02-25, 10:00 PM
Im going to edit it, make some streamlining changes.

Marcotic
2007-02-25, 10:40 PM
Sorcerer

Arcane Inspiration Pool

This is a pool that a sorcerer draws his special abilities from. He gains this pool at 4th level, and it is composed of 5 points. Every 4-sorcerer level thereafter he gains 5 more points.
He gains this ability at 1st level with 5 uses per day. He can do it 5 times more per day every 5 levels.

Practiced Metamagic

At 1st level the sorcerer gains the ability to cast metamagic spells without increasing their casting time. Using this ability uses 1 from the AI pool.

Inspired Metamagic

At 5th level the sorcerer can attempt to use a metamagic feat that he doesn't know. As a full round action he can put any Metamagic feet on any spell, as though he knew it. He must succeed a sorcerer level check dc= 15 plus spell level, or the spell fizzles dealing 1d4+1 per level of increase, in magical damage. This ability costs him 1 point per spell level increase.
(For example, if his silencing a fireball the spell level is 4 because it is a 3rd spell level plus 1 metamagic level increaser, so the dc would be 19, further it would cost him 1 point of AI because Silent spell increases the level by.) If used with practiced metamagic, the cost of AI points is added togeter.

Inspired Spells

At 15th level, a sorcerer can, as a full round action, cast a spell that isn't on his list of spells known, (it must still be in the sorcerer/wizard spell list) the spell must be of 2 levels lower then his highest level spell. Said spell would take up a spell per day of that level. (So a sorcerer casting fireball with this method would still use a spell slot of 3rd level) He must make a Sorcerer level check = to 25 plus the spells level, or are dealt 2d4+1 per spell level damage as magical energy ravages his body. Using ability depletes his AI pool by 2 per spell level. This ability cannot be combined with the Inspired Metamagic or Practiced Metamagic abilities.

celtois
2007-02-26, 05:45 PM
neat this looks interesting

alchemy.freak
2007-02-27, 05:24 PM
interesting, but in a nice way. i rather like them