PDA

View Full Version : This is what i did to fighters' tell me if its too much please

Marcotic
2007-02-25, 09:31 PM
Fighter.
(all of this is in addition to regular class features)
D10 Hit dice.
Skills 2 per level.
Add listen, tumble, diplomacy and knowledge (geography) to class skills.

At level one you get to choose one of these 2 options

A. Skirmisher
at level 5 and every 5 levels there after you gain a +5 to your light armor & load speed
at level 10 and every 10 levels there after you gain a +5 to your medium armor & load speed.
At 7th level you can travel across terrain that would normally slow your movement with no penalty, so long as these movements don’t require a swim or climb check.
At 11th level, you can tumble in medium armor and or while carrying a medium load, (with a -10 penalty). For every fighter level above 11th, reduce this penalty by one.

B. Guardian
At level 5 and every 5 levels there after, you gain bonus hit points.
At level 5 you gain 5 extra.
At level 10 you gain 10 extra.
At level 15 you gain 20 extra.
At level 20 you gain 40 extra.
At 7th level you may substitute your dexterity for your constitution when it comes to AC bonuses.

At 11th level, he gains the ability to apply his constitution modifier to touch attacks.

Both fighter type gets

Tactics
At 9th level you gain an insight bonus to hit to any opponent you have seen in combat within the last hour.
At level 9 it is 1.
At level 13 it is 2.
At level 17 it is 3.
At level 19 it is 4
As a standard action, you can explain the weakness that you found in your enemy’s defense to any/all allies that can hear and understand you, granting them this same insight bonus.

At 9th level, you gain a +2 on opposed trip, disarm, and bull rush, and feint, checks. You also gain the ability to attack an opponent immediately (with the same base attack bonus) after they fail one of these checks against you.

At 11th level, and every odd fighter level there after, this bonus increases by one. At 15th level, The fighter may consider himself one size category higher when it comes to being denied disarm, grapple bull rush and trip attempts due to size.

Starting at level 9 All fighters can ignore Ability score requirements for feats, so long as they are taken while currently in the fighter class.
All fighters can use their Fighter level plus charisma modifier for their feint checks, instead of their bluff modifier.

A fighter can retrain himself in his weapon focus weapon. This takes 1 hour of dedicated retraining, and includes retraining with weapon focus, weapon specialization, greater weapon focus and Greater weapon specialization. IF this makes any feats or class abilities illegal (if those feats were required on a specific weapon for entry into a PrC), they are held dormant until the fighter retrains himself with the required weapon.

A fighter automatically gains the weapon focus tree up to greater weapon specialization, as soon as his fighter levels allow it.

At level 11 a fighter who is weilding a weapon he has weapon specialzation with gains a +4 bonus to will saves this bonus increases to 6 at level 12

Korias
2007-02-25, 10:04 PM
Alright. Lets start this off.

Diplomacy is a No. Fighters FIGHT. Fighters do not sit and talk. Fighters beat the crap out of their enemies, not talk them to death.
Skirmisher.
+5 To AC? Every 5 Levels? Totaling at +20 to AC?

Skirmisher's Tumbling Checks in Armor: A tad bit TOO powerful. make it so that it only applies when falling.

Guardian
Just Extra HP?
Ouch.
While the DR is nice, its not good enough for a LEVEL 11 ability.

Tactics:
Seems...Rough. Define "Seen in Combat". As in, they watch him for one round? They view all of his arena matches? Clear this up.

Spreading the Bonus: Does this stack/Cancel a bards ability?
I would alter this a bit. Make it so that if you have fighter levels, you get the full bonus, but if not, you get HALF the bonus.

The Bonus to Feints, Disarms, Ect.: This seems balanced.
Ability Score Requirements: Hmm... Usualy, the req is 13. Doesnt make sense at level 11, but Ok...

I would also like to point out, though, that you leave the fighter with 8 dead levels. For levels 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8, he gets NOTHING, according to this plan.
Thats 8 levels of Worthlessness.

The thing with fighters was the bonus feats. Essentialy, a "Feat" was a combat tactic. Two weapon fighting, improved trip, weapon focus, weapons specialization, ect. These are the staples of the fighter class. Without the bonus feats, he has NOTHING to customize him.You give the fighters in this build TWO options. Skirmisher or Guardian. Two viable combat routes, but hardly the only two. The thing with the ORIGINAL Fighter was that it had you be able to CHOOSE the feats and skills that you wanted your character to excell at. This does not give that allure of the true fighter.

Its not too much, its too LITTLE. Expand it. Add more options. Give stuff for levels 1-8, and keep trying.

The_Snark
2007-02-25, 10:16 PM
Alright. Lets start this off.

Diplomacy is a No. Fighters FIGHT. Fighters do not sit and talk. Fighters beat the crap out of their enemies, not talk them to death.
Skirmisher.
+5 To AC? Every 5 Levels? Totaling at +20 to AC?

Skirmisher's Tumbling Checks in Armor: A tad bit TOO powerful. make it so that it only applies when falling.

+5 feet to speed while wearing light or lighter armor, not AC. That's what i thought when I read it, anyway. And making Tumble checks... how is that too powerful? I can't see that it's overpowering as a level 11 ability.

Diplomacy makes sense, too. Just because you train to fight doesn't mean you can't acknowledge alternatives. If you didn't like it, you wouldn't put ranks into it.

Guardian
Just Extra HP?
Ouch.
While the DR is nice, its not good enough for a LEVEL 11 ability.

Agreed. This one seems a little lackluster.

Tactics:
Seems...Rough. Define "Seen in Combat". As in, they watch him for one round? They view all of his arena matches? Clear this up.

Spreading the Bonus: Does this stack/Cancel a bards ability?
I would alter this a bit. Make it so that if you have fighter levels, you get the full bonus, but if not, you get HALF the bonus.

The Bonus to Feints, Disarms, Ect.: This seems balanced.
Ability Score Requirements: Hmm... Usualy, the req is 13. Doesnt make sense at level 11, but Ok...

Yeah, the Tactics ability should be a little more defined. It's probably an insight bonus, which ought to be specified. Gaining the bonus for the rest of the encounter after a round of combat seems pretty reasonable.

You should also say how long the allies retain the insight bonus after the fighter points out weaknesses to them.

I would also like to point out, though, that you leave the fighter with 8 dead levels. For levels 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8, he gets NOTHING, according to this plan.
Thats 8 levels of Worthlessness.

The thing with fighters was the bonus feats. Essentialy, a "Feat" was a combat tactic. Two weapon fighting, improved trip, weapon focus, weapons specialization, ect. These are the staples of the fighter class. Without the bonus feats, he has NOTHING to customize him.You give the fighters in this build TWO options. Skirmisher or Guardian. Two viable combat routes, but hardly the only two. The thing with the ORIGINAL Fighter was that it had you be able to CHOOSE the feats and skills that you wanted your character to excell at. This does not give that allure of the true fighter.

Its not too much, its too LITTLE. Expand it. Add more options. Give stuff for levels 1-8, and keep trying.

I believe the point is that this is in addition to the bonus feats, not instead of this.

Overall, it's pretty good. The Guardian ought to get something other than just bonus hit points, which are not all that useful and certainly unexciting; abilities like the knight's Shield Ally are probably good things to model it off. Bonuses to AC are probably also a good way to go.

Marcotic
2007-02-25, 10:43 PM
thanks guys, I'll get to work right away..... Edited take a look now at the gaurdian, no more DR but more unique abilities no? I was also wondering if there would be a way to easily have the fighter beable to switch rolls

celtois
2007-02-26, 06:00 PM
this looks interesting