PDA

View Full Version : D&D 3.x Class I am one with the Ancestors (PEACH, WIP)

Bluydee
2014-06-29, 06:24 PM
Mediator

http://media.animevice.com/uploads/1/18405/367409-yoh_charge_4.png

"Let's show them our power, Amidamaru!" -Yoh Asakura, Mediator

The mediator is a person in perpetual balance between the dead and living. They speak with ghosts and seek out whatever to let them rest in peace. Mediators travel with a spirit bonded to them. This spirit doesn't have to be bonded through choice; in fact, many mediators are bonded to unwilling passengers. These spirits are usually of a different species than their partner, and far stronger. For example, a goblin might be bound to an ogre, while a human may be bound to a titan.

A mediator's power comes from their spirit, drawing from their energy and using it to defeat those in the face of their mission.

Adventures: Mediators adventure around to find restless spirits to put to peace. Their mission is to finish whatever problem left behind by the dead person. Though this is their duty, mediators aren't obligated to do this, and many may even shirk these duties to pursue other goals.

Characteristics: Depending on the spirit bonded to a mediator, they can have many different options.

Alignment: Mediators can be of any alignment, however most are neutral due to the wide variety of tasks they do bringing peace, usually in the form of retribution and justice, as well as lawful.

Religion: Rarely do mediators worship gods, but those who do usually worship gods of death and justice, particularly Saint Cuthbert.

Background: Many mediators are born seeing spirits. After seeing tales of their demise and what prevented them from leaving may cause mediators to take it upon themselves to find justice. Others may just simply bond with a spirit and go down the path that way.

Races: Any race can be spurred towards the path of a mediator, for all races can feel the injustice in the world

Other Classes: Mediators rarely have any negativity with other classes, although they are intolerant of any form of necromancy. Mediators feel more connected to paladins, as they usually also have the same ideas of justice as them.

Role: Mediators can serve a wide variety of roles, however most specialize in frontline fighting.

GAME RULE INFORMATION
Mediators have the following game statistics.
Abilities:
Alignment: Any
Hit Die: d8
Starting Age: Simple
Starting Gold: 4d4 x 10 gp

Class Skills
The mediator's class skills (and the key ability for each skill) are Balance(Dex), Climb(Dex), Concentration(Con), Diplomacy(Cha), Gather Information(Cha), Intimidate(Cha), Jump(Str) Listen(Wis), Search(Wis), Sense Motive(Wis), Spot(Wis), Survival(Wis), Swim(Str), Tumble(Dex)

Skill Points at First Level: (4 + Int modifier) x 4
Skill Points at Each Additional Level: 4 + Int modifier

CLASS NAME

Level
Base Attack Bonus
Fort Save
Ref Save
Will Save
Special

1st

+0

+0

+2

+2
Speak with the Dead, Guardian Spirit, Bonus Feat

2nd

+1

+0

+3

+3
Shared Knowledge, Spirit Aura

3rd

+2

+1

+3

+3
Twin Souls 1, Combined Attack

4th

+3

+1

+4

+4
Bonus Feat

5th

+3

+1

+4

+4
Spiritual Training

6th

+4

+2

+5

+5
Dual Minds

7th

+5

+2

+5

+5
-

8th

+6/+1

+2

+6

+6
Bonus Feat

9th

+6/+1

+3

+6

+6
Twin Souls 2

10th

+7/+2

+3

+7

+7
Spiritual Training, Corporeal Spirit

11th

+8/+3

+3

+7

+7
-

12th

+9/+4

+4

+8

+8
Bonus Feat

13th

+9/+4

+4

+8

+8
Twin Souls 3

14th

+10/+5

+4

+9

+9
-

15th

+11/+6/+1

+5

+9

+9
Spiritual Training

16th

+12/+7/+2

+5

+10

+10
Melded Form, Bonus Feat

17th

+12/+7/+2

+5

+10

+10
Twin Souls 4

18th

+13/+8/+3

+6

+11

+11
Spiritual Training

19th

+14/+9/+4

+6

+11

+11
Soul as One

20th

+15/+10/+5

+6

+12

+12
Body as One

Class Features
All of the following are class features of the mediator.

Weapon and Armor Proficiencies: A mediator is proficient with all simple weapons and light armor. The mediator is also proficient in whatever their spirit is proficient in.

Speak with the Dead(Su): At level 1, a mediator gains the ability to use speak with dead as a spell-like ability at-will. Unlike the normal spell, a mediator talks to the actual departed soul rather then the corpse. In addition, mediators gain a bonus equal to half their level with diplomacy and bluff checks against ghosts and other intelligent undead.

Guardian Spirit(Su): A mediator at level 1 becomes bound to a guardian spirit. This spirit can be of any species, but it must be at most two size categories different from the mediator. The spirit is a separate entity from the mediator and has class levels, skillpoints, ability scores and feats like a normal character. This spirit levels whenever his mediator levels. This spirit can only be seen by their mediator.

Bonus Feat(Ex): A mediator gains a feat known to his spirit at levels 1, 4, 8, 12, 16. He need not meet the prerequisites as long as his spirit does, unless these feats are epic, rely on a class feature unusable to the mediator, or have another feat prerequisite.

Shared Knowledge(Su): At level 2, once per day a mediator can add their spirit's skill bonus to one check.'

Spirit Aura(Su): At level 2, the mediator's spirit can appear around their mediator for a number of rounds equal to their concentration modifier as a swift action. While this happens, a mediator can pick to either emit from this image a frightful presence (using either the charisma or strength modifier of the spirit) or an aura of courage.

Twin Souls 1(Su): At level 3, once per day a mediator can add their spirit's save to one of their saves.

Combined Attack(Su): At level 3, while in their spirit aura is active, the mediator can add half their spirit's strength modifier to their attacks. They can also add half their spirit's intelligence, charisma, or wisdom modifier to any spell or psionic power's DC or damage.

Spiritual Training(Ex): At level 5, 10, 15, and 18, a mediator gains a class feature available to their spirit. If the feature is spellcasting, the mediator instead can cast one spell from each spell level available to their spirit. A mediator can also instead add a special attack or special quality available to their spirit. This special attack or quality cannot be supernatural or spell-like abilities or spellcasting. This special attack or quality cannot rely on a bodypart the mediator does not have.

Dual Minds(Su): At level 6, a mediator can replace their mind with his spirit's for a number of rounds equal to the spirit's concentration modifier as a swift action. This pool of rounds is shared with the spirit aura rounds. While the minds are switched, the spirit replaces the mediator's mental ability scores with his own. The spirit also switches the mediator's class levels, feats, and skills with it's own. While this change is active, the spirit's influence appears as a minor feature akin to the spirit's regular form, such as horns or a tail. This gives a +2 circumstance bonus to disguise.

Twin Souls 2(Su): At level 9, a mediator can use his Twin Souls 3 times a day. In addition, the mediator can now add the spirit's attack bonus to an attack as a usage.

Corporeal Spirit(Su): At level 10, A mediator's spirit can manifest physically for a number equal to its concentration modifier, sharing the same pool as spirit aura. While in this form, the spirit cannot use any spell like abilities or spellcasting derived from special qualities. In addition, if the spirit has racial hit dice and/or LA, the spirit takes a penalty to all ability scores equal to the remaining levels it has to get rid of the hitdice or LA.

Twin Souls 3(Su): At level 13, a mediator can use Twin Souls 5 times a day. In addition, the mediator can now reroll any roll once per encounter. This takes 2 usages of Twin Souls.

Melded Form(Su): At level 16, a mediator and their spirit can fuse together into one form for a number of rounds equal to their combined concentration modifier as a swift action. This does not share the pool with spirit aura. The fused form gains the greater of the two base attack bonuses, saves, hitdice, and skills. The fused form also gains all special qualities and special attacks available to either character as long as it is not supernatural/spell-like abilities or spellcasting. The size of this form is the size of the mediator. The fused form has both class features from both characters. The fused form also gains half the racial ability modifiers of both characters. However, the imperfect fusion doubles all stat penalties from races as well as from any due to not reaching the correct hitdice. In addition, the mediator and spirit has to make a concentration check (DC 30) each round or else be split.

Twin Souls 4(Su): At level 17, a mediator can use Twin Souls 10 times a day. In addition, the mediator can now only take 1 usage of Twin Souls to reroll a roll.

Soul as One(Su): At level 19, a mediator can activate Spirit Aura for as long as they want. This also affects the round pool of Dual Minds. In addition, Combined Attack adds 1.5x the spirit's corresponding ability modifier to spells, powers and attacks.

Body as One(Su): At level 20, the mediator and their spirit perfectly fuse their bodies. This feature works like Melded Form unless noted below. The fused form gains all racial ability modifiers, but does not get any penalties. In addition, they do not need to use a concentration check each turn. The mediator can choose whether to keep their original size or their spirit's size.

Shimeran
2014-07-01, 02:19 AM
The class has an interesting gestalt-like theme, though I'm curious as to why it's called a mediator when it doesn't seem to have any special mediating or diplomacy abilities. I suspect it has something to do with some source material but I'm not familiar with the reference. If anything, something like "Bonded Medium" seems more on target.

Mechanically, the point I'm most leary of is Combined attack. That seems like an easy way to boost saves on save or die spells. Admittedly, the really big boost comes in at level 19. For caster-bound types that can make for nigh irresistable save or dies, but the will have very limited shots of that, so it might be a wash. A level dip might be tempting for full casters though.

For warrior types, the possibility of picking a creature with a big strength bonus has a lot of appeal and might justify a level dip. It's a more mixed issue when going to level 19 as it does help offset their midrage BAB progression.

I do find it odd that Soul as One jumps them up to double the modifier. I'm not sure what the in-fiction reason for the doubling is and it's a rather large jump from the original half modifier.

Bluydee
2014-07-01, 09:09 AM
The class has an interesting gestalt-like theme, though I'm curious as to why it's called a mediator when it doesn't seem to have any special mediating or diplomacy abilities. I suspect it has something to do with some source material but I'm not familiar with the reference. If anything, something like "Bonded Medium" seems more on target.

Mechanically, the point I'm most leary of is Combined attack. That seems like an easy way to boost saves on save or die spells. Admittedly, the really big boost comes in at level 19. For caster-bound types that can make for nigh irresistable save or dies, but the will have very limited shots of that, so it might be a wash. A level dip might be tempting for full casters though.

For warrior types, the possibility of picking a creature with a big strength bonus has a lot of appeal and might justify a level dip. It's a more mixed issue when going to level 19 as it does help offset their midrage BAB progression.

I do find it odd that Soul as One jumps them up to double the modifier. I'm not sure what the in-fiction reason for the doubling is and it's a rather large jump from the original half modifier.

This isn't really a reference to anything. I just thought that shaman king picture worked great.

I called them mediators as in the fake psychic ones who say they can talk to the spirit world.

I believe I used double modifier on accident. I think one and a half would be fine. I fixed it.

Bluydee
2014-07-24, 11:55 AM
Is it really that bad? C'mon

Ilinoris
2014-07-24, 01:58 PM
Could the Guardian Spirit, in theory, be a Gorilla with Class Levels?

Bluydee
2014-07-24, 05:29 PM
Yes. The guardian spirit can be anything, even things you can't communicate with.

Ilinoris
2014-07-24, 06:13 PM
Wish I had seen this earlier. Could have been nice for one of my PC's in the campaign.
I guess I'll have to use it for a villian :smallwink: