PDA

View Full Version : Simple Q&A (By the RAW) II

Pages : 1 2 3 [4] 5 6

Velvet Elvis
2007-04-16, 02:25 PM
Q 281

A creature with Outsider traits has, among other things, a BAB equal to a fighter of its HD, good saves across the board and d8 hit dice.

If such a creature gains class levels, do the class' corresponding numbers take effect or is such a creature always defaulting to their type/subtype aspects while classed? What if the class' numbers are better than those of the type/subtype?

(PS: Thanks to all sage members of this thread for prior answers. Kudos and chocolate bunnies for ya.)

Fax Celestis
2007-04-16, 02:27 PM
A279Addendum In that case, the spell specifically states "half of one, half of the other".

squishycube
2007-04-16, 02:31 PM
A281
Monster HD are very much like class levels. They are levels, with the HP, BAB, skills, etc. mentioned. When taking class levels, you use all values for that class. There is one exception I know of: most undead templates change all, current and future, HD to d12's. This overrides the default HD for other character levels.

Edit: We have a nice simu-thing going here Fax. I am leaving now so, you can have the rest of the questions for today :-). Maybe you know anything about my question?

Fax Celestis
2007-04-16, 02:31 PM
A281 No. A creature's type never alters features gained from class levels such as HD, skills, or BAB. Undead templates alter according to Undead traits, but this is a specific exception.

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2007-04-16, 04:58 PM
Q280
I spotted something odd in the SRD and I am AFB. See below

d20 SRD - Under Water Combat (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/wilderness.htm#underwaterCombat)

Condition Movement Off Balance?-4
None of the above normal Yes

4. Creatures flailing about in the water (usually because
they failed their Swim checks) have a hard time fighting
effectively. An off-balance creature loses its Dexterity
bonus to Armor Class, and opponents gain a +2 bonus
on attacks against it.Is this a mistake? It seems strange that being off balance suddenly enables a land creature to move its full speed under water.

A. 280

It is not a helpful table entry. A dash, "-", would have been more appropriate.

Fax Celestis
2007-04-16, 07:18 PM
Q282 Could a monk take Multiattack and reduce the penalties on his Flurry of Blows?

Shhalahr Windrider
2007-04-16, 08:17 PM
A 282

No. Multiattack only reduces penalties for making strikes with secondary natural weapons, which have nothing to do with a monk's Flurry of Blows.

Fax Celestis
2007-04-16, 09:02 PM
A282Aside I should note I ask questions I don't necessarily have, but know someone will eventually ask.

asqwasqw
2007-04-16, 09:20 PM
Q 283

I have 5 Dex, Weapon Finesse, +6/+1 base attack, +11/+6 total attack bonus. I have a 1-H weapon(B) and a off-hand weapon(C). When I make a full attack, if I have TWF and Improved TWF, then my attack bonus will be:

B1:9
B2:4
C1:9
C2:6

Am I correct?

Thank you Jasdoif, and yeah, your right.

Jasdoif
2007-04-16, 09:25 PM
A283

No. The -5 penalty on the second offhand attack is on top of all the other modifiers.

If your offhand weapon is light, it looks like:

B: +9/+4
C: +9/+4

If your offhand weapon is not light, it looks like:

B: +7/+2
C: +7/+2

NOTE: Unless you have Weapon Finesse and your weapons can be used with Weapon Finesse, you add your strength modifier on the (melee) attack rolls, not your dexterity modifier. I assumed you had a +5 Dex modifier and were using Weapon Finesse in the examples above.

Fax Celestis
2007-04-16, 10:40 PM
Q284 A rukanyr is a Large aberration that deals 1d6 with its claws, 1d8 with its bite and 3d6 with its slam. What do the dice change to if it increases in size?

Jasdoif
2007-04-16, 10:59 PM
A284

The table for increased damage by size (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/improvingMonsters.htm#sizeIncreases) conveniently matches the longer listing on improved natural attack (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsterFeats.htm#improvedNaturalAttack).

Using that as the standard, a huge rukanyr would deal 1d8 with its claws, 2d6 with its bite, and 4d6 with its slam.

RMS Oceanic
2007-04-17, 01:49 AM
A - That rapier question (Should be 273 instead of 271)

Weapon Focus (rapier) only applies to the weapons if question if the weapon description explicitly states it does. As the lightblade and thinblade descriptions to not state this as being the case, Wepon Focus (rapier) doesn not apply to either weapon.

This is no different from the fact that a falchion could be described as "scimitar-like," but you still need seperate Weapon Focus feats for each weapon.

Follow Up

Complete Warrior says nothing about this, but Races of the Wild says for both weapons:

Characters proficient with the elven thin/lightblade treat it as a rapier or a longsword (thinblade)/shortsword (lightblade) for any of the following feats: Greater Weapon Focus, Greater Weapon Specialization, Improved Critical, Weapon Focus or Weapon Specialization.

Does that mean I could do it?

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2007-04-17, 02:18 AM
A. 273

Yes.

Jasdoif
2007-04-17, 10:04 PM
Q285

If you have the Crossbow Sniper (PHB2, pp. 77-78) feat, can you use it with a repeating crossbow?

Matthew
2007-04-17, 10:18 PM
A 285

I don't see why not.

Ryuuk
2007-04-17, 11:13 PM
Q 286

A swordsage's discipline focus gives it Weapon Focus with every weapon of a particular Discipline. Would this also grant the swordsage proficiency with every one of those weapons? (Shadow hand for example has a few Monk weapons and the Spiked Chain as favored weapons)

Ionari
2007-04-18, 12:39 AM
Q 287

How does Cloud of Knives (PH2) interact with a scout's skirmish damage? How about Improved Skirmish?

The skirmish rules (C-Adv) say that the extra damage applies to all attacks made during the scout's round, on any round in which the scout moves at least 10'. The rules do *not* say that the scout has to move 10' before the extra damage kicks into effect (though skirmish-based AC bonuses do require such prior movement). The rules for Improved Skirmish (C-Scoundrel) appear to echo this, except they require 20' rather than 10'.

Meanwhile, the Cloud of Knives description says that a knife can be released as a free action on the beginning of your round.

A. Is a knife released from a Cloud of Knives entitled to regular skirmish damage, so long as the scout moves at least 10' later in the round?

B. Is a knife released from a Cloud of Knives entitled to increased skirmish damage from the Improved Skirmish feat, so long as the scout moves at least 20' later in the round?

If possible, please state what RAW you are relying on (if any) in providing your answer.

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2007-04-18, 02:00 AM
A. 287

Skirmish requires prior movement. This was part of the errata.

Page 12: Skirmish (class feature) The second sentence of the skirmish class feature should read as follows (new text indicated in red): She deals an extra 1d6 points of damage on all attacks she makes during any round in which she moves at least 10 feet away from where she was at the start of her turn.
The extra damage applies only to attacks made after the scout has moved at least 10 feet. The skirmish ability cannot be used while mounted.
This update should be made wherever the skirmish ability description is presented (see also pages 31, 56, and 177).

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2007-04-18, 02:11 AM
A. 286

No, the Swordsage class is only proficient with the weapons listed it the Weapon and Armor Proficiency entry on page 15.

RMS Oceanic
2007-04-18, 05:58 AM
Q 288

The Swashbuckler can let you add your Int Modifier to damage, and the Champion of Corellion Lorithan can let you add your Dex modifier, both in addition to strength. Neither of these work on creatures immune to critical hits/sneak attack.

If I have a ghost strike weapon (see Magic Item Compendium), which allows me to critical/sneak attack undead as normal, could I add my Int/Dex modifiers to damage against them as well?

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2007-04-18, 06:08 AM
A. 288

When you use a Ghost Strike weapon Undeads are effectively not immune to Critical Hits and Sneak attacks, so you should be able to use those other abilities against them as normal.

johhny-turbo
2007-04-18, 09:35 AM
Q289 If a vampire is immersed in running water does it do damage equal to it's total hit points or it's current hit points?

JellyPooga
2007-04-18, 09:42 AM
Q290: The Spellstitched template. Is there a Level Adjustment? According to Complete Arcane, no. Does any other book suggest otherwise, or is it 'free' (apart from the XP cost for the 'Spellstitcher')?

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2007-04-18, 09:43 AM
A. 289

By the wording it suggests that it is hp at the time of immersion.

It does say that it is destroyed at the end of round 3 and for that to be true we would have to rely on current HP and not max.

Similarly, immersing a vampire in running water robs it of one-third of its hit points each round until it is destroyed at the end of the third round of immersion.

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2007-04-18, 09:50 AM
A. 290

The Spellstitched template does not have a listed LA, because the template does not change (increase) it.

Generally, if a template does not cause a change to a certain statistic, that entry is missing from the template description.

Ryuuk
2007-04-18, 05:11 PM
Q 291

Technically, 5th level fighter who found a pair of Novice Shadow Hands with Dance of the Spider (3rd level manuever) would be unable to use it because he does not meet the prerequisites, correct? (These being an Initiator level of 5).

Jasdoif
2007-04-18, 08:03 PM
A291

Since Dance of the Spider is a stance, which are generally considered separate from maneuvers, I have difficulty believing Shadow Hands could ever give you access.

That said, your initiator level of 2 would prevent you from using a 3rd level maneuver, yes. (I don't see there being an initiator level restriction on stances.)

reorith
2007-04-18, 08:28 PM
q 292

can you take 0 on a skill check? if so what are the restrictions?

Jasdoif
2007-04-18, 08:35 PM
A292

No. You can choose not to make a skill check, or to automatically fail a skill check, though.

Fax Celestis
2007-04-18, 11:06 PM
A291Cont Stances follow all rules of normal maneuvers and can even be used to qualify for other maneuvers' prerequisites. Their only difference is their usage.

You would not be able to use the gloves until 10th level.

Amiria
2007-04-19, 02:26 PM
Q 293

ToB question: Wolverine Stance (3rd level Tiger Claw stance)

The descriptive text always speaks of one weapon. Can I use two-weapon fighting full attacks when I'm grappled while in this stance ?

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2007-04-19, 02:43 PM
A. 293

Meine Gräfin,

You cannot attack with two weapons in a grapple normally and the stance does not change that.

Attack Your Opponent: You can make an attack with an unarmed strike, natural weapon, or light weapon against another character you are grappling. You take a –4 penalty on such attacks. You can’t attack with two weapons while grappling, even if both are light weapons.

Dausuul
2007-04-19, 11:15 PM
Q 294

In the Spell Compendium, the description of anticipate teleportation says the creature arrives "on its initiative count, immediately before its next turn." Does this mean the creature gets to take a full round's worth of actions immediately on arrival?

Dhavaer
2007-04-19, 11:29 PM
Q. 295
What does the duration for shadow spray (SC, pg. 186) mean? Does the damage last for that long, does the burst last for that long and damage everyone inside each round, or does it last for that long and damage everyone who enters once? Or is it just a typo?

Kyace
2007-04-20, 12:44 AM
Q 294

In the Spell Compendium, the description of anticipate teleportation says the creature arrives "on its initiative count, immediately before its next turn." Does this mean the creature gets to take a full round's worth of actions immediately on arrival?
A 294
Unless, the creature expects your players, seems like thats a fairly textbook example of a surprise round (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/combat/initiative.htm#surprise), however I don't have Spell Conpendium, so I can't say that the spell's text doesn't use some other rules.

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2007-04-20, 02:42 AM
A. 295

The duration could have been intended for the Daze effect.
Burst spells do not usually have a duration (other than instantaneous) for the burst part.
In other words, this spell is in need of errata.

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2007-04-20, 02:48 AM
A. 294

Yes, but the caster (and friends) would have at least a round to prepare for the arrival.

Shhalahr Windrider
2007-04-20, 07:51 AM
A. 295
I don't have acess to the spell description, but...

A burst, by definition, is instantaneous. If it lasts longer, it is instead an emanation. Duration is the only difference between the two area types. (http://www.systemreferencedocuments.org/35/sovelior_sage/magicOverview.html#area)

As such, any non-instantaneous duration in a burst spell reflects the duration of the burst's effects, not that of the burst itself. This is no different than ray spells, such as ray of enfeeblement (http://www.systemreferencedocuments.org/35/sovelior_sage/spellsPtoR.html#ray-of-enfeeblement) which produce an instantaneous effect (the ray itself), but have a non-instantaneous duration listed that describes how long the victim suffers from being hit by the ray.

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2007-04-20, 07:58 AM
Hence my answer.

In this case "/level" needs to be added to the end of the second paragraph, before the material components, and we are good.

Kellus
2007-04-21, 03:23 AM
Q. 296

Can a thri-kreen use two bows at a time, and if so, with what kinds of penalties to his attack rolls? Would multi- or two-weapon fighting feats be applicable?

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2007-04-21, 07:45 AM
A. 296

Yes, it would be like fighting with a non-light weapon in your off hand.
Multiweapon Fighting would reduce the penalties to -4/-4.

Ryuuk
2007-04-21, 08:45 AM
Q 297

The Enfeebling weapon quality in the BoED causes strength damage on a critical hit and allows Spell Resistance. Since warrior type characters, lacking any actual caster level, are probably going to be the ones using it, how would applying it go?

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2007-04-21, 08:52 AM
A. 297

Your Enfeebling weapon uses the items CL, not the wielder's.
If you look at the Enfeebling description there should be an associated CL.

Skjaldbakka
2007-04-21, 10:23 PM
Q. 298

Is there any way to gain the ability to rebuke/command undead as an arcane caster?

MeklorIlavator
2007-04-21, 10:36 PM
A. 298 Barring multiclassing (cleric, soldier of light), no.

Armads
2007-04-21, 10:39 PM
A.298 Extension

With the feats God Touched and Divine Channeler, you can

njero
2007-04-21, 10:47 PM
Q. 299

When applying the tauric template to fuse a medium base humanoid and large base creature, are the damage ratings of the base humanoid's natural attacks raised due to the increase in overall size?

edit:
Q. 299b

Is there a more recent source for the tauric template than Savage Species?

Skjaldbakka
2007-04-21, 11:53 PM
Q. 300
Can you apply an armor enchantment to clothing?
Ex. Undead Controlling(49,000g.p.)

crazedloon
2007-04-22, 01:15 AM
Q 301
When you use metamagic repeat spell (comp arcane P.82) do you copy any other metamagic that you have applyed to the spell on the first casting. Does the second casting use up a spell slot. And do you have to take the normal action for casting that spell or is it a free action.

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2007-04-22, 03:29 AM
A. 299

From the example provided by Savage Species and the information in the template description it looks like a Tauric creature's torso retains the medium sized with respect to weapons it can wield and any natural weapons it might have.

A. 299 b

It appeared in the MM 2 and was updated to 3.5 in the MM2 update Manual.

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2007-04-22, 03:45 AM
A. 300

It would be a custom magic item, but a Robe of Undead Controlling seems like an appropriate item at the listed price. (Robes use the same slot as armor)

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2007-04-22, 03:55 AM
A. 301

The repeated casting of the spell modified by Repeat Spell does not take any action or use up a spell slot.
You can apply or prepare Repeat Spell to/with other metamagic feats as normal, but the spell slot needed is of course higher.
A repeated maximized fireball would take up a 9th level slot.

NEO|Phyte
2007-04-22, 09:58 AM
Q. 302

Is Wolf Fang Strike(ToB)'s -2 penalty in addition to the standard TWF penalties?

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2007-04-22, 10:24 AM
A. 302

It is not technically TWF, so I would say that only the -2 penalty apply.

However, the description could be interpreted in favor of adding the -2 to the TWF penalties.

1337_master
2007-04-22, 01:08 PM
Question. 303 Which book is the sword sage in?

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2007-04-22, 01:12 PM
A. 303

Tome of Battle - The Book of Nine Swords (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=products/dndacc/953787200)

Ivius
2007-04-22, 02:10 PM
Q. 304 Does the Psionic Body feat apply to bonus feats gained as class feature? (Eg. Speed of Thought for Soulknives)?

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2007-04-22, 02:13 PM
A. 304

Yes, as long as they are Psionic feats.

Amiria
2007-04-22, 04:24 PM
Q 305

Probably not strictly a RAW question, perhaps rather asking for an opinion, but I don't think that it deserves its own thread:

Tome of Battle, 2nd level Devoted Spirit maneuver: Shield Block (Counter)

I've though about picking it up for a character but I see a danger there. What if I never get a chance to use it in an encounter because the party fights rather divided or an enemy attacks rather me than my buddy right next to me ? So I used up all my other manuevers except this and because I still have it left I can't recover the others.

So, am I stuck there and must meditate for 5 minutes to recover the other meneuvers ? Or is there some other way to get out of this situation ? Does it make Shield Block a very sucky maneuver ?

Winged One
2007-04-22, 04:38 PM
A 305

If a Crusader has no manuvers left to be granted, not to be initiated, they get granted manuvers just like they did at the start of the encounter.
Q 306
Is it possible to make multiple Craft/Profession checks to earn a living simulaniously?

Shhalahr Windrider
2007-04-22, 04:46 PM
A 305

You do not need to use all your maneuvers to recover any that have been spent.

In the case of a crusader, you automatically recover and randomly determine new readied maneuvers at the end of a turn which you could not normally gain a withheld maneuver.

So, say you are a 3rd-level crusader. You ready five maneuvers at the beginning of the day, including shield block. At the beginning of a fight, you gain access to two of these maneuvers as granted maneuvers. For the sake of argument, you have shield block granted to you right away.

On your turn, you act, taking whatever actions you wish, which may or may not include using one of your granted maneuvers. At the end of your turn, a withheld maneuver is grantedto you, regardless of whether or not you used one of your maneuvers. Another two turns pass in this fashion. At the end of the third round of combat, you have had all your maneuvers granted to you and no longer have any withheld. You have not yet used shield block.

Now comes your fourth turn. You still don't have the opportunity to use shield block, so your turn ends with you in possession of at least one granted maneuver. However, since you no longer have any withheld maneuvers, they are all now automatically rereadied. Two are randomly selected to become granted maneuvers, and the rest are readied and withheld.

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2007-04-22, 04:46 PM
A. 306

Earning a living through Craft/Profession checks requires dedicated work, which is not defined, but probably requires a full days work.

If you somehow sleep less than normal people perhaps a generous DM would allow it.

Shhalahr Windrider
2007-04-22, 04:49 PM
A 306

No. Craft and Profession checks can be made to earn a living through one week of "dedicated work." We can take the term "dedicated work" to mean you do this work to the exclusion of other significant tasks that week.

The J Pizzel
2007-04-22, 06:30 PM
Q307
Does the natural armor improvement for an animal companion or special mount stack with the natural armor that the animal already has?

Douglas
2007-04-22, 07:00 PM
A307
As explicitly stated in the text below each table, yes.

Middle Snu
2007-04-22, 07:17 PM
Geas vs. Lesser Geas:

Lesser Geas says that "The geased creature must follow the given instructions until the geas is completed, no matter how long it takes," implying that the creature must carry out the instructions.

Geas states that "This spell functions similarly to lesser geas, except that it affects a creature of any HD and allows no saving throw."
"Instead of taking penalties to ability scores (as with lesser geas), the subject takes 3d6 points of damage each day it does not attempt to follow the geas/quest."

Does this mean that Lesser Geas is more powerful than Geas in the sense that only it provides a magical compulsion, while Geas merely hurts the subject if he or she refuses to comply?

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2007-04-23, 02:36 AM
A. 308

You already quoted the important part

This spell functions similarly to lesser geas

Geas is also a [Compulsion] spell, not merely some kind of curse.

Rad
2007-04-23, 04:44 AM
Q. 309

Let's say there is a cleric with CHA 10 and a Cloak of Charisma +2. Does he have 3 turning attempts per day or 4?

The analogy is there with enhancement bonuses not contributing to spells per day for casters but merely for the DC; one would be tempted to rule that the CHA bonus only counts in the turning check but not for the overall number of turning attempts.
Is there an "official" answer to that? Where can I find it?
Thank you.

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2007-04-23, 04:52 AM
A. 309

The Cleric would gain the extra turning attempt.

Enhancement bonuses from items do grant extra bonus spells per day as long as the item was worn during "spell recovery".

Do ability enhancing items (such as the headband of intellect, cloak of charisma, and periapt of wisdom) grant bonus spells to the appropriate spellcasters? The spells these items are based on would seem to prohibit it, but the only things specifically addressed in the item descriptions are skill points.

Yes, you can get extra bonus spells if you have an item that increases the ability score that governs your spellcasting. To get the extra bonus spells, you must wear the item while resting to regain spells and all through your initial daily preparations for spellcasting. (Even characters who don’t prepare spells need to meditate a little while at the beginning of the day; see Daily Readying of spells under the Sorcerers and bards section of Chapter 10 in the Player’s Handbook.)
If you lose the item, you immediately lose the bonus spell slots the item gave you, starting with any uncast spells you have of the appropriate levels.

There is one notable exception to the rule that enhanced ability scores give the same benefits as natural ones of the same magnitude and that is intelligence boosting items. Increased intelligence from items do not grant extra skill points even when it is worn for entire levels.

Headband of Intellect: This device is a light cord with a small gem set so that it rests upon the forehead of the wearer. The headband adds to the wearer’s Intelligence score in the form of an enhancement bonus of +2, +4, or +6. This enhancement bonus does not earn the wearer extra skill points when a new level is attained; use the unenhanced Intelligence bonus to determine skill points.

Maerok
2007-04-23, 08:01 PM
Q 310:
Can I split my attacks in a full-attack action across multiple enemies in range?

Q 311:
If I acquire a bunch of different claw and bite attacks (such as from Incarnum soulmelds), how do these figure into a full-attack action with or without a weapon?

Douglas
2007-04-23, 08:11 PM
A310
Yes.

A311
With a weapon, all of them are considered secondary attacks, are made at full BAB - 5, and get half strength bonus to damage. Any appendage that is holding a weapon cannot be used to make a natural attack. All of these attacks are in addition to however many iterative attacks you get with your manufactured weapon(s).

Without a weapon, one natural weapon or one set of natural weapons of the same time are considered primary and receive no penalty to BAB and get full strength to damage, but all the rest are at -5 with half strength bonus to damage.

Fax Celestis
2007-04-23, 08:25 PM
A311 To further the Totemist soulmeld example, a Totemist with Girallon Arms bound to his Totem receives four claw attacks. Any one of his (now four) hands which holds a manufactured weapon cannot make a claw attack, but he can add the remaining claw attacks as secondary weapons in any full-attack routine.

Shhalahr Windrider
2007-04-23, 10:27 PM
A 311

Also note that some monster entries may specify that one or more natural attacks cannot be made alongside a manufactured weapon attack, even if that weapon would normally be free. For instance, wemics can normally make two claw attacks per round, using the claws on their forelegs. However, they can only make one such attack while wielding a manufactured weapon with their hands.

gerunding
2007-04-24, 12:17 AM
Q 312

Does invisibility purge make ethereal creatures visible?

squishycube
2007-04-24, 02:24 AM
A312
Invisibility Purge (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/invisibilityPurge.htm) says:

You surround yourself with a sphere of power with a radius of 5 feet per caster level that negates all forms of invisibility.

Anything invisible becomes visible while in the area.
Ethereal Jaunt (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/etherealJaunt.htm) explains about etherealness:

...An ethereal creature is invisible...
So I suppose the answer is Yes.

RMS Oceanic
2007-04-24, 03:53 AM
Q 313

The Augment Healing feat from Complete Divine says you add two hit points per spell level of healing done by any Conjuration [Healing] spells e.g. add two points to cure light wounds, six to cure serious wounds and twelve to Heal. Do you add these points to each target of a mass cure/heal spell?

Q 313a

Again from Complete Divine, the Vigor series of spells let targets regenerate hit points per round. Would AH increase that amount of healing?

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2007-04-24, 04:19 AM
A. 313

You add +2 per spell level to the amount healed. This wording suggest that you add the extra healing to every target.
Edit: This is also supported by the FAQ (see below).

A. 313 a

The RAW is not explicit, but you could simply add the extra healing on the first round. (And only on the first round of course)

EDIT: The second part was covered in the FAQ.

What effect does the Augment Healing feat (Complete Divine, page 79) have on lesser vigor (Complete Divine, page 186) and similar spells?

Augment Healing adds twice the spell’s level to the total healing it provides. The simplest method is to have the spell apply the extra healing to the first round of fast healing. Thus,
lesser vigor (a 1st-level spell) would cure an extra 2 hp of damage in the first round, for a total of 3 hit points. Each round thereafter it would heal the normal 1 hp of damage. Mass lesser vigor (a 3rd-level spell) would cure an extra 6 hp of damage to each target in the first round (for a total of 7 hit points), and would heal 1 hp of damage each round thereafter as normal.

Asmodeus
2007-04-24, 10:51 AM
Q 314

If I cast Detect Magic, and maintain concentration for the required rounds, while targeting a +1 Longsword, what school of magic will register?

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2007-04-24, 10:53 AM
A. 314

Evocation.

Magic Items and Detect Magic

When detect magic identifies a magic item’s school of magic, this information refers to the school of the spell placed within the potion, scroll, or wand, or the prerequisite given for the item. The description of each item provides its aura strength and the school it belongs to.
If more than one spell is given as a prerequisite, use the highest-level spell. If no spells are included in the prerequisites, use the following default guidelines.

Item Nature School
Armor and protection items Abjuration
Weapons or offensive items Evocation
Bonus to ability score, on skill check, etc. Transmutation

Maerok
2007-04-24, 08:43 PM
A311
With a weapon, all of them are considered secondary attacks, are made at full BAB - 5, and get half strength bonus to damage. Any appendage that is holding a weapon cannot be used to make a natural attack. All of these attacks are in addition to however many iterative attacks you get with your manufactured weapon(s).

Without a weapon, one natural weapon or one set of natural weapons of the same time are considered primary and receive no penalty to BAB and get full strength to damage, but all the rest are at -5 with half strength bonus to damage.

So can the two tentacle attacks of the Displacer Beast soulmeld be used with the four claw attacks of the Girallon soulmeld in the same attack along with the Akheg bite attack? Girallon would be the primary, and then -5 to the others?

crazedloon
2007-04-24, 10:24 PM
Q 315

With the feat extra spell from complete arcane can a spellcaster with a limited list who can learn spells from another ability learn a spell from another list.

I.E could a beguiler gain the extra spell feat and gain a Sorc/Wiz spell?

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2007-04-25, 01:24 AM
A. 315

No, you can only learn spells from your own list.

Can the warmage (Complete Arcane) benefit from the Extra Spell feat?

No. Extra Spell lets you add one spell to your list of spells known, but the spell must be taken from your class spell list.
Since the warmage already knows all the spells on his class spell list, this feat has no effect.

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2007-04-25, 02:01 AM
A. 311 Follow up

So can the two tentacle attacks of the Displacer Beast soulmeld be used with the four claw attacks of the Girallon soulmeld in the same attack along with the Akheg bite attack? Girallon would be the primary, and then -5 to the others?

The wording of the tentacles could have been more clear, but assuming that the lack of full control over them does not hinder their use as part of a full attack, the answer to your question is yes. (It seems reasonable to assume that they are treated like other natural weapons, but with the exception noted in the description)

One claw would then be the primary attack and the remaining claws, bite and tentacles would be your secondary attacks.

cupkeyk
2007-04-25, 10:36 AM
Q. 298

Is there any way to gain the ability to rebuke/command undead as an arcane caster?

A. 298

The Dread Necromancer from Heroes of Horror get Rebuke/Command Undead as a class feature at level 1 and are arcane casters.

wowy319
2007-04-25, 11:37 AM
Q316

The SRD sways that psions have prohibited disciplines, but fails to elaborate. What exactly is a prohibited discipline, and how is it chosen?

Zherog
2007-04-25, 11:43 AM
A 316

I don't see where it says they have prohibited disciplines.

Discipline: Every psion must decide at 1st level which psionic discipline he will specialize in. Choosing a discipline provides a psion with access to the class skills associated with that discipline (see above), as well as the powers restricted to that discipline. However, choosing a discipline also means that the psion cannot learn powers that are restricted to other disciplines. He can’t even use such powers by employing psionic items.

What it says is that they can't use powers that are restricted to disciplines other than their own. For example, if you were a telepath, you couldn't use a power that was only available to an egoist.

wowy319
2007-04-25, 11:52 AM
A 316

I don't see where it says they have prohibited disciplines.

What it says is that they can't use powers that are restricted to disciplines other than their own. For example, if you were a telepath, you couldn't use a power that was only available to an egoist.

Oh, that's what it means! Thank you very much for clarifying that!

Zherog
2007-04-25, 12:16 PM
http://boards1.wizards.com/images/smilies/Tiphat.gif

Sucrose
2007-04-25, 05:31 PM
A. 298

The Dread Necromancer from Heroes of Horror get Rebuke/Command Undead as a class feature at level 1 and are arcane casters.

A. 298 expanded

Also, the Sacred Exorcist prestige class from Complete Devine gives turning, and is accessible to arcane casters, but YMMV, since not all arcane casters are pious.

Q. 317

Does a spell cast by the duskblade class feature Arcane Channeling fizzle if it misses, or does it remain on the weapon until it hits?

crazedloon
2007-04-25, 05:47 PM
Q 318

What is considered a light weapon in a grapple between to misssized creatures

Does a 2 handed weapon for a medium creature still count as a light weapon for huge creature and thus alow the Huge critter to attack the medium critter with it in combat (the medium one is the owner/wielder of the weapon)

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2007-04-25, 06:12 PM
A. 318

The RAW is not clear on this.

The Use Opponent’s Weapon action uses the same (-4) modifier as if the attacker was attacking with a light weapon.
This could suggest that you use the attacker's size to determine whether the weapon is light.
(The situation was probably not considered when the Grapple rules were written.)

Use Opponent’s Weapon: If your opponent is holding a light weapon, you can use it to attack him. Make an opposed grapple check (in place of an attack). If you win, make an attack roll with the weapon with a –4 penalty (doing this doesn’t require another action). You don’t gain possession of the weapon by performing this action.

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2007-04-25, 06:23 PM
A. 317

The Duskblade follows the normal rules for touch spells unless otherwise noted and would thus be holding the charge in case the attack misses.

When a duskblade (Player’s Handbook II, 20) uses arcane channeling to deliver a spell but misses with the weapon attack, is the spell discharged or can he try to deliver the spell again on his next turn?

This follows the normal rule for touch spells; that is, a melee touch spell that misses its target is not discharged.
However, when using the improved version of this class feature gained at 13th level, the spell is discharged at the end of the round regardless of whether you hit or not (as described on page 20).

Sucrose
2007-04-25, 06:40 PM
A. 317

The Duskblade follows the normal rules for touch spells unless otherwise noted and would thus be holding the charge in case the attack misses.

Okay, thanks! Didn't think to check the FAQ...

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2007-04-25, 06:50 PM
Okay, thanks! Didn't think to check the FAQ...

Np, you checked the SQA instead :smallwink:

crazedloon
2007-04-25, 09:36 PM
Q 319
When calculating armor pricing do you apply the additional cost for special material before or after you multiply for size?

Shhalahr Windrider
2007-04-25, 09:45 PM
A 319

The size modifier for price comes last.

On page 217 of the Dungeon Master’s Guide, it states that “the cost of the masterwork quality and any magical enhancement remains the same” regardless of a creature’s unusual size or shape. Adamantine and mithral both state that items made from such material are masterwork quality and the masterwork cost is part of the material cost listed. How much would a set of mithral chainmail barding for my warhorse cost?

A strict reading of the rules indicates that in such a case the masterwork cost for armor should be subtracted from the special material price before applying the multiplier for any unusual size or shape of the intended wearer.

For example, according to the Armor for Unusual Creatures chart on page 123 of the Player’s Handbook, a set of chainmail barding for a warhorse (a Large nonhumanoid creature) would normally cost 600 gp (four times the normal cost of 150 gp). A set of mithral chainmail barding would cost 16,000 gp: 600 gp for the chainmail barding plus 15,400 gp (the cost of mithral medium armor [4,000 gp], minus the masterwork cost for armor [150 gp], times 4).

Alveanerle
2007-04-26, 04:00 AM
Prone spellcasting, three simple questions.

Q320
Is there a concentration check required for prone spellcasting?

Q321
Is there a circumstance penalty for combat casting concentration checks while prone?

Q322
Can prone spellcaster user ranged touch attacks, and if so does he do that with penalty or not? (I know SRD states -4 penalty for melee attacks - including touch attacks - while prone, and I know it states one cannot use ranged weapons other than Xbows, and maybe shurikens. Does that mean one cannot use ranged touch attacks, or does it mean one can use ranged touch attacks without penalty? What's more difficult to do while prone - to point your hand in target's direction and use your willpower to discharge the spell or to point your twohanded Xbow at target's direction and discharge the bolt with your finger?)

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2007-04-26, 04:10 AM
A. 320

No.

A. 321

No, not by RAW and requiring one does not seem appropriate.

A. 322

While spells share many similarities with weapons they are not strictly speaking weapons, so the limitation does not apply to ranged touch spells.
You can use ranged touch spells without penalty while being prone.

Vazzaroth
2007-04-26, 10:03 AM
Q 323

My friend and I are having a minor disagrement: Does the party gain experiance for a trap that is set off?

Fax Celestis
2007-04-26, 10:18 AM
A323 Only if they survive.

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2007-04-26, 10:21 AM
A. 323

Encountering a trap is enough, whether you bypass it safely or get hurt when you blunder into it and set it off.

(DMG page 39)

Ghauldin
2007-04-26, 12:47 PM
Q 324

As far as I know you can keep either a familiar or an animal companion, does anyone know a feat/class ability that lets a character have both of them at the same time?

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2007-04-26, 12:52 PM
A. 324

Nothing prevents you from having both at the same time.

Just be careful that the animal companion does not eat the familiar when the companion keeps losing against the familiar in chess.

Jasdoif
2007-04-26, 02:43 PM
Q325

When applying the lycanthrope template using an animal with a partial hit die (say, a cat's 1/2 HD), do you any rounding with the animal hit die? If not, how do you determine ECL?

Shhalahr Windrider
2007-04-26, 03:28 PM
A 325

Since the only difference between 1/2 a hit die and and a full hit die is the number of hit points granted, I assume you would round up and treat it as one full hit die. After all, you still get full skill points and potential feats off of it. Though it's pretty gray in RAW, I'd also suggest treating it as a full hit die for everything, since partial hit dice are only measures for creatures with less than a full hit die anyway. (That is, you can have a 1/2 HD creature or a 1 HD creature, but not a 1 and 1/2 HD creature).

Also remember that a lycanthrope's animal form must be within one size category of the base creature. So no Medium race could be a werecat based off of a normal cat.

Shhalahr Windrider
2007-04-26, 04:00 PM
Q 326

You cannot make a potion of a spell above 3rd level, nor can you make a wand containing a spell above 4th. Can you, however, create a potion or wand of a spell with a metamagic feat applied so that its effective level was above the normal limit? Even though the pricing formula treats it otherwise, a maximized fireball is still considered a 3rd level spell for pretty much all other purposes.

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2007-04-26, 04:04 PM
Umm Shhalahr are you using your precognitive skill to anticipate future questions :smalltongue:

Jasdoif
2007-04-26, 04:29 PM
A 326

You cannot make a potion of a spell above 3rd level, nor can you make a wand containing a spell above 4th. Can you, however, create a potion or wand of a spell with a metamagic feat applied so that its effective level was above the normal limit? Even though the pricing formula treats it otherwise, a maximized fireball is still considered a 3rd level spell for pretty much all other purposes.I'm going to assume that was supposed to Q326.

A326

No. http://www.d20srd.org/srd/feats.htm#metamagicFeats

With the right item creation feat, you can store a metamagic version of a spell in a scroll, potion, or wand. Level limits for potions and wands apply to the spell’s higher spell level (after the application of the metamagic feat).Emphasis mine.

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2007-04-26, 04:33 PM
I did not even read what Shhalahr wrote, I just assumed it was an answer to a deleted post. :-)

Threeshades
2007-04-26, 06:56 PM
Q 327
If I use the feat Whilrwind Attack, can I still get additional attacks through Cleave/Great Cleave?
And if so, when are the Cleave Attacks resolved? Directly after striking down an enemy, or only after all whirwind attacks are resolved?

Jasdoif
2007-04-26, 07:02 PM
A327

No. As Whirlwind Attack's text says, you "forfeit any bonus or extra attacks granted by other feats, spells, or abilities" when using it. That includes extra attacks from Cleave and Great Cleave.

NEO|Phyte
2007-04-26, 07:34 PM
Q328

From Perfect multiweapon Fighting (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/epic/feats.htm#perfectMultiweaponFighting):

Benefit
You can make as many attacks with each extra weapon as with your primary weapon, using the same base attack bonus. You still take the normal penalties for fighting with two weapons.
If your primary weapon has the Speed special ability and your BAB is at least +16, do you get 5 attacks with your offhand weapons?

Asmodeus
2007-04-26, 08:30 PM
A328

I don't see it in the RAW, but I would assume that the Speed weapon gets one extra attack because of its magical properties. If all of your extra weapons also have the Speed enhancement, then you could get 5 attacks with each. Otherwise, you only get 5 attacks with the weapon that has the speed enhancement.

The Perfect Multiweapon Fighting feat says that you use the same attack bonus. It does not say you use the same magical effects as well.

{And I beat Lord Silvanos to a question! Woot!}

Shhalahr Windrider
2007-04-26, 09:56 PM
Umm Shhalahr are you using your precognitive skill to anticipate future questions :smalltongue:
See the "Reason for Editing" note in my post above. :smallredface:

namo
2007-04-27, 02:29 AM
If your primary weapon has the Speed special ability and your BAB is at least +16, do you get 5 attacks with your offhand weapons?

A328 - different opinion
I believe the Speed enchantment only ever grants you one additional attack per round, but I can't find the reference right now.

So even with a speed weapon in each hand, you would get 5 attacks with the first hand and 4 with all others (the same as if only the first weapon had the Speed enchantment).

[OT: a new FAQ is available]

Raum
2007-04-27, 07:54 AM
I don't see it in the RAW, but I would assume that the Speed weapon gets one extra attack because of its magical properties. If all of your extra weapons also have the Speed enhancement, then you could get 5 attacks with each. Otherwise, you only get 5 attacks with the weapon that has the speed enhancement.Incorrect. From the SRD:
When making a full attack action, the wielder of a speed weapon may make one extra attack with it. The attack uses the wielder’s full base attack bonus, plus any modifiers appropriate to the situation. (This benefit is not cumulative with similar effects, such as a haste spell.)Emphasis added.

Q328

From Perfect multiweapon Fighting (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/epic/feats.htm#perfectMultiweaponFighting):

If your primary weapon has the Speed special ability and your BAB is at least +16, do you get 5 attacks with your offhand weapons?A328 While the RAW on Perfect Multiweapon Fighting isn't completely clear, the phrase "using the same base attack bonus" does imply duplication of iterative attacks and not extra attacks granted from other abilities. The statement under normal supports this.

Additionally, speed enchantment and the haste spell are clear. You only get a single additional attack from them, no matter how many "similar effects" you may have at one time.

Asmodeus
2007-04-27, 08:07 AM
Raum, I see what you are saying, but I think we have different interpretations. I would read that as no further extra attacks with that same weapon. However, other weapons may still benefit from a haste spell.

I would interpret your emphasised bit as follows:

Lets say I have a speed weapon in my primary hand, and a normal weapon in my off hand. In addition, I have the perfect two-weapon fighting feat. Then, someone casts haste on me. My primary weapon will only get 1 extra attack,from speed. The haste does not stack. However, my off-hand weapon gets an extra attack from haste, but not from the speed enhancement of my primary weapon.

Should we break this out into a seperate thread for discussion?

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2007-04-27, 08:18 AM
This has been debated, twice in these SQA series I think, and on various threads here and elsewhere.

Important references include the 3.0 FAQ, the changed Speed description between 3.0 and 3.5 and a specific quarterstaff from the Epic Level Handbook that has Speed on both ends.

Also note that YOU are the one benefiting from Haste and Speed, not the weapon.

Q. 103 (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=2196707&postcount=289)

Q. 238 (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1813921&postcount=981)

Thread (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=19529)
[/URL]
[URL="http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=40732"]Thread (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=19529)

Tyrael
2007-04-27, 06:30 PM
Q329

The Warlock in our party just acquired Wall of Fire(PHB p.298) at level 11. He argues that it grants total concealment because the wall is opaque. I contend that if the spell does not explicitly say that it grants concealment, it doesnot grant concealment.

Wall of Fire

Opaque sheet of flame up to 20ft long/level or a ring of fire with a radius of up to 5ft per 2 levels. Either form is 20ft high.

What do you guys think? Does Wall of Fire grant any form of concealment whatsoever?

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2007-04-27, 06:39 PM
A. 329

A Wall of Iron does not state that it grants total cover and concealment either, but I am positive that you still grant it, yes?

The Spell clearly states that the Wall of Fire is opaque. With that in mind I would have a hard time arguing that you could see through it.

Shhalahr Windrider
2007-04-27, 06:44 PM
A 329

"Opaque" means you can't see through something. When you can't see something on the other side of another object, that object grants total concealment. So, by specifying the flames are opaque, it does explicitly grant total concealment.

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2007-04-27, 06:47 PM
See Shhalahr now you have me reading your posts twice, just to make sure you are not asking a question. :-p

Curmudgeon
2007-04-28, 08:02 AM
Q 326

Can you, however, create a potion or wand of a spell with a metamagic feat applied so that its effective level was above the normal limit?
A 326 elaboration

No, but you should consider that the effective spell level is that applicable to the person brewing the potion or crafting the wand. So a Cleric could create a wand of Control Water which is usable by a Wizard, despite Control Water being a 6th level Wizard spell. Similarly class abilities or feats can reduce the spell level so that it fits within the restrictions of Brew Potion or Craft Wand. And thus a caster with Improved Metamagic twice could craft a wand of Maximized Fireball, usable by anyone who could use a standard wand of Fireball.

Enlong
2007-04-28, 04:19 PM
Q. 330

If you use the Ironwood spell on a staff that has been treated to be used for the Changestaff spell, will the resulting Treant be made of Ironwood?

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2007-04-28, 04:23 PM
A. 330

No, it will work exactly like the spell description says.

Enlong
2007-04-28, 04:39 PM
(darn. 'cause an ironwood treant would be awesome. Thanks though)

Sutremaine
2007-04-28, 06:58 PM
Q331
Beads of karma can be activated by "any character capable of casting divine spells". Does the use of UMD allow arcane casters to use a bead of karma?

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2007-04-28, 07:03 PM
A. 331

The emulate class feature of UMD (DC 21) would allow you to activate the Bead of karma.

clockwork warrior
2007-04-28, 08:27 PM
q. 332

can the feats head long rush(races of faerun) and leap attack be used at the same time, and do they stack?

Sutremaine
2007-04-28, 09:29 PM
Q333
Can a non-caster get access to self-only permanent spells (See Invisibility, Darkvision, etc.) by using UMD?

Jasdoif
2007-04-28, 09:57 PM
A333

Since permanency (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/permanency.htm) only requires being cast following the first spell being cast, UMD should suffice. Whatever source of permanency you're using needs to have the necessary caster level and XP component in it, however; this might prove difficult for certain spells.

Vazzaroth
2007-04-28, 10:56 PM
Q.334

The Soulbow class from Complete Psionics (P. 37) says that a Soulbow's Phase Arrow "negates cover, concealment, and even armor modifiers", are shields passed through as well, or just armor?

Fax Celestis
2007-04-29, 01:06 AM
A334 Shield bonuses to AC are classified in the DMG as a special kind of Armor bonus, so yes.

Ionari
2007-04-29, 01:08 AM
Q.335

A. Spellwarp Sniper's sudden raystrike only adds the additional dice of damage to spells that already do hp damage. However, spells that do ability damage get extra hp damage from sneak attack (negative energy damage if I recall correctly). If a spell does ability damage, and qualifies for sneak attack (due to target losing dex bonus), thus also doing negative energy hp damage - does it qualify for sudden raystrike damage?

B. Spellwarp Sniper's spellwarp works on spells of level equal to or less than the SS's class level. Is this before or after applying metamagic? E.g., can a level 3 SS use spellwarping on a maximized fireball?

C. Can a Spellwarp Sniper memorize a fireball (or scintillating sphere, or what have you) with the Split Ray metamagic feat, with the intent of spellwarping it? What happens if he casts the spell without spellwarping it? Normal fireball, or fizzle?

Fax Celestis
2007-04-29, 01:57 AM
A335
a. Yes.
b. Before.
c. Its not addressed by the PrC, but I would say that you could not apply inappropriate metamagic until after the conversion, which gives spontaneous casters a distinct advantage for the Spellwarp Sniper PrC.

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2007-04-29, 03:36 AM
A. 332

Yes, both can be combined when charging.

rawling
2007-04-29, 07:49 AM
Q336: Is there any generic way of enchanting a weapon to change, or add, a damage type to it?

Advance Strat..
2007-04-29, 01:03 PM
Q337

Probably should be obvious, but I'm not seeing it, so what better spot to ask.

The front post says not to ask how to play D&D here.... so is there already another topic for that purpose, and if so where is it?

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2007-04-29, 01:22 PM
A. 337

No, not specifically. You can start a new thread with that name and I am sure you will get some input.

A good starting point is to get a hold of a Player's Handbook and read about it there :-)

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2007-04-29, 01:38 PM
A. 336

Morphing (Magic Item Compendium) would allow you to reshape one (melee/throwing) weapon into another and thereby also potentially change the damage type.

This might of course be a more radical approach than what you are looking for, but it is all that I can come up with off-hand.

Asmodeus
2007-04-29, 01:48 PM
A. 336
Supplimental

If you want to add a damage type, there are some spells available, such as Flame Arrow (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/flameArrow.htm) which will add fire type damage to your weapon.

The Artificer from the Eberron Campaign Setting has some Infusions (like spells) which will add similar effects to almost any weapon. It can make any weapon temporarily Flaming, Frost, or the like.

Shhalahr Windrider
2007-04-29, 02:21 PM
Q331
Beads of karma can be activated by "any character capable of casting divine spells". Does the use of UMD allow arcane casters to use a bead of karma?

A. 331

No, you would have to be a divine spellcaster capable of casting divine spells from your spell list.

Access through items are not sufficient to meet that requirement.
I'm not following this.

Use Magic Device->Emulate Class Feature->Emulate Divine spellcasting class feature, and you should be able to use it.

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2007-04-29, 02:51 PM
You are of course correct, DC 21 UMD check should do it.

henebry
2007-04-29, 07:29 PM
Q338How do Resist Energy and Protection from Energy interact with the Vulnerability which certain creatures have to certain energy types? Does a Red Dragon with Resist Energy [cold] subtract 10 from cold damage and thenmultiply by 1.5? Or multiply first and subtract second?

Or, possibly, are creatures with energy vulnerability unable to benefit from Resist Energy and Protection from Energy? I notice that the sample red dragons in the MM and in the Draconomicon don't have either spell even though they would seem to be vital spells for any spellcasting creature with the Fire subtype.

Shhalahr Windrider
2007-04-29, 08:08 PM
A 338
Fortunately, this item is in the FAQ:

If a monster has resistance and vulnerability to the same kind of damage (such as fire), which effect is applied first? And when does the saving throw come in?

Always roll a saving throw before applying any effects that would increase or reduce the damage dealt. For example, if a frost giant is struck by a fireball that would deal 35 points of damage, it would roll its Reflex save, then apply its vulnerability to fire after determining how much damage the fireball would normally deal. If the save failed, the frost giant would take 52 points of damage: 35 + one-half of 35 (17.5, rounded down to 17). A successful save would mean the frost giant suffered only 25 points of damage: one-half of 35 rounded down (17), plus one-half of 17 rounded down (8).

If the creature has both resistance and vulnerability to the same kind of damage, apply the resistance (which reduces the damage dealt by the effect) before applying the vulnerability (which increases the damage taken by the creature). For example, imagine our frost giant wore a ring of minor fire resistance (granting resistance to fire 10). If the save failed, the frost giant would take 37 points of fire damage: 35 (fireball) – 10 (resistance to fire 10) = 25, plus one-half of 25 (12.5, rounded down to 12). If the save succeeded, the frost giant would take only 10 points of damage: 17 (half damage from the fireball, rounded down) – 10 (resistance to fire 10) = 7, plus one-half of 7 (3.5, rounded down to 3).

As a general guideline, whenever the rules don’t stipulate an order of operations for special effects (such as spells or special abilities), you should apply them in the order that’s most beneficial to the creature. In the case of damage, this typically means applying any damage-reducing effects first, before applying any effects that would increase damage.

crazedloon
2007-04-29, 10:27 PM
Q 339

When the Invisible blade class mentions that it only gains its bonuses when armed only with knives does this mean that the character can not have any other sort of weapon on his/her person or does that mean that it just needs to be holding the weapon.

Jasdoif
2007-04-29, 10:39 PM
A339

"Armed with" means weapons you're in a position to make an attack with, in other words the weapon(s) you're wielding. The only weapons that matter are the ones in your hand(s). As long as all of those are knives, you can use the class abilities.

Tyrael
2007-04-30, 03:58 AM
Q340

Creating a Magical Item.

This question is a bit convoluted.

When a character is creating a magical item, what exactly, specifically, is needed for the creation? GP, XP, and spellcasting ability, right?

My DM and I are trying to find out what exactly goes into the creation of a Ring of True Strike. He believes that the GP cost is supposed to be used in a manner to acquire the materials. However, I'm not sure that's entirely logical, since to craft a ring, all you need is a bit of molten metal and a mold, so how is it that those cost 8,000? (1 x 1 x 2000 x 4)

When a spellcaster creates a magical item, he is imbuing the item with the power to retain its megical property indefinitely. This is a more complex spellcasting process than normal, represented by the XP loss. However, if the mage is able to cast the spell and willing to sacrifice the XP, is there anything that would prevent it from being cast? DM's searching for a way to specifically ban the True Strike ring, but wouldn't that ban all other magical rings as well?

Also:
Q341

True Strike:

You gain temporary, intuitive insight into the immediate future during your next attack. Your next single attack roll (if it is made before the end of the next round) gains a +20 insight bonus. Additionally, you are not affected by the miss chance that applies to attackers trying to strike a concealed target.

What exactly does "next single attack roll" mean? Would it be legal to argue that each individual attack roll in a full attack action is, in and of itself, a single attack roll?

Simply put: Does True Strike affect only the first attack each round, or all attacks in the round?

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2007-04-30, 04:05 AM
A. 341

Next single attack roll means the next time you roll your d20 as an attack.
Only a single roll gains the benefit, so only the first attack in a full attack would benefit.

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2007-04-30, 04:16 AM
A. 340

This is not really a RAW question. What you are essentially asking for is the fluff reason behind the mechanics.

Your DM is correct, however, the gold used in creation represents magic supplies needed when creating magic items, according to the DMG.
Whether this is logic is irrelevant from a RAW standpoint.

RAW, both gold and xp is needed as described in the rules for creating magic items.

On another note; the Ring of True strike is not a standard item and are thus subject to DM approval and should be carefully balanced with respect to other items.

The non-customary item creation guidelines are just guidelines and comparison with other items of similar power is far more relevant when determining its price.

Shhalahr Windrider
2007-04-30, 08:55 AM
A 340

The gold doesn't just go to pay for the item to be enchanted, but all sorts of additional magical components, similar to the material components involved in casting many spells. Similar, but more expensive. They are, of course, in addition to any material components needed for the spells involved in creating the item.

(Aside: In any case, if you fancy a ring up to a sufficient extent, it certainly can be worth 8,000 gp. All you need is a 10 gp band and a 7,990 gp diamond.)

ski309
2007-04-30, 02:39 PM
Q342

What are the rules concerning speed & encumbrance when a PC with above-standard speed (40ft+) wears medium or heavy armor? The SRD armor table only gives numbers for 30ft and 20ft speeds.

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2007-04-30, 02:43 PM
A. 342 (NOT 341)

The Encumbrance table has other listed speeds

Armor and Encumbrance for Other Base Speeds

The table below provides reduced speed figures for all base speeds from 20 feet to 100 feet (in 10-foot increments).

Base Speed Reduced Speed
20 ft. 15 ft.
30 ft. 20 ft.
40 ft. 30 ft.
50 ft. 35 ft.
60 ft. 40 ft.
70 ft. 50 ft.
80 ft. 55 ft.
90 ft. 60 ft.
100 ft. 70 ft.

Jasdoif
2007-04-30, 02:56 PM
A342 supplemental

If you need to extrapolate higher numbers then the table has, the formula seems to be that a creature's encumbered speed is two-thirds of its unencumbered speed, rounded up to a five-foot multiple.

Liliedhe
2007-04-30, 03:58 PM
Q343

I like the 'Kensai'-Class in Baldur's Gate II. Does this class still exist under 3.5 rules and if it does, where can I find it?

Fax Celestis
2007-04-30, 04:01 PM
A343 There is a Kensai class in Complete Warrior, though it is a bit different from what you're expecting, probably.

crazedloon
2007-04-30, 08:43 PM
Q344

If you time hop (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/powers/timeHop.htm) a person then Deja Vu (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/powers/dejaVu.htm) them when they come back do they hop again?

Shhalahr Windrider
2007-04-30, 08:51 PM
A 344
No. Performing the time hop was your action, not theirs. They repeat what they did on their last turn. If they are unable to repeat that action, they simply do nothing.

crazedloon
2007-04-30, 09:14 PM
Q345 cont.
If you take no action from the Deja Vu for any reason and you get Deja Vued again will youtake no action again?

Jasdoif
2007-04-30, 09:17 PM
A345

Yes. If you're deja vu-ed in the next round, your actions from the last round would be doing nothing. So you would do nothing again.

Maxymiuk
2007-05-01, 04:49 PM
Q 346: If a PC becomes afflicted with lycanthropy, does he gain the HD and LA adjustment of the new template?

Q 346a: Consequently, does a mechanic exist to keep him from becoming an overpowering presence in the party?

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2007-05-01, 05:00 PM
A. 346

Yes.

A. 346a

If the alignment of the Lycanthrope is unsuitable for the campaign there is a good chance that the player will become an NPC soon enough.

There are optional rules that allow for splitting the template into levels so you grow into them. Savage Species and the WotC website has examples and I am sure board members here could help also.

Other than that there is some (read: very little) RAW comfort in knowing that the rules for awarding xp will balance things eventually, but that of course does not solve the problem for some time.

How should a character afflicted with a template (such as a PC who becomes a werewolf) deal with his newly acquired level adjustment? What if he later gets rid of the lycanthropy?

The simplest method to adjudicate this is to use the character’s new ECL to determine the point at which he gains his next level. A 4th-level barbarian who contracts lycanthropy
from a werewolf (and thus gains 2 Hit Dice and a +2 level adjustment) becomes an ECL 8 character, and thus wouldn’t gain another class level until his XP total would advance him to
9th level. In the short term, this means the character has an advantage over his comrades (since he hasn’t yet “paid” for his level adjustment), but this is a self-correcting problem.
If the curse of lycanthropy is later lifted, the character loses the level adjustment. Technically speaking, he should then gain any class levels “due” to him according to his XP total. At the
DM’s option, these levels could be applied gradually rather than all at once. One option might be to give the character one level immediately and then two class levels every time he would gain a single level until his character level is appropriate for his XP total. This makes the change less abrupt, but also represents a significant penalty to the character, so this option
should be used only if everyone is comfortable with it.

Jasdoif
2007-05-01, 05:12 PM
A346a further comment

While not RAW, an official web enhancement (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/we/20060630a) suggests the possibility making the character "pay" for sudden LA with actual levels (specifically mentions a level 9 wizard becoming a level 5 wizard on gaining a +4 LA template). That might work well if you're concerned about maintaining ECL, but you'd need to include the animal hit dice as well. The character might not have sufficient levels to cover all that.

henebry
2007-05-01, 07:55 PM
Q347 I'm working up an Annis Hag and Green Hag who are after the party that killed the Sea Hag which was part of their covey. The Green Hag can cast invisibility at will as a spell-like ability. The spell invisibility can be cast as a personal or touch spell. Does that mean that the GH can make both herself and her buddy AH invisible as two separate standard actions?

Thanks!

MisterChris
2007-05-01, 08:17 PM
Q 348 I have a question about a manuver from TOB It's Wall of Blades, Does anyone know for sure if it works against Ranged touch attacks specifically ray spells?

Jasdoif
2007-05-01, 08:27 PM
A347

Yes. Since the monster's entry says nothing to the contrary, the spell-like ability has the same options as the spell it's based on.

Shhalahr Windrider
2007-05-01, 08:29 PM
A 347

Yes. Unless otherwise noted, a spell-like ability functions exactly as its spell version (sans Somatic, Verbal, Material, etc. components, of course).

Sutremaine
2007-05-01, 10:07 PM
Q349
Using Chill Touch with the Duskbade's full-attack channeling ability discharges the spell at the end of the round. The standard-action channeling has no such limitation, so could I continue channeling it for as many hits as I have caster levels?

Q350
Speaking of full attacks and standard actions, they're not full-round actions or attack actions. Is the Duskblade's channeling really limited to those two actions? (If so, that sucks.)

Q351
When does the round end? After I conclude my actions, at initiative count 1, or initiative count [mine+1]?

Jasdoif
2007-05-01, 10:27 PM
A349

This is covered in the FAQ.

How does the duskblade’s arcane channeling class feature (Player’s Handbook II, 20) work with spells that allow multiple touch attacks, such as chill touch?

For a spell that allows you to make multiple touch attacks against separate creatures (such as chill touch), you only channel one touch of the spell through your weapon attack, regardless of the number of touches allowed by the spell. If the spell’s duration is instantaneous (as chill touch), its effect is expended by a single weapon attack, even if the spell would normally allow multiple simultaneous touches.

If the spell allowed you to make multiple simultaneous touch attacks against the same target, treat it as if you had targeted the enemy struck by your weapon with all the eligible attacks.

A350

Arcane Channeling allows you to deliver a touch spell through a melee attack. You only need the standard action to cast the spell, once you've done that you can deliver it with any melee attack, including a standard attack, one of the attacks in a full attack or an attack of opportunity. (The FAQ addresses this as well, saying to consider this the same as any other melee touch spell: you retain it until it's expended or you cast another spell)

At 13th level, you get the ability to have every attack in a full attack have the spell's effect (though the FAQ says a particular creature can only be affected once).

A351

In general, a round is composed of all the turns of everyone involved in combat, in initiative order. Once everyone's gone in a round, a new round starts.

I'm kind of surprised they used the term "end of the round" with that use of arcane channeling. I would guess they mean the channeled spell lasts for a whole round and then is gone at the start of your next turn, meaning you retain the channeled spell for any attacks of opportunity you might make until then. Maybe someone else has a better grasp of the exact meaning here, though.

Pantler
2007-05-02, 06:04 AM
Q352

Is there any kind of a plant type player character race?

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2007-05-02, 06:20 AM
A. 352

I do not remember seeing many suitable creatures, but from the MM both the Shambling Mound and Treant has a LA, which makes them available at high levels.

I am sure it is possibly to homebrew something with the right green flavor:-)

Edit: I know Fax would come along shortly ;-)

Shhalahr Windrider
2007-05-02, 06:59 AM
A. 352

There was a plant race in an old issue of Dragon. I'm not sure which one.

Shiny, Bearer of the Pokystick
2007-05-02, 08:42 AM
A 352
One of the 'other races' presented in Races of The Wild is Killoren, plant-based humanoids who can manifest aspects of nature to gain certain benefits.

Fax Celestis
2007-05-02, 09:18 AM
A352 There are also a number of plant races on the homebrew forums here.

Fax Celestis
2007-05-02, 04:00 PM
Q353 There was an item in 2e, an amulet that prevented your death, made you invisible, and left behind a major image of your corpse. I forget what it was called. Does anyone know what it is, and if it was updated to 3.5?

apandapion
2007-05-02, 05:16 PM
Q354

From the 3.5 SRD:

Spells per Day: When a new arcane trickster level is gained, the character gains new spells per day as if he had also gained a level in a spellcasting class he belonged to before adding the prestige class. He does not, however, gain any other benefit a character of that class would have gained, except for an increased effective level of spellcasting. If a character had more than one spellcasting class before becoming an arcane trickster, he must decide to which class he adds the new level for purposes of determining spells per day.

Does "Mystic Theurge" count as a spellcasting class for these purposes? If you qualified for both Mystic Theurge and Arcane Trickster, could you take a level of Mystic Theurge, then take a level of Arcane Trickster with the chosen spellcasting class being "Mystic Theurge", thereby gaining arcane and divine spell progression while advancing in Arcane Trickster?

I imagine the answer is no. If so, why not?

Fax Celestis
2007-05-02, 05:21 PM
A354 Mystic Theurge is not an eligible class since it doesn't actually provide spellcasting; it merely advances another classes' spellcasting. There's no reason, however, that you couldn't go, say, Rogue 1/Wizard 3/Cleric 3/Mystic Theurge 10/Arcane Trickster 3. It's just that Arcane Trickster wouldn't be advancing the Mystic Theurge's caster progression; it'd be stacking with levels of Wizard to determine spells per day for that class--which is the same thing that the Mystic Theurge does.

Pantler
2007-05-02, 05:38 PM
A 353

It's the Amulet of Dramatic Death from The Complete Thief's Handbook. You can find the update in Dragon 316, page 43.

Droodle
2007-05-03, 02:29 AM
Q 355
Are Swiftblade or Eldritch Knight levels in which a caster level isn't gained considered "non-caster levels" as far as the Practiced Spellcaster feat is concerned?

Jasdoif
2007-05-03, 02:39 AM
A355

Yes.

An easier way to look at it is like the feat says: It increases your caster level for the given casting class by 4, up to a maximum of your hit dice. You don't need to find out exactly which levels didn't increase that caster level.

RMS Oceanic
2007-05-03, 05:04 AM
Q 356

Even if a character treats an exotic weapon as a martial weapon thanks to weapon familiarity, it is still treated as an exotic weapon for the purpose of qualifying for feats, prestige classes, or other benefits that require the character to be skilled in the use of an exotic weapon.

If my elf fighter takes Improved Weapon Familiarity, is he considered to have exotic weapon proficiency in the Elven Lightblade, Thinblade and Courtblade for purposes such as qualifying for Champion of Correllon Larithion (which requires EWP with the Thin/Courtblade)?

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2007-05-03, 05:08 AM
A. 356

Yes, the "... to be skilled in the use of an exotic weapon." should cover that part.

Fax Celestis
2007-05-03, 11:37 AM
Q357 Does resistance to cold provide similar resistance to cold-weather? IE: If I have Cold Resist 5, do I need to cast endure elements on myself to ensure my survival in the Frostfell?

ski309
2007-05-03, 11:42 AM
Q358

Does use of the Hand of the Mage wondrous item meet the Arcane Trickster requirement that he/she be able to cast Mage Hand?

Fax Celestis
2007-05-03, 11:43 AM
A358 No. The requirement is the ability to cast the spell. The item, in this case, is the one doing the casting, not you.

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2007-05-03, 11:43 AM
A. 357

Resistance to Energy also protects against natural energy dangers, but resistance 5 is typical not enough to ensure complete protection.

Jasdoif
2007-05-03, 11:48 AM
Q about A357

A. 357

Resistance to Energy also protects against natural energy dangers, but resistance 5 is typical not enough to ensure complete protection.Does that apply here though, since the text doesn't state that the damage caused is cold damage?

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2007-05-03, 12:00 PM
A. to Q. about A. 357

Yes, although not specified in the DMG it is at least implied that it is cold damage.

However, Frostburn page 9 states this explicitly and gives further information about cold dangers.

Fax Celestis
2007-05-03, 12:04 PM
Q357Addendum Does this apply to all forms of natural hazards, or just cold temperatures?

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2007-05-03, 12:16 PM
A. 357 Addendum

Yes, you can step in a natural pool of acid, walk in the desert or take a lava bath with the appropriate resistances/immunities.

There might still be other dangers associated with doing it though, you could still drown in acid/sand/lava.

Energy resistance provides protection in addition to spells such as Endure Elements or similar.

UserClone
2007-05-03, 07:26 PM
Q 029

Does a creature continue to threaten normally when they cannot see/sense potential targets within the relevant squares? Perhaps due to effective blindness, pitch darkness (w/out ability to see through it), heavy fog with zero visiblity beyond 5', etc.

Q 030

Does a victim/target have to be able to see/detect/be aware of an opponent in order for that opponent to threaten it for flanking purposes? (I think this may be extrapolated somewhat from invisibility rules re sneak attacks, but I'm not sure.)

PS: Thanks to those who answered my earlier questions.

A029
I looked everywhere I thouht was relevant:
http://www.d20srd.org/srd/specialAbi...m#invisibility (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/specialAbilities.htm#invisibility)
http://www.d20srd.org/srd/specialAbi...m#invisibility (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/specialAbilities.htm#invisibility)
http://www.d20srd.org/srd/combat/combatModifiers.htm
http://www.d20srd.org/srd/combat/att...pportunity.htm (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/combat/attacksOfOpportunity.htm)

But I can't find anything that says you don't get to make AoO's against creatures you can't see. So currently my answer would be: By the RAW, you can make AoO's against opponents you cannot see.

A030
Relevant rules are those mentioned above, and this one:
http://www.d20srd.org/srd/combat/com...s.htm#flanking (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/combat/combatModifiers.htm#flanking)

Once again, it does not mention invisibility, so you would flank an opponent you can't see as normal.

I would have to disagree (albeit partially) with this reply.
1. AoO are made as reactions to creatures which are barreling through your vicinity on their way to somewhere else, however if you are unaware of the invisible opponent, unless you hear footfalls in the heat of battle, ascertain that someone invisible is passing by you, and decipher (or don't care) whether this invisible someone is a friend or foe, all in the instant he goes by you, why would you be entitled to AoO?
2. Again with flanking the key word here is aware. Flanking is used in D&D to represent two melee combatants getting a better chance to hit an opponent because he is being harried by an ally. how can your ally be harrying an opponent of whom he is unaware? However, if an enemy cleric goes invisible right in between two allied fighters (assuming he successfully cast defensively), then for some reason did not move afterwards, they would get to flank him, but would still have the 50% miss chance. This seems the most logical, albeit longwinded answer?
Now where's that cherry-picker? I gotta get down off this soapbox and pee.

UserClone
2007-05-03, 07:32 PM
Does use of the Hand of the Mage wondrous item meet the Arcane Trickster requirement that he/she be able to cast Mage Hand?

No. But even if it did, would you really want to hinge the use of one of your main class abilities on a single, low-level magic item?

UserClone
2007-05-03, 07:42 PM
Q343

I like the 'Kensai'-Class in Baldur's Gate II. Does this class still exist under 3.5 rules and if it does, where can I find it?

A343addendum:
There is also a kensai fighter variant base class in Dragon #310.

JoeFredBob
2007-05-03, 09:01 PM
Q 359

Does the rogue ability crippling strike cause stacking strength damage? I.e. would a rogue with crippling strike that dealt 4 sneak attacks in a round also deal 8 strength damage? (The way I read it they would, but I want to be sure because that seems rather...powerful.)

Jasdoif
2007-05-03, 09:14 PM
A359

Yes. Crippling Strike doesn't cause a temporary Strength penalty. It causes Strength damage, which stacks with separate instances of Strength damage as easily as two hits from the same sword stack for hit point damage.

Stephen_E
2007-05-04, 02:34 AM
Q360

Precocious Apprentice. I got in a disagreement recently with someone as to how the feat should work and the question of RAW came up. Now I'm not interested in debating here how the feat "Should" work (I have my own views and they aren't RAW) but in how the feat works by RAW. I ask this because to my eye the feat is very bizzarre and dodgy per RAW.

Precocious Apprentice
Your master has shown you the basics of a spell beyond the normal limits of your experiance and training.
Prereq: Spellcasting ability (Int orCha) 15. arcane caster lev 1st.
Benefit: Choose one 2nd-lev spell from a School of magic you have access to. You gain an extra 2nd-lev spell slot that must be used initially to cast only the chosen spell. Until your level is high enough to allow you to cast 2nd-lev spells, you must succeed on a DC 8 caster lev check to successfully cast the spell; if you fail, the spell is miscast to no effect. Your caster lev with the chosen spell is your normal caster lev, even if this lev is insufficient to cast the spell under normal circunstances.

When you become able to cast 2nd-lev spells, you lose the benefit described above but retain the extra 2nd-lev spell slot, which you can use to prepare or spontaneously cast a spell of 2nd lev or lower as you normally would.

Finally you gain a +2 bonus on all spellcraft checks.
Special: You can take this feat only as a 1st-lev character.

Points to consider:-
1) Does this allow you to take a 2nd lev divine spell of a school of magic you have access to. i.e. can a generalist Wiz take Flame Blade, a 2nd lev Druid spell of the Evocation school (a school the Wiz has access to).
2) Are spell slot "typed" Arcane/Divine, and if so does the spell you select for this slot "type" it.
3) In the 2nd para it says when you're able to cast 2nd lev spells the benefit changes. Does having a 2nd-lev Pearl of Power, allowing you to cast your 2nd lev spell given by the feat twice, constitute "cast 2nd lev spells" or is it restricted to the previous mention "until your lev is high enough to allow you to cast 2nd lev spells".
4) If spell slots are "typed" and you took a Arcane 2nd lev spell, and then gained 2nd lev casting ability with Divine spells, can the spell slot change type, or does it remain a 2nd lev Arcane spell slot.
5) If you took a Divine spell and then gained the ability to cast 2nd lev arcane spells, would you lose the ability to cast the divine spell.

Have fun. This should be an interesting test of peoples ability to operate by RAW, and I'll be interested if people come up with the same answers I did, or can come up with an answer where I was left scrtaching my head.

Stephen

Jasdoif
2007-05-04, 03:29 AM
A360

The wording on the feat is awfully suspect. However, I feel you cannot use a divine spell with the feat under normal circumstances.

The key is that using the spell slot requires a caster level check. Since the arcane caster level prereq only provides arcane spellcasting through its class, you don't have a caster level for any divine class, and thus can't make a caster level check to use the slot. The feat states no exception to this.

The feat also states no ability to move the spell slot to another class, so even if you take a level in cleric, you can't move the added spell slot to your cleric casting, any more then a cleric/ranger could decide to move his cleric slots to his ranger casting.

As a result, you would never be able to use that spell slot if it's divine. More generally, the spell slot must be for the caster class you took at 1st level to qualify for the feat.

The feat doesn't allow you to add a new spell to your class spell list either, so you can't cast a spell that isn't on your spell list.

EDIT: The mention of "2nd-level spells" for losing the benefit isn't specific, however the sentence goes on to say that you can use the slot to "prepare or spontaneously cast a spell of 2nd lev or lower as you normally would." Implying that the 2nd-level spells is referring to the casting ability in the specific caster class you used, as there is still no exception to being able to move the slot to where you could use it.

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2007-05-04, 03:42 AM
A. 360

The feat is reasonably clear and straightforward unless you decide to ignore all context and take an extremely literal approach.

Choose one 2nd-level spell from a school of magic you have access to. You gain an extra 2nd-level spell slot that must be used initially to cast only the chosen spell.

The 2nd level spell slot is not specified as being from your spell list or even an arcane spell.
Considering that this feat represents specialized training with an experienced arcanist, this should not really give any interpretation problems.

Ignoring all implicit assumptions and the context we take a look only at the actual text, RAW, as you requested.

Since there is no restrictions on the 2nd level spell (apart from school access) nothing prevents us from choosing a divine spell.

However, as an arcane caster we cannot prepare (or spontaneously cast) divine spells, so we cannot fill our empty 2nd-level slot and thus never really put it to good use.

Edit: Nice ninja move Jasdoif!
You can have these chewed popcorn now, since I only crunch for the texture and have no taste for flavor :smalltongue:

See I am not that evil :smallwink:

squishycube
2007-05-04, 03:48 AM
A360

Addition:
Silvanos is obviously right about the context and literal approach. But as I don't have any context aside from what was posted and I think it's funny anyway to crunch the feat. Feats deserve to be written a lot better than this one was and crunching a feat to death is one sure way of mocking the designer.

What I'd houserule for this feat is some common sense:
- Arcane only
- Must be on spell list
This should eliminate all questions you put us up against
end addition.

Well, here's my take on this RAW matter:

1) Does this allow you to take a 2nd lev divine spell of a school of magic you have access to. i.e. can a generalist Wiz take Flame Blade, a 2nd lev Druid spell of the Evocation school (a school the Wiz has access to).
- I think it does

2) Are spell slot "typed" Arcane/Divine, and if so does the spell you select for this slot "type" it.
- This presents a problem. There are spells which can be either cast as divine or arcane. It's not a long shot to say that when an arcane caster gets acces to a divine spell somehow that caster will cast it as an arcane spell. (Note: There is another precedent, but it is not core: The Archivist class from Heroes of Horror can cast any spell eventually. He casts them all as arcane spells. I am not entirely sure about this and can't check as I am AFB though.)
If you decide that the spell remains it type and you select a divine spell you won't ever be able to cast it, like Jasdoif said.

3) In the 2nd para it says when you're able to cast 2nd lev spells the benefit changes. Does having a 2nd-lev Pearl of Power, allowing you to cast your 2nd lev spell given by the feat twice, constitute "cast 2nd lev spells" or is it restricted to the previous mention "until your lev is high enough to allow you to cast 2nd lev spells".
- I'd say it doesn't work before you reach the caster level to cast 2nd level spell because the description of the Pearl of Power says: "a pearl of power enables the possessor to recall any one spell that she had prepared and then cast." You don't really do this, because it is the same spell always, you can't choose.
When you become able to cast 2nd level spells for real, the PoP should work for the spell from the feat too.
This is very much interpretation territory though.

4) If spell slots are "typed" and you took a Arcane 2nd lev spell, and then gained 2nd lev casting ability with Divine spells, can the spell slot change type, or does it remain a 2nd lev Arcane spell slot.
- I think no, because spell lists are kept separate if you have multiple casting classes.

5) If you took a Divine spell and then gained the ability to cast 2nd lev arcane spells, would you lose the ability to cast the divine spell.
- I think in the light of my answers, this question is moot but it could be relevant if different interpretations would be used previously. I'll try to answer it anyway.
I'd say the answer is yes, because the spell wouldn't be on your spell list and therefor you wouldn't be able to prepare it.

crinkle
2007-05-04, 04:34 AM
Q 361

Dispelling Astral Constructs and Ecto Protection.

The SRD Dispel Psionics power description states:
"If an object or creature that is the effect of an ongoing power is in the area, you can make a dispel check to end the power that created that object or construct in addition to attempting to dispel powers targeting the creature or object."

The SRD Ecto Protection power description states:
"This power reinforces an astral construct created by the astral construct power, giving you a +1 bonus on any manifester level checks you make to protect it against dispel psionics or a similar effect, and a +1 bonus on its saving throw to resist dismiss ectoplasm."

My question is: what's with this "manifester level check" to protect an astral construct? The dispel psionics description seems to suggest only a ML check on the part of the dispeller, and I can't find any mention elsewhere of ML checks to prevent dispelling.

Thanks for the help.

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2007-05-04, 04:51 AM
A. 361

It is not really a check, but the dispeller opposes what you might call a passive check (DC 11+ ML).(You take 11 instead of rolling as the "defender")

So if you are protected with effects such as Ecto Protection the DC incraeses by 1 for the dispeller.

Manifester Level
... In the event that a class feature or other special ability provides an adjustment to your manifester level, this adjustment applies not only to all effects based on manifester level (such as range, duration, and augmentation potential) but also to your manifester level check to overcome your target’s power resistance and to the manifester level used in dispel checks (both the dispel check and the DC of the check).

Maxymiuk
2007-05-04, 02:48 PM
Q 362

Can armor spikes be used interchangeably (as an off-hand attack) with blows from a quarterstaff while employing TWF?

Asmodeus
2007-05-04, 02:54 PM
A 362

Yes, you can. See the Bold quote below.

Armor Spikes

You can have spikes added to your armor, which allow you to deal extra piercing damage (see Table: Weapons (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/equipment/weapons.htm#tableWeapons)) on a successful grapple (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/combat/specialAttacks.htm#grapple) attack. The spikes count as a martial weapon (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/equipment/weapons.htm#simpleMartialandExoticWeapons). If you are not proficient (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/combat/combatModifiers.htm#weaponArmorAndShieldProficienc y) with them, you take a -4 penalty on grapple checks (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/combat/specialAttacks.htm#grappleChecks) when you try to use them. You can also make a regular melee attack (or off-hand attack) with the spikes, and they count as a light weapon in this case. (You can’t also make an attack with armor spikes if you have already made an attack with another off-hand weapon, and vice versa.)
An enhancement bonus (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/theBasics.htm#enhancementBonus) to a suit of armor does not improve the spikes’ effectiveness, but the spikes can be made into magic weapons in their own right.

brian c
2007-05-04, 03:07 PM
A 362

Yes, you can. See the Bold quote below.

However if you were TWF-ing by using the quarterstaff as a double weapon, the rules clearly state, in the next sentence after the bolded one, that you cannot additionally make an attack with armor spikes.

Basically, you can only have one "off-hand" attack in a given round, unless of course you have more than the standard number of arms, or a prehensile tail. Also, Monks can use attacks from many different sources in a single full attack and/or flurry, as long as those sources are all parts of their body and one (and only one) monk special weapon.

I hope that's clear and that I haven't misspoken about the monk attacks.

Sampi
2007-05-04, 03:17 PM
Q 363

Do intelligent weapons count as their alignment for purposes of overcoming damage reduction?

Jasdoif
2007-05-04, 03:22 PM
A363

Not solely by virtue of their alignment, no.

Simply having an alignment isn't sufficient for overcoming damage reduction with your attacks, you need to have a corresponding type of damage reduction of your own; which weapons don't normally have.

Fax Celestis
2007-05-04, 03:23 PM
A363 Not that I am aware of, no.

Fax Celestis
2007-05-04, 06:53 PM
Q364 If a creature has two breath weapons (say, by being a half-dragon dragon shaman), does the recharge rate apply to one or both? Are there any other idiosyncrasies associated with having two breath weapons?

Q365 If a creature with vulnerability acquires immunity to that particular element, what happens?

Jasdoif
2007-05-04, 07:03 PM
A364

I would say they're bound to the same recharging time, like true dragons are when they have multiple breath weapons.

A365

The creature takes no damage from such effects. 0% of 150% is 0.

Winged One
2007-05-04, 07:04 PM
A365
The immunity supercedes the vulnerability. Both multiply the damage by a set ammount, but as immunity multiplies it by 0, it comes out as 0 damage no matter what order you put it in.

UserClone
2007-05-04, 08:17 PM
Q366
I am quite certain that one never incurs an XP penalty for multiclassing into a prestige class, but where in the core rules is this stated? I cannot seem to find it in the DMG, the most logical place to look.

Jasdoif
2007-05-04, 08:24 PM
A366

You are correct, prestige classes don't cause XP penalties. It was supposed to be in the DMG, but was erroneously forgotten, as mentioned in the FAQ.

In the previous version of the D&D game, having levels in a prestige class never caused you to pay the experience penalty for being a multiclass character without uneven class levels. (The prestige class levels didn’t count when checking to see if you had a penalty.) The section on prestige classes in the new Dungeon Master’s Guide no longer mentions that you don’t suffer an experience penalty for having levels in a prestige class. Is this a change or an error?

It’s an error. Having levels in a prestige class won’t give you an experience penalty.

Tyrael
2007-05-05, 05:10 AM
Q367

Are bedrolls strictly necessary for sleeping? Do they ward off any penalties that might otherwise be accrued from sleeping without a bedroll?

Shiny, Bearer of the Pokystick
2007-05-05, 08:09 AM
Q368
Per RAW- that is, putting aside 'creative interpretations' or custom-built creations- is there any method whereby the suite of weapons to which Weapon Finesse can be applied can be expanded; perhaps a Feat, Weapon Enhancement, or Class Feature?
If so, what would be the source of said method, and its general nature?

Fax Celestis
2007-05-05, 01:07 PM
A367 Sleeping without a bedroll makes you fatigued in the morning, just as sleeping in armor does.

Pauwel
2007-05-05, 01:32 PM
Q369: Instead of a metamagic rod, could one theoretically have, for instance, a metamagic robe?

Jasdoif
2007-05-05, 01:35 PM
A368

I'm not aware of a general ability to that effect...however, a Dervish has the ability to treat a scimitar as a light weapon for all purposes, which would include making one valid for Weapon Finesse.

You could also make use of weapons sized for smaller creatures. Though you take a penalty to attack rolls in that case, if your Dexterity is sufficiently higher then your Strength you would ahead on attack rolls through Weapon Finesse. A one-handed weapon sized for a creature one size smaller then you is a light weapon for you (with a -2 penalty); and a two-handed weapon sized for a creature two sizes smaller then you is a light weapon for you (with a -4 penalty).

Vazzaroth
2007-05-05, 02:05 PM
Q. 369

Would it be reasonalbe to rule that a darkeness effect cast at night in a storm would change from partial concealment to total concealment effect?

brian c
2007-05-05, 02:24 PM
Q. 369

Would it be reasonalbe to rule that a darkeness effect cast at night in a storm would change from partial concealment to total concealment effect?

A. 370 (there was already a 369)

I don't think that magic darkness is supposed to "stack" with non-magical darkness like that. However, since your question is about houseruling it, if you think it's reasonable (or if your DM does if that isn't you) then go for it. It's up to the DM really. I myself wouldn't rule that though.

Fax Celestis
2007-05-05, 02:26 PM
A369 Yes, but remember to multiply price accordingly for a nonassociated item slot (which I believe is *1.5).

Jasdoif
2007-05-05, 02:28 PM
Q. 369

Would it be reasonalbe to rule that a darkeness effect cast at night in a storm would change from partial concealment to total concealment effect?That's Q370, actually.

A370

RAW, no. Darkness (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/darkness.htm) creates shadowy illumination and prevents further brightening, it doesn't totally eliminate light. In fact, you could cast darkness in a condition of total darkness, and you would be able to see from the shadowy illumination it provides.

Sutremaine
2007-05-05, 05:54 PM
A368
Feycraft template (DMGII).

Light weapons allow you to use Dex for attack rolls even if you don't have Weapon Finesse, and one-handed weapons become usable with the Weapon Finesse feat. Two-handed weapons can't be feycraft.

Liliedhe
2007-05-06, 03:02 AM
Q371

Is a Druid/Barbarian class combination possible?

Amiria
2007-05-06, 03:53 AM
A371

Natürlich. But the character is restricted to the following four alignment options if he wants to keep all of his class features:

Chaotic Neutral, Neutral, Neutral Good, Neutral Evil

Shhalahr Windrider
2007-05-06, 07:03 AM
A 364
If they are from different sources, they would be tracked seperately. No different than one weapon having a recharge time and another being at will. (Such as a Dragon Shaman/Dragonfire Adept).

If items have recharge times, they would only share the same time when it is explicitly stated that they do.

A367 Sleeping without a bedroll makes you fatigued in the morning, just as sleeping in armor does.
Can you give a source on that? The description of bedrolls in the PH include no such rule. Indeed, the entire description seems to have been deemed fluff, since there is no description of bedrolls in the SRD—having the item only included in the gear price and weight table.

RMS Oceanic
2007-05-06, 07:15 AM
Q 372
Since a Half-Elf counts as an Elf for "all affects related to Race" (Player's Handbook 18), could he select Improved Weapon Familiarity from Complete Warrior and thus be proficient with the Elven Light/Thin/Courtblade?

Skjaldbakka
2007-05-06, 07:19 AM
Q 373
How does a minor image interact with Scent? I know it doesn't have a scent, but ... . ok, here is the specific example that I need a ruling on:

One of my players is being mauled by a bear, and so the party's illusionist created a minor image of a bigger bear to chase it off. Does the fact it doesn't have a scent negate the illusion or does it just give it the necessary evidence to make a Will save against the illusion? And does the bear get a bonus on the Will save to tell it isn't real, since it has no scent?

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2007-05-06, 10:11 AM
A. 372

Considering that Half-elves do not receive the racial weapon proficiency of elves and the fact that weapons training probably is not an effect related to the blood I would lean towards a no.

However, the case could be argued under the widest definition of "effects related to race".

Asmodeus
2007-05-06, 10:14 AM
A 373

This is really a DM's call. I don't see anything in the RAW that addressed this specifically. However, you may find guidance in an Article by Skip Williams on the official D&D site about interacting with illusions (http://wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/rg/20060221a).

Basically, if you think that the lack of scent is significant enough of an interaction, then the real bear is allowed a saving throw. If its not significant enough to make the bear go 'Hmm... I wonder why that bear doesn't smell like bear?' then no will save is allowed.

If you do decide that you want to allow a saving throw, its also your call if you think a bonus is appropriate for the saving through. There is no rule in the RAW relating to it. However, if you like realism in your campaign, you should consider that a bear's sense of smell is often its primary sense. Bears are more likely to trust their nose than their eyes. Most bears have poor vision, while a bear's sense of smell is at least a hundred times better than a humans.

It does not appear to qualify for an Automatic Disbelief though.

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2007-05-06, 10:21 AM
A. 373

The illusion is not negated, but the bear gets a will save to disbelieve it.

The bear will probably be rather puzzled about this scentless bear. Whether that is enough to scare it away probably depends on how hungry the creature is and what you find reasonable to as a DM and a bear.

Fax Celestis
2007-05-06, 12:27 PM
Can you give a source on that? The description of bedrolls in the PH include no such rule. Indeed, the entire description seems to have been deemed fluff, since there is no description of bedrolls in the SRD—having the item only included in the gear price and weight table.

I apparently am wrong, though I could have sworn that that was indeed the case.

Jalil
2007-05-06, 02:45 PM
Q374Can one 'take 10' on Caster level check?

Asmodeus
2007-05-06, 02:49 PM
A 374

No. (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/skills/usingSkills.htm#checksWithoutRolls)

Ability Checks and Caster Level Checks

The normal take 10 and take 20 rules apply for ability checks. Neither rule applies to caster level checks.

brian c
2007-05-06, 03:41 PM
Q374Can one 'take 10' on Caster level check?

A 374

Not normally, but there is a feat that allows this. Arcane Mastery, from Complete Arcane, lets you take 10 on caster level checks, even when under stress. It's a pretty powerful effect though, and I've heard of people banning it (strong because of overcoming spell resistance)

Pauwel
2007-05-07, 08:02 AM
Q 375

The githzerai has psi-like abilities printed like this:

3/day - catfall, intertial armor, concussion blast, psionic daze

Does that mean that I can manifest each of the powers three times a day seperately or can I only use any of the abilities thrice a day?

Example: In a single day, Dak'Kon-Clone uses his catfall ability twice, his inertial armor ability two times and his concussion blast once. Possible or impossible?

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2007-05-07, 08:05 AM
A. 375

You can use each of those powers 3 times per day.

Asmodeus
2007-05-07, 01:12 PM
Q 376

Are Warforged with Adamantine body, or other Body Armor warforged feats considered automatically proficient with the armor they are wearing, since its a part of their body?

Shhalahr Windrider
2007-05-07, 01:18 PM
A 376

Although they all an armor bonus and have similar restrictions to normal armor, neither Composite Plating, nor Mithral Body, nor Adamantine Body, appear to be considered a proper type of armor. They are racial features or feat benefits, not equipment. As such proficiency is not required nor are nonproficiency penalties levied.

Jasdoif
2007-05-07, 01:22 PM
...I'm pretty sure Shhalahr's answer was supposed to be A376. Anyway, since we're here....

A376 further reference

The FAQ explicitly addresses this question.
Does a warforged with the Adamantine Body feat need to have Heavy Armor Proficiency in order to avoid suffering penalties for wearing heavy armor?
No. The Adamantine Body feat resembles heavy armor in many ways, but it doesn’t require you to have any special proficiency.

Meat Shield
2007-05-08, 11:08 AM
Q377:

I'm pretty sure I know the answer, but wanted to be sure. Would a pixie warlock be able to stack the damage reduction from being a pixie (DR10/cold iron) and warlock (DR1+/cold iron)?

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2007-05-08, 11:14 AM
A. 377

Damage Reduction does not stack, it overlaps (unless specifically mentioned otherwise).

Meat Shield
2007-05-08, 11:16 AM
That's what I figured. Thanks All-Knowing Eye Tyrant!

squishycube
2007-05-08, 04:28 PM
A377 But keep in mind...
Different DR's might be negated by different attacks. If one of the DR's is negated, another might still reduce the damage.

Jasdoif
2007-05-08, 04:56 PM
That's what I figured. Thanks All-Knowing Eye Tyrant!Just be careful when it comes to his popcorn. :smalltongue:

Q378

If you attempt to resurrect someone with true resurrection (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/trueResurrection.htm) without access to remains, and fail because the soul is unwilling to return, are the spell and its material component still expended? And if so, do you retain the spell's charge as normal for a touch spell in this case?

estradling
2007-05-08, 05:01 PM
Q 379

How do you figure out how long a Warlock Invocations last if it is not given in the descriptive text? For example Fell Flight says it last 24 hours. Entropic Warding doesn't say anything, so how long does it last?

Fax Celestis
2007-05-08, 05:03 PM
A378 The spell is expended without effect, and you do not retain the charge. Further, the material components are expended. A failed spell is still cast, it is just unsuccessful.

Comparably, if your target succeeds on their saving throw, or if you fail to overcome spell resistance, the spell is cast but fails. Material components are still expended, and it leaves your memory.

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2007-05-08, 05:28 PM
A. 379

Warlock Invocations follow the duration of the spells they emulate.

This particular question was actually addressed by the official FAQ, so I will refer to that.

When a warlock’s invocation emulates two different spell effects with different durations (such as with entropic warding), what duration should the invocation use?

Apply each duration separately, just as the spell emulated by the invocation. A 10th-level warlock who uses entropic warding gains the entropic shield effect for 10 minutes, but gains the pass without trace effect for 10 hours. (Since the warlock can use his invocations at will, this duration isn’t really significant unless he’s somehow prevented from using the invocation again.)

Just be careful when it comes to his popcorn. :smalltongue:

You should all make a note of that :smallwink:

But otherwise glad if I can help...

Alveanerle
2007-05-09, 01:45 AM
Q. 380a

Is it possible to identify wand type on a spellcraft check?

Q. 380b

If so, what's the DC?

Q. 380c

If no, is there any way to identify wand type without casting identify spell?

Q. 380d

Can an unidentified wand be used to crash-test it?

Jasdoif
2007-05-09, 02:35 AM
Going to answer all those in a block here :smalltongue:

A380

There's an epic usage of Spellcraft that allows you to identify magic items. The "basic" version has the same effect as if you had cast identify on the item, and has a DC of 50 + the item's caster level. If you aren't playing epic, that's likely out of reach.

You could also attempt a DC 25 Use Magic Device check to activate the item blindly if you don't know what spell is in it, and the FAQ states that once you succeed on this check you know what spell is contained in it, so you could use the item normally from then on (or only need a DC 20 UMD check to activate it, if it turns out the spell isn't on your list). Remember that you can't use UMD untrained.

Really, though, identify (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/identify.htm) or analyze dweomer (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/analyzeDweomer.htm) are made precisely for determining the properties of magic items, they're probably the best to use. If you can't do so yourself, hiring an NPC spellcaster to cast identify for you costs 110gp (or if you can find a cleric with the magic domain, only 60gp).