PDA

View Full Version : Simple Q&A (By the RAW) II

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6

Roland St. Jude
2007-02-26, 11:39 PM
(This is a fairly high procedure thread; please read the entire instructions carefully before posting. Thanks.)

Ever have a simple, straight-forward rules question that you can’t figure out the answer to? Ask it here. No question is too simple. No more worrying about whether your question is “worth” starting a thread. Ask here and receive an answer. You are, of course, welcome to start a thread for your question, and if you think your question is subject to many interpretations or will start a debate, you are encouraged to start a new thread for it.

This thread will serve as a catch-all for simple, discreet questions that can be answered quickly according to the RAW (Rules As Written).

If your question is about real world weapons and armor ask it here (http://www.giantitp.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.pl?board=gaming;action=display;num=1149238581 ;start=0#0).
If your question is about homebrew rulings start a thread here (http://www.giantitp.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.pl?board=homebrew).
If you are looking for the meaning of an acronym or abbreviation look here (http://www.giantitp.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.pl?board=gaming;action=display;num=1121064702 ;start=0#0).
You may want to skim the old Q&A thread to see if your question has already been asked and answered here (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=18288).

The Procedure:

Do:
Label your questions with bold Q#s.
Label your answers with the bold Q# that you are responding to and/or quote the question.
Be sure that your answer is correct before you post it; if you are the least bit uncertain, just let it pass and get the next one.
Try to give your answers in as clear and straightforward terms as possible.
Feel free to quote or link to relevant rules in the SRD, Errata, or FAQ that supports your answer. (You may want to give your answer and then modify it to add support – otherwise someone else may answer while you’re assembling yours.)
Specify if your question is for a system other than D&D (the default for this thread).

Don’t:
Ask Homebrew rules questions here.
Ask trick questions or attempt to “stump the panel,” so to speak.
Answer a question that’s already been answered.
Offer contradictions, clarifications, exceptions, or extensions of prior answers unless, in your opinion, the answer give is plainly and completely wrong.
Post to debate the answers given.
Post to carry on other conversations whether tangentially related or wholly unrelated.

Dispute Resolution Procedure:
If you dispute someone’s answer – meaning that they got it wrong in a critical fashion – post your answer and suggest that the original questioner start a thread to discuss it further if they want it hashed out.
If someone disputes your answer, don’t respond. Just wait to see if the original questioner starts a new thread to discuss it.
If your question leads to a disputed answer, start a new thread if you’d like it discussed further.

Here are some sample questions. “Bad” questions just mean they should be asked in their own thread where you can get many answers and opinions. “Good” questions just mean that these are the types of questions that are amenable to a quick straightforward answer (probably).

Sample “Bad” Questions:
How do I play D&D? (Great question, but not for this thread.)
What is a good 10 level TWF build? (Far too broad and requires much opinion)
What +2 LA race should I take for my sorcerer build? (Again, an opinion question)
Which is better GURPS or D&D?

Sample “Good” Questions:
Q.1. Are there any Large +0 LA races?
Q.2. As a sorcerer/rogue, do I get to add sneak attack damage to my attack spells?
Q.3 What effect would Dispel Magic have on a golem or similar construct?
Q.4. Is there a feat that allows me to get a familiar?
Q.5. Where can I find this “Initiate of the Sevenfold Veil” everyone is talking about?
Q.6. What is GURPS?

{The first version of this thread seemed to run pretty efficiently, but if you have any comments about how this thread could be improved please PM me.}

Velvet Elvis
2007-02-27, 02:25 AM
Q 001

Is there anything in RAW that places conditions on certain types of creatures and their ability to hover/fly backwards based on their method of flight?

I.e. a dire bat flying backwards or hovering in place is rather unlikely, but that is apparently conferred as it has a good maneuverability rating.

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2007-02-27, 04:16 AM
A. 001

Unless otherwise noted in their description, it is determined by their maneuverability rating.

Hovering or moving backwards requires good or perfect maneuverability.

Feats can help improve your aerial performance and maneuverability.

Maxymiuk
2007-02-27, 04:44 AM
Q 002

How often can the Blighter PrC from Complete Divine use his Blightfire ability?

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2007-02-27, 04:49 AM
A. 002

As often as the Blighter can take a Standard action. There is no daily limit.

(Or rather, assuming 14400 rounds a day, the limit is 14400/day)

Ryuuk
2007-02-27, 03:33 PM
Q 003

The Dragon Shaman's Touch of Vitality says "Each day you can heal a number of points of damage equal to twice your class level x your Charisma Bonus", how many could you heal if your modifier was 0 or a penalty?

Zherog
2007-02-27, 03:41 PM
Q 003

The Dragon Shaman's Touch of Vitality says "Each day you can heal a number of points of damage equal to twice your class level x your Charisma Bonus", how many could you heal if your modifier was 0 or a penalty?

None. A bonus isn't a penalty. If you have a -1 Charisma mod, it's a penalty, and - by extension - you have no Charisma bonus.

Shhalahr Windrider
2007-02-27, 03:44 PM
A 003

Since you have no bonus, it appears you would be unable to use the Touch of Vitality ability at all.

My advice: get a Charisma of at least 12.

Velvet Elvis
2007-02-27, 11:24 PM
Q 004

Are there any RAW rules governing/defining modifiers for situations where multiple creatures must, for some reason, occupy the same 5' square? Specifically small and medium sized characters, and who are healthy (i.e. not disabled in any important way) and not grappling. I understand the default of moving the "invading" character to the nearest unoccupied square, but in some cases that is either impossible (there aren't any), or preposterous (nearest is 50' away, for instance).

Thx.

Shhalahr Windrider
2007-02-27, 11:26 PM
A 004

That would best be represented by the squeezing rules (http://www.systemreferencedocuments.org/35/sovelior_sage/movement.html#squeezing).

The PHB even uses an example of one creature squeezing past another in confined quarters.

Burk
2007-02-27, 11:49 PM
Q 005

If a creature whose attack only does ability damage has levels in rogue, would the sneak attack damage be hit point damage or more ability damage?

Shhalahr Windrider
2007-02-27, 11:57 PM
A 005

It would be reflected through hit point damage.

This answer is an extension of the guidelines given in All About Sneak Attacks (Part Four) (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/rg/20040309a) on the WotC website.

marjan
2007-02-28, 10:21 AM
Q005 Are there any feats aside from Improved Trip/Disarm that can improve your Trip/Disarm attempts? If there are in which books are they?

Fax Celestis
2007-02-28, 10:54 AM
Q006 Is someone going to create a FAQ from the last Q&A thread?

The J Pizzel
2007-02-28, 11:07 AM
Q 007
Monkey Grip allows someone to use a weapon one size category "bigger then they are" at a -2 penalty. Ony of my players is playing a Half-Giant weilding a great axe. Now, for being a half-giant he is a large category for purposes of weilding weapons and grapple and all that stuff, but he is still technically a Medium creature. Does this mean that he can use large weapons with no penalty (due to being a Half-Giant) and Monkey Grip will allow him to use Huge weapons at a -2 penalty? Or not because Monkey Grip allows you to use a weapon one size category larger than YOU are, not one size category larger than what you can already use? Since he is still a Medium, should Monkey Grip only allow Large weapons? Isn't this a digression for a race such as a Half-Giant?

jp

ampcptlogic
2007-02-28, 11:12 AM
Q008

Do templates acquired after character creation change the LA of a creature?

Maclav
2007-02-28, 11:47 AM
A 007
Monkey grip does not stack with powerful build. He is still a medium sized creature and monkey grip only applies to weapons one size cat larger (large in this case).

Zherog
2007-02-28, 11:48 AM
Q 007>>snip<<

Monkey Grip and Powerful build both (essentially) do the same thing - they allow you to wield a weapon one size larger than you are. Those last three words are the really important ones. Neither allows you to wield a weapon larger than you normally can.

In the case of your half-giant (and a goliath, and any other race with Powerful Build), Power Build allows you to use Large weapons with no penalty; Monkey Grip allows you to use Large weapons with a -2 penalty.

In conclusion: spend your feat on something else. ;)

Roland St. Jude
2007-02-28, 11:52 AM
Q006 Is someone going to create a FAQ from the last Q&A thread?

A.006 This question cannot be answered by the RAW. :smallamused:

More seriously, I'm not sure what you mean by a "FAQ" - questions should, theoretically, not be asked more than once (let alone frequently) within the same thread - so there should be no frequently asked questions. If you mean an index of all the questions from the last thread, the answer is probably not. I don't view it as worth the time investment to keep an index of all the questions and answers. If someone wanted to volunteer, they are welcome to do so.

Zherog
2007-02-28, 11:53 AM
Q008

Do templates acquired after character creation change the LA of a creature?

Yes, the LA still works normally.

There's generally three ways to handle it. For our example, we'll take a character who is acquiring the Celestial template (+2 LA).

1) The character gains all the benefits of the template now, essentially pushing his ECL two ahead of the party. For a while he'll be more powerful than the rest of the party, but in two levels they'll catch up.
2) Don't allow the character to gain any abilities from the template until he/she has earned enough XP to level twice. Then give the benefits of the template.
3) Build a level advancement for the template, and have the PC take "levels" in celestial for the next two levels. Basically, you determine how many levels you need (2 in our example), and you split the abilities up among those two levels. The PC then must spend his/her next two class levels on these.

I like option 3 the best; option 2 is a way screw your PC, and I don't recommend it (but, unfortunately, I've heard of people using it).

If you need help with a level progression, it's a great topic for a new thread.

edit: and I have a "procedural" question for Roland. I just realized that had you not answered the FAQ question, I would've double posted. Is it better (for this thread) to put multiple answers in one post, or is this thread a sort of exception to the double (or even triple) post rule so that answers are nice and neat?

ampcptlogic
2007-02-28, 12:00 PM
Yes, the LA still works normally.

There's generally three ways to handle it. For our example, we'll take a character who is acquiring the Celestial template (+2 LA).

Thanks. You read my mind. Sort of. The character is an Aasimar and might turn into a Celestial, given enough time. I might start that thread if it looks like the game will survive.

Roland St. Jude
2007-02-28, 12:08 PM
<snip>

edit: and I have a "procedural" question for Roland. I just realized that had you not answered the FAQ question, I would've double posted. Is it better (for this thread) to put multiple answers in one post, or is this thread a sort of exception to the double (or even triple) post rule so that answers are nice and neat?

You can do whatever you feel is clearer. Feel free to combine answers into a single post or separate them into different posts to enhance clarity.

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2007-02-28, 06:14 PM
A. 005

There are few feats that does what you are looking for. There are a couple that does the opposite and some that does something related.

I do not know if this is any help to you:

Trip

- Gore Toss (Dragon #313) gives a free trip attempt on a successful gore attack.

- Knockdown (Deities and Demigods, Sword and Fist) knocks opponents down.

- Tail Sweep Knockdown (Draconomicon) knocks opponents down.

- Knockdown Power (Complete Psionics) knocks opponents down.

- Curling Wave Strike (Stormwrack) allows you to make multiple trip attempts against different foes.

- Improvised Trip Attack (Dragon #295) allows for tripping with thrown weapons.

Disarm

- Double Weapon Disarm (Dragon #309) bonus on disarm with double weapon.

- Ranged Disarm (Complete Warrior), as the name.

- Snatch Weapon (Song and Silence), snatch it after a successful disarm.

Anti-Trip & -Disarm

- Combat Stability (PH II) protects against trip and disarm attempts

- Cunning Sidestep (Draconomicon) allows you to try and avoid being tripped.

Edit:
Hopefully this puny attempt to offer my assistance has brought attention to your question, so someone else might be able to offer more insights.

Deckmaster
2007-02-28, 10:47 PM
Q009

If I start a campaign with characters not at first level, how many GPs of equipment should they have?

I'm aware that there is a table for this in the DMG, but I don't have one. It's not in the SRD; I guess it doesn't qualify as Open Game Content.

Zherog
2007-02-28, 11:06 PM
Q009

If I start a campaign with characters not at first level, how many GPs of equipment should they have?

I'm aware that there is a table for this in the DMG, but I don't have one. It's not in the SRD; I guess it doesn't qualify as Open Game Content.

Correct - that table isn't open content, so we can't share it.

WotC assumes characters have magic weapons by level 3, or 4 at the latest. So that's something you'll want to keep in mind when determining how much cash. Armor should be about the same level - +1 or so. And they should certainly still be able to afford other minor stuff (potions, general equipment, small magic items, scrolls, and so on). Just put a little thought into what you might expect characters to have at certain levels, and you can probably back into a decent number for your own campaign.

You can do whatever you feel is clearer. Feel free to combine answers into a single post or separate them into different posts to enhance clarity.

Excellent. I know double or even triple posting is normally frowned upon around these parts; but I do think answering each question in a separate post makes things more readable. Glad I won't get smacked on the knuckles by a mod's ruler for it. :D

Ryuuk
2007-02-28, 11:13 PM
Q 010

Natural Bond (a feat in CAdv) gives you a +3 to your effective Druid Level. It says that that bonus cannot make your druid level exceed your character level. How would this work with the Beastmaster prestige class? (It stacks directly at BM level +3 to determine your Druid level for animal companions, but allows you to exceed your character level)

jlousivy
2007-02-28, 11:52 PM
Q 011

Theoreticly if a monsterous snake had a head at both ends could it flank with itself?

oriong
2007-02-28, 11:53 PM
A 010

It works exactly as stated, Natural Bond cannot make your Effective Druid Level higher than your character level. Beastmaster's ability does not suffer this restriction, but it does not remove it from Natural Bond.

Basically the +3 a beastmaster gets does not count as 'character levels', so Natural Bond will not have any effect if your current druid level is equal or higher than your current character level. Of course, the two bonuses do stack when both apply, so a Barbarian 6/Beastmaster 1 with Natural Bond will have an effective druid level of 7 (+4 from Beastmaster, +3 from Natural Bond), exactly equal to his character level.

crazedloon
2007-03-01, 12:18 AM
Q12

How does an Elan work as far as will save, hit dice, attack bonus, and skill points.

Its entry says its an Aberration and they have special stats, do you take the best of the stats from the aberration/class levels. I.e. if you have a better hit dice for the class level you take better class level hit dice but if you have a bad will save from your class you take the better aberration will save?

they can be found here (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/psionicRaces.htm#elans)

oriong
2007-03-01, 12:36 AM
A 11 (from jlousivy)

No, Flanking explicitly requires two seperate creatures. Multiple heads is not sufficient.

A 12 (from crazedloon)

No, Monster saves, hit dice, skills, etc. only apply to monster levels (in this case racial HD, of which the elan has none). Undead are the exception to this, and even then they only modify HD.

Beren One-Hand
2007-03-01, 01:21 AM
A 010

It works exactly as stated, Natural Bond cannot make your Effective Druid Level higher than your character level. Beastmaster's ability does not suffer this restriction, but it does not remove it from Natural Bond.

Basically the +3 a beastmaster gets does not count as 'character levels', so Natural Bond will not have any effect if your current druid level is equal or higher than your current character level. Of course, the two bonuses do stack when both apply, so a Barbarian 6/Beastmaster 1 with Natural Bond will have an effective druid level of 7 (+4 from Beastmaster, +3 from Natural Bond), exactly equal to his character level.

But is there a specified order they need to be applied in?
A Ranger 6/Beastmaster 1 would have a base effective druid level of 4, the +3 of Natural Bond would raise it to 7 then the +3 from the Beastmaster for a total of 10.
Or it could be:
A Ranger 6/Beastmaster 1 would have a base effective druid level of 4, the +3 of the Beastmaster would raise it to 7 then the +3 from the Natural Bond would raise it past HD so isn't used.

oriong
2007-03-01, 01:45 AM
A 10 continued

It doesn't matter, 'virtual levels' from Natural Bond can never cause your effective druid level to be above your character level.

iop
2007-03-01, 01:56 AM
Q 013

Augment Summoning says that the creature gets a bonus to Str and Con "For the duration of the spell that summoned it".
Does that mean that it won't work on (lesser) planar ally, whose duration is instantaneous?

oriong
2007-03-01, 02:01 AM
A 013

Augment summoning would not apply because it only affects summoning spells. Planar Ally is a Calling spell. The duration is another reason it wouldn't work as well.

daggaz
2007-03-01, 04:20 AM
Q. 014: Do clerics require a holy symbol to cast a spell? I can't find it anywhere in the SRD, and if so, where is it in the SRD?

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2007-03-01, 04:24 AM
A. 014

It is mentioned in the spell header under components whether one is needed for a particular spell.

It looks like this:

Components: DF
DF = Divine Focus

Divine Focus (DF): A divine focus component is an item of spiritual significance. The divine focus for a cleric or a paladin is a holy symbol appropriate to the character’s faith.
If the Components line includes F/DF or M/DF, the arcane version of the spell has a focus component or a material component (the abbreviation before the slash) and the divine version has a divine focus component (the abbreviation after the slash).

iop
2007-03-01, 11:12 AM
Q 015

If a creature has both vulnerability and resistance to the same element (see mummy lord for an example, who gets fire resistance from a ring), what is the order in which they are applied?

a) (damage - resistance)*1.5
b) damage*1.5 - resistance

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2007-03-01, 11:16 AM
A. 015

I would suggest b) based on the description of Vulnerabilities and Resistances.

Vulnerability makes you take 50 % extra damage.
Resistance allow you to ignore some of the damage you take.

However, the Sage disagrees and has decided that whatever order is most beneficial to the creature should apply when an order of operation is not spelled out.

If a monster has resistance and vulnerability to the same kind of damage (such as fire), which effect is applied first? And when does the saving throw come in?

Always roll a saving throw before applying any effects that would increase or reduce the damage dealt. For example, if a frost giant is struck by a fireball that would deal 35 points of damage, it would roll its Reflex save, then apply its vulnerability to fire after determining how much damage the fireball would normally deal. If the save failed, the frost giant would take 52 points of damage: 35 + one-half of 35 (17.5, rounded down to 17). A successful save would mean the frost giant suffered only 25 points of damage: one-half of 35 rounded down (17), plus one-half of 17 rounded down (8).
If the creature has both resistance and vulnerability to the same kind of damage, apply the resistance (which reduces the damage dealt by the effect) before applying the vulnerability (which increases the damage taken by the creature). For example, imagine our frost giant wore a ring of minor fire resistance (granting resistance to fire 10). If the save failed, the frost giant would take 37 points of fire damage: 35 (fireball) – 10 (resistance to fire 10) = 25, plus one-half of 25 (12.5, rounded down to 12). If the save succeeded, the frost giant would take only 10 points of damage: 17 (half damage from the fireball, rounded down) – 10 (resistance to fire 10) = 7, plus one-half of 7 (3.5, rounded down to 3).
As a general guideline, whenever the rules don’t stipulate an order of operations for special effects (such as spells or special abilities), you should apply them in the order that’s most beneficial to the creature. In the case of damage, this typically means applying any damage-reducing effects first, before applying any effects that would increase damage.

Vaniel
2007-03-01, 01:58 PM
Q16

With the spell Animate Dead, or even Create Undead... What can you make do the undead?

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2007-03-01, 02:14 PM
A. 016

Could you rephrase that question?

If you are asking what you can make the Undead do, the answer is anything you order them to do that they are capable of doing as long as they are under your control.
They follow your spoken commands to the best of their ability.

With Animate Dead the control of the Skeletons and Zombies is automatic.
With Create Undead the control is not automatic and you need to Command them before you can control them.

Vaniel
2007-03-01, 02:28 PM
Q16 (Rephrased)

What are the limits to what a controlled Undead, like a Zombie or a Skeleton, can do?

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2007-03-01, 02:40 PM
A. 016 Revisited

As I said; They follow your spoken commands to the best of their ability.

This is of course not very specific and subject to DM interpretation.

Zombies and Skeletons have 0 intelligence and 10 Wisdom, which means that commands must be simple and are followed to the letter. They have no ability to draw their own conclusions or make individual decisions.

They keep their sensory abilities to distinguish between different kinds of creatures.

This spell turns the bones or bodies of dead (file:///D:/Roleplaying/3rd%20Edition/SRD%203.5/abilitiesAndConditions.html#dead) creatures into undead skeletons or zombies that follow your spoken commands.
The undead can follow you, or they can remain in an area and attack any creature (or just a specific kind of creature) entering the place. They remain animated until they are destroyed. (A destroyed skeleton or zombie can’t be animated again.)

A skeleton does only what it is ordered to do. It can draw no conclusions of its own and takes no initiative. Because of this limitation, its instructions must always be simple. A skeleton attacks until destroyed.

Because of their utter lack of intelligence, the instructions given to a newly created zombie must be very simple.

squishycube
2007-03-01, 02:43 PM
Not Really A16
The many-eyed bookworm has answered your question as far as the RAW goes I think. Further than that, it is not really an RAW question. If you control the undead, they can do whatever the DM deems reasonable for them to be able to do...

cupkeyk
2007-03-01, 08:39 PM
I would change the wording from inability to insusceptibility to.

Stephen_E
2007-03-01, 10:46 PM
Q005 Are there any feats aside from Improved Trip/Disarm that can improve your Trip/Disarm attempts? If there are in which books are they?

A005 - The only answer I've seen missed this.
Exotic Weaponmaster - Complete Warrior pg 31.
The Exotic Weapon Stunt - Trip Attack, gives a +2 bonus to tripping if you're using an exotic trip weapon.

Stephen

jonnyjmboy
2007-03-01, 10:57 PM
Q17 --just for clarification, how fast does a dwarf fighter in medium armor get to move if he multiclasses one level of barbarian?

what if he's in heavy armor?

Rigeld2
2007-03-01, 11:02 PM
A17

Fast Movement (Ex (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/specialAbilities.htm#extraordinaryAbilities))

A barbarian’s land speed is faster than the norm for his race by +10 feet. This benefit applies only when he is wearing no armor, light armor, or medium armor and not carrying a heavy load. Apply this bonus before modifying the barbarian’s speed because of any load carried or armor worn.
So, 30 feet in No, Light, or Medium armor (since Dwarves arent slowed in Medium). 20 feet when wearing Heavy armor.

Stephen_E
2007-03-01, 11:02 PM
But is there a specified order they need to be applied in?
A Ranger 6/Beastmaster 1 would have a base effective druid level of 4, the +3 of Natural Bond would raise it to 7 then the +3 from the Beastmaster for a total of 10.
Or it could be:
A Ranger 6/Beastmaster 1 would have a base effective druid level of 4, the +3 of the Beastmaster would raise it to 7 then the +3 from the Natural Bond would raise it past HD so isn't used.

A010 further
Checking the effective Druid levels against total levels is the last thing you do before you get the final "Effective Druid level" for advancement purposes

1) Add together all levels that give Animal Companion levels.
2) Add Beastmaster bonus + any other non level limited bonuses (if applicable)
3) Add Natural Bons bonus + any other level limited bonuses (if applicable)
4) Subtract any penalties for Alternative Animal Companions (if applicable)
5) Check if the result is higher than your actual level. If it is, reduce level until your level is the same as your EDL or you are no longer using level limited bonuses, whichever occurs 1st.

Stephen

Shhalahr Windrider
2007-03-01, 11:03 PM
A 017

A dwarf's land speed remains unaltered while using medium or heavy armor.

A dwarf barbarian would have a land speed of 30 ft. thanks to the barbarian's Fast Movement class ability. Wearing Medium armor would not change that. The dwarf would still have a speed of 30 ft.

If the dwarf barbarian were to wear heavy armor, it would lose the benefit of the Fast Movement class ability, and therefore have a land speed of 20 ft.

Maxymiuk
2007-03-02, 02:26 PM
Q 018

If you're using a bastard sword without the exotic weapon proficiency, does it count as a one-handed or a two-handed weapon for the purpose of disarm and sunder attempts?

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2007-03-02, 02:30 PM
A. 018

What matters for Sunder and Disarm attempts is not the weapon's designation, but how it is used.
A one-handed or two-handed weapon used in both hands counts as a two-handed weapon for the purpose of Disarm and Sunder.
(Light weapons are an exception)

You can get a host of benefits from wielding a twohanded weapon, such as 1–1/2 times your Strength bonus on damage (and twice your damage bonus from the Power Attack feat) and a +4 bonus on your opposed attack roll if someone tries to disarm you. So when is a weapon “twohanded?” For example, a lance is a two-handed weapon, right? But you can wield it in one hand when you’re mounted. Since the weapons table shows that a lance is a two-handed weapon, I get all the two-handed benefits no matter how I wield the lance, right?

Wrong. Table 7–5 in the Player’s Handbook lists weapons as light, one-handed, or two-handed strictly as a matter of convenience. These size categories are always relative to the wielder’s size, as explained in some detail in the section on weapon size on page 113 in the Player’s Handbook (also see next question).
When the combat rules speak of “two-handed” weapons, they’re referring to how the weapon is being used. A Medium character using a Medium longsword in two hands is using a “two-handed” weapon. The same character using a Medium lance in one hand while mounted is using a one-handed weapon. Light weapons are an exception. If you wield a light weapon in two hands you get no advantage on damage (see
page 113 in the Player’s Handbook). Likewise, you always take a –4 penalty on your opposed roll when you’re wielding a light weapon in a disarm attempt (when someone tries to disarm you or you try to disarm someone) regardless of whether you wield it one- or two-handed.

cupkeyk
2007-03-02, 03:39 PM
Q 019
If I had Spinning Halberd as a feat, do I qualify for all three melee master feats and their specific sub-feats (Driving Attack, etc) since can deal B, P and S damage with a halberd.

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2007-03-02, 04:04 PM
A. 019

Yes, if you have Spinning Halberd you meet the prerequisites for all three Melee Weapon Mastery* feats and their respective sub feats: Crushing Strike*, Driving Attack*, Slashing Flurry*.

*: Assuming the other prerequisites are also met.

Behold_the_Void
2007-03-02, 04:24 PM
Q020

Does leadership allow followers to be PC classes, or are they required to be NPC classes?

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2007-03-02, 04:28 PM
A. 020

They can be any class (that is allowed in the campaign and the DM finds appropriate).
The is no RAW restriction on class for a cohort.

cupkeyk
2007-03-02, 04:38 PM
Q 019.1

Since the Halberd now counts as a weapon of all three damage types, does attacking with it trigger all three effects of Crushing Strike, Driving Attack and Slashing Flurry?

Crushing Strike: When you use a full attack action while fighting with any bludgeoning weapon...

Driving Strike: If you use a full round action to make a single melee attack with any piercing weapon...

Slashing Flurry: When you use a standard/full attack action to attack with any slashing weapon...

EG: I use Driving strike to make a single attack, it connects and I knock down my foe as well as triggering Slashing Flurry so I get an additional attack at my highest attack bonus +1(from Crushing Strike) as well as a third attack from Spinning Halberd at -10(penalty from the Slashing Flurry as well as Spinning Halberd, -9 from Crushing Strike, -8 if my second attack connects).

Fax Celestis
2007-03-02, 04:50 PM
A19.1 Yes. Yes it does.

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2007-03-02, 04:58 PM
A. 019.1

Driving strike cannot be combined with the other two, since it is a special full-round action.
The other two can be combined when using the full attack action.

iop
2007-03-02, 06:12 PM
Q 020

SRD says about divination
The base chance for a correct divination is 70% + 1% per caster level, to a maximum of 90%. If the dice roll fails, you know the spell failedDo I understand correctly that if you fail the divination, there will still be an answer, but you know it's guaranteed false?

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2007-03-02, 06:19 PM
A. 020

You will have to look at the individual spell descriptions.

Example:

An augury can tell you whether a particular action will bring good or bad results for you in the immediate future.
The base chance for receiving a meaningful reply is 70% + 1% per caster level, to a maximum of 90%; this roll is made secretly. A question may be so straightforward that a successful result is automatic, or so vague as to have no chance of success. If the augury succeeds, you get one of four results:
Weal (if the action will probably bring good results).
Woe (for bad results).
Weal and woe (for both).
Nothing (for actions that don’t have especially good or bad results).If the spell fails, you get the “nothing” result. A cleric who gets the “nothing” result has no way to tell whether it was the consequence of a failed or successful augury.

(My emphasis)

iop
2007-03-02, 06:39 PM
Q 020 - Clarification

Sorry, I meant the spell "Divination". http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/divination.htm

Similar to augury (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/augury.htm) but more powerful, a divination spell can provide you with a useful piece of advice in reply to a question concerning a specific goal, event, or activity that is to occur within one week. The advice can be as simple as a short phrase, or it might take the form of a cryptic rhyme or omen. If your party doesn’t act on the information, the conditions may change so that the information is no longer useful. The base chance for a correct divination is 70% + 1% per caster level, to a maximum of 90%. If the dice roll fails, you know the spell failed, unless specific magic yielding false information is at work.Do I understand correctly that if you fail the divination, there will still be an answer, but you know it's guaranteed false?

Or, because of what it says for Augury

If the spell fails, you get the “nothing” result
You will not get an answer at all?

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2007-03-02, 06:43 PM
A. 020 Clarification

No, if the spell fails you do not get an answer, unless the exception applies (specific magic yielding false information).

It is not specific, but there is no point in providing an answer. Using the Nothing result from Augury (quoted above) would make most sense.

Shhalahr Windrider
2007-03-02, 06:43 PM
A 020

(Methinks iop was referring to the actual spell divination (http://www.systemreferencedocuments.org/35/sovelior_sage/spellsDtoE.html#divination), not divinations in general.)

If the spell fails, you simply know it fails. You don't get any information, false or otherwise. Effectively, you expand the possible results to "Weal", "Woe", "Weal and Woe", "Nothing", and "Failed."

As alluded to in the spell description, there are some possible effects that can mess with your casting, however, and actually twist your result to the wrong one.

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2007-03-02, 07:07 PM
A 020 Comment

A 020

(Methinks iop was referring to the actual spell divination (http://www.systemreferencedocuments.org/35/sovelior_sage/spellsDtoE.html#divination), not divinations in general.)

I think you are right :smallwink:

If the spell fails, you simply know it fails. You don't get any information, false or otherwise. Effectively, you expand the possible results to "Weal", "Woe", "Weal and Woe", "Nothing", and "Failed."

Note that Divination uses other "results" than Augury.

... The advice can be as simple as a short phrase, or it might take the form of a cryptic rhyme or omen. ...

Shhalahr Windrider
2007-03-02, 09:44 PM
I think you are right :smallwink:
Darn the simuposting.

Note that Divination uses other "results" than Augury.
Darn my inaccurate skimming.

RS14
2007-03-02, 11:47 PM
Q 021: Can a gnome use each of his spell-like abilities once per day, or only one of them once per day?

"A gnome with a Charisma score of at least 10 also has the following spell-like abilities: 1/day—dancing lights, ghost sound, prestidigitation."

Shhalahr Windrider
2007-03-02, 11:58 PM
A 021

Such notation indicates each ability can be used once per day.

cupkeyk
2007-03-02, 11:58 PM
Each once per day.

Ryuuk
2007-03-03, 12:09 AM
Q 022

Would Iron Heart Surge remove fatigue?

Shhalahr Windrider
2007-03-03, 12:33 AM
A 022

It removes any one "spell, effect, or other condition currently affecting you and with a duration of 1 or more rounds." Fatigue is a condition that typically lasts one or more rounds, so yes, iron heart surge would remove fatigue.

Ditto
2007-03-03, 02:47 AM
Q 023

I'm confused about crafting rules. It lists the base price, as well as the magical supplies cost. I don't understand which I use when computing my expenses, both monetary and XP-wise. What will it cost me to make, say, a wand of Web (Lvl 2, CL3) or Detect secret doors (Lvl 1, CL1), or a Cloak of Resistance +3?

squishycube
2007-03-03, 04:24 AM
A023
Note that crafting with the craft skill is different from creating magic items. The first only takes some ranks, the other takes at least one feat.
The cost in raw materials to create a magic item is half its price. The XP cost is 1/25th of its price.

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2007-03-03, 04:28 AM
A. 023

If no cost price is listed, the price in the entry is the market price. To craft you usually pay half the the market price in gold and 1/25 in XP.
If a cost entry is present you use that.

Cost to Create: The next part of a notational entry is the cost in gp and XP to create the item, given following the word “Cost.” This information appears only for items with components (material or XP), which make their market prices higher than their base prices. The cost to create includes the costs derived from the base cost plus the costs of the components. Items without components do not have a “Cost” entry. For them, the market price and the base price are the same. The cost in gp is 1/2 the market price, and the cost in XP is 1/25 the market price.

Now let's look at your examples:

Cloak of Resistance: These garments offer magic protection in the form of a +1 to +5 resistance bonus on all saving throws (Fortitude, Reflex, and Will).

Faint abjuration; CL 5th; Craft Wondrous Item, resistance, creator’s caster level must be at least three times the cloak’s bonus; Price 1,000 gp (+1), 4,000 gp (+2), 9,000 gp (+3), 16,000 gp (+4), 25,000 gp (+5);Weight 1 lb.

Only the market price is used so the cost of crafting is:
9000/2 GP and 9000/25 XP (or 4500 GP and 360 XP).

Wand of secret Doors and Wand of Web use the standard pricing for wands. Base cost and market price is equal to Level of spell x CL x 750

Wand of secret Doors:
Base price: 1x1x750 = 750

Cost of crafting is 750/2 gp and 750/25 (or 375 gp and 30 XP)

Wand of Web:
Base price: 2x3x750 = 4500

Cost of crafting is 4500/2 gp and 4500/25 (or 2250 gp and 180 XP)

Edit: My excuse is that I could not post!

Blinkbear
2007-03-03, 12:20 PM
Q. 024 Favored Enemy from more than one class

If a character gains a favored enemy progression from two classes, for example from the ranger base class and the Paladin Variant described here (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/classes/variantCharacterClasses.htm#paladin), how does one determine the favored enemy bonuses?

I am especially interested in Ranger 1/Paladin Variant 5.

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2007-03-03, 12:49 PM
A. 024

Identical or similar class features gained from different classes do not stack, unless noted otherwise.

There is no exception mentioned for the Paladin variant, so the features do not stack and should be tracked separately.

As a result you gain an extra favored enemy for your Ranger level, so instead of having 2 you have 3.

However, the one you chose for your ranger level only gets the +2 bonus as opposed to the two favored enemies you chose for your Paladin levels 1 and 5, where the +4 bonus applies.

Allowing the class features to stack, as a house rule, is not going to unbalance your game.

Blinkbear
2007-03-03, 01:00 PM
Q. 024 - continued.

What if I decide to take evil outsider as my ranger favored enemy and as my first favored enemy as paladin? Would the bonuses stack? The bonus is unnamed, so it should, right? So a Ranger 1/Paladin Variant 5, selecting evil outsiders as his first favored enemies in both classes and taking undead as second favored enemy at paladin level 5 would gain +6 to damage rolls against evil outsiders (+2 ranger, +4 paladin variant), right? Or is it impossible to take the same favored enemy more than once? Normally, I would say yes, but if we count them as seperate class features...

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2007-03-03, 01:14 PM
A. 024 Continued

Yes, they would stack.
There is nothing preventing you from taking the same enemy both as Paladin Variant and Ranger.

cupkeyk
2007-03-03, 04:39 PM
A. 024 Continued

Yes, they would stack.
There is nothing preventing you from taking the same enemy both as Paladin Variant and Ranger.

In fact in the fluff text of the Harper Agent, it is specifically mentioned that multiple applications of favored enemy bonuses do stack. Say for instance a Ranger/Harper Agent took humanoid (human) and took Red Wizards of Thay as his Harper Agent Favored Enemy, since all Red Wizards are Humanoid(humans)(except for the few liches... teehee) the bonuses would stack.

RS14
2007-03-04, 12:40 AM
Q. 025:

What benefit, if any, do a Monk/Sorcerer/Dragon Disciple's unarmed attacks get when he gains claw and bite attacks?

Rigeld2
2007-03-04, 12:46 AM
A025
None. He can make a Natural Attack set after his Flurry/Unarmed Strike set if he makes a Full Attack. The Natural Attacks are at an additinoal -5 penalty.

daggaz
2007-03-04, 07:04 AM
Q. 26

Reading in the monster manual, I see that a ghast has a bite (+5) melee and 2 secondary claw attacks (+3) melee. Now, the monster also has the multiattack feat. Does this mean that its bonus for the secondary attacks are then just +1? (3-2=1) Or is the +3 with multiattack already figured in?Just seems wierd they have all this redundant information....kinda confusing.

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2007-03-04, 07:08 AM
A. 026

Multiattack is already figured into the stats, as are all permanent effects.

Notes on Dodge and Power Attack etc were not included until later editions of the MM.

Saph
2007-03-04, 09:52 AM
Q. 027

How do you determine the save DCs from spells cast from a scroll or wand? Do ability scores or Spell Focus effects matter? For example: my wizard has Spell Focus: Enchantment and a 22 Intelligence, so the DC for her Charm Person spell is 18 if cast normally. If she made a scroll or wand of it, what would the save DC be?

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2007-03-04, 09:58 AM
A. 027

The save DCs for Scrolls and Wands are always based on the minimum ability score needed to cast the spell.

Example:
Charm Person is a 1st level spell and the needed ability score is 11 (+0 modifier), so the Save DC against your Scroll or Wand of Charm Person is 10+1+0 = 11

SAVING THROWS AGAINST MAGIC ITEM POWERS

Magic items produce spells or spell-like effects. For a saving throw against a spell or spell-like effect from a magic item, the DC is 10 + the level of the spell or effect + the ability modifier of the minimum ability score needed to cast that level of spell.

Staffs are an exception to the rule. Treat the saving throw as if the wielder cast the spell, including caster level and all modifiers to save DC.

Zherog
2007-03-04, 11:28 AM
Q27, Additional Information

Staves are an exception. Those use your stats and feats when activating the item, rather than the minimums.

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2007-03-04, 11:34 AM
Q25, Additional Information

Staves are an exception. Those use your stats and feats when activating the item, rather than the minimums.

That is why I included that bit of the SRD-text also :smallwink:

Ohh and Nale, Q 25 was about Natural Attacks and Unarmed strikes :smalltongue:

Sorry for misleading you.

marjan
2007-03-04, 12:28 PM
Q28 Is there any feat (or ability) that can increase CL fo spell-like abilities?

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2007-03-04, 12:34 PM
A. 028

Boost Spell-like Ability from Book of Vile Darkness.

Heighten Spell-like Ability from Complete Arcane.

Velvet Elvis
2007-03-04, 12:50 PM
Q 029

Does a creature continue to threaten normally when they cannot see/sense potential targets within the relevant squares? Perhaps due to effective blindness, pitch darkness (w/out ability to see through it), heavy fog with zero visiblity beyond 5', etc.

Q 030

Does a victim/target have to be able to see/detect/be aware of an opponent in order for that opponent to threaten it for flanking purposes? (I think this may be extrapolated somewhat from invisibility rules re sneak attacks, but I'm not sure.)

PS: Thanks to those who answered my earlier questions.

squishycube
2007-03-04, 01:12 PM
A029
I looked everywhere I thouht was relevant:
http://www.d20srd.org/srd/specialAbilities.htm#invisibility
http://www.d20srd.org/srd/specialAbilities.htm#invisibility
http://www.d20srd.org/srd/combat/combatModifiers.htm
http://www.d20srd.org/srd/combat/attacksOfOpportunity.htm

But I can't find anything that says you don't get to make AoO's against creatures you can't see. So currently my answer would be: By the RAW, you can make AoO's against opponents you cannot see.

A030
Relevant rules are those mentioned above, and this one:
http://www.d20srd.org/srd/combat/combatModifiers.htm#flanking

Once again, it does not mention invisibility, so you would flank an opponent you can't see as normal.

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2007-03-04, 01:14 PM
A. 029 Correction

You cannot make AoO's against creatures you cannot see.

Total Concealment: If you have line of effect to a target but not line of sight he is considered to have total concealment from you. You can’t attack an opponent that has total concealment, though you can attack into a square that you think he occupies. A successful attack into a square occupied by an enemy with total concealment has a 50% miss chance (instead of the normal 20% miss chance for an opponent with concealment).
You can’t execute an attack of opportunity against an opponent with total concealment, even if you know what square or squares the opponent occupies.

It does not say so directly, but I would interpret this to also mean you do not threaten.

EDIT:

Skip Williams agrees in this Rules of the Game (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/rg/20041102a) article.

Concealed Creatures: You don't threaten any creature that has total concealment against you (though you can attack into the concealed creature's space and hope for a hit). The blindsight special quality negates foes' concealment when they're within range. Some special qualities, such as blindsense and scent, can reveal an unseen foe's location but don't negate concealment. Similarly, you can use a Listen or Spot check to locate an unseen creature, but that does not negate concealment, so you cannot make an attack of opportunity against that foe.

A. 030

Flanking and threatening are only defined by what the attackers can do, unless the "victim" has an ability to negate it.

Threatened Squares: You threaten all squares into which you can make a melee attack, even when it is not your action.

FLANKING

When making a melee attack, you get a +2 flanking bonus if your opponent is threatened by a character or creature friendly to you on the opponent’s opposite border or opposite corner.

Velvet Elvis
2007-03-04, 02:15 PM
Q 030 cont'd...

A. 030

Flanking and threatening are only defined by what the attackers can do, unless the "victim" has an ability to negate it.

I thought I'd read something before (hence the parenthetical in the original question post), and reread the source material, now that I was able to remember where it came from.

Q 030

Does a victim/target have to be able to see/detect/be aware of an opponent in order for that opponent to threaten it for flanking purposes? (I think this may be extrapolated somewhat from invisibility rules re sneak attacks, but I'm not sure.)

(ref (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/rg/20040302a))
You get a flanking bonus from any ally your foe can see (and who is in the correct position to flank). If your foe can't see you, you don't provide a flanking bonus to any ally. You literally cannot flank a blind creature; however, a blind creature loses its Dexterity bonus to Armor Class against your attacks (so you can sneak attack it), and you get a +2 to attack it to boot. Creatures with the blindsight ability effectively "see" within blindsight range and can be flanked.

From this, it looks like my question resolves to a "yes."

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2007-03-04, 02:23 PM
A. 030 Continued

I do not think that there is any RAW support for that position, so strictly speaking it is only a suggestion for a house rule.

Ditto
2007-03-04, 03:38 PM

How would a Wand of False Life determine hit points-per-charge? Would you roll 1d10+(Lvl) on each casting, or would there be one roll for the whole wand?

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2007-03-04, 03:40 PM
A. 031

You would roll for each use separately, just like if you were casting the spell each time.

Raistlin1040
2007-03-04, 04:46 PM
Q 32. If a Druid takes levels in Monk ((Or Vice-versa) does he get unarmed bonus to AC and unarmed damage bonus when wildshaped?

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2007-03-04, 04:49 PM
A. 032

Yes, the monk class does not put restrictions on form, so he would still get the bonus to AC and be able to use Unarmed Strikes Monk-style.

henebry
2007-03-04, 05:48 PM
Q 033
Can you bull rush more than one target? In particular, can a Greater Water Elemental (a Huge creature with Improved Bull Rush) use the maneuver to push a whole party off a platform and into the water?

It would seem to me that the elemental would move through the party as a powerful wave. As DM, I would do opposed str checks for each PC vs. the water elemental, which would get a +7 for its Str, +2 because it's charging, +4 for the Imp BR feat, and +8 for being Huge in size (total +21). Dwarven PCs would get +4 in addition to their Str bonus, while halflings and gnomes would get -4 due to size.

On a successful opposed Str check, a given PC would be pushed 5 ft + an additional 5 ft. for every 5 pts by which the elemental won the Str check (since the water elemental will end its move in the water beyond the edge of the platform).

As I say, that's how it makes sense to me, but in the Bull Rush description in the Combat Maneuvers section of the d20 srd (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/combat/specialAttacks.htm#bullRush), there's no mention made of targeting more than one opponent in a bull rush maneuver.

Other complications: can characters which make their rolls act to aid characters that get washed past them? And if there's a railing at the edge of the platform, do characters get to make a Ref save to grab on, allowing them to make a second opposed Str Check?

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2007-03-04, 05:58 PM
A. 033

This is not really a RAW questions.

Bull rushing more than one opponent at a time is not covered by the rules, so I suggest that you open a new thread for this interesting question. :-)

marjan
2007-03-04, 06:28 PM
Q.034 Are there any rules that prevent you form making staff with only one spell in it?

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2007-03-04, 07:15 PM
A. 034

No, not at all.

henebry
2007-03-04, 08:05 PM
Q 035
Okay, a simpler Bull Rush question: what happens if you're bull-rushed into a wall? Ordinarily a bull rush does no damage, but surely if the bull rush results in a 15' push-back (in a case where the rushing creature chooses to move with the target creature), and there's a wall just 5' back, there should be some damage done.

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2007-03-04, 08:18 PM
A. 035

Another question that is covered directly by RAW. :-)

There are no rules for bull rushing creatures into walls,
but you could use the same mechanics that are used by the feat Awesome Blow:

If an obstacle prevents the completion of the opponent’s move, the opponent and the obstacle each take 1d6 points of damage, and the opponent stops in the space adjacent to the obstacle.

The subject also falls prone.

crazedloon
2007-03-04, 08:46 PM
Q 036

Do the effects of multipul Inspire courage effects (from a bard) stack. So if you had 3 level 8 bards using this ability would you gain a +6 on attacks/fear/charm?

Shhalahr Windrider
2007-03-04, 08:57 PM
A 036
No. They all provide morale bonuses, which do not stack with each other. Even if they were unnamed bonuses, multiple applications of the same effect don't stack (http://www.systemreferencedocuments.org/35/sovelior_sage/magicOverview.html#stacking-effects).

crazedloon
2007-03-04, 09:28 PM
Q 037
can you use Innate spell(comp. Arcane) to make a spell of level 3 a spell like ability?

Shhalahr Windrider
2007-03-04, 09:32 PM
A 037

If you have an 11th level spell slot, sure. So ya gotta be epic level.

Velvet Elvis
2007-03-04, 11:38 PM
Q 030 cont'd...

A. 030 Continued

I do not think that there is any RAW support for that position, so strictly speaking it is only a suggestion for a house rule.

I wouldn't know, myself. I rather assumed the "Rules of the Game" articles by Skip Williams as published on the Wizards site, were predicated on RAW. Not everything is crossreferenced, of course, but some is and mention is made in places where a passage is not "official" but a house rule suggestion.

But, insofar as the part I quoted earlier, it doesn't provide a reference to a core book, or otherwise.

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2007-03-05, 03:57 AM
Q 030 cont'd...

I wouldn't know, myself. I rather assumed the "Rules of the Game" articles by Skip Williams as published on the Wizards site, were predicated on RAW.

They are mostly and they can also be great if the text is not clear and you want to check one of the designer's interpretations or intend.
(Generally they are rather good with only a few slips).

However, some things have entered those articles that should have been labeled personal opinion or house rule.

If there is a conflict between the articles (or even the FAQ) and the RAW, the RAW supersedes. Only errata can change the rules.

daggaz
2007-03-05, 10:22 AM
Q 38

In the SRD encounter calculator, is the experience shown that for the whole group, or per character?

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2007-03-05, 10:26 AM
A. 038

The best calculators I have seen show the results for uniform AND individual distribution of xp. They also show difefrent ways of calculating.

Do you have a link to the specific calculator you are talking about?

Zherog
2007-03-05, 10:27 AM
Q30, cont

The passage you remember about invisible creatures and flanking comes from the 3.0 FAQ.

Suppose an ally of mine is attacking one foe, then I somehow become invisible, draw my sword, and move to the other side of that foe, thus flanking the foe. Does my ally still get a flanking bonus even if I am invisible?

You get a flanking bonus from any ally your foe can see (and who is in the correct position to flank). If your foe can’t see you, you don’t provide a flanking bonus to any ally.

Sharp readers will note that this means you cannot flank a blind creature; however, truly blind creatures are effectively flanked already (they can’t use their Dexterity bonus to AC and you a +2 bonus to attack them). Creatures with the blindsight ability effectively “see” within blindsight range and can be flanked.

As I recall, this answer was generally derided by a large chunk of the on-line community at the time it was made.

In addition, I recall a ruling somewhere that basically allowed the defender to effectively ignore one of his attackers, thereby negating flank (and sneak attack). I can't find it though.

Finally, this topic seems to be stretching out a bit. Perhaps it's time to move it off to its own thread.

Zherog
2007-03-05, 10:29 AM
Q 38

In the SRD encounter calculator, is the experience shown that for the whole group, or per character?

Be careful. The "official" SRD does not include an encounter calculator. WotC has one on their website, I believe. And there's several others around (I like the one at EnWorld personally). However, none of them (other than the one on WotC's site) are official.

daggaz
2007-03-05, 10:30 AM
Q 38 cont'd.

Its the SRD calculator.
http://www.d20srd.org/encounterCalculator.htm
I dont have my DMG on me..

Fax Celestis
2007-03-05, 10:30 AM
A038 The one on d20srd.org displays per-character, not per-party.

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2007-03-05, 10:33 AM
Q30, cont
In addition, I recall a ruling somewhere that basically allowed the defender to effectively ignore one of his attackers, thereby negating flank (and sneak attack). I can't find it though.

That was a house rule suggested by Skip Williams in his RotG article series if I recall correctly.

EDIT:

All About Sneak Attacks (Part Four) (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/rg/20040309a)

A Totally Unofficial Rule for Dealing with Foes Trying to Flank You

Jonathan Tweet (co-designer of the D&D 3rd edition game) and I have had many opportunities to ponder the tactical aspects of flanking and what you might be able to do about it if you find yourself flanked. After one extended discussion not long ago, Jonathan proposed the basics of the following rule, and I present it here, with some tweaks:

You can disregard attacks from an opponent flanking you. When you do, that opponent doesn't get the +2 flanking bonus when attacking you and that opponent does not provide a flanking bonus to any of its allies. Ignoring a flanker, however, provokes an attack of opportunity from that flanker, and you lose your Dexterity bonus to Armor Class against that flanker. You do, however, continue to threaten that flanker.

If the flanker is out of attacks of opportunity, you can ignore the flanker (and deny the flanking bonus) with impunity.

If you can't see (or locate) the flanker, you disregard the flanker by default, and you provoke the attack of opportunity.

You must make the decision to disregard a flanker as soon as the foe moves into a flanking position. You can change your decision as a free action on your turn. (You still must disregard a flanker you can't see.)

Finally, this topic seems to be stretching out a bit. Perhaps it's time to move it off to its own thread.
Yes :smallredface:

*zipped*

Raool
2007-03-05, 12:03 PM
Q 39

The Armor Proficiency feat entry in the PHB reads: "When you wear a type of armor with which you are proficient, the armor check penalty for that armor applies only to Balance, Climb, Escape Artist, Hide, Jump, Move Silently, Pick Pocket, and Tumble checks."
Apart from the fact that they forgot to change Pick Pocket to Sleight of Hand, why doesn't it include Swim ?
Then the "normal" entry which describes what happens if you wear armor with which you are not proficient with says: "A character who is wearing armor with which she is not proficient applies its armor check penalty to attack rolls and to all skill checks that involve moving, including Ride."

Am I to understand that I've always been wrong and Swim isn't affected by ACP unless you're not proficient with the armor you're wearing ?

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2007-03-05, 12:06 PM
A. 039

Swim is doubly affected.
Armor proficiency feats was badly transferred from 3.0 to 3.5. :sigh:

SWIM (STR; ARMOR CHECK PENALTY)

Special: Swim checks are subject to double the normal armor check penalty and encumbrance penalty.

It will probably be included when WotC publish their Great Book of Errata. (The actual name escapes me at the moment)

martyboy74
2007-03-05, 05:58 PM
Q40
How much would an item of continous Silent Image (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/silentImage.htm) cost?

Blinkbear
2007-03-05, 06:09 PM
It will probably be included when WotC publish their Great Book of Errata. (The actual name escapes me at the moment)

I know that this kind of discussion is not encouraged. But I wanted to make three suggestions about book titles... It will either be called:
Complete Errata, Error Compendium or Tome of Errors - Book of 999 Mistakes. Sorry. I promise to never bother this thread with this again.

Zherog
2007-03-05, 06:17 PM
Q40
How much would an item of continous Silent Image (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/silentImage.htm) cost?

There's no RAW answer for your question, because the section in the DMG/SRD about magic item pricing is just guidelines. I recommend a new thread, and describe exactly what you would expect the magic item to do. Don't be surprised, though, if you get wildly different answers from people.

martyboy74
2007-03-05, 06:25 PM
In that case...
Q41
Is there any way to see through a darkness/deeper darkness spell without negating/dispelling it?

Raum
2007-03-05, 06:48 PM
A40 The table for estimating magic item costs can be found here. (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/creatingMagicItems.htm#tableEstimatingMagicItemGol dPieceValues) The recommended cost for a wondrous item allowing continuous use of Silent Image is Spell Level * Caster Level * 2000 gold.

Zherog
2007-03-05, 07:48 PM
A40 The table for estimating magic item costs can be found here. (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/creatingMagicItems.htm#tableEstimatingMagicItemGol dPieceValues) The recommended cost for a wondrous item allowing continuous use of Silent Image is Spell Level * Caster Level * 2000 gold.

Which is going to work out to 2000 gp, which is much too low. Which is why I suggested it needed to have it's own thread.

Q41
Is there any way to see through a darkness/deeper darkness spell without negating/dispelling it?

Some outsiders (many devils, for example) can see through darkness, even magical darkness. The warlock has an invocation (called Devil's Sight) that does the same thing.

Stephen_E
2007-03-05, 08:27 PM

A40 - further
One could make the argument that this will give you a Magic Item that will create a Silent Image only as long as you concentrate on it.

Basically the Magic item guidelines require house ruling whenever you get out of specific areas. A spell with a duration "concentration" is outside those areas.

Stephen

Stephen_E
2007-03-05, 08:32 PM
In that case...
Q41

A41
Technically, since these spells both provide illumination, anyone can see through them. Some people can just see through better. See other's answers on how to improve your ability to see through Darkness and cousins. (Classic situation - You're in a place with no light. Rather than cast Light and stand out like a beacon to all enemies, cast Darkness and presto, you can now see, but don't show up to anyone outside the radius of the spell. :-) )

Stephen

Ulzgoroth
2007-03-05, 09:18 PM
Q42
Is it ever possible to make a full attack with a sling?

Totally unrelated, so I'll take a number for it too:
Q43
If a neutral cleric casts any of Blasphemy/Holy Word/Dictum/Word of Chaos, do they suffer the effects?

Zherog
2007-03-05, 09:25 PM
Q42

Yes, if your BAB is less than +6. ;)

Douglas
2007-03-05, 09:33 PM
A43
Yes. A neutral Hierophant who took Spell Power all five times, has an Orange Prism Ioun Stone, and used a Bead of Karma from a Strand of Prayer Beads would kill himself if he cast Holy Word.

marjan
2007-03-05, 10:35 PM
Q42

Yes, but you will need a Quick Draw since ammunition for slings is considered thrown weapons (which require move action to draw normaly).

Shhalahr Windrider
2007-03-05, 10:41 PM
Re: A042

I think you are confusing slings with shuriken.

Yes, slings let you apply your strength mod as damage, but they are otherwise treated the same as any other projectile weapon. Drawing sling ammunition is a free action. However, loading the sling is a move action. Unlike a crossbow, you cannot take Rapid Reload to reduce that time. I am unaware of any feats or class abilities that reduce the time it takes to load a sling.

NEO|Phyte
2007-03-05, 11:14 PM
Q044

How does the Bloodclaw Master's Pouncing Strike ability mesh with manouvers such as Battle Leader's Charge (White Raven)?

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2007-03-06, 04:40 AM
A. 044

Each Pouncing Strike deals the additional damage if they hit during a Battle Leader's Charge.

Jalil
2007-03-06, 04:49 AM
Q45 What are the mechanical differences from the Maul (CW) and the Goliath Greathammer(RoS)? Are they the same thing?

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2007-03-06, 05:24 AM
A. 045

No, the Goliath Greathammer is superior in every way, except that it costs more, weighs more and can only be wielded two-handed.

I do not think any of these weapons are OGC, so I do not think I can say much more at this stage.

SpiderBrigade
2007-03-06, 10:25 AM
Q. 046 Thri-kreen. XPH lists the psionic version as 2 racial HD, LA +2. MMII, with the update, lists the NONpsionic version as LA +1, and the psionic as +3. This does not include the RHD, correct? If so, why is the psionic version at a greater LA?

Q. 047 The feat Adaptive Style from Tome of Battle. The feat allows a martial adept to change his readied maneuvers. If his maneuvers are expended, does the feat re-ready them? If not, how does the feat work?

Q. 048 War Hulks have the ability Great Swing, which allows them to choose 3 adjacent, threatened squares and attack them as a full-round action with one roll. Later on, they get the ability to make such an attack "as a standard action." However, this upgrade also states that the warhulk could use the ability multiple times, if the warhulk could make multiple attacks. Which is it? A standard action? Or can it be applied to any attack?

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2007-03-06, 10:56 AM
A. 046

It is hard to answer, you have already quoted the RAW.
I suggest you use the XPH version.

A. 047

Certainly.

A. 048

The War Hulk needs to be included in the GBoE I quoted earlier.
The ability contradicts itself, I suggest you go with the Standard Action.

Maxymiuk
2007-03-06, 11:14 AM
Q 049

In mounted combat (provided you have a warhorse, or an otherwise combat trained mount) are you still allowed to take a full action even after your mount took a full action, for example to run?

As a corollary, where can I find detailed rules on mounted combat?

SpiderBrigade
2007-03-06, 11:21 AM
Re: A. 047 Could you go into a little more detail? While this is my initial reading of the feat (based on how it acts for crusaders, it should work similarly for other manifesters), the wording is just slightly ambiguous enough to allow debate. The fact that, given such an interpretation, the feat is incredibly good, and essentially a must-have feat for a Swordsage, makes such argument likely, as some will say it is too good and "clearly doesn't work that way." So I was looking for ammunition to counter such an argument.

Edit: also, GBoE? was this in a prior incarntion of this thread?

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2007-03-06, 11:22 AM
A. 049

You can make a full-round action while your mount is taking one, but you are restricted in what kind of actions you can make.
For instance, you cannot make a melee full attack if your mount moves more than 5 feet.

More information can be found in the PHB under Special Attacks and under the ride skill.

There is also the Rules of the Game (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/rg/20050125a) article series.

Fax Celestis
2007-03-06, 11:26 AM
A046 The MM-II is a 3.0 book, not a 3.5 one. Thri-Kreen were updated to 3.5 in the XPH, and therefore the copy found in the XPH is considered to be the primary source.

A047 "...as if you had just prepared them at the start of the day." Initiators receive readied maneuvers at the start of the day. Yes, it is just that good.

A049 You are. You can find rules for mounted combat in the SRD underneath the Mounted Combat (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/combat/specialAttacks.htm#mountedCombat) heading. Do note: skirmish does not work from horseback, so no mounted scout cheese for you.

SpiderBrigade
2007-03-06, 11:40 AM
Fax, what about the MM-II "update to 3.5" PDF? Does that not count?

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2007-03-06, 11:43 AM
It does count, but any material that was actually updated and not just part of an update booklet caries a little more weight.

Zherog
2007-03-06, 11:51 AM
A46 (more)

XPH was published after the update book as well. WotC's "rule of thumb" is that the most recent source takes precedent. So if you have differences between MM2 (including the update booklet) and the XPH, the stuff in the XPH is considered the "current" version.

SpiderBrigade
2007-03-06, 12:10 PM
46 continued. Also, taking a longer, harder look at the MMII version, the psionic thri-kreen gets Chameleon and Know Direction at will rather than 3/day. So that probably merits the +1 to LA. Yay, I answered my own question :smallfrown:

Stephen_E
2007-03-06, 08:42 PM
A. 049

You can make a full-round action while your mount is taking one, but you are restricted in what kind of actions you can make.
For instance, you cannot make a melee full attack if your mount moves more than 5 feet.

More information can be found in the PHB under Special Attacks and under the ride skill.

There is also the Rules of the Game (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/rg/20050125a) article series.

Note: There are laos some prestige classes that extend the movement your mount can make with you retaining the ability to make a melee full attack. Wild Outrise - Comp Advent is one example where your mount can make a single move and you still get to make a full Melee attack.

Basically you should look at the various splat books and at the start of the Prestige classes they'll normally tell you which ones are aimed at mounted combat types.

Stephen

cupkeyk
2007-03-06, 10:33 PM
A 48 Speculations.

I think they meant attack. So you can swing for each numeric value you get for getting high BAB. This is watered down by the non-progression of the War-hulk's BAB. You can first make a single swing as a full atack, Then you can make as many swings as your bab and feats allow(twf whatever). I think.

crazedloon
2007-03-06, 10:38 PM
Q 050

This is a realy stupid question and I should know this but what is the attack bonus based off of when you calculate offhand attacks while fighting with 2 weapons. Is it your highest base attack - the modifier or is it 0 - modifier?

Shhalahr Windrider
2007-03-06, 10:57 PM
A 050

It's your highest attack bonus.

Example: An 11th level fighter has a BAB of +11/+6/+1. If he begins fighting with two light weapons and without the Two-weapon fighting feat would have a primary hand attacks take a -4 penalty, and his off-hand attacks take a -8 penalty. This gives us +7/+2/-3 for primary attacks, and an off-hand attack at +3. (This takes into account only BAB and two-weapon fighting penalties, but not Strength, magic or any other modifiers.)

Extra attacks gained through Improved Two-Weapon Fighting and Greater Two-Weapon Fighting are likewise figured off of one's highest attack bonus. If our 11th level fighter had Two-Weapon Fighting, Improved Two-Weapon Fighting, and Greater Two-Weapon Fighting and fights with two light weapons, his attack routine would be modified as follows:

Primary Hand: +11/+6/+1 minus 2 for a total of +9/+4/-1

Off Hand:
Two-Weapon Fighting reduces the usual -8 penalty to -2 giving us: +11 minus 2 (total: +9)
Improved Two-Weapon Fighting grants an additional attack at +11 minus 2 minus 5 (total: +4)
Greater Two-Weapon Fighting grants an additional attack at +11 minus 2 minus 10 (total: -1)
Total Off-hand routine: +9/+4/-1.

Note that the penalties in the Two-weapon fighting table (http://www.systemreferencedocuments.org/35/sovelior_sage/specialAttacks.html#table-two-weapon-fighting-penalties) apply to all attacks made with the respective hand.

crazedloon
2007-03-06, 11:14 PM
Q 050 continued

So when getting the attack bonus of an ofhand's 2 attack you start with highest Bab -2 (assuming light weapons) then subtract the 5 from Improved Two-Weapon Fighting or do you subtract 5 from highest Bab? (and thank you)

Shhalahr Windrider
2007-03-06, 11:36 PM
A 050 (cont.)

You would take the highest BAB, subtract two for the base two-weapon fighting penalty, then finally subtract five for Improved Two-Weapon Fighting. This gives you a total of the highest BAB minus 7.

Such is demonstrated in the second example in my post above.

cupkeyk
2007-03-06, 11:49 PM
A 050 (cont.)

You would take the highest BAB, subtract two for the base two-weapon fighting penalty, then finally subtract five for Improved Two-Weapon Fighting. This gives you a total of the highest BAB minus 7.

Such is demonstrated in the second example in my post above.

And notice that your off hand's attack bonuses mirror your primary hand attack bonuses (assuming you're meeting optmal twf use). Iterative BAB functions at minus fives and TWF functions with a -2. Since ITWF and GTWF follow suit you need only mirror your primary hand full attack bab.

BAB: 11, 6, 1
BAB+TWF: 9, 9, 4, 1
BAB+TWF+ITWF: 9, 9, 4, 4, 1
BAB+TWF+ITWF+GTWF: 9, 9, 4, 4, 1, 1

crazedloon
2007-03-07, 12:12 AM
Q 051

(last stupid question today :smallwink: )

If you are a multi-armed character (thri-kreen for example) and you take ranger levels. Do you gain two weapon fighting (if you choose that combat style) or multiweapon fighting. It would apear that you gain multiweapon fighting becuase it says that it replaces two weapon fighting for creatures with more arms however does that include instences when the feat is given by name?

Winged One
2007-03-07, 12:16 AM
A51
You gain multiweapon fighting. It's mentioned somewhere in the thri-kreen player race entry of the XPH.

reorith
2007-03-07, 02:02 AM
q52
can a spell prepared with a metamagic feat be used to scribe a scroll as if it was in the appropriate spell slot?

cupkeyk
2007-03-07, 02:09 AM
Q 54

How do templates function when they vary by hitdice. Say a level one character has the psuedo natural template and is as such LA +0. What happens when he gains enough hitdice to have an LA+1 or +2? QWhen does buy off become available for him?

How does one calculate LA and hitdice for acquired templates? Say a level 3 Rogue with 3000 xp is bitten by a wererat and gains the afflicted lycanthrope template. Does he gain enough xp for an LA of +2 and one hitdice of animal to garner 15,000 xp so his fourh level of rogue is available at 21,000 xp? Again, when does buy off available for him?

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2007-03-07, 02:23 AM
A. 052 (Not A. 053)

q53
can a spell prepared with a metamagic feat be used to scribe a scroll as if it was in the appropriate spell slot?

You can use metamagic enhanced spells to create magic items.

Costs would be determined by the spell level the metamagic version of the spell would use, whether you have to actually use up a higher level spell slot to cast the spell.

If the metamagic version would use a spell level higher the maximum for that kind of item you cannot craft the item.

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2007-03-07, 02:35 AM
A. 053 (Not A. 54)

When you suddenly and abruptly gain HD or LA adjustment your progression halts until you have obtained enough xp for your new ECL.

An option might be to use the savage progression rules and let the character grow into the template.

The optional LA Buy-off rules do not mention anything about variable LA, but it seems reasonable to use the highest LA the creature will obtain to determine when Buy-off is possible.

How should a character afflicted with a template (such as a PC who becomes a werewolf) deal with his newly acquired level adjustment? What if he later gets rid of the lycanthropy?

The simplest method to adjudicate this is to use the character’s new ECL to determine the point at which he gains his next level. A 4th-level barbarian who contracts lycanthropy from a werewolf (and thus gains 2 Hit Dice and a +2 level adjustment) becomes an ECL 8 character, and thus wouldn’t gain another class level until his XP total would advance him to 9th level. In the short term, this means the character has an advantage over his comrades (since he hasn’t yet “paid” for his level adjustment), but this is a self-correcting problem.
If the curse of lycanthropy is later lifted, the character loses the level adjustment. Technically speaking, he should then gain any class levels “due” to him according to his XP total. At the DM’s option, these levels could be applied gradually rather than all at once. One option might be to give the character one level immediately and then two class levels every time he would gain a single level until his character level is appropriate for his XP total. This makes the change less abrupt, but also represents a significant penalty to the character, so this option should be used only if everyone is comfortable with it.

Maxymiuk
2007-03-07, 08:31 AM
Q 054 (Is that right?)

If I have the Improved Disarm feat, but not the Improved Unarmed Attack feat, do I provoke an AoO on a disarm attempt when fighting unarmed?

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2007-03-07, 08:53 AM
A. 054

No, even when making an unarmed disarm attempt the feat prevents an AoO.

Benefit: You do not provoke an attack of opportunity when you attempt to disarm an opponent...

If you attempt the disarm while unarmed, you end up with the weapon in your hand.
(If you have the Improved Disarm feat, you don’t incur an attack of opportunity for making a disarm attempt.)

Sutremaine
2007-03-07, 11:10 AM
Q55

From the notes on the Survival skill:

If you have 5 or more ranks in Survival, you can automatically determine where true north lies in relation to yourself.

From the notes on the Know Direction spell:

You instantly know the direction of north from your current position. The spell is effective in any environment in which “north” exists, but it may not work in extraplanar settings. Your knowledge of north is correct at the moment of casting....

Apart from the duration, do these two abilities produce identical results?

Q56

Once per day, a paladin may attempt to smite evil with one normal melee attack.
Are unarmed strikes considered normal melee attacks for all intents and purposes? Is it possible to achieve a "Subdue Evil" effect using a merciful weapon or a nonlethal unarmed strike?

Shhalahr Windrider
2007-03-07, 11:27 AM
A 055
Yes, they are identical.

A 056
I know of no clause that restricts smite evil to only dealing lethal damage. You can use it to "Subdue Evil" instead.

Myatar_Panwar
2007-03-07, 06:22 PM
Q 057

If you are wearing a ring of evasion, do you have to wear light or no armor to use it?

Fax Celestis
2007-03-07, 06:27 PM
A057 Yes. Evasion only works in light or no armor.

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2007-03-07, 06:28 PM
A. 057 Correction

No, the ring functions regardless of armor, since there is no reference to Monks or Rogues in the description of the ring.
The restrictions on monks and Rogues are exceptions.

Evasion: This ring continually grants the wearer the ability to avoid damage as if she had evasion. Whenever she makes a Reflex saving throw to determine whether she takes half damage, a successful save results in no damage.

EVASION AND IMPROVED EVASION

These extraordinary abilities allow the target of an area attack to leap or twist out of the way. Rogues and monks have evasion and improved evasion as class features, but certain other creatures have these abilities, too.
If subjected to an attack that allows a Reflex save for half damage, a character with evasion takes no damage on a successful save.
As with a Reflex save for any creature, a character must have room to move in order to evade. A bound character or one squeezing through an area cannot use evasion.
As with a Reflex save for any creature, evasion is a reflexive ability. The character need not know that the attack is coming to use evasion.
Rogues and monks cannot use evasion in medium or heavy armor. Some creatures with the evasion ability as an innate quality do not have this limitation.
Improved evasion is like evasion, except that even on a failed saving throw the character takes only half damage.

(My emphasis)

Shhalahr Windrider
2007-03-07, 06:33 PM
A 057 Clarification

Silvanos is correct. The ring says the wearer acts "as if she had evasion," not "as if she had evasion as per the rogue class ability." The general description of Evasion (http://www.systemreferencedocuments.org/35/sovelior_sage/abilitiesAndConditions.html#evasion) clarifies that armor restrictions are only in place when specified in the Class Feature or racial ability description. It is not a property inherent to the ability itself.

Myatar_Panwar
2007-03-08, 12:37 AM
Ahh, thank you. And now for something completely different...

Q 058
Does your offhand weapon when two weapon fighting apply your strength to damage? I've checked the PH and it seems to say nothing on it, but I thought I heard something about this earlier. And if you cant apply strength, then what other things could you contribute to damage besides enhancement bonuses? (this is sort of a non RAW question, and more of an opinion. answer it if you please)

marjan
2007-03-08, 12:56 AM
Ahh, thank you. And now for something completely different...

Q 058
Does your offhand weapon when two weapon fighting apply your strength to damage? I've checked the PH and it seems to say nothing on it, but I thought I heard something about this earlier. And if you cant apply strength, then what other things could you contribute to damage besides enhancement bonuses? (this is sort of a non RAW question, and more of an opinion. answer it if you please)

A 058 You apply half of your STR modifier to your off-hand attacks. For the second part you could apply Weapon Specialization, Sneak Attack(and similar), Favoured Enemy bonus...

Morty
2007-03-08, 08:11 AM
Q 059

Does the speed bonus from Expeditious Retreat multiply?

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2007-03-08, 08:21 AM
A. 059

Spontaneously? No.

But if you were to run (on the ground) for instance, your land speed (including the enhancement bonus from Expeditious Retreat) speed would get multiplied by a factor.

Where you thinking of something else?

cupkeyk
2007-03-08, 08:22 AM
A59

Uhh would you like to rephrase that?

It increases your base speed so running, charging, hustling multiplies it appropriately. (if i guessed at yer question right.)

AdversusVeritas
2007-03-08, 10:34 AM
Two newb questions:

Q 060This may not count as a RAW question since the RAW appears contradictory on this issue, so I apologize ahead of time. The PHB says that web does not allow for spell resistance, but the DMG uses web as a specific example of a conjuration spell that does allow for spell resistance. I don’t have the page numbers on me, but it is under the spell resistance section in the DMG (I may actually be thinking of grease and not web, but I know that the DMG contradicts the PHB on at least one of these spells). Which book should be considered correct?

Q 061Does the Cleric ability to spontaneously cast “cure” spells include “mass cure” spells as well?

Zherog
2007-03-08, 10:44 AM
Two newb questions:

Q 060This may not count as a RAW question since the RAW appears contradictory on this issue, so I apologize ahead of time. The PHB says that web does not allow for spell resistance, but the DMG uses web as a specific example of a conjuration spell that does allow for spell resistance. I don’t have the page numbers on me, but it is under the spell resistance section in the DMG (I may actually be thinking of grease and not web, but I know that the DMG contradicts the PHB on at least one of these spells). Which book should be considered correct?

WotC's errata policy is that primary sources take precedence over secondary sources. One real simple look at this is table entries vs text entries. The text (for example a spell or feat description) is the primary source, so if it disagrees with the table entry, the description is assumed to be correct unless they specifically say otherwise.

This applies directly in this instance. The description of the web or grease spell is the primary source for the rules of that spell. Anything in the DMG used as an example is a secondary source. If the DMG conflicts with the spell entry in the PHB, you should assume the PHB is correct and the DMG is wrong.

Q 061Does the Cleric ability to spontaneously cast “cure” spells include “mass cure” spells as well?

Yes - any spell with the word "cure" in the name can be spontaneously cast. In fact, the various mass cure X spells were added in 3.5 to give this ability more oomph at higher levels, because 3.0 had no options for spontaneous casting at those levels.

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2007-03-08, 10:46 AM
A. 060

It did not check the actual wording, but if two RAW sources contradict each other it is a matter of primary vs. secondary sources.

The Primary sources on spells are the spell descriptions in the PHB. If they are contradicted in the DMG the actual spell description takes precedence.

Edit: As always Zherog puts it more eloquently. ;-)

cupkeyk
2007-03-08, 11:35 AM
Q 62

How many times can a binder contact a vestige? Am I correct that a binder with Expel Vestige can contact, bind and expel any number of vestiges in a day as long as he stays within his binder level's allowed number of pacts?

henebry
2007-03-08, 02:29 PM
Q 63 Spot and Listen checks
I'm confused about how to handle spot and listen checks, especially when one group is trying to sneak up on another. In the case of spot, there doesn't appear to be anything in the skill description to help in cases where more than one creature is trying to hide from more than one opponent. This is a problem, because if you roll enough times, someone on the hiding side is bound to roll poorly while someone on the spotting side is bound to roll well, with the result that the spotting side will win, every time.

By contrast, the Listen skill appears to have a system in place for large groups. The skill suggests the DM should do an average of group one's Move Silently checks, and use this as the DC for a single 1d20 Listen check. I gather this means rolling all four Move Silently checks and averaging them (12.4, for instance). Rounding down, this becomes DC 12 for group 2's Listen Checks. If I then roll 10 for group 2's Listen check, and if group 2 is 20' away (for a -2 penalty), all those creatures in group 2 which have Listen of +4 or better hear the sound, while those which have lower scores don't hear it. Is this correct?

And is there something in RAW for handling Spot without making everyone roll spot every time there's something to be seen?

Winged One
2007-03-08, 02:40 PM
A62

The Expel Vestige feat can only be used once per day.

Matthew
2007-03-08, 08:15 PM
A 063

You could simply assume such characters are 'taking 10'. That gives a fixed DC for Spot Checks. It works the other way around as well (multiple onlookers, one hidden person).

Dr. Weasel
2007-03-08, 10:13 PM
Q64
If an archer draws an arrow as a free action at the end of their turn, do they threaten attacks of opportunity (with the arrows acting as improvised daggers as mentioned in the PHB)?

Q65
Also, if a spontaneous caster increases their casting stat through Eagle's Splendor or other such means, do they get bonus spells according to the resulting Ability score. (I know this does not work with prepared casters, but I am not sure about Bards/Sorcerors/Shugenja and the like)

Raum
2007-03-08, 11:23 PM
A64 They can threaten with the improvised weapon at melee range. They do not threaten as a ranged weapon.

A65 Not normally, though if the spell lasts 24 hours (or at least through resting & spell recovery) an argument can be made for it. Even then, the extra bonus spells are lost when the stat bonus is lost.

Angafirith
2007-03-09, 12:27 AM
Q66
The SRD has rules determining how far you can see with artificial light and darkvision. What are the rules for visibility on perfectly clear bright day outside? I had heard 60 feet, but that doesn't seem to work with Range Increment rules. How would the various weather conditions effect the visibility?

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2007-03-09, 01:07 AM
A. 066

Real world conditions are assumed to exist, but you will notice that the different terrains types have different beginning encounter distances. They are of course more a feature of th terrain.

(The 60 feet you have heard is probably from the daylight spell)

Weather conditions can reduce visibility and also have entries for snow, rain, storm etc.

Leush
2007-03-09, 09:07 AM
Q 67

When using a double weapon, is it allowed to use it as a two handed weapon rather than a double weapon on a particular round of combat, or does that just apply to quarterstaves?

Q 67 b If changing from two weapon fighting with a double weapon to fighting with it as if it were a two handed weapon, does that count as a free action, move action, swift action or what? Or in a simpler put way -can you full attack with it as a two handed weapon one round and and full attack with it as a double weapon next turn?

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2007-03-09, 10:21 AM
A. 067

Yes.

A. 067 b

It is not an action.

Isomenes
2007-03-09, 10:25 AM
Q68

If a necromancer has wrested control of an undead minion from a cleric via command undead, is a simple rebuke enough to dispel it, or would it require a sufficiently high rebuke as to command them?

Q68b

Can bolstering your undead minions affect whether you rebuke or command them if your bolster check gives them more than half your level in hit dice?

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2007-03-09, 10:35 AM
A. 068

Command is needed to take the control back.

Shhalahr Windrider
2007-03-09, 01:21 PM
A 068b

The rules text only refers to bolstering providing resistance against turning. It appears to have no effect upon rebuking.

That Lanky Bugger
2007-03-09, 03:47 PM
Q69: Is it possible for a use-activated item to cast a spell based on a spell being cast on that item? If this is possible, can a second use-activated item cast a spell based on the spell cast by the first item? And if the first item is activated based on the spell cast by the second item (while the second item is activated based on the spell cast by the first item), would this create an infinite loop?

Douglas
2007-03-09, 04:47 PM
A69
Use-Activated This type of item simply has to be used in order to activate it. A character has to drink a potion, swing a sword, interpose a shield to deflect a blow in combat, look through a lens, sprinkle dust, wear a ring, or don a hat. Use activation is generally straightforward and self-explanatory. (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/magicItemBasics.htm#useActivated)

For a use-activated item to activate, it has to be used in some way. This is open to a fair bit of DM interpretation about what qualifies as "use", but I would rule that the method of activation must clearly involve the item somehow. The proposed Dimension Door/Wail of the Banshee combo from the thread that I'm sure inspired this question wouldn't work because a) Dimension Door is cast on the owner, not on the WotB item, and b) WotB is an area effect and also only affects living creatures. Neither method of activation clearly involves the item, so it doesn't work. If you put both powers on the same item, it doesn't work because an item can't use itself - the character has to do the using.

This combo might be legal with the addition of Contingency effects on the items, but Contingency discharges so you'd be limited to the number of Contingencies you had prepared for it.

Emperor Tippy
2007-03-09, 05:14 PM
A69
Use-Activated This type of item simply has to be used in order to activate it. A character has to drink a potion, swing a sword, interpose a shield to deflect a blow in combat, look through a lens, sprinkle dust, wear a ring, or don a hat. Use activation is generally straightforward and self-explanatory. (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/magicItemBasics.htm#useActivated)

For a use-activated item to activate, it has to be used in some way. This is open to a fair bit of DM interpretation about what qualifies as "use", but I would rule that the method of activation must clearly involve the item somehow.
But you can make a use activated item that activates when you attack. Like an amulet that activates when you attack. Your not actually using the item. You are taking an attack action which causes the item to activate.

Or you can get armor that activates when it is struck. It activates on your opponents attack action if it results in a hit.

The proposed Dimension Door/Wail of the Banshee combo from the thread that I'm sure inspired this question wouldn't work because a) Dimension Door is cast on the owner, not on the WotB item, and b) WotB is an area effect and also only affects living creatures. Neither method of activation clearly involves the item, so it doesn't work. If you put both powers on the same item, it doesn't work because an item can't use itself - the character has to do the using.
Incorrect on multiple points. The first is that DD isn't using the item. The Item is affected by the DD (it travels with the caster along with all his other items). The Item then activates with its effect which is WoB going off as if the wearer had cast the spell. WoB creates a very distinct sound (a banshee wail) and that is the trigger condition for the second item (of DD).

This combo might be legal with the addition of Contingency effects on the items, but Contingency discharges so you'd be limited to the number of Contingencies you had prepared for it.
... That can be made even more broken.

Douglas
2007-03-09, 05:30 PM
You can make a use-activated item that activates when you attack with that item.

You can make a shield that activates when you "interpose a shield to deflect a blow". The action there is the owner using the shield, not the opponent attacking. Show me where it explicitly states that you can make use-activated armor that activates when hit and I'll concede this point.

If DD isn't using the item, then the item isn't being used at all. If no "use" occurs, then no "use"-activated effect happens.

Casting Wail of the Banshee is by no stretch of the imagination "using" the DD item.

Roland St. Jude
2007-03-09, 06:03 PM
Q.70 With the obvious caveat that they are only guidelines, what is the most cost effective item of continuous (or use activated upon a charge) Psionic Lion's Charge (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/psionic/powers/psionicLionsCharge.htm) usable by a non-psionic character and how much would it cost?

Q.71 The same question above only using the spell Lion's Charge?

Q.72 Is there any meaningful difference between the two items? (aside from magic/psionic and, potentially, price)?

afternoon
2007-03-09, 06:06 PM
Quick, easy question.

Q. 73 In fight against a 5-foot-reaching melee combatant, can an archer take a free 5-foot step back each round and launch a full attack each round without provoking an attack of opportunity?

I've been allowing it as a DM for a while, you see. And I was just curious, because it's one of those things. Ahh, I kind of already know the answer.

Shhalahr Windrider
2007-03-09, 06:20 PM
A 073

Yes, assuming the archer has a free space to five foot into and no other foe threatens that space, of course.

Zherog
2007-03-09, 08:16 PM
Q.70 With the obvious caveat that they are only guidelines, what is the most cost effective item of continuous (or use activated upon a charge) Psionic Lion's Charge usable by a non-psionic character and how much would it cost?

Is this a feat from somewhere? I'm assuming so because it's capitalized, but it's not in the SRD. If it is a feat, there's guidelines for using feats in items in the Arms and Equipment Guide. Basically, it's 10,000 gp, plus an additional 5-10K per pre-req if the item doesn't require the pre-req.

Was that at all helpful?

Roland St. Jude
2007-03-09, 09:41 PM
Q.70.Clarification. Psionic Lion's Charge is a psionic power. I've added a link in my original question to the SRD.

Cruiser1
2007-03-09, 10:27 PM
Q74: Do temporary hitpoints (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/combat/injuryandDeath.htm#temporaryHitPoints) from different sources stack? For example, my Necromancer casts False Life (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/falseLife.htm). Then my Cleric teammate casts Aid (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/aid.htm) on me. If they don't stack, do they overlap in any way, e.g. if I take enough damage to remove the hp gained through False Life, are the Aid temporary hitpoints still keeping me above my normal max?

Jasdoif
2007-03-09, 10:57 PM
A70

Costs for psionic items use the same rules and guidelines as for corresponding magic items.

Use activated is the only viable power effect type for psionic lion's charge, since you can't take the standard action needed for the other types and make the full-round-action charge too. Likewise, making more then 40 charges is quite likely to happen, so the no-limit type use activation is more cost-effective then the single use type.

For such a use activated power in an item, the cost would be power level * manifester level * 2000gp. Thus making the minimum cost of a use activated psionic lion's charge cost 2 * 3 * 2000, or 12,000gp. Purely by the guidelines, of course.

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2007-03-09, 11:34 PM
A. 074

Temporary hit points from different sources do stack, but duration and hit point pool has to be tracked separately.

Temporary hp follow the first-in-first-out (FIFO) principle.

Douglas
2007-03-09, 11:38 PM
A71
Lion's Charge is a 3rd level spell for Druids, so it would cost 3*5*2000 = 30000 gp by the guidelines for a use-activated item. If you could get a Ranger to make it for you, the cost would drop to 2*4*2000 = 16000 gp because it is a second level Ranger spell and a minimum level Ranger casting it has caster level 4, but when a spell is on multiple spell lists the class that is more focused on spellcasting is the default for items. See the part just above the table for scroll (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/scrolls.htm) prices for the reference.

A72
For the minimum price versions, no. The psionic version has the option of paying more to get an augmented version that gives you a circumstance bonus on damage when using it, however.

A74
I'm not completely sure about this, but I think the temp HP from different sources do stack. Multiple applications of the same source, however, do not.

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2007-03-09, 11:48 PM
A. 074 further comment

A74
I'm not completely sure about this, but I think the temp HP from different sources do stack. Multiple applications of the same source, however, do not.

There is nothing that indicates that they would not stack. It was also further dealt with in the FAQ

Do temporary hit points from two applications of the same effect stack? What about from different effects? If I have temporary hit points from multiple sources, how should I apply damage?
Temporary hit points from two applications of the same
effect don’t stack; instead, the highest number of temporary hit points applies in place of all others. Temporary hit points from different sources stack, but you must keep track of them separately.
If the character then cast false life on herself, she would add the full benefit of that spell to the temporary hit points from the aid spell.
Temporary hit points are “first-in, first-out.” Damage
should be taken off the oldest temporary-hit-point-granting effect first; when that effect is exhausted, apply damage to the next oldest effect. For this reason, you must track each supply of temporary hit points separately.

Nekoshodan
2007-03-10, 03:03 PM
Q75

I have been looking at lycanthrope templates for characters, and I am a bit confused by the level adjustment. All that is listed is +3 for a natural lycanthrope, or +2 for afflicted.

Does a human WereRat:
+0Str, +6Dex, +2Con
1d4 claw and 1d6 bite in hybrid form(medium)
+1HD (d8)
extra feats: Alertness, Weapon Finesse
Additional Saves: fort+2, ref+2, will+2

Really have the same level adjustment as a human WereTiger?:
+12str, +4Dex, +6Con
1d6 claw and 1d8 bite in hybrid form(large)
+6HD (d8)
extra feats: Alertness, Improved Natural Attack(both bite and claw)
Additional Saves: fort+5, ref+5, will+2

I did not list the special qualities that would be identical for any lycanthrope.

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2007-03-10, 03:07 PM
A. 075

Yes.

Level Adjustment: Same as the base creature +2 (afflicted) or +3 (natural). In addition, a lycanthrope’s character level is increased by the number of racial Hit Dice the base animal has.

Remember that ECL = HD + LA

ski309
2007-03-10, 04:05 PM
Q76
If a person rolls a natural 20 on an attack roll against an enemy with concealment, does the attack hit regardless of the concealment chance or does the concealment chance still come into play?

Shhalahr Windrider
2007-03-10, 04:09 PM
A 076

Concealment still comes into play.

njero
2007-03-10, 05:32 PM
Q. 077

By RAW, when do 20s and 1s result in automatic successes and failures. My group keeps switching back and forth on this one.

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2007-03-10, 05:48 PM
A. 077

Saving Throws and Attack Rolls

Douglas
2007-03-10, 05:49 PM
A77
Attack rolls and saving throws only. Note that critical confirmation rolls are described as "another attack roll (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/combat/actionsInCombat.htm#criticalHits)", so automatic success and failure rules for attack rolls also cover critical confirmation rolls. Same with anything else that uses an attack roll or saving throw for some purpose other than the usual.

The most common misconception/houserule (I think) is that skill checks automatically succeed or fail on 20s and 1s, which is incorrect. If someone has to make a DC 15 skill check and his bonus is +14, he doesn't need to roll because even a 1 will meet the DC and succeed.

ColdFire
2007-03-10, 08:12 PM
Q78: Do Stairs count as difficult terrain? Or is there a set movment modifier for stairs somewhere in the rules?

- Coldfire

Shhalahr Windrider
2007-03-10, 09:38 PM
A 078

Rules for stairs are in the SRD: http://www.systemreferencedocuments.org/35/sovelior_sage/wildernessAndEnvironment.html#dungeon-terrain#stairs

Movement modifiers depend on the type of stairs.

Myatar_Panwar
2007-03-11, 02:27 AM
Q 079

Ok, so I'm a bit confused on movement through the plane of shadow. The DMG states that the Plane of Shadow allows you to move great strides. And when you read the Shadow Walk spell description, it says that you move 50 miles an hour, which is (by my calculations) 440 feet a round. But then again that is in between the two planes. So my question is: How does movement work on the Plane of Shadow.

(also, any other info about movement on the border of the two planes, etc. would be appreciated)

Vazzaroth
2007-03-11, 02:32 AM
Q 080

Does a shield bash incur standard 2 weapon fighting penalties? Does that mean two weapon defence can be used on shields?

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2007-03-11, 02:38 AM
A. 079

I don't think there is anymore RAW information than you have already found.

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2007-03-11, 02:41 AM
A. 080

Yes, you treat the shield like you would any other off-hand weapon.

Two weapon Defense apply, but it grants a shield bonus that does not stack with the shield bonus to AC granted by shields.

Zherog
2007-03-11, 09:57 AM
A. 075

Yes.

Remember that ECL = HD + LA

A. 075 more info:

While the wererat and weretiger have the exact save level adjustment (LA), don't forget that you also acquire animal hit dice when you become a lycanthrope. And the animal hit die is a fairly sucky one overall, which factors into it.

A wererat gets 1 animal hit die; a weretiger gets 6. So if each were 1st level fighters, the wererat would have an ECL of 4 (1 level + 1 HD + 2 LA), while the weretiger would have an ECL of 9 (1 level + 6 HD + 2 LA). Very different characters.

Charity
2007-03-11, 10:05 AM
Q81 When a caster uses a scroll of a level they cannot yet use they have to make a caster level check (DC scrolls caster level +1) is this roll modified by anything? ie is a caster level check modified by any stat or level bonus?

As it stands there is no difference between a 1st level caster and a 15th level caster using a 9th (spell) level scroll

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2007-03-11, 10:16 AM
A. 081

To make a caster level check you roll a d20 and add your caster level (1d20 + CL).

So the difference between a 1st level and a 15th level caster's average caster level check is 14.

Certain class features (like the Archmage's Spell Power) and Cleric Domains also increases effective Caster Level and thereby your chance of succeeding on caster level checks.

marjan
2007-03-11, 05:18 PM
Q082
Heart of water spell lets you activate Freedom of Movement as swift action for the duration of the spell. Would you be able to activate it while paralized since you can take purely mental actions? In other words is this swift action purely mental or not?

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2007-03-11, 05:28 PM
A. 082

A swift action is not a purely mental action by virtue of its swiftness.

If it requires the use of verbal, somatic and/or material components it is not a purely mental action.

marjan
2007-03-11, 05:35 PM
Q082 more...
In the spell description it says: "while this spell is active you can use swift action to activate a freedom of movement(as the spell) effect as swift action"
What I meant was: what components this activation (swift action) has - same as spell or something different?

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2007-03-11, 05:38 PM
A. 082 Ahhhhh

Yes, that would probably qualify as a purely mental action, since there is no "components" to such an activation, unless otherwise specified.

The FAQ provides the following guideline:

What exactly counts as a “purely mental” action, such as those allowed to the second mind created by the schism power (Expanded Psionics Handbook, page 130)? Does a silent, still spell count? What about a spell-like ability or a quickened spell?

The schism power specifically includes manifesting a power as an example of a purely mental action. Elsewhere in Expanded Psionics Handbook, this is expanded to include “casting spells with no verbal, somatic, or material components.” Thus, a silent, still spell wouldn’t count unless the spell also had no material components (including focuses).
A spell-like ability is essentially a spell without verbal, somatic, or material components (and is described on page 180 of the Player’s Handbook as being activated “mentally”) so that qualifies as purely mental. This would also include psi-like abilities.
Although a quickened spell doesn’t provoke attacks of opportunity, it still includes any verbal, somatic, or material components required by the nonquickened version of the spell, and thus doesn’t automatically qualify as a “purely mental” action by virtue of its speed.
The Sage can think of a few other actions that fall into the category of “purely mental” actions:
• Communicating with telepathy.
• Concentrating to maintain a spell.
• Dismissing a spell.
• Directing or redirecting an active spell.
• Lowering spell resistance.
• Making a Knowledge check (assuming you aren’t consulting a text or other resource). Some other skill checks might be allowed at the DM’s option (such as a Spellcraft check made to identify a spell effect), but only if the character makes the check without any movement.
When in doubt, the DM should use common sense and a pretty literal definition of “purely mental” to determine if something fits the bill. If the action requires any physical movement whatsoever (including speech), it shouldn’t qualify.

RMS Oceanic
2007-03-12, 08:44 AM
Q 83

I'm not entirely sure about what gets multiplied on a succesful critical attack. I believe it's the following:

*The base damage of the weapon
*Your strength modifier (*1/5 or 0.5 as appropriate), or Dex if you have weapon finesse)
*Enhancement bonuses (Like a +1 sword)
*Other enhancements due to your own skills (Weapon Specialization)

As an example, I believe that if I, a fighter with strength 18 and weapon specialization for it, achieve a critical hit with a +2 Flaming Bastard Sword weilded in both hands, I believe the following is doubled:

*The 1d10 base damage
*The 6 strength related damage
*The 2 damage from the +2 enhancement
*The 2 damage from weapon specialization
*But not the 1d6 from the flaming ability

Meaning the weapon hits for 2d10 + 20 + 1d6.

Am I correct? Are there any other factors that get multiplied on a critical hit, or have I taken too many things into account?

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2007-03-12, 09:01 AM
A. 083

You got it about right.
Extra damage dice do not get multiplied, while static bonuses do get multiplied on a successful critical hit - as you said.

Note: You do not add Dex to damage, not even if you have the Weapon Finesse feat.

Multiplying Damage: Sometimes you multiply damage by some factor, such as on a critical hit. Roll the damage (with all modifiers) multiple times and total the results. Note: When you multiply damage more than once, each multiplier works off the original, unmultiplied damage.

Exception: Extra damage dice over and above a weapon’s normal damage are never multiplied.

Raum
2007-03-12, 12:25 PM
Q 84 Does CR correlate to ECL? In other words, if I advance a monster via HD, templates with LA, or class levels which raise the creature's ECL, is the CR raised by the same amount, some other related amount, or is the CR unrelated to ECL at all?

Shhalahr Windrider
2007-03-12, 12:33 PM
A 084

They are technically unrelated, but anything that increases CR is likely to increase LA and vice versa.

Douglas
2007-03-12, 02:15 PM
A84
CR adjustments for adding HD depend on the type of HD as outlined here (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/improvingMonsters.htm#addingHitDice).
Templates typically have a separate CR adjustment specified, so you can just apply that.
Class levels increase CR by either 1 per 2 levels or 1 for each level, depending on whether the class in question works well for the particular monster. Reference (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/improvingMonsters.htm#addingClassLevels).

Almost everything that increases ECL except associated class levels has a much reduced effect on CR.

Wamba the Fool
2007-03-12, 03:04 PM
Q085

Does magical damage from a weapon (the 1d6 from Shock, for example) apply when making a damage roll for a sunder check?

Thanks in advance.

Fax Celestis
2007-03-12, 03:10 PM
A085 Yes, unless for some reason the item being sundered has immunity.

Shhalahr Windrider
2007-03-12, 03:25 PM
Re: A 085

Note, however that energy damage still faces the usual modifications against attacking objects.

Q 86

If you make a sundering attack with a flaming greatsword +1, dealing 10 slashing damage from the sword and 2 fire damage from the flaming ability (after the energy damage is halved as usual against an object), do you apply hardness agains the total 12 points of damage or separately against the slashing and fire? I suspect the latter, but I could be wrong.

Fax Celestis
2007-03-12, 03:31 PM
A086 I would say apply against it as one lump sum of damage, but I don't have a RAW source to back me up. You don't apply DR against sword and sneak attack seperately, and I don't see why this would be any different.

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2007-03-12, 03:42 PM
A. 086

I agree. The attack only constitutes one application of damage, so hardness should only be deducted once.

Zherog
2007-03-12, 04:06 PM
You don't apply DR against sword and sneak attack seperately, and I don't see why this would be any different.

That's an invalid comparison. You do apply DR to weapon damage, while energy damage is unaffected. In my opinion, this is the correct interpretation:

separately against the slashing and fire

edit: actually, I'm not sure that's entirely correct either. In my opinion, the hardness reduces the physical damage, but the full elemental damage goes through regardless.

Fax Celestis
2007-03-12, 04:22 PM
That's an invalid comparison. You do apply DR to weapon damage, while energy damage is unaffected. In my opinion, this is the correct interpretation:

edit: actually, I'm not sure that's entirely correct either. In my opinion, the hardness reduces the physical damage, but the full elemental damage goes through regardless.

Except the SRD reads (paraphrased) "halve the elemental damage (unless acid or sonic) before applying hardness." So, one would think that you do apply the hardness to the damage. And applying seperately doesn't make sense, since it's still one source of damage.

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2007-03-12, 04:22 PM

Hardness is not DR.
Hardness applies to both physical damage and elemental damage, but when they are delivered with the same attack I cannot see anything suggesting that they should be treated as separate sources of damage.

Fax Celestis
2007-03-12, 04:28 PM
Here's the relevant bits:

Hardness
Each object has hardness—a number that represents how well it resists damage. Whenever an object takes damage, subtract its hardness from the damage. Only damage in excess of its hardness is deducted from the object’s hit points.

Energy Attacks
Acid and sonic attacks deal damage to most objects just as they do to creatures; roll damage and apply it normally after a successful hit. Electricity and fire attacks deal half damage to most objects; divide the damage dealt by 2 before applying the hardness. Cold attacks deal one-quarter damage to most objects; divide the damage dealt by 4 before applying the hardness.

From this, it looks like you roll damage (weapon and elemental), halve (or quarter) the elemental damage as appropriate, then apply hardness to the whole bundle.

Zherog
2007-03-12, 04:32 PM
Given those rules quotes, I agree. I was simply objecting to the comparison to sneak attack with DR, because elemental damage with DR is factored separately, and we're talking about elemental damage.

crazedloon
2007-03-12, 06:00 PM
Q087

Blind-Fight does not effect ranged fighting or does it?

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2007-03-12, 06:04 PM
A. 087

No, it does not.

asqwasqw
2007-03-12, 06:57 PM
Q088: Are caltrops reusable?

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2007-03-12, 07:01 PM
A. 088

Yes.

asqwasqw
2007-03-12, 07:08 PM
Q:088

Dropping an backpack is a free action, right?

Shhalahr Windrider
2007-03-12, 07:13 PM
A 088

No. It straps to your person, so it takes more effort than just dropping something from your hands.

What kind of action is it to drop gear, such as a backpack or a sack? For instance, I have players that load
up their PCs with so much gear that they become encumbered. During battle they argue that it’s a free action to drop their gear to lose the encumbrance penalties. I feel that they are trying to get a fast one over me. What do you think?

Generally speaking it is a free action to drop anything that you’re holding in your hands. That said, anything that you strap to your person, such as a backpack, should be treated similarly to a shield, which takes a move action.

marjan
2007-03-12, 07:46 PM
Q089 Is it possible to have item grant bonus to ability score that is not enhancement or inherent? If so are there any rules that support this and what type could the bonuses be?

crazedloon
2007-03-12, 07:50 PM
Q090
it sounds wierd but can you get Mithral padded armor (i.e the lightest armor on the list)?

marjan
2007-03-12, 07:52 PM
A090 No only metal armors can be made from Mithral.

Shhalahr Windrider
2007-03-12, 08:16 PM
A 089

I am not aware of any actual published items that do so, but you could create one yourself. Though it would likely present a balance threat if the bonus were continuous, as in the case of a headband of intellect +2 or similar enhancement-granting bonus.

A good way to start would be simply having an item that duplicated the effects of a spell like elation from Book of Exalted Deeds. Elation grants morale bonuses to Strength and Dexterity and increases the targets' speed.

asqwasqw
2007-03-12, 09:38 PM
Q091 Can you put an ever burning torch in your pack safely?

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2007-03-12, 09:42 PM
A. 091

Yes, it does not create heat or use oxygen.

asqwasqw
2007-03-12, 09:45 PM
Yeesh, I have so many questions...
Q092: How long does a full waterskin last?

Shhalahr Windrider
2007-03-12, 11:06 PM
A 092
Up to half a day.

A character needs at least one gallon of water per day. (http://www.systemreferencedocuments.org/35/sovelior_sage/wildernessAndEnvironment.html#starvation-and-thirst)

A full waterskin carries half a gallon of water. (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/rg/20040406a).

It may last less in dry environments where characters need more water.

These are for medium creatures. You may get differing values for waterskins made for smaller or larger creatures.