PDA

View Full Version : A Little Advice Needed

Neon Knight
2007-02-27, 07:44 AM
So, I started Dming a game online, and I have discovered I do love Dming. I love it dearly. However, the original game I set up no longer interests me. I originally set it up to replicate some concepts I read in a book, concepts I am no longer so interested in. I also allowed a lot of material from books I didn't personally own and look over. Combine this with a few overpowered home brew creations of mine, and you have a mess. I have also learned that a low to no magic campaign messes with the balance heavily, and that I actually prefer games with magic in them; not as much as say Eberron or Greyhawk, but certainly more than the game I'm running. What's worse is that I'm unsure of what to do.

I don't know if I should keep this game running or pull the plug on it. I'd rather devote more time to my much more interesting a well though out concept, and several other games I have planned. (Among which is a Half Life and Half Life 2 D20 Game)

Should I just drop the game or struggle on with it?

marjan
2007-02-27, 07:56 AM
Then you should quit it. You are good Dm as long as you like being one. If DMing games like this isn't interesting to you then what's the point of DMing. It may dissapoint your players if they like it, but you should be able to come to some sort of agreement satisfying for all of you.

Foxer
2007-02-27, 09:57 AM
I'd be inclined to drop it. It sounds like you're getting bored, and it sounds like you've made some mistakes. Don't sweat it - we all screw up from time to time. Just be honest with your players, and tell them that the next game will be even better.

squishycube
2007-02-27, 10:03 AM
And note the implicit message in Foxer's message: stay with the same group. They are likely to feel a bit cheated if you leave them with nothing, but if you create a new campaign for them I don't think anyone would really complain.

Truwar
2007-02-27, 10:19 AM
I would avoid doing something so final as making an official "quitting" statement. Just inform your group you would like to try something new and set the previous game aside. This gives you the option to go back and pick it up if you ever get the desire to do so.

tape_measure
2007-02-27, 11:47 AM
I've thought about doing this myself, as I have three games here that have everything do with each other. I started them nearly 2 years ago and now I feel like it will take me another 2 years to get all 3 games to the point of the big climax. I've been debating with myself to just move the games all forward and forget about the smaller plots they find along the way.

But wait...isn't that the point of DnD?

Personally, I'd say stick with it. Change a few things here and there along the way (IE, new advances with magics, dying off of races/feats/classes/etc that you don't have access to) just to keep interest in the over-all theme you have going.

Worse case scenario: Finish up what plot line (big or small) you have going at this moment. After the last blow (or whathaveyou), wrap it all up in a post for the players and leave it with a cliffhanger of some sort. Then, start up the game you really want to play and design the rule set you want to use.

The key here: Stick with it. Don't let a player talk you into something you aren't comfortable with. I've done that. It's not a lot of fun for anyone except the person bending the rules and if it ain't you, something's wrong. :smallwink:

Avenger337
2007-02-27, 11:53 AM
You don't even necessarily have to tell them, unless you're planning on switching worlds, or whatever. Just make a few subtle shifts in the plot or whatever they're doing currently to move them in the new direction you want to go (of course this depends on how drastic of a change you're making).

PnP Fan
2007-02-27, 03:25 PM
I would suggest that you at least finish up your story with the folks you are running for. That way you don't just leave them high and dry. Make it good and fun though, and when you tell them you are discontinuing it won't be so bad. If you do a good job, they'll probably come back for more in the new setting you want to run.