PDA

View Full Version : new animal compendium for D&D 3.5

0rion79
2007-02-27, 12:58 PM
Beta version: http://www.savefile.com/files/521551

Hello! I'm an expert D&D player and, after reading the nonsense written in the 3.0 and 3.5 monster manual, I decided to completely re-write the animal part of the monster manual.
Why a new animal compendium?
First of all, because now animals are much more similar to their real counterparts ( I made several researches on wikipedia and discovery channel and so on... ), their stats are calculated through a proto-mathematical process, and each animal now has its own fighting strategy.
More, it contains extra rules and may be used almost by every character class, since it contains useful data for mounts, summon spells, animal companions or just for animal trainers :) Not to name the fact that it includes the templates for dire and legendary animals and may give new inspiration for werewolves.
Of course, since I'm italian, I'm sure that there are mistakes here and there in the language, but I think you may like it, at least to see once the stats that I've calculated or the photos (thanks to gnu and tigerterritory.com)
Please, give me your comments, to improve it, and don't be too hard with my first experiment!
See you and feel free to mail me!

Mattia Loy

http://www.savefile.com/files/521551

PS: the file is in RAR archive

Eighth_Seraph
2007-02-27, 05:00 PM
P'raps it would be best if you copy/pasted your work into the opening post for those of us paranoid of our computer's health and of downloads from strange web sites.

Draz74
2007-02-27, 07:14 PM
Yeah, great idea, but if you could make it not require a download, that would be much more intriguing. :smallsmile: Maybe make a simple website (http://googlepages.com) to show it off?

Vaynor
2007-02-27, 07:22 PM
Sounds like a great idea, but as said before please don't require a download.

Wow, I'm on a Mac and I'm still cautious. :smallwink:

lonewolf23k
2007-02-27, 09:38 PM
...What's an XLS file?

0rion79
2007-02-28, 12:40 AM
Hello people. I simply used an Excell document (that is a standard stuff available with Microsoft Office) to create several pages, each for every animal species (dogs, cats, deers, elephants, whales, dinosaurs, ecc...).
I'm even afraid that this site can't preserve the same cells format that excell uses!
But, anyway, dont' worry: that site is just a free hosting site that I use to share MP3 and tablatures with the guys of my rock band and it is 100% secure. Just click on the link and then again on the grey & orange link at the end of the page.

Peregrine
2007-02-28, 04:39 AM
Lo, I have braved the dangers of downloading strange RARs, for the sake of the forums, that more homebrew might be brought to the masses! :smalltongue:

Here's the start of the 'General Notes' section (which is rather longer than I thought), and I might find time to transcribe more of it later (unless 0rion79 objects, of course...) My own comments will also go in a later post.

General notes:

D&D 3.5 is a fantastic game but, for some unknown reason, animals described in the monster compendium look more like versions from collective immagination, than effective representation of their real counterparts. Following the original tabs, there was something foolish, like the thin and agile cheetah being stronger than a wolf, with its fierce bite, or a tiger alone almost able to kill an elephant! Not to talk about the mess with whales and sharks.
This document proposes more realistic stats for animals, based upon rudimental mathematical process, new feats and simple rules to calculate the differences between males and females and more. Still, it is necessary to specify some things: for sure, if an animal weights twice another animal, this doesn't mean that it has twice the first animal's HPs and that it is twice more "skilled" in battle. The HDs relationship is good mainly in the range from small to big size categories, and it just try to be a compromise with animals from huge and bigger size categories, even because fat storages and heavy bones usually tend to compromise the mathematical process.
Still, very big creatures are made to "indicate" that they are bigger than others, using greater constitution and dices are used to symbolically represent those differences.
The intent is to entertain the Dungeon Master with an intuitive lecture filled with RPGs elements and, at the same time, to grant intuitive explanations for different animal fighting strategies that, read once, will be immediately assimilated without wasting the game, exceding in complexity.

Note for beginners: the voices "Save Rolls" and Characteristics are ALWAYS refered in order to "Endurance, Reflexes and Will saving throws" and to "STRenght, DEXterity, CONstitution, INTelligence, WISdom and CHArisma skills", always in this order.

Relative score. When comparing animals, always renember that scores are always related to the animal itself and are not absolute values and do not forget that small animals, even if they have a low strength, are usually very light too, so their personal DC for jumping or running is lower than usual too. More, always remember that some values, especialy attributes like strength, dexterity and constitution, do not represent absolute values but are related to the animal size. So, if two creatures have the same strength but are from different sizes, don't image that these creatures are equally stronger since STRength represent the ability to concentrate damage in one blow too, and not only the ability to carry loads, or to pull things.
Superior senses: animals usually have superior hearing and smell senses. For this reason, they may choose to take 10 to listen checks. More, some animals have natural skills in running, jumping or a better looking. There may be no track of these boosts, but are already calculated into the animal's prototype.
[hr]
New size: Average. The most useable animals are the ones between small and big size. Still, the standard classification prooved to be too poor, considering the real size of many animals. Without the tail, an adult male lion or tiger is not so longer than an adult man's height, they are just more massive and, for sure, they are smaller than a bull or an horse, that really deserve the "big size" status. Not to name that really a lot of big animals are esactly in the limits for medium size described in DM handbook (page 29). For this reason, it is better to include those animals into a new category: average, that is esactly in the middle between the medium and big one.
An animal with average size must be considered like an animal of big size, except for what follows:
graple/stability bonus +2; stats changes from medium to average size (or from average to big): STR +2, DEX -, CON +2; natural weapons damage to big size: noone.
Note that animals of average size may start grapples and trip even small creatures, while animals of big size may do the same even with medium creatures.
An animal at average size may be used as a mount by a medium size creature and does not get the -1 penality to base armor class for size, since they are not big
enough to grant such a bonus to an attacker.
About the druidic wildshape ability, a druid may choose the shape of an animal of average size from the 7th level.

Categories: some animals are grouped into sub categories, to classify them accordingly with criteria like body shape, environoments and species.
Hit Dices: since it was impossible to use only the D8 to calculate the HPs for all animals, especially huge or gargantuans like elephants or whales, the dice used to calculate the HPs changes accordingly with the animal size.
{table=head]size|dice faces
minute|2
tiny|4
small|6
average|8
medium|8
big|8
huge|10
mastodontic|12
gargantuan|20[/table]
The base attack bonus, skill points and all other variabiles are not modified by the new used dice. Still, it is still good the general rule that animals use the 8-faces dice
for hit points, since medium and big animals are the most common ones.
Note: HDs for huge or bigger animals have been halved, since their outstanding weight, granted by fat, and very dense muscles and bones, makes null the relationship between the average human weight and the animal's weight and at least half of their outstanding constitution has been represented not with HDs but with the constitution
attribute.
[hr]
Males & Females
Usually, males are bigger and stronger than females and the animal description is referred to a young male or an average female (or the opposite in case of animals
where the female is bigger, like for hyenas).
While a juvenile male may be considered equal to an adult female, an adult male usually starts with extra HDs and a bonus to strength equal to the "bonus factor" shown in the table below.
The extra HDs granted to males are part of the basic animal advancement while a female has its HD advancement reduced by the same quantity. For example, if a medium size animal starts with 4 HDs and the voice "advancement" shows 5-8 HDs, the male will start with 2 extra HDs for a total of 6 HDs, a +2 bonus to strength and may reach a top of 8 HDs total, while a female may reach only a top of 6 HDs total.
Note what follows:
With small animals, usually the boost will not be significant to deal extradamage but will affect the transport capacity only.
The HD type does not change if the enhanced animal reaches a new size, due to the animal body structure, but the bonus factor is replaced by the one of the new category size. So, for example, if a male black bear grows enough to reach the "big" size, its "gender strength bonus" passes from +2 to +3 and it gets one extra HD.
Due to the game limit, it is impossible to represent any boost with minute animals or smaller.
{table=head]size|Bonus factor
minute|-
tiny|+1 HP
small|1
medium|2
average|3
big|3
huge|4
mastodontic|5
gargantuan|6[/table]
Note: If the bonus factor is greater than the extra HDs indicated in the "advancement" voice, the animal is enhanced untill the maximum available HD. For example, if a medium size animal that starts with 1 HD has an advancement to 2 HDs total, even if the bonus factor for medium-size animals is 2 and it would bring that animal to a total of 3 HDs, it would "grow" no more than 2 HDs total.

Females & cubs: if a female animal is guarding its cubs and they are under the menace of another animal or hunter, the female animal will fight to death, accordingly with the animal nature, will become extremely aggressive and will get an adrenaline rush that will give them the same strength bonus granted to males, without extra HDs

0rion79
2007-02-28, 04:48 AM
Well, thanks! I have no objections, even if, now that you have proved that the file is virus-free & safe, I would like more that interested people would download it first, read it and then post and discuss together only the parts of interest, for which maybe you have some advice or that you feel wrong.
Please, remember: english is not my mother language, so don't be too hard and instead help me to improve the text part, if you want!
And remember too, that this document don't want to be a "must follow this rule" but only a "this is my point of view: if you like it, you're wellcomed"

Glooble Glistencrist
2007-02-28, 02:09 PM
Gamebird posted something very similar a couple of weeks ago. You may want to go back andd find it.

0rion79
2007-03-01, 02:33 AM
Thanks for the hints, but I would still appreciate some comments about my work, thank you!

0rion79
2007-03-04, 12:12 PM
So, ppl, may I hope for a comment, please? I've seen that some of you already downloaded the file... Thanks!

Wolf_Boy
2007-03-05, 11:03 PM
I like it but have a few comments and a request.

One, skunks and squirrels would be a nice addition.

Two, you are missing one of the greatest sharks of all time, the mako shark. As the most intelligent of the shark species it would be a great addition, plus it would allow for a shark with an intelligence of two.

Three, wolverines have a powerful musk similar to that of a skunk, also they leave very strong scent trails wherever they go.

Four: the Tasmanian Devil is missing one of the main reasons it can take out such larger prey and is so dangerous. It's not just vicious but has the most powerful musk in the animal kingdom, even more so than the skunk. The scent can be very overpowering to the point of disorientation and in some cases unconsciousness.

Five: Whether they can be familiars or not, and if not if they can later be with the improved familiar feat.

Six: I'd also argue that Ravens would fall under the three intelligence category, however, that is debatable

Seven: What is the run skill?

There are probably other discrepancies but it is late and I need sleep. It was overall a good job, and refreshing to see someone work on this stuff that's willing to put in a bit of research.

0rion79
2007-03-06, 06:09 AM
Man, thanks very much. here are the answers:

One, skunks and squirrels would be a nice addition.
I must admit that I never thought about them. yes, they would be nice and could be added, even if I wonder what use they could have... squirrels may be good as familiars, but with what bonus for the mage/sorcerer?
And would the skunk be good as foe or summoned creature? And how could we simulate her stink? Like the monk stunning effect?

Two, you are missing one of the greatest sharks of all time, the mako shark. As the most intelligent of the shark species it would be a great addition, plus it would allow for a shark with an intelligence of two.
I found no informations about the mako shark, so I didn't even include it among the others. Prehaps, it could share the same stats of another kind of shark...

Three, wolverines have a powerful musk similar to that of a skunk, also they leave very strong scent trails wherever they go.
Four: the Tasmanian Devil is missing one of the main reasons it can take out such larger prey and is so dangerous. It's not just vicious but has the most powerful musk in the animal kingdom, even more so than the skunk. The scent can be very overpowering to the point of disorientation and in some cases unconsciousness.
It can be easily added, I'll do it.

Five: Whether they can be familiars or not, and if not if they can later be with the improved familiar feat.
There is the matter of the bonus for the wizard, but can be done.

Six: I'd also argue that Ravens would fall under the three intelligence category, however, that is debatable
I agree, they are smart.

Seven: What is the run skill?
Something that I forgot to remove from the "alpha" version, and that should not be included into the beta. You know, there are so many details that I forgot it! :p Even if, I must say that this leads to the nonsense that bigger animals have more skills than smaller animals. I guess that a squirrel is no less skilled than a t-rex....

There are probably other discrepancies but it is late and I need sleep. It was overall a good job, and refreshing to see someone work on this stuff that's willing to put in a bit of research.
Thank you. If you all will help me more, I think I can do even better.
PS: did you like the descriptions and the pics?

Wolf_Boy
2007-03-06, 01:28 PM
The pictures and descriptions were good, :-)

I think Donkeys might need some balance or small amounts of the climb skill as they evolved in mountain areas and are very sure footed. Also, miniature donkeys are fun too. Also they aren't "just as smart" as horses, they are smarter. Also the reason they seem stubborn is that, unlike horses who bolt at the drop of a hat, donkeys due to their evolution at higher elevations have learned to be cautious and are not being stubborn so much as making sure they are comfortable with where they are going. A false step in the mountains will be your last.

As for animals and skills. That's what racial skill bonuses are for, and animals need more of them to represent than races do, as animals only get 1 skill point per hit die (which is still silly to me) and are certainly better than humans in lots of skills depending on the animal. Example, jumping for a kangaroo and spotting for an eagle, both of which humans should never come close to, but then again this is fantasy...

Um... I just noticed panda bears were lumped in with the bears. You do realize panda bears are not actually bears, right?

0rion79
2007-03-07, 10:38 AM
Yep, I know it about donkeys, but the problem is that D&D does not have enough "points" to represent all the degrees of intelligence of all animals. prehaps, I may lightly rise wisdom and charisma for donkeys to represent that difference with horses.
About bears, yes: I know it, but still pandas are grouped together with them as collective immagination result, that's why.
And, about skill points, yes... but still, an epic level character is supposed to overcome an animal's skills, that's the game limits... anyway, next week I guess I'll start to apply your suggestions.
If you want to help me, suggest some bonuses for the new animals that you would include as familiars, their stats (str, dex, con...) and challenge rating, as well, maybe as the skunk's stink effect :)
See you!

Thantos
2007-03-07, 09:13 PM
Are you going to post it here? If so that would be very much appreciated because I can't view the file for some reason.

Siberys
2007-03-07, 10:44 PM
First of all, a number of these sizes aren't D&D size categories. I'll assume you're using a set of rulebooks from a language other than English, but translated, accounting for the difference. If that's the case, there's no problem. This also applies to some other things, but listing them is unnecessary.

Second, you do realize that creatures with INT 3 or greater are SENTIENT? I know about CoCo the Gorilla - but, still.

Run's already been noted

Anyway, for an example, this is how a Baboon should probably look, using yours as a base, done in standard English format (seen Here (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/baboon.htm), for example)

Baboon
Small Animal
HD: 1d6+1 (4)
Initiative: +3
Speed: 30 feet (6 squares)
Armor Class: 16 (+1 nat, +1 size, +3 dex), Flat-footed 12, Touch 14
Base Attack/Grapple: +0/+0
Attack: Bite 1d4, +4 melee
Full Attack: Bite 1d4, +4 melee
Space/Range: 5 Feet / 5 Feet
Special attacks: ---
Special Qualities: Low-Light Vision, Scent
Saves: Fort +3, Ref +5, Will +2
Characteristics: Str 10, Dex 17, Con 12, Int 2, Wis 14, Cha 3
Skills: Tumble +5, listen +2, spot +2, climb +9, hide +7,
move silently +3, jump +1, balance +3.
Feats: Weapon Finesse, acrobatic (b)
Environment: Warm Plains
Organization: Solitary or pack (6-40)
Challenge Rating: 1/4
Advancement: 2-3 (M)

Baboons
Baboons gain a +8 bonus to Climb checks and do not lose their Dexterity bonus to AC while climbing. They may take 10 on Climb checks, even if rushed or threatened.

List of Changes -

Reduced Int to 2 to conform with other D&D animals
Removed one point from Hide to account for change in Int (then noticed that reducing from 3 to 2 doesn't change the Ability Modifier, so changed it back :smallredface: )
A bunch of minor formatting to bring it in line with standard English formatting.

Wolf_Boy
2007-03-08, 12:28 AM
Siberys

I think part of the point of this is to help represent animals more like they are in real life, I personally question the sentience of a three to four intelligence human just as much as an ape, raven or the like. Half the point is that the D&D rules are ridiculous. 1 or 2 does not represent the range of intelligence of these animals. Now MAYBE I could accept 1 or 2 intelligence IF there is some kind of other way to represent these differences in ability.

Of course I'm also of the opinion animals should use wisdom instead of intelligence for skill points, but be limited to perception and physical skills, with maybe survival and intimidate as options as well.

Though I also have been confused by the sizes as many things are touted as huge which aren't really huge sized...

Vorpal Pete
2007-03-08, 01:29 AM
Wow, this is a lot of very nice work! As other people keep mentioning the sizes, here is a quick equivalency:

?=fine (cockroach)
minute=diminutive (mouse)
tiny=tiny (cat)
small=small (german shepherd)
medium=medium (adult human)
average=(new category, lion)
big=large (horse)
huge=huge (elephant)
mastodontic=gargantuan (sperm whale)
gargantuan=colossal (blue whale)

I'd like to see the inclusion of some swarm animals, maybe, and turtles and tortoises. A chart for using particular animals as familiars or animal companions would also be great... The whole thing reminds me of that "tiger vs. alligator" show that was on television for awhile.

The only thing I'd change is that some of the animals are way too fearsome when compared with a mid-level warrior or monster. The draft horse seems especially powerful - I'd expect any healthy armed man to be able to kill a clydesdale in short order, but as you wrote it the clydesdale would kill a squad of orcs with ease and even a griffon would have a desperate fight for its life before it could settle down to a delicious horse dinner.

Wippit Guud
2007-03-08, 01:41 AM
Baboons
Baboons gain a +8 bonus to Climb checks and do not lose their Dexterity bonus to AC while climbing. They may take 10 on Climb checks, even if rushed or threatened.

Baboons don't climb. They're ground-dwelling

0rion79
2007-03-08, 02:47 AM
Thanks, Siberius, you did me a great favor because, as I wrote before, I'm italian and I have only italian handbooks, so I don't know how to esactly translate some words that in UK D&D have specific names, like the size categories, that I'll quickly correct next week.

About intelligence, I wrote about it in the intro of my handbook:

Behind the scene: animal intelligence.
If a playing character would ask to a druid about animal intelligence, he or she would say that all animals are somehow smart, many of them just in different ways.
Yes, there are some animals that are smartest, others that are less but, more or less, all of them have a sort of instinct that fills the lack of a human intelligence.
Regardless of an intelligence grater than 2, animals cannot talk. Here are some samples about how to interpretate animal intelligence:
Intelligence example consequence
1 buffalo, snake The animal cares about survival needs only, is solitary or lives into packs characterized by an easy interaction and hierarchical order.
2 dog, cat The animal may be solitary or used to live in complex packs. Its mind is flexible, may learn new elmenents about surrounding word and has an attitude to problem sloving, even if very limited, and a sort of sensitiveness to relate with other animal, even from different species.
3 elephant, whale The animal is just smart, characterized by self-awareness and a complex kind of "language".
4 ape Only primates have an intelligence of 4, and are the smartest of all animals, so smart to reason and think like 3 years-old children.

By fact, since animals do have only 2 skill points per level, it doesn't really matter if their intelligence is 8 or 1, since they still get only 1 skill point per level. Instead, it is more interesting by a role-playing point of view.

Ah, for the recods, baboons effectively do live on the ground, but they often seek refuge by predators climbing upon trees or climbing rocky areas to reach higher positions. They are good climbers, even if not as good as chimps or orangutan that do live more often on trees.

0rion79
2007-03-08, 03:11 AM
he only thing I'd change is that some of the animals are way too fearsome when compared with a mid-level warrior or monster. The draft horse seems especially powerful - I'd expect any healthy armed man to be able to kill a clydesdale in short order, but as you wrote it the clydesdale would kill a squad of orcs with ease and even a griffon would have a desperate fight for its life before it could settle down to a delicious horse dinner.

By fact, these animals are very strong and powerful. They are really massive, so big that it would be difficult even for a bunch of orcs to beat them down without using polearms or arrows. I mean, have you ever see them in action? The biggest shire horses may reach even 1500 kgs of weight - they are more than 2 meters at shoulders!! - and an horse does not sit and wait for its aggressors, but, if forced to fight, it will stand on rear legs, keeping at bay enemies in the front, or will kick with rear legs, that are strong enough to break easily human bones with one strike.
I think that, accordingly with the animal descriptions, the DM must use the draft horse for what it is, a shy and relatively stupid creature that is not oriented for fighting and would prefer to run away instead than face its foes, maybe loosing whole rounds moving in the area and looking for an escape way. If orcs need to kill it, they would simply use polearms, lazos and ropes to hold it (see the "help action", taken by official rules and reported in the first page), or kill it shooting arrows, or would outsmart the horse, using some rudimental tactic.
I guess that killing a tiger, even if smaller, would be harder for them because a tiger would react to danger attacking it, and would surely bring to hell with itself some of the orcs before of its death, especially if it is a female defending cubs.

About the griffon, I think it's ok in that way. A griffon should be able to kill only young horses, or the the ill or injuried adult ones, like all predators do. A drafthorse is just too heavy to be holded by the griffon and rised from the ground. Even if the griffon has still the advantage of being able to fly, a horse would still be able to defend itself with front legs anyway, and with bite, if needed.

Siberys
2007-03-08, 07:08 PM
About intelligence, I wrote about it in the intro of my handbook:

Oh yes, I recognize that. Just pointing out, that, normally, anything smarter than Int 2 is considered sentient in D&D. I will be using these, just tweaking 'em a bit to my tastes.

And as Orion pointed out, baboons are fair climbers, and certainly naturally better than humans. Instead of giving them a "brachiation" speed as I've seen done in the past, I did what is done for core baboons - bonuses to climb. I did add in that they don't lose their Dex bonus to AC while climbing, though.

0rion79
2007-03-11, 08:38 AM
So, reassuming... what's next?
Skunk, squirrel, stink effect for the tasmanian devil, familiar list, the removal of "run" skill, the fixing of uncorectely re-translated words, less climb skill for baboons (but still a bonus)...

More, here we have the rabbit version from Airos:
Updated Stats (again)
Code:

Rabbit
Tiny Animal
Hit Dice: 1/2d8 (2)
Speed: 50 ft. (10 squares)
Armor Class: 16 (+2 size, +4 Dex), Touch 16, Flat-Footed 12
BAB/Grapple: +0/-12
Attack: Bite -3 Melee (1d3-5)
Full Attack: Bite -3 Melee (1d3-5)
Space/Reach: 2 1/2 ft./0 ft.
Special Attacks: Rake 1d2-5
Special Qualities: Scent
Saves: Fort 0, Ref +6, Will 0
Abilities: STR:1 DEX:19 CON:10 INT:2 WIS:10 CHA:8
Skills: Hide +12 (+4 dex, +8 size), Listen +8 (+2 alertness, +4 racial),
Move Silently +4 (+4 dex), Spot +4 (+2 alertness)
Feats:Alertness, Run(B)
Environment: Temperate Forests and Temperate Plains
Organization: Domesticated or Solitary
Challenge Rating:1/4
Treasure:-
Alignment: Always Neutral
Advancement: -
Level Adjustment: -

Combat
Rake (Ex): Attack bonus -3 melee, damage 1d2-5.

Skills
Rabbits have a +4 racial bonus to Listen checks.

OK, this time through I've added a +4 racial bonus to Listen checks as well as given them the Scent ability.

Since these stats are designed to be used for either a rabbit or a hare, I'm shying away from giving them Low-Light Vision. While it would make sense for rabbits, living underground in burrows, I'm not 100% certain hares would have this benefit. Any thoughts?

I believe I had the Attack Bonus for the Rake miscalculated. It was at a -10, but I think it should only be at a -8, correct? (BAB +0, -5 STR, +2 Size, -5 Secondary Attack)

Adjusted Rake Attack Bonus to -3

and the squirrels, from dacomortis:

Squirrel
Diminutive Animal
Hit Dice: 1/4d8 (1 hp)
Speed: 30 ft. (6 squares), climb 30 ft.
Armor Class: 17 (+4 size, +3 Dex), touch 17, flat-footed 14
Base Attack/Grapple: +0/–16
Attack: Bite +7 melee (1d3–4)
Full Attack: Bite +7 melee (1d3–4)
Space/Reach: 1 ft. / 0 ft.
Special Attacks: —
Special Qualities: Low-light vision, scent
Saves: Fort +2, Ref +5, Will +1
Abilities: Str 2, Dex 17, Con 10, Int 2, Wis 12, Cha 6
Skills: Balance +13, Climb +13, Listen +3, Spot +3
Feats: Alertness, Weapon FinesseB
Environment: Temperate forests
Organization: Solitary, pair, or group (2–10)
Challenge Rating: 1/8
Treasure: None
Alignment: Always neutral
Advancement: —
Level Adjustment: —

These docile rodents thrive in temperate woods, where they eat mostly nuts, berries, and small insects.

Combat
Squirrels are extremely timid and run at the first sight of danger, biting only when cornered.

Skills: Squirrels have a +8 bonus racial bonus on Balance and Climb checks. A squirrel can always choose to take 10 on a Climb check, even if rushed or threatened. A squirrel uses its Dexterity modifier for Climb checks.

Squirrels As Familiars
A squirrel may be selected as a familiar. It grants its master a +3 bonus on Climb checks.

Squirrel, Flying
Diminutive Animal
Hit Dice: 1/4d8 (1 hp)
Initiative: +4
Speed: 30 ft. (6 squares), climb 30 ft., glide 20 ft.
Armor Class: 18 (+4 size, +4 Dex), touch 18, flat-footed 14
Base Attack/Grapple: +0/–16
Attack: Bite +8 melee (1d3–4)
Full Attack: Bite +8 melee (1d3–4)
Space/Reach: 1 ft. / 0 ft.
Special Attacks: —
Special Qualities: Glide, low-light vision, scent
Saves: Fort +2, Ref +6, Will +1
Abilities: Str 3, Dex 19, Con 11, Int 2, Wis 12, Cha 6
Skills: Balance +14, Climb +14, Jump +12, Listen +3, Spot +3
Feats: Alertness, Weapon FinesseB
Environment: Warm forests
Organization: Solitary, pair, or group (2–10)
Challenge Rating: 1/8
Treasure: None
Alignment: Always neutral
Advancement: —
Level Adjustment: —

Flying squirrels have two flaps of skin connecting their forearms to their body, which allows them to “fly” from tree to tree.

Combat
Flying squirrels avoid combat, using their gliding ability to quickly escape enemies.

Glide (Ex): A flying squirrel can glide from any height at a speed of 20 feet per round in moderate or lower winds, descending at a rate of 10 feet per round.

Skills: Flying squirrels have a +8 racial bonus on Balance, Climb, and Jump checks. A flying squirrel can always choose to take 10 on a Climb check, even if rushed or threatened. A flying squirrel uses its Dexterity modifier for Climb and Jump checks.

Flying Squirrels As Familiars
A flying squirrel may be selected as a familiar. It grants its master a +3 bonus on Jump checks.

Wolf_Boy
2007-03-11, 11:33 PM
Squirrels should have the jump skill as they often leap from branch to branch for long distances. In fact I'd argue standard squirrels are better jumpers than flying squirrels which rely more on their ability to glide than actually jump. Squirrels or one of the most acrobatic critters out there.

Also, can rabbits be familiars too?

Gamebird
2007-03-21, 10:39 AM
My stuff is in Word format, not Excel.

I downloaded the file, but nothing on my PC can open and view it (including Excel).

The main reason I worked on the animals was so I had stats for the following categories absent from the Monster Manual:
-- Domestic animals the PCs were likely to encounter frequently
-- Prey species to support the ecology and which PCs could hunt
-- Rounding out the ecology with additional choices for familiars and animal companions, or just filling niches.

Edit: Here's the list of familiars and the bonuses I assigned. I was going to do a similar list for animal companions, but eventually I banned druids instead (for reasons unrelated to the animal companion). It should be noted that I have a certain and specific ecology for these creatures, thus I have not included a lot of suitable familiar options, like those from jungle, arctic or desert regions.

Animal
Special
Bat
+3 Listen
Cat
+3 Move Silently
Chicken
+2 Will
Chipmunk
+3 Survival
Chukar
See Partridge
Crow
See Raven
Deer, Key
+3 Hide
Deer, Musk
+3 Jump
Dog, Lap
+3 Listen
Dove
See Pigeon
Duck
+2 Fortitude
Ferret
See Weasel
Fox
+3 Escape Artist
Frog
+3 Swim
Goose
+2 Will
Gopher
See Rat
Grouse
See Partridge
Guinea
See Chicken
Hawk
+3 Spot in bright lighting
Hummingbird
+2 Reflex
Lizard
+3 Climb
Mouse
+3 Move Silently
Otter
+3 Search
Owl
+3 Spot in shadowy lighting
Partridge
+3 Disguise
Peafowl
+3 Perform
Pheasant
See Chicken
Pigeon
+3 Survival
Rabbit
+3 Tumble
Rat
+3 Climb
Raven
+3 Appraise
Songbird
+3 Perform
Squirrel
+3 Balance
Swan
See Goose
Toad
+3 Hit Points
Turkey
+3 Listen
Turtle
+1 Natural Armor
Weasel
+2 Reflex

There are other animals suitable as familiars at first level, but they are not allowed in Mirram:

Animal
Special
Crayfish, Giant
+1 Natural Armor
Fish
+2 Reflex
Scorpion, Tiny
+2 Fortitude
Skunk
+3 Intimidate
Snake, Tiny Viper
+3 Bluff
Spider, Tiny
+3 Climb

0rion79
2007-03-23, 04:36 AM
Prehaps you have to update your excell table: I'm using Office 2003. And, anyway, thanks for the suggestions for the familiars, I'll add them soon in 1.5 relase, with your name of course.

0rion79
2007-03-23, 03:36 PM
Hey ppl, wolfboy, I did it. I still have to fix that "run" matter and the skill points for all animals, even if I still have to choose how to invest them :) Anyway, I think I added almost all of your requests. Wolfboy, please tell me if you like how I reproduced the musk effect for the american skunk, the wolverine and the tasmanian devil. I added even giant tortoises and other animals here and there. It is still a beta, but it is not far away from being complete.... oh, and this time no RAR archive, directly the excell file.
This is the direct link to the file: http://www.savefile.com/files/521551
C u soon!

Wolf_Boy
2007-03-25, 08:15 AM
You still need to fix the sizes too. Also, I still say squirrels need jump. I see squirrels almost every day and they leap from tree to tree.

0rion79
2007-03-25, 10:56 AM
Why the sizes? I replaced all of the wrong words with the ones that Vorpal Pete gave to me :-|
Ok for the squirrels, but what about the tasmanian devil and the skunk? Do they "stink" well enough? :D

EvilElitest
2007-03-25, 04:20 PM
The reason why D&D gives animal such bad stats is that they don't really care, because they think they are boring compared to all these freaky creatures.
Thanks for proving them wrong
Oh but give Pigs a 3 int. Really smart animal. Also on the same note, maybe animals with higher than three int could exist. A chimp for example is very smart and can reach some human like int. They can use tools and speak sign laugage for example. So i would give a chimp a 4 int, because they are as smart as the dumbest human, so to speak. A 3 int creature is smart but not REALLY smart. Like a horse or a dog.
from,
EE

0rion79
2007-03-26, 10:44 AM
man, have you seen the manual? What you suggest is already in, but I don't feel like I want to give a pig int 3, because it is reserved to special animals that have self-awareness, like elephants and whales. Having int 2 already means that it is one stepp above a cow or a snake. Read the introduction first, and, anyway, thanks very much for your comment!

0rion79
2007-04-24, 06:01 AM
Hey, may you belive it? I just found right now the grammar checker in Excell... so I've been able to fix all grammar and typing mistakes that I did while writting this compendium :P
The new version is up, but I don't have time yet to care about a better skill points distribution and to fix the size-on-grid scores.

Mikka
2010-01-15, 01:25 PM
Post it into a nice format you can view online, a pdf again will work as that can be viewed online as well and this will probably get alot more feedback, i for one is interested, but i can't be bothered.

Theres download, zip/rar, excel, potential virus barriers in the way.

Looking forward to see it formatted :)

Edit: . . . im a necromancer! <gasp!> What have i done!

rathelm
2010-02-17, 06:39 PM
Hi,

does anyone still have this compendium? Would love to see the full file - in any format!

Thanks

The Tygre
2010-02-17, 08:54 PM
So would I. I gathered up my own compendium from bits and pieces around the playground ages ago, but it's been lost to the infinite doors.

waterpenguin43
2010-02-17, 09:13 PM
Also, as for Stormwrack and Frostburn, I find it vastly unfair that albatrosses are stronger than penguins. And that is NOT just my natural prejudice in favor of penguins!! Would you mind re-making penguin too?
Plus, sharks are actually quite weak, but there teeth are so sharp. Maybe sharks could have a 15-20/x4 crit ratio?

Liber Oturen
2010-06-02, 12:09 PM
I was wondering if the compendium was down? I went through the links but couldn't see the book its' self or the orange and gray link. If some one would sen me them that would be great.

bvdk99
2010-12-21, 01:29 PM
Yeah, I'm having the same problem as Liber Oturen. I'm really interested in seeing this, especially because there is one animal in particular that I can't find anywhere else!

PapaMonkey
2012-01-02, 09:16 AM
New user here, but this file would be really useful. Does anyone still have it that could post it? I know its been a while, but I am hopeful...

Freakylarzzy
2017-03-14, 09:46 PM
why did this thread not recieve any attention for years?
does anyone still have some form of animal compendium to share?

I mean...By the sound of it Orion79's work must have been intriguing to say the least!