PDA

View Full Version : The Sniper Prestige Class [P.E.A.C.H!] v. 0.1

Wonton
2007-02-27, 09:02 PM
SNIPER

“Enemies always call me coward in battle. That’s not true. The cowards are the ones who try to run after I shoot an arrow through their eye into their brain from 1000 feet away.”

– Shun’Ith, Elven Sniper

There are many ways of conducting battle in the world, even when focusing on mundane, non-magical combat. There are those who rush into melee, and those who prefer to take action from afar. Out of the latter group, no one can hit deadlier or more precisely than sniper. Unlike normal archers, who are usually in sight but out of range when they shoot, the sniper does not worry about range. Snipers can take a target down in one shot from hundreds of feet away with seeming ease.

BECOMING A SNIPER
Rogues are the most common members of this class. Rangers who take the path of the archer also sometime take this class.

Entry Requirements
Base Attack Bonus: +6
Skills: Spot 12 ranks, Hide 9 ranks, Concentration 6 ranks
Feats: Weapon Focus (any bow), Far Shot

Hit die: d6
{table=head]Level|BAB|Fort Save|Ref Save|Will Save|Special Ability

1st|
+0|
+0|
+2|
+0|Ranged Sneak Attack +1d6, Snipe
2nd|
+1|
+0|
+3|
+0|Far Sneak Attack (60 ft)

3rd|
+2|
+1|
+3|
+1|Zoom (1/day), Extreme Far Shot

4th|
+3|
+1|
+4|
+1|Ranged Sneak Attack + 2d6, Far Sneak Attack (120 ft)

5th|
+3|
+1|
+4|
+1|Deadly Precision

6th|
+4|
+2|
+5|
+2|Far Sneak Attack (240 ft), Deft Strike, Zoom (2/day)

7th|
+5|
+2|
+5|
+2|Ranged Sneak Attack +3d6, Long Distance Mastery

8th|
+6/+1|
+2|
+6|
+2|Far Sneak Attack (480 ft)

9th|
+6/+1|
+3|
+6|
+3|

10th|
+7/+2|
+3|
+7|
+3|Ranged Sneak Attack +4d6, Far Sneak Attack (unlimited), Zoom (3/day), Improved Zoom, Certain Death[/table]

CLASS FEATURES

Ranged Sneak Attack (Ex):
This is exactly like the rogue ability of the same name, except the extra damage only applies to ranged attacks. The extra damage dealt increases by +1d6 every three levels (1st, 4th, 7th, and 10th). If a sniper gets a sneak attack bonus from another source the bonuses on damage stack.

Snipe (Ex):
In the hands of a sniper, a ranged weapon can become much more deadly. By concentrating on an enemy for a long amount of time, she begins to discern vital spots, and calculate trajectories on how to hit the enemy. When the sniper is within range of her ranged sneak attack, she can choose to, as a full-round action, to make a Spot check, the DC of which is equal to 20 + any modifiers for distance + any and all modifiers from the table below. (To be included later)

If the Sniper succeeds this check, she gets a bonus to damage equal to 1d6, and a bonus of +1 to her attack roll for a single attack. The sniper can repeat this action in consecutive rounds, but the maximum bonus she may ever get from this ability is 1d6/sniper level and +1/sniper level. If the sniper fails one of these checks, she does not lose her previous bonuses, she simply wastes a full-round action. If after the sniper has concentrated on a target, she is attacked, she instantly loses all her bonuses from Snipe.

Far Sneak Attack (Ex):
At 2nd level, and at every even level thereafter, the sniper learns how to sneak attack people at greater and greater distances. The range limit on her ranged sneak attacks increases from 30 to 60, then, doubles again every even level, and eventually, at level 10, the Sniper loses any range limit on her sneak attack.

Zoom (Su):
Starting at 3th level, once per day, the Sniper can choose to have her vision improve at critical moments. When the sniper is wielding a bow and decides to use Snipe, she can choose to Zoom as a swift action. Using this ability lessens the range penalty to spot checks from -1 per 10 feet to -1 per 20 feet. Zoom lasts for 1 minute after being activated. At 6th level, a Sniper can use Zoom twice per day, and at 10th level, 3 times per day.

Extreme Far Shot (Ex):
The amazing abilities of the sniper are no use to her if she can’t hit the enemy. At 3rd level, the range increments of all ranged weapons increase from one-and-a-half of their usual value (from the sniper’s Far Shot feat) to double their usual value.

Deadly Precision (Ex):
At 5th level, the sniper can hit vital spots much more precisely. When she is wielding a bow and using her Snipe ability, the critical multiplier on the weapon increases as such:

Old Multiplier | New Multiplier
x2 | x3
x3 | x5
x4 | x6

Deft Strike:
At 6th level, the Sniper gets Deft Strike (Complete Adventurer) as a bonus feat. The exception is, the range restrictment on her use of this feat is not 30 feet, but whatever the range of her ranged sneak attack.

Long Distance Mastery (Ex):
By 7th level, shooting at long ranges has become no problem for the sniper. Starting at level 7, the penalty for shooting more than one range increment is reduced from -2 for each range increment to -1.

Improved Zoom (Su):
By 10th level, the sniper’s eyes have evolved so greatly, that when using their Zoom ability, the range penalties to Spot checks are further reduced to -1 for every 40 feet.

Certain Death (Ex):
Experienced snipers agree that sometimes simply wishing for an arrow to fly true causes it to be so. At 10th level, once per day, when the Sniper is using a ranged weapon, before rolling an attack roll, she can declare to use this ability. The attack roll is treated for all purposes as it were a natural 20. This means that the sniper automatically hits. She also automatically scores a critical hit (no critical confirmation is required).

For now, I just want to know what you think of those abilities.

Stuff yet to add: Skills, the table for Snipe modifiers, all sorts of details to Snipe as in "what happens if..", all the fluff that comes after class features.

Indon
2007-02-27, 10:10 PM
Good NPC class. I guess maybe even a good PC class, if everyone in the group were one. Otherwise, the sniper risks being kinda far from the action.

crazedloon
2007-02-27, 10:36 PM
Also a little weak (if you ask me but then what do i know :smallwink: )

Check out my version of a combat sniper you can see a link in my sig.

Wonton
2007-03-02, 10:59 PM
No one else? :smallconfused:

Marcotic
2007-03-02, 11:30 PM
I like the flavor, me and my comrade made somthing simular, though it ended in a death attack, I think that it can be said that there are few options that allow truly effective mundane ranged combatants at more then 30 ft. Kudos, my friend kudos

Wonton
2007-03-03, 01:57 PM
I updated the class, but elsewhere.

Go here (http://boards1.wizards.com/showthread.php?t=800003) for updates, please.