PDA

View Full Version : Journal Senescence, of Crew and Captain: A D&D 3.5 Campaign Log

Fire Lord Pi
2014-07-09, 06:36 PM
Salutations dear Playground!

Not long ago, I brought up the idea of posting a campaign journal to my players. Subsequently, I was peer pressured into doing it.

“Fiat”, I said. And so I begin.

My Houserules

I should start with my changes to D&D 3.5. Of all editions, we found this one to be the best of the variations, but it still isn’t perfect. My biggest problem was how damn difficult it is to kill high levels. I’m a very gritty fantasy kind of guy (more Song of Ice and Fire than Lord of the Rings) and I've always thought that even a level 20 fighter shouldn’t be able to survive a knife in every internal organ he has. So I used the Star Wars RPG system of breaking HP into wound points (WP) and vitality points (VP). The latter can be raised by level, but wounds are equal to half your con and can only be raised by taking toughness. In a fight, if I feel it aids realism, I can assign damage directly to wounds.

I also used a variation of the variant which changes armour into DR. This one is in the D&DSRD. This I did to make guns work a little better in the world. This campaign takes place with gunpowder weapons available that can easily tear through armour.

Also, it is my policy that players start at level one (possibly two). The character doesn’t feel well-earned if started at higher levels and it is much more fulfilling to have a 10th level for which you can recall all his XP-gaining exploits.

The Races

Although I use most of the 3.5 rules, I’ve always had a bad taste in my mouth from the the flavour presented in the core rulebooks. I don’t like how many different species are used when different races and cultures of humans will suffice. So I nixed all the races except for a few (it felt good to wipe gnomes off the face of my earth :smallamused:). These remain:

Elves
Elves lived before the race of Man and in the “center” of the world (I’ll upload a map below). This civilization fell (utterly and completely, for unknown reasons), leaving only ruins and a few elves scattered about the planet.This supposedly occurred four millennia ago. Now elves a rare and dying race; only about 5000 exist in all the world and the numbers continue to fall. Because of this, there is no true “culture” of elves. Due to the elves’ natural inclination towards magic, much of the world has a hatred for these pointy-eared people (read about The Mage’s War below)

Hobgoblins
Hobgoblins are said to have been men once, who were cursed by nature for their sins. Now they share the eastern continent (Arseba) with the dragons. They have a cruel, slaving culture. Many of their nations evolved from tribalism into autocracy. Most Humans and Hobgoblins have a strong hate for one another, often warring and taking slaves of the other species. “Creature” is the the racist (specist?) term for a Hobgoblin.

Humans
Humans are the dominant race of the world. They live as the primary race on all of the four continents except for Arseba (this region called the “Western World”). They have no common tongue, religion, or culture. This diverse people is organized into thousands of nations. The hateful term for a HUman (spoken by Hobgoblins) is “Stitis” (translates to “soft skinned”)

Dragons
Dragons have existed for longer than recorded history. They have a very isolated culture, which rules as a collection of independent autocrats (ruling over Hobgoblins, not eachother) in the eastern mountains of Arseba. Some say that the dragons could take control of all the world, but they will not stray far from their graveyards. The Western World (i.e. the world of Humans) has a strong hatred of Dragons, because they are very beings of magic, but because of the Dragons’ geological distance from the West, their isolationist attitude, and their unbeatable might, the Draconian people were barely touched by The Mage’s War.

A few other races exist, namely other Goblinoid types, some small tribes of Sahuagin, and dwarves (but only in the form of legend).

The Gods
The original gods weren’t very fleshed out, so I made new ones. Additionally, I reworked the Planes. Now, the Material Plane exists as usual (with its normal Shadow/Ethereal coexistence), but all of the other planes are jammed together into one massive plane, which bears the name “Hell” amoung others. Each one of the gods have their own demiplane which is their specific “Heaven”. All of the gods were once mortal (except for Le). Here they are in order of ascension:

Le, God of Balance
Le is a very little worshipped god. Some suspect that he is the deity that the elven ruins allude to. His few priests live a monastic, isolated life, which interacts little with the common man. When this faith is applied to a layman (get it? LE-man), it takes the form of a personal quest (with some clerical guidance) towards inner balance (avoiding excess) and “righteousness” (living by the laws and customs of the land). Le’s theology is based on the balancing of all things in the grand scheme (so on rare occasions, his priests rise up together to set some world-shattering situation aright). In The Mage’s War, Le’s clerics prevented the mage’s from killing the entire pantheon. Priests of Le can choose from all domains (the number of domains a god has correlates to his power).

Kopar, God of Farming and Agriculture
Kopar is the first god of mankind. His clerics are divided into three groups: Shepherds (roaming priests), Harvesters (called Harvers, priests stationed in a Pavilion), and Skysons (a higher order, who can perform a purgative sacrament). The theology of Kopar is complex, focusing on agriculture, humility, holiness, and work. Communal prayers and gatherings are frequent and held at a Pavilion. A good number of Kuepar (people of Kopar) are scattered throughout the world, with no central leadership. Kuepar Priests can choose these domains: Plant, Sun, Water, Protection, Good, Healing.

Nathem, God of Unity
Nathem was once a Kuep who desired to bring all mankind together. His cleric serve as missionaries, high-level administrators, or pastors. Nathem's core theology is that all the earth should be converted to him and one another. Fire is an important part of many Nesian customs. Nearly all of the northern continent (Avos) is Nesian, though it constantly struggles to stay as one Union. Nesians gather in Godhalls. Many Kuepar ideas are incorporated into Nesiana. There is an oligarchy which rules as the supreme head of the Nesian Clerisy. Nathem can offer these domains: Protection, Good, Knowledge, Fire, War, Travel.

Bydamoal, God of Justice
During a period of corruption in the Nesian Clerisy, Bydamoal created a movement to cleanse the church. His new faith sparked much controversy and to this day, Nesian-Bymish relations are very sensitive. The priests of Bydamoal are organized in a developed hierarchy, and other leaders (Judges, Lords, and Kings) are given their positions by the church. The Bymish faith is very complicated but centers on personal perfection. Just as Nathem takes many ideas from Kopar, Bydomoal shares many common aspects with the two. The people worship at public monuments and Shrines. The western continent (Mandis) is predominantly Bymish, and at this point a dominant world power. Bymish Godmen have access to these domains: Protection, Good, Law, War, Sun, Healing.

Kimelen, God of Magic
Kimelen was said to be an elf. His priests (sometimes females were admitted) were often wizards and the "Church" of Kimelen was really completely integrated with the Mage's Guild. The philosophy of Kimelen is to teach magic and to perfect its practice and theory so that it becomes ubiquitous. Very smallfolk would worship Kimelen, however it was once a quasi-prerequisite that all with Arcane power pay him homage with thanksgiving for his gift and institution of the Mage's Guild. Now, however, nothing remains. Kimelen is called the "Black King" and his worship is near-universally persecuted. His clerics can access these domains: Magic, Knowledge, Trickery.
Note There are 26 demi-gods (mentioned below; called the Black Gods) who are those that Kimelen is the "King" of.

Le'ergut, God of War
Le'ergut was a mighty warrior who believes battle and death are amoung the purest things in life. His clerics (called by the spells they specialize in (e.g. summoner, healer, etc)) are men who fight on the field with the soldiers or women who act as healers in noncombatant regions. The church of Le'ergut serves the state. The religion calls people to a very Spartan life (in both sense of the word). Dominions of Le'ergut are constantly warring and as such are always changing territories, existing on all continents. In current days, the church of Le'ergut has faltered, and instead of external fighting, contents its battlelust with deadly tournaments. In The Mage's War, Le'ergut was wounded and lost two of his domains along with much of his spell-granting ability. His domains are: War, Strength, and Law.

Mursta, God of Commerce and Trade
Mursta was once the richest man in the world, even more so than the dragons, many say. In his life, he established the still common Rule of Exchange (1pp = 10gp = 100sp = 1000sp). His faith helps those who help themselves, teaching the acquisition of wealth is the purpose of life. Mursten commonfolk bear little true devotion to Mursta, but offer prayer in hopes of bountiful harvest and riches. They do this in shrines, magnificently decorated to honour the God of Wealth. Mursta's priests have access to two domains: Knowledge and Luck.

Phifin, God of Travel and Seas
Phifin was a Nesian who spent his life journeying. His clerics serve to do good as the walk; to guide men along the many paths of life. Phifinesians have no place of worship, but many prayers and rituals. The laymen are plentiful, but distant and unorganized, taking personal joy in a walk and sometimes enjoying the company of another Phifinesian. "Footsore Fathers" can access these domains: Travel, Water, Sun, Healing.

Amani, God of Peace
Amani was a Powerful Bymish Godmen, who was called to fight the Nesians. His victory did not outweigh his disgust. His clerics serve a double role as state and religious leaders in the small, isolated Amani colonies dotted about the world. The faithful are called to the Bymish standard of personal perfection with an emphasis on Peace, describing complete and utter Pacifism. They worship in temples. Amani clerics access two domains: Protection and Healing.

Janis, God of Asceticism
Little is known of Janis; less is known of his people. All the can be said is that a number of small, isolated colonies are dotted about the small colonies exist, but all are COMPLETELY isolationist. These cities are often dug into the mountains, some completely underground (this is where the legends of dwarves come from). His domains are Good and Earth, not that anybody knows or cares.

Prudel, (Late) God of Industry and Science
Prudel was the founder of Alchemy. His clerics served as administrators, but unlike many other orders, did not have high status. The faithful were encouraged not to worship, but rather to work. This religion was rather unsuccessful, enveloping only one nation, which declined when Le'erguese attacked and fell to ruin when Prudel was killed in The Mage's War (despite the fact that Prudel's Land was one of the few that did not oppose the Mage's Guild). His domain was Knowledge.

Akchmisht, God of BLOOD
Akchmisht was once a mighty madman, surrounded by awful legends of slaughter and cruelty. He served no man and worked aside no companion. His "clerics" are like madmen who maim and slaughter as a way of life. There are no prayers, only crude rituals of murder and blood-offering. His followers are few, dangerous, and reviled. Akchmisht offers a single domain: Destruction.

Promoso, God of The Promise
Promoso (not his given name) was a Phifinesian who had a vision of "The Land of Promise". His clerics serve to gather followers who will help them and themselves journey across the world in search of The Promise. Many of these expeditions (mostly naval) disappear and never return. Promoso’s domain is Travel.

Derkmol, God of The People
Derkmol was a Bymish lord who found fault in his feudal system. He succeeded, won the resulting war, and formed a new society, democratic and communistic in nature. He follows the Bymish concept of personal perfection, but varies on many ordinances, such as ordaining female Godmen. His ideas are tolerated, but his colonies are small and weak in the world scale. Derkmol's domain is Knowledge.

Ka'stern, God of Anti-Magic
Ka'stern had a vision of Hell, which explained to him that Mage's power is drawn from the torment of souls and helps evil strengthen. Ka'stern clerics were the first to not demand monotheism. He accepted to be revered alongside other gods. As such, when the Mage's Guild began another surge in growth, Ka'stern's clerics revealed it as a takeover. This began The Mage's War. Ka'stern, demands only the destruction of all Arcane magic, and is not generally monotheistically worshipped. His clerics have a loose hierarchy, with sects for particular task (e.g. destruction of Arcane magic items, capture of wizards, etc). Ka'stern has a special domain (complete with homebrewed spells): Anti-Magic.

Morenias, God of Sleep
The last ascended god, Morenias is a nihilist of sorts. His priests (called Whitecups) travel the earth seeking to bring an end to suffering for anyone who will accept it. They do this by leading suicide cults (using poison). A few are chosen to be left behind so that others might awake from the final sleep in Heaven. This religion is hated throughout the world for the pain it causes to the friends and families of the "cupped". Regardless, Whitecups must constantly evade the law, yet do manage to persist. Morenias' domain is good.

The Black Gods should be mentioned here as well. During The Mage's War, the Guild raised up 26 gods, each with his own portfolio. However, because of the Mages' defeat, these gods have few worshippers and no domains. Their only followers are tiny, persecuted cults.

These are all the gods the exist, but there are many other religions. The Bedinians, for example, worship The Lady, a "pagan goddess". On the southern continent (Navas), many worship various combinations that include most of the gods mentioned above as a Pantheon of sorts. Templemen guide the people, who pray and perform a number of rituals some unique to certain gods and others concocted for the general worship of all the "Kings of Heaven". Obviously, deities such as Akchmisht and the Black Gods are not included.

The World
This world is a pretty big one (I run all my campaigns in this setting). It is now known to be a globe, as some have traveled across the dangerous waters east of the Dragon Isles to find themselves taking the Searoad to Mandis. Many languages are spoken throughout the earth, but one, Seatalk, is spoken by a great number of sailors and port cities. There are various dialects, but they do allow an easy method of communication for seafarers. Below is a rough map of the world. The map doesn't show the Searoad (which is a series of islands that extends out from SW Mandis) or Talia (a middle-of-nowhere island between Mandis and Arseba (east and west continent, respectively). The south of Navas (southern continent) is not shown, because it is not mapped, explored, or inhabited. The north of Avos (northern continent) goes up to the pole, but this region does have a small population of Nesians.

Map http://s1152.photobucket.com/user/theseanster6/media/IMG_0385_zps78f6355e.jpeg.html?sort=3&o=0

Though many historical events have occurred (you know how those histories are, always... occurring) the most important thing that happened is The Mage's War. About three hundred years ago it began and roughly a century later it kinda-sorta ended. After the Mage's Guild was accused by Ka'stern's followers of attempted world domination, fighting began and it escalated until it became a massive war of many world power versus the Mage's Guild and those that they controlled. Ultimately, Ka'stern and Company won and Arcane Magic is viewed as evil and highly persecuted. Needless to say, millions died, cities were destroy, a god perished, and the title of worldwide superpower was lost by the Center Cities and the Citadel (capital of the Guild) in favour of Mandaros (capital of the Manden).

The Crew
This campaign takes place primarily on the single-masted ship, Senescence. It is an old boat (is it still the same boat, if most of it’s been replaced?), with a poop deck, and two cannons mounted on the front of lower deck. Below, there is a rower’s deck, which also serves as sleeping quarters and farther down is a large hold. The ship has twenty rowers (three of whom also serve as cannon hands). The senior officers of the ship (excluding PCs) are listed below in order of succession:

Captain Cerlin Pugger - This man is a tough and hardened sailor who has near 60 years. He is Bedinian and clings in an almost stubborn manner to his faith. He considers himself a good man, but would be unwilling to take some risks to do the “right” thing. He values friendship and abhors treachery and disobedience. He runs a loose ship, with few rules and regulations.

Deckmaster Belos - Belos is a surly, brutish man of about 50 years. He is also Bedinian and has been good friends of Captain Pugger for many years. He maintains order on the ship by taking fingers from any insubordinates. Belos enjoys violence and hates cruel men, but is himself, cruel.

Cannonmaster Zerkern - PC (see below)

Silverhead Chressof - An incredibly intelligent man from Mandis. He has a slight figure and talks little, and then, only to offer counsel to the captain. His title is a joke, he’s the accountant.

Bos’n Aedin Krumme - A lively man of about 30 years. He was born Bedinian, but converted to Nesiana. He is kind and talkative, and wishes someday to marry and settle down.

Wheelmaster Jaakh - A miserly man who worships Mursta. Some suspect that Jaakh is mute, because he almost never talks. He is from Arseba and is goblines (partially Hobgoblin). He serves as a navigator.

Carpenter Irik Weft - Another Bedinian (very fervent), “Old Irik” is a soft spoken man, known for his simplicity and wise words.

Sailsmith Saamo - Saamo is a young man (about 17) and, though a well-trained fighter, tends to shy away from confrontation. He serves to repair and maintain cloth and rigging.

Cook Noram - While he is a senior officer, he does not attend the meetings. He is a large man, always talking, and keeps a mobile kitchen to feed the crew. He is known by several nicknames, each with a story: “Whitefish”, “Godmast”, “Bonesoup”, “Blackbread”. He is Bedinian and about 50 years old.

The Party
The party here is played by a group of close friends, one of them my sister. For this campaign, my sister brought along two friends, with no experience in D&D. It quickly became clear that the campaign was not the place for them and their characters became NPC’s. Saamo is one them. The other is Daliborr (see below).

Zerkern - I Rogue - Zerkern is a hobgoblin who has served on the ship for many years. He is unkind, untalkative, and uncharismatic, but incredible intelligent and dextrous. He fights with a pistol. His scores are 12,12,18,18,10,8. As mentioned above, Zerkern is the Cannonmaster of Senescence.

Vas Susarro - I Monk - My friend went all out creating this backstory. Vas, a human, came from a nation lead by a the monastic Order of Honed Perfection. He was chosen to go out in the world to learn by experience as one of the Wandering Ascetics (Wanderers). Every ten years, the Wanderers meet back at home and share all they have learned. The ultimate goal of Vas was to achieve Perfection to the point of divinity, that is, to become a god. Additionally, we worked out a variant of the Monk class, trading Ki for Perfection perks. Vas was very strong, dextrous, tough, and wise. His scores were all very good, but sadly they are unavailable (long story- keep reading). Vas got on the ship, not long ago, as a willfully underpaid rower.

Eridan Ampora - I Beguiler - Eridan serves as an apprentice to Jaakh, the navigator. At first, he wanted to be a gnome, but we smoothed that over; he is a human. He has been on the ship for a few months, careful to keep his magic a secret. He fights with a rapier. His scores are 9,12,15,15,8,15.

Koda - I Ranger - Koda, trained by his father with a sword, is a human Phifinesian. He got work on the ship a few months back. He desires to become a great swordmaster, but for now- a man’s gotta eat, so Koda is a rower. He is friendly and outgoing, always seeking to sparr or fight a challenging combatant. His favoured enemy is humans and he fight with two swords (only using the second when necessary). His scores are 18,16,16,14,10,11.

Thaddeus Perrish - I Cleric - A converted Phifinesian, Thaddeus is a human who was hired on the ship to replace the previous healer, a Bymish Godmen. He is played by a friend who is rather new to D&D, and not always able to attend sessions. He fights with a flintlock, but had the misfortune to roll abysmally. His scores are 5,8,5,17,17,12.

Nat - I Rogue - Nat is young human, played by my sister. He is 17 and rather small. His actual position on the ship is unknown, but many suspect that he is there to do the captain’s dirty work. Nat fights with sword and dagger, with a modified two-weapon fighting feat. His scores are 10,13,11,13,10,11.

Daliborr - I Bard - Daliborr is a young and lively human drummer. He keeps a beat for the rowers and enjoys making rhymes and telling stories. He fights with a shortbow and a dagger. His scores are 13,9,15,15,14,15.

A final note: I like my grittiness. There’s plenty of jokes and laughter, but the meat of my campaigns is always very grounded in realism and tend to have many very dark elements. Also, I run a cruel game in a cruel world. I make no apologies for damage done to characters :smallcool: It’s gaming style that works well for us. That's the setup, so here we go...

Fire Lord Pi
2014-07-09, 06:37 PM
So, what are you doing!? Pulling up your pants, or attacking the Sahuagin?

Episode I - A Deal; a Death

Part 1

A player speaking OOC or descriptions
A player speaking IC
My Voice speaking as the DM
My Voice speaking as an NPC

The Senescence is finishing its journey from Cuppe (a Bedinian city) to Talmoc (a Bymish port). The crew is tired after rowing through relentless rain and still winds. The captain, though certainly not a rower, has also been very tired. The arrival at Talmoc will mean leaving the Searoad, a series of islands extending off of Mandis. The Searoad was once the native home of the independent Bedinians, but with Bymish missionaries came those wishing to colonize the region. On and off, wars have been fought on various islands for nearly a century. Captain Pugger himself is Bedinian, but he is also a man of business; his two-gun ship wouldn't last if a Bymish Galley mistook him for a rebel. Reaching Talmoc will mean leaving home, but it will mean entering into safer waters...

I explained all this to the PCs. My players tend to need to a spark to light the role-playing fire. So, I began with an encounter.

Nat (the rogue), you're sitting in the privy when suddenly, you see a slimy green arm reach in through the ventilation porthole. What do you do?
Uhh... Can I stab it?
You can use your dagger, but there's not much space to use your shortsword.
Okay. I stab it. *rolls* Miss. Darn.
You trip up on your pulled down breeches as you slash. The creature pulls itself up into the privy so that the upper half of its body is in the small room, in it's hand it is brandishing a dagger. It looks like a- actually, nevermind. I show my players a picture of a Sahuagin.
Have I heard any of this yet? asks my friend playing Vas, eager to join the fight.
Well, there's a lot of banging around in the bathroom.
I leave my oar and throw open the privy door. I'll take a flurry of blows. *rolls*
The creature can barely dodge because of it squirming through the porthole. You strike a series of punches that knock his head around. He falls into the privy, now VERY crowded, and attempts *roll*- fails to stab you.
Hey you skipped me! Nat exclaims. Can I stab it now?
You can, but do you want to pull your pants up?
Hmmm.... If I do will I still get to attack?
No, but you won't get a penalty to combat if you pull them up.
Can I just stab it?
So you're not pulling your pants up?
Hmmm... I dunno...

*a thoughtful pause*

So, what are you doing!? Pulling up your pants, or attacking the Sahuagin?
I'll pull up my pants.
What!? Why? Just stab it! -Vas
When can *I* go?! -the rest of the party.
Koda you are outside the privy door, but it's too congested for you to attack. Thaddeus and Eridan, you're on deck and Zerkern, you're in your laboratory down in the hold.
I have a lab in the hold? Excellent... :smallamused:
I'm going to give it another flurry of blows. *rolls*
You strike a hammerfist to his temple and punch to his solar plexus. His back makes a sharp impact with the wall and slumps over. At the same moment, you are knocked off your feet by an explosion of the wall of the ship right here- I point to the square Koda (the ranger) occupies.
Great. I suppose that's a reflex save? *rolls*
Not bad. You are thrown back, but you land well. You can see that a hole large enough to crawl through has been opened in the wall here. Through it steps a Sahuagin, this one armed with a jagged spear. You can see another one floating behind him in the water.
Well, then, I rush over and punch him! -Vas

The fight continued for only a couple rounds more. The rest of the party, having heard the explosion rushed over, only to find Vas and Koda standing over a dead Sahuagin. It was an easy fight and it got the players talking.
You are quite the warrior; Vas, isn't it? -Koda
Yes. I was trained very well. I spent many years perfecting my form. -Vas
I'm also striving to better my form. Perhaps, you and I could do some sparring... If the captain allows it, of course. -Koda.
It sounds like an excellent opportunity! -Vas

And Nat! What's the deal with pulling your pants up? -Vas
Sean! Didn't you say I would get a minus in combat if I didn't pull my pants up. -Nat
Yes.
See! It's not a big deal. -Nat
Okay, then... Whatever. -Vas

The captain is most displeased when he finds out what has happened. He prays no rough seas will make the hole in the ship a problem and curses the extra money and time that will be spent in Talmoc making repairs. Old Irik (the carpenter), dutifully begins repairs. At this point, Vas begins talking to the crew to get a feel for them. Eventually, I interrupt his role-playing to bring the ship into harbour. The Senescence begins its repairing immediately and the captain goes into the town. He comes back later, looking unhappy. Pugger has another job, the first for the PCs. After three days in Talmoc, undergoing repairs, the Senescence loads two large crates and goes back out to sea. However, contrary to what the captain mentioned they were headed back west, not east...

Wait, why? -Eridan
You don't know. You are the assistant navigator, you could ask Jaakh.
Okay. Jaakh, why are we going west? The captain said we were going east.
We are headed east. Captain wants to make a trade first. Headed to some sand bank. Keep an eye ready.
After about two hours, some of it spent making wide circles, another ship is spotted floating in the water next to a swell of sand that surfaces above the water. The island is small, only about a thousand feet across. The captain still feeling very tired, calls the crew on deck.

...I'm not saying there will be any trouble. But if there is, I want it dealt with. Any volunteers? Anyone up for some negotiating? -Pugger
If you'll allow it, Captain, I can do the talking. -Vas
Fine, then. I want what we have sold for no less than a thousand gold. Who's willing to go with him?

Vas, Eridan, Zerkern, Koda, Thaddeus and Daliborr volunteer. They drag the two crates along to meet with the eleven men who are waiting on shore. The men look to be Bedinian.

Hello, there! That ship there is the Senescence. Amiright?
That's correct. And who am I speaking to? -Vas
No need for names. Let's talk business. What's your price?
Is 1200 a fair price?
Hehe. Here's the thing. I think your asking a lot more than you're offering... Maybe something a little more reasonable. 450.
That's laughable! I'll drop the price 100. What am I selling anyway? :smallbiggrin:
The captain didn't mention.
Okay... So what do you say? 1100.
Let's have a look at the goods first.
I motion to the boxes. -Vas

Zerkern and Koda are right by, they open the crates and see a large number of weapons. There are daggers, swords, axes, and a few flintlocks. The man you were talking to glances over the contents.

Wow! So even for 1000, the captain is selling them cheap! -Vas
I don't think you understand. We really need the sorts of things you've got there. I'll give you 500.
No. 1000 is the best I can offer you. No lower.
I think your captain would understand. He's Bedinian, afterall... We NEED these weapons!
So these guys are rebels... -Koda
No. I'm sorry, but if you can't pay 1000, we can't have a deal. And normally, your need would drive up the price. -Vas
Well, here's the thing... You notice the men beginning to form an arch around your group, many have a weapon ready.
I draw my sword/bow/gun/dagger/fists/rapier! -Everyone

Immediately, a fight breaks out. In the first round the party rolls well on initiative. Koda uses his wooden sparring sword to knock one of the guys out. Zerkern is engaged in some close combat next to one of the crates. Vas begins landing punches against the leader who he was just negotiating with. Thaddeus is loading his flintlock. Everything goes well (Koda is taking men down left and right) until Eridan followed by Koda are dropped. Thaddeus rushes over to heal and is himself knocked out. The leader was just about to say something when Vas, who had moved back to protect his friends, whips to throwing stars. 20 & 18, without bonuses. The poor guy gets caught in throat and the eye. He gurgles, stumbles, and shocked, pulls the star out of his throat. Blood spews and the leader crumples to the ground. Zerkern shoots one of the men, distracted by the Vas's kill. The only man still standing snatches a coin pouch and takes of running. Vas chases after him, missing with a few more shurikens. The man drops the money, but manages to get into a rowboat (already moving towards the other ship), escaping.

Quick! Everyone! Back to the ship! -Vas
What the hell is going on!!! -Belos, just arriving
There was a fight! We need to get back to ship before they attack on us on the water! -Vas

Everyone begins scrambling back to the Senescence. It takes a while to bring the large crates and the wounded onto the boat. By the time the ship is sailing, the other vessel has made its way around the island and- BOOM!
I roll. 13. A miss, at this distance. A cannon ball splashes into the water about 150 feet away.
Do I get to roll to shoot the cannons? -Zerkern
You are the cannonmaster.
Excellent. 12 + 8.
Not excellent. Your shot falls short.
What?! He rolled an unnatural 20! -Vas
Yes, but he is shooting at a long distance, and cannons are not that accurate.
*grumble*

3 and 7. Two splashes.
*Checks map* I'll fire with both cannons. 14 and 18! With my bonus that's a 26! -Zerkern
*I roll some dice to determine the shot* One of your cannon balls rips through the front mast of the enemy ship. You hear a thunderous crack, accompanied by shouting, and the top half of the rigging collapses, tipping over into the water.

YEEAAAH!!! -Everyone
Jaakh, get us back to Talcom! -Captain Pugger, leaning against a rail

NOTE: So that's the first little bit. I'm going off of memory because we are actually a good deal further than this in the campaign, I'm trying to play catch-up. I'll try to post as quickly as I can, but work and playing more D&D (we meet frequently in the summer, which puts me EVEN further behind...) makes it difficult. I hope my style of formatting, colouring, and dialoguing is readable and enjoyable. I'd really like it if people would comment. I'd love to hear what others think of my setting, my adventure, my players, or my writing. Any praise or criticism is most welcome. Thanks so much for reading!

Koda
2014-07-15, 09:30 PM
Yep I'ma badass. I don't recall being dropped though. :smallconfused:

blackstone451
2014-09-23, 10:20 AM
Hmm this was a long time ago... We need to update!