PDA

View Full Version : Harry Potter RPG, Grounded in Ars Magica.

Bobbybobby99
2014-07-10, 06:34 PM
Anyone with suggestions can go ahead.

Harry Potter RPG.

The core mechanics of characteristics, abilities, and virtues/flaws are as Ars Magica. Remove all social status virtues, virtues/flaws rooted solely in divine, infernal, or faery realms, and reduce the value of any flaws that effect spontaneous magic by one step (major to minor, minor to flavor). Because of modern life, anyone can learn academic abilities. Everyone is automatically literate in any language they speak, and Philosiphae and Artes Liberales are replaced by Potioneering and Academia. Magic theory is replaced by Ancient runes. Chiurgy is replaced by First Aid. Civil and Canon law and Code of Hermes is replaced by Muggle and Magical Law, respectively. Common law and Theology no longer exist.

Experience points are now uniformly gained at rates indicated in character creation for companions of appropriate age and wealth, with magical individuals gaining 5 more experience points (which must be spent magically) than their muggle class counterparts. Students are treated as wealthy. These experience points are gained at even intervals. Anything that effects study totals instead effects any experience points devoted towards the involved topics in appropriate circumstance (in the event that they are bonus experience points from a particular activity, apply it once a year)

. There is no order of hermes or covenants. Wizards take wealth based virtues normally, and after their time in school they must have a job of some sort. Wizard's don't require an apprenticeship, but rather go to a magical school to learn magic.

. Remove the Parma Magica. It's equivalent is magical shielding. Casting a magical shield is a Dark or Light magic effect that blocks any spells targeting its creator, increasing their casters magic resistance by 1 for every two levels of the effect. A form specific shield may also be created by a Dark or Light effect, protecting against the involved form and increasing their casters magic resistance by 1 every level of the effect against that specific form.

Magic is handled in a significantly different manor.

. Remove the penalties for not using gestures and not using words. Replace them with penalties for using silent magic (-5) and using wandless magic (-10).

. The gift no longer causes negative reactions with regards to animals or humans. Thusly, all virtues and flaws regarding these social penalties are non-existent.

. Spells are much easier to learn. A spell requires M-1/2L-In hours to learn, M representing the magnitude of the spell, 1/2L representing half the innate level of the wizard in question (rounded down), and In representing the intellect score of the learner. Negative numbers halve the base hour, to a minimum of a minute. This is, of course, more approximate than exact, but should give you a good gist of things. Learning from a book containing detailed instructions on the spell requires the same amount of time as learning it from a teacher, due to animated pictures and the like. Inventing a new spell on your own requires 100 times the amount of time would be required to learn the spell.

.To reflect differing innate magical capabilities, core strength, or whatever you want to call it, the ease at which individuals learn the magical arts differs. Thusly, one divides people into these categories. In addition to affecting how quickly you learn spells, they also effect how quickly you learn magic in general. Whenever investing an experience point in a magical art or supernatural ability, multiply that experience point by your level in determining how many experience points you effectively have available to spend in magical arts or supernatural abilities. So, if a young Albus Dumbledore (sorcerer) spends a single experience point in Transfiguration for the first time, he could go all the way up to score 4, or he could, for example, go up to score 1 in all magical forms.
Level 1/2. Class E.
Level 1. Class D. (average)
Level 2. Class C. (average in elite institutions)
Level 3. Class B.
Level 5. Class A.
Level 7. Mage class.
Level 10. Sorcerer class.

. The only type of aura there is, is a magic aura. All other realms are non-existent. Magical auras are created where magic is performed regularly or magical creatures roam, accumulating at a rate of around 1 aura point per decade up to level 3, a rate of 1 aura point per century up to level 7, and a rate of 1 aura point per millennia up to level 10. Correspondingly, the limit of the divine in non-existent (as are the lesser laws derived from it)

. Laboratory work is renamed 'enchantment', doesn't require a laboratory, and requires half an hour of work per magnitude of the effect. Reproducing an enchantment that you have previously done requires half this time with each repetition, to a minimum of 1 minute. The mechanics otherwise remain the same. Familiars are simply unusually intelligent and loyal animals, and thusly give no benefit nor require enchantment. See below for longevity rituals.

. Replace Ritual Magic with Potioneering. Rather than being an elaborate ritual spell, it is a potion, and thusly grants its effect when being consumed or otherwise applied (such as a salve being applied to skin). When creating a potion, if you have detailed instructions handy, you may simply create the potion without learning the 'formula' of it. Vis for the purpose of potions takes the form of ingredients.

. Potioneering is unneeded for effects above level 50, year effects, or permanent Light magic effects. Making a Light magic effect permanent without a ritual does increase the magnitude of the effect by 2.(this is a necessary adjustment, considering the high power level of some individuals and the portrayal of healing magic and conjuring.)

. Wizards automatically treat aging rolls as if they had a longevity ritual on them with a level equal to their highest form technique combination. This means that wizards have a tendency of living for quite some time.

. Treat a wand as a talisman for the essential purposes (part of you, easy to enchant, arcane connection, magic and form resistance). A wizards first wand requires no enchantment, but all wands acquired after that do.

. Rather than only being based on stamina, an individual wizards magic can be based on Stamina or Intelligence, as suits them

. Wizards twilight is no longer a thing. Warping occurs to Muggles, but not to Wizards.

New magical art names. Naturally, magical arts have different names. Another difference is that, in most terminology, it is written or spoken as form technique rather than technique form.
Muto. Transfiguration.
Rego. Charm.
Creo. Light magic.
Perdo. Dark magic.
Intelligo. Divination.

Animal. Animal.
Auram. Air.
Aquam. Water.
Corpus. Body.
Herbam. Plant.
Ignem. Fire.
Imaginem. Image.
Mentem. Mind.
Terram. Earth.
Vim. Magic.
Examples. Plant Charm, Dark Magic, Mind Divination.
Note. This is official terminology. In informal terminology, several charms or transfigurations are referred to as dark magic or light magic, or vise versa. That doesn't mean that they are officially light or dark magic, or a transfiguration or charm.
Note. To avoid redundancy, any dark or light magic involving a vim component is referred to as simply dark or light magic.

Muggleborn. Major Social Flaw. Born of two muggle-parents or a muggle and a squib, most purebloods, and some half-bloods, view you as an abomination attempting to infect an ancient culture with your barbaric ways. Correspondingly, they have a tendency of either spitting on you, or pretending that you don't exist. Good luck getting anywhere in life.

Lesser Half-blood. Minor Social Flaw. Either a half-blood raised by muggles, or a half-blood from a disliked and disparaged family, or perhaps the child of two squibs, you lack the raw animosity endeared by muggle-borns, but you aren't considered acceptable company by most high renown purebloods. You can make your way in the world, but it's going to be a bit more difficult that in would be otherwise.

Half-blood. Free social merit. You may take the skill magical law from before you start magical schooling. You are a half-blood from a fairly respectable line, raised by at least one wizarding parent. You lived your childhood fairly divorced from the wizarding world, but were raised with at least some knowledge of it. Most people judge such a half-blood based on their character, aside from certain snooty pure-bloods.

Lesser Pureblood. Minor Social Merit. You may take arcane abilities at character creation, from before you begin magical schooling. You come from an unremarkable pureblood line. While you lack a family seat on the Wizengamot, and you hardly have a family manor the size of buckingham palace, you are acceptable company, and are often treated better than a half-blood.

Greater Pureblood. Major Social Merit. You may take arcane abilities at character creation, from before you begin magical schooling. You come from a highly-respected pureblood line, likely with a family seat in the Wizengamot and several fingers in several pies. You likely have a high-quality family manor, house-elves, and are treated quite well by people who recognize your surname.

LibraryOgre
2014-07-12, 02:36 PM
Which edition Ars Magica for "Harry Potter and the Order Hermes" (I know there is no OoH, but the joke has amused me since HP&tOoP came out).

The core mechanics of characteristics, abilities, and virtues/flaws are as Ars Magica. Remove all social status virtues,

Consider social status virtues and flaws for how people were raised, or at least a slate of starting abilities... Muggleborns, "Standard" (i.e. some wizarding exposure), Purebloods... maybe a two separate Purebloods, to represent the Weasleys on one hand and the Malfoys on the other. I'd also have that play into wealth... while you have the students treated as "Wealthy" in an excised paragraph below, consider the social differences between the Weasleys and the Malfoys... some of that comes from wealth, but some also comes from family philosophy.

.To reflect differing innate magical capabilities, core strength, or whatever you want to call it, the ease at which individuals learn the magical arts differs. Thusly, one divides people into these categories. In addition to affecting how quickly you learn spells, they also effect how quickly you learn magic in general. Whenever investing an experience point in a magical art or supernatural ability, multiply that experience point by your level in determining how many experience points you effectively have available to spend in magical arts or supernatural abilities. So, if a young Albus Dumbledore (sorcerer) spends a single experience point in Transfiguration for the first time, he could go all the way up to score 4, or he could, for example, go up to score 1 in all magical forms.

You might want to revisit this; I think you'd be more easily served by keeping the existing virtues/flaws for learning. For example, if Neville has a Knack with Herbology, then he can spend a point to get Herbology (like everyone), but also a point in his knack, giving him an effective score of 2 in Herbology, which would cost others 3. For 6 points (3 and 3), he's got a 4, which costs others 10, etc.

Bobbybobby99
2014-07-12, 06:24 PM
I was thinking of 5th edition, because it's apparently a good edition, according to other individuals, but another edition would probably work. Do you have any suggestions about which edition, if not 5th edition? I was considering having virtues and flaws for blood status, but I wasn't certain what to value them. What would you think about what to value those? I'm going to have to search my bookshelf before I can think about that, but I was thinking about the common idea in fanfiction of magical cores, combined with a desire for a speedier rate of magical growth than in 5th edition. In terms of students being treated as wealthy for experience points, I was thinking that was because of all their free time.
Edit
I looked at what a knack was, and it's equivalent in puissant art or affinity with art, and I stand-by the decision to keep the power levels. Albus Dumbledore can't have an affinity with everything, and Wizards would progress too slowly otherwise.

BWR
2014-07-13, 05:03 AM
I've only had experience with 4th (briefly) and 5th, but 5th seemed better, and everyone I have spoken to on the matter agrees. 4th edition has the advantage of being free for download from the publisher.

Regarding blood Virtues..we have no indication that blood purity has anything to do with magic potency or competance, dow we? So it would be a Story Flaw, not Hermetic. Minor Flaw for half-bloods and Major Hermetic for Squibs.