PDA

View Full Version : [spoilers] Anti-Magic cell in OoTS world... how does it work?

chibibar
2007-02-28, 09:57 AM
The way I understand it, the anti-magic cell only work against the magic of that realm is it not? The OoTS realm's magic would be normal casting magic, magical items but I don't think it include innate abilities unless it is magical (but that could be a thin line if you think)

Sabine shapeshifting, is it magical base or ability base? A werewolf shifting ability is abilty base (non magical) so a werewolf won't be harm by anti-magic cell.

Also Anti-magic cell is technically "magical" in a sense. I think it is more of a powerful magic that supress less magic. So extra-planer magic won't be effected by it due to the different laws. So characters like Sabine won't be effected in terms of her abilities but maybe she won't be able to cast spells.

But what about Bard songs? I guess technically it is magical since it can boost moral, do more damage, and drives Roy nuts. :)

FujinAkari
2007-02-28, 10:45 AM
According to D&D rules (which we assume apply until proven otherwise) a Succubus' Shapechange Ability (as well as her energy drain) are all supernatural abilities, which are defined as:

Supernatural abilities are magical and go away in an antimagic field but are not subject to spell resistance, counterspells, or to being dispelled by dispel magic. Using a supernatural ability is a standard action unless noted otherwise. Supernatural abilities may have a use limit or be usable at will, just like spell-like abilities. However, supernatural abilities do not provoke attacks of opportunity and never require Concentration checks.

So yes, the Anti-magic sell will supress this ability (assuming it generates an antimagic field, which seems logical.)

A succubus' ability to fly, by contrast, is a natural ability, so Sabine can flap around the cell all day long :P.

Khantalas
2007-02-28, 10:48 AM
Of course, the above post has no validity because Sabine is not a succ- ah, you know what I'm talking about.

FujinAkari
2007-02-28, 11:17 AM
Of course, the above post has no validity because Sabine is not a succ- ah, you know what I'm talking about.

Yes she is, she is "literally the embodiment of illicit sex." There aren't a lot of ways to interpret that :P

bluish_wolf
2007-02-28, 12:11 PM
The way I understand it, the anti-magic cell only work against the magic of that realm is it not? The OoTS realm's magic would be normal casting magic, magical items but I don't think it include innate abilities unless it is magical (but that could be a thin line if you think)

Sabine shapeshifting, is it magical base or ability base? A werewolf shifting ability is abilty base (non magical) so a werewolf won't be harm by anti-magic cell.

Also Anti-magic cell is technically "magical" in a sense. I think it is more of a powerful magic that supress less magic. So extra-planer magic won't be effected by it due to the different laws. So characters like Sabine won't be effected in terms of her abilities but maybe she won't be able to cast spells.

But what about Bard songs? I guess technically it is magical since it can boost moral, do more damage, and drives Roy nuts. :)

Infernal magic is still magic, in the sense that it can be suppressed with mortal spells (like dispel magic or antimagic or whatever) If the spell were directly cast by a god, on the other hand, it would bypass it entirely. Presumably, demon gods could do this, too. Are they demon gods?

Anyway, some bard songs are supernatural abilities, while others are spell-like abilities. So it depended on what he was trying to do.

MReav
2007-02-28, 01:13 PM
Infernal magic is still magic, in the sense that it can be suppressed with mortal spells (like dispel magic or antimagic or whatever) If the spell were directly cast by a god, on the other hand, it would bypass it entirely. Presumably, demon gods could do this, too. Are they demon gods?

There are archfiends. They can grant spells, so I guess they are equivalent.

Khantalas
2007-02-28, 02:21 PM
Yes she is, she is "literally the embodiment of illicit sex." There aren't a lot of ways to interpret that :P

There are. I mean, there must be at least one inevitable out there that represents the inevitability of illicit sex.

Nah, there probably isn't.

But think about it. Using no homebrew and out of SRD stuff, what can you get me that can energy drain (without hugs and kisses), plane shift once per day and has DR / obscure alchemical metal?

FujinAkari
2007-02-28, 02:53 PM
But think about it. Using no homebrew and out of SRD stuff, what can you get me that can energy drain (without hugs and kisses), plane shift once per day and has DR / obscure alchemical metal?

OOTS is, by definition, homebrew. I believe that all demons in Rich's world can planeshift. The -reason- they can't in normal D&D is because there is a war going on between the planes, and it would be unwinnable if everyone could just shift to be wherever they needed to be. In Rich's world, there is no war going on, that we can see.

The lack of War is likely caused by the fact that there don't seem to BE any Evil Gods. All the Gods are Gods of creation, and as such a battle against the upper planes would be suicide, as the Gods could smite them without thinking practically. For this reason, I think Sabine's goal on earth is to free the snarl, let it kill the Gods, and let the Lower Planes begin their war. Remember, her goal is to find a way to tilt the balance of power in the lower planes' favor...

MReav
2007-02-28, 03:50 PM
Sabine doesn't know about the Snarl until later. She probably sees it as something they can threaten to unleash.

And I'm fairly certain there are evil deities, they're just not hell bent on destroying creation. Loki and Surt are pretty evil, remember?

When I think of the AM cell, I kinda have this idea of an object that's constantly turning off and on (some for one millisecond, it's projecting an AM field, the second second, the AM generator shuts down, the next millisecond, it's on again, the next, it's off, and repeat). Anyone caught in it simply doesn't have the reflexes to activate any spells.

Aegeus
2007-02-28, 04:25 PM
Why can't it be an ordinary cell inside an ordinary AMF? There are wondrous items, such as the Antimagic Torc, that can do this, and the Stronghol Builder's Guide probably has rules for antimagic locations.

Teron
2007-02-28, 05:27 PM
Anti-magic means, quite simply, anti-magic. Assuming this is a standard D&D AMF, it stops spellcasting, bardic music, shapeshifting (including lycanthropes), and absolutely everything else supernatural or spell-like. Psionics too, under the default transparency rule.

Jefepato
2007-02-28, 05:36 PM

The way you understand it is wrong.

Jawajoey
2007-02-28, 05:37 PM
I think Teron's right here, because no matter what the D&D rules may be, I get the feeling that in Rich's OOTS world, anti-magic means exactly that, as Teron described.

Also, we know for a fact that Bardic music does not work. #262 (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0262.html)

chibibar
2007-02-28, 05:44 PM
true, but to create a an anti-magic zone/shell whatever requires ironically...... magic :)

so basically to my understanding it is a suppression field, but if it suppress then some abilities that is stronger than the field could overcome it.

I know that Avatars and demi-gods are immune to anti-magic fields and so are the gods (those are given) but also possible that the gods can grant special powers that could be immune to anti-magic field.

unless of course it is a non-magical radiation or something that cause the magic not to function (or wild zone... love those baby)

Now of course some abilities that seem like magic like regeneration (there are naturals/magical and abilities. Naturals for me would be your stats that grants you that ability. Magical would be item or spell (anchored) that allows you to regenerate and abilities are more like your are born with it (I know that sounds like natural and abilties are the same but I can't think of a different word)