PDA

View Full Version : What do you need to run a game?

JusticeZero
2014-07-11, 11:36 PM
Looked at the Basic rules. Saw nothing in it that would be used to actually GM a game. Most of that stuff has traditionally been placed in the DMG - which isn't coming out for quite awhile.
When they released 3rd ed, the 3.0.0 book had a section in the back with a few monsters, how to do basic encounter design, XP, and a highly abridged treasure list so that people could actually, you know, start playing the game while they waited for the rest of the books to hit the printers. Is there any equivalent here, or what?

Stubbazubba
2014-07-11, 11:38 PM
Apparently they intend to update the Basic Rules pdf as the DMG and MM become available. Right now that material is still being finalized, I guess. It'll be there by the time the full spread of core books are available.

HunterOfJello
2014-07-11, 11:40 PM
You can buy the Starter Set in 4 days (less if you're in a lucky area), use the premade characters there (or create your own using the current Basic Rules), and play either the adventure in the Starter Set or one of the playtest adventures that were released.

There were 1 or 2 playtest adventures that people said were pretty good from what I remember.

Particle_Man
2014-07-12, 10:17 AM
There are third party companies (as well as fans) coming out with 5e compatible modules, which might tide you over until the other core books come out.

Currently, I am still internalizing (which includes seeing what others on the message boards think when the rules seem to have multiple interpretations) the Basic rules we have so far, so I don't mind the speed that they come out at (aside from the omnipresent wish to have everything in my hands now, or even better, in my hands back in time when I was 10 years old, and also (as long as we are wishing) corrected with all of the errata and rules improvements that will come over the following years in 2015-2025 (or whenever 6e comes out)).

Chaosvii7
2014-07-12, 10:54 AM
In order to play, you need a DM, players, dice, the Basic Rules, and any combination of the Starter Set, Legacy of The Crystal Shard Bestiary, or the most recent playtest. Starter Set and the LoTCS contain monsters of levels 1-5, LoTCS being more themed towards arctic encounters, with a mix of undead in it. Playtests contain a huge bevvy of monsters from D&D, from standard fantasy monsters to the iconic D&D creations. Playtests also have adventures for you to run - 6 to be exact. All are of varying levels from 1 - 20, and contain their own special monsters to encounter, I'm sure. Lastly, the Playtest also contains bestiaries for some of the past seasons of encounters. While some of them might use older mechanics that player characters had, they should still be fine to play with.

So basically, if you didn't get in on the playtest then your choice of monsters is recycling enemies from D&D Encounters. Otherwise, you've got a whole WIP Monster Manual at your fingertips.

da_chicken
2014-07-12, 11:11 AM
You can buy the Starter Set in 4 days (less if you're in a lucky area), use the premade characters there (or create your own using the current Basic Rules), and play either the adventure in the Starter Set or one of the playtest adventures that were released.

Yes, the only reason the Basic D&D rules are available at all right now is because the Starter Set was prereleased at several locations on July 3. It's not generally available until this upcoming week.

Envyus
2014-07-12, 12:28 PM
Basic will be updated with more stuff next month on August 8th.