PDA

View Full Version : The Blessed (or Plane Touched of another stripe)

Gamebird
2007-02-28, 01:49 PM
In my game I wanted to incorporate two ideas that use the same template. Both are essentially plane-touched. The first is heriditary plane-touched, who have a trace of celestial or infernal blood. Not strong enough to be fiendish or celestial, they nonetheless still have some powers from their heritage. The other idea is a blessing the gods give their most faithful followers, or those who are advancing the god's goals.

In either case, the idea of a generic template like for assimar and tiefling didn't fit. What I wanted was templates that reflected the portfolio of each god. With that in mind, I put together the modifiers thusly:

Okay, who can tell me how to insert a table without it looking funky beyond?

Anyway, I was also going to have the gods bestow this on the PCs in my game when they got to be around 10th level, as they are taking up the roles of champions of the light in the game.

Glooble Glistencrist
2007-02-28, 01:59 PM
Go to the Guide to Homebrewing for how to make a table.

Gamebird
2007-02-28, 02:49 PM
The Blessed
{table=head]Deity|Stat Change|Skill Bonus (+2 each)|Spell-like Ability*|Resistances (5 points)
Ariadne|+2 INT, +2 CHR|2 Crafts|Make Whole|Acid, Cold, Electricity
Aron|+2 INT, +2 CHR|K: Local, Swim|Water Breathing (self only)|Acid, Cold, Electricity
Brigit|+2 INT, +2 CHR|K: Local, Perform|Daylight or Clairaudience|Electricity, Fire, Sonic

Dagda|+2 WIS, +2 CHR|K: Local, K: Nobility|Zone of Truth|Acid, Cold, Electricity
Dorianella|+2 WIS, +2 CHR|K: Nature, Prof: Cook|Create Food & Water|Acid, Cold, Electricity
Dworkin|+2 DEX, +2 INT, -2 WIS|Bluff, Hide|Invisibility (self only)|Acid, Cold, Fire
Frey|+2 INT, +2 CHR|Listen, Spot|Cat's Grace|Acid, Electricity, Fire
Freya|+2 CON|Intimidate, Spot|Rage (self only)|Acid, Electricity, Fire
Ilmatar|+2 WIS, +2 CHR|Heal, Sense Motive|Cure Moderate Wounds|Acid, Cold, Electricity
Krom|+2 WIS, +2 CHR|Craft (metal or stone), K: Arch & Engr|Make Whole or Darkvision|Acid, Cold, Fire
Lord Deth|+2 INT, +2 WIS|Heal, K: Religion|Halt Undead|Acid, Cold, Fire
Mielikki|+2 CON|K: Nature, Survival|Plant Growth|Cold, Electricity, Fire
Nuada|+2 DEX, -2 INT, +2 CHR|Heal, Ride|Daylight|Acid, Electricity, Fire
The Lugh|+2 INT, +2 CHR|Appraise, Diplomacy|Glibness|Acid, Cold, Fire
Thor|+2 STR|Climb, Jump|Bull's Strength|Cold, Electricity, Fire
Ukko|+2 DEX|Listen, Spot|Daylight|Electricity, Fire, Sonic

Evil deities:
Arwan|+2 DEX, -2 WIS, +2 CHR|Bluff, Perform|Charm Person|Acid, Cold, Electricity
Hisji|+2 WIS, +2 CHR|Bluff, Intimidate|Darkness|Acid, Cold, Fire
Tlagora|+2 INT, +2 CHR|K: Arcana, K: Religion|Animate Dead|Cold, Electricity, Fire
[/table]
* Spell like ability uses character level as caster level.

Now, a few questions:

1) Do these look reasonably balanced to one another and the assimar/tiefling adjustments? There is no darkvision granted, or Medium size.

2) Given that the players don't see these templates and don't know what they're going to get, do you think they'll be unhappy if the bonuses don't line up with their character's strengths?

3) What should I do about characters who haven't picked a god? Award them something generic? Give them nothing at all? I very much don't want them "shopping", or looking at the gods and picking one based on which best suits their character's strengths. I'd rather they picked based on which god best suits their character's personality and interests.

Weezer
2007-02-28, 02:54 PM
I just looked through them quickly but the Tlagora's spell like, Animate Dead, is powerful for first level. wizards cant get that spell untill 7th level and clerics cant get that spell untill 5th level.

Gamebird
2007-02-28, 03:11 PM
First level? Where are you getting that?

Daylight is 3rd level. Assimars get that as their spell-like ability.
Darkness is 2nd. Tieflings get it as theirs.

I know that Animate Dead is a fairly powerful spell and making it a spell-like ability means I'll have to decide what they have to do about the onyx cost.

Fax Celestis
2007-02-28, 03:14 PM
Spell-Like Abilities (Sp)
Usually, a spell-like ability works just like the spell of that name. A few spell-like abilities are unique; these are explained in the text where they are described.

A spell-like ability has no verbal, somatic, or material component, nor does it require a focus or have an XP cost. The user activates it mentally. Armor never affects a spell-like ability’s use, even if the ability resembles an arcane spell with a somatic component.

They don't need material components.

I would say, for those that don't have deities, that a deity picks them.

Gamebird
2007-02-28, 03:22 PM
They don't need material components.

They have to have a corpse at least! But maybe I should say they need the onyx? Not that having a lot of skeletons and zombies running around is all that tough.

I would say, for those that don't have deities, that a deity picks them.

Yeah, that's the direction I was leaning too.

Fax Celestis
2007-02-28, 03:26 PM
They have to have a corpse at least! But maybe I should say they need the onyx? Not that having a lot of skeletons and zombies running around is all that tough.

Yeah, that's the direction I was leaning too.

Requiring the onyx would make it difficult for lower leveled characters, while useful for mid-ranges.