PDA

View Full Version : [PrC] The Leafthief (PEACH)

Orzel
2007-03-01, 06:35 PM
Leafthieves are the keepers of the leaf scrolls. They use their personal copies of old arcane magic to move from robbery to larceny with ease. The few existing Leafthief guilds try their hardest to prevent the use of their knowledge by those not in thier order. They are often impossible to catch. To a town's guard, a leafthief is "their worst nightmare" or a "walking demotion". Nobles soon grow poor after a ride in the countryside. Those plagued by the regional Leafthief guild find many of their lighter assets gone.

Hit Die
d6.

Requirements
To qualify to become a leafthief, a character must fulfill all the following criteria.

Base Attack Bonus
+3.
Skills
Hide 8 ranks, Survival 8 ranks
Feats
Dodge
Spells
Ability to cast 2nd-level arcane or divine spells.
Special
The character must not be sensitive to bright light.

Class Skills

The lefthief's class skills (and the key ability for each skill) are Escape Artist (Dex), Hide (Dex). Listen (Wis), Move Silently (Dex), Ride (Dex), Sleight of Hand (Dex), Spot (Wis), Survival (Wis), Tumble (Dex), and Use Magic Device (Cha).

Skill Points at Each Level
4 + Int modifier.

LEAFTHIEF
LEAFTHIEF
{table=head]Level|Base Attack[br]Bonus|Fort Save|Ref Save|Will Save|Special

1st|
+1|
+0|
+2|
+0| Sneak Attack 1d6

2nd|
+2|
+0|
+3|
+0|Burrow 20ft,Tree Magic 1d6

3rd|
+3|
+1|
+3|
+1|Photorestoration

4th|
+4|
+1|
+4|
+1|Freedom of Movement 1/day, Leaf Scroll Focus

5th|
+5|
+1|
+4|
+1|Tree Magic 1d4, Sneak Attack 2d6 [/table]

Class Features

All of the following are Class Features of the leafthief prestige class.

Weapon and Armor Proficiency
Leafthieves gain no proficiency with any weapon or armor.

Sneak Attack
This ability, gained at 1st level, is like the rogue ability of the same name. The extra damage increases by +1d6 at the 5th level. If a leafthief gets a sneak attack bonus from another source the bonuses on damage stack.

Tree magic (Sp)
At level 2, a leafthief is given secret knowledge of leaf scrolls, giving her the power to use a spell-like ability (as the spell cast at twice your leafthief level). She can cast antiplant shell, blight, command plants, dimension door, longstrider, tree stride, tree shape, warp wood, or wood shape. Once the spell like abilty is used, another cannot be used for 1d6 rounds after the duration of last usage.

In order to use tree magic, a leafthief must have a leaf scoll in one of his hands. A leafthief does not need to activate the scroll like a spellcaster to use tree magic. Each time a leafthief uses tree magic, there is a 10% chance her leafscroll is utterly destroyed. A leafthief cannot use more than two leaf scrolls a day.

Leaf scrolls are small plants with one or two large leaves. A leaf scroll has AC 9, 1 hit point, hardness 0, and a break DC of 5. Creating a leafscroll requires a 24 hour ritual where 100g of materials is used and destroyed.

At the 5th level, a leafthief can use his tree magic every 1d4 rounds.

Burrow
At the 2nd level, as long as a leafthief holds a leaf scroll, she gains a burrow speed of 20 ft

Photorestoration (Su)
At level 3, whenever a leafthief is under a blight light (such as the sun on a sunny day, or the daylight spell) for at least 30 minutes, she heals 1 point of hit point damage and 1 point of ability damage each hour she remains in the light.

Leaf Scroll Focus
At the 4th level, a leafthief can add her leafthief levels to her caster levels of one previous existin arcane casting class. This does not gain addiitonal spells per day other grant any other benefit a character of that class would have gained.Once a class is chosen for this bonus, it cannot be reversed

Freedom of Movement (Sp)
At the 4th level, a leafthief is given more knowledge of stolen leaf scrolls, giving her the spell-like ability to use freedom of movement (as the spell cast at your character level) once per day.

Slippery Mind (Ex)
At 4th level, if a leafthief is affected by an enchantment and fails her saving throw, 1 round later she can attempt her saving throw again. She only gets this one extra chance to succeed at her saving throw. If it fails as well, the spell’s effects occur normally.

knightsaline
2007-03-01, 06:43 PM
When I read the title, i instantly thought of a certain ninja from the village hidden in the leaves.

is there any arcane spell progression? if not, why not?

Rama_Lei
2007-03-01, 06:50 PM
I'd give them a good will save and also a Know. Nature prereq.

Orzel
2007-03-01, 07:02 PM
When I read the title, i instantly thought of a certain ninja from the village hidden in the leaves.

is there any arcane spell progression? if not, why not?

Leafthieves not be magical rogues with throwing weapons.
Leafthieves be guys who steal your stuff and leave a smelly wooden statue of a bad gesture in its place.

knightsaline
2007-03-01, 07:30 PM
so they leave old fertility idols in the place of valuables?

Eighth_Seraph
2007-03-01, 08:04 PM
*rimshot*

Anyway, it would be best to put Sneak Attack at level 2, or rogues will just dip into this for an extra die of damage, then back to Rogue progression. Also, give Tree Magic a set number of rounds between usage, since there's really no reason for it to be randomized. I also agree that a good will save would emphasize that this is a rogue/spellcaster class.

The only flavor problem I see is that divine spells would make alot more sense than arcane spells, since this is a good prestige class for Rangers. Maybe just make second level arcane OR divine spells?

ajkkjjk52
2007-03-01, 08:26 PM
Tree stride/Tree shape/Dimension Door every few rounds? That's an incredibly powerful ability. Perhaps consider adding a total uses/day limit, maybe their total character level.

Also, the pre-reqs seem awfully easy: A wizard can have 2nd level spells at third, then add 1 level of rogue and dump 7 ranks into hide. The hardest requirement to get is the bab, and I didn't really get the feeling this was a combat-heavy class.

Lastly, burrow is also really really useful. And powerful. A munchkin player will find a way to abuse the hell out of that ability in no time. I'd consider giving them the ability to have a burrow speed for a certain number of rounds or minutes per day.

I like the idea of a nature-based rogue (perhaps as a complement to arcane trickster) but I think this PrC is significantly overpowered.

Orzel
2007-03-02, 12:11 PM
*rimshot*

Anyway, it would be best to put Sneak Attack at level 2, or rogues will just dip into this for an extra die of damage, then back to Rogue progression. Also, give Tree Magic a set number of rounds between usage, since there's really no reason for it to be randomized. I also agree that a good will save would emphasize that this is a rogue/spellcaster class.

The 2nd level arcane prereq makes dipping not so good if just for 1d6 SA.
They're not really rogue/spellcasters. They don't get a spell progression. Leafthiefs own special scrolls and wands made of plants. When they use a leafscroll or treewand, the leaves fall off. The leaves slowly regenerate. When the leaves reappear, the scoll/wand can be uses again. I have to add that part of the fluff.

The only flavor problem I see is that divine spells would make alot more sense than arcane spells, since this is a good prestige class for Rangers. Maybe just make second level arcane OR divine spells?

Makes sense.

Tree stride/Tree shape/Dimension Door every few rounds? That's an incredibly powerful ability. Perhaps consider adding a total uses/day limit, maybe their total character level.

I'll add the use of leaf scrolls.

Also, the pre-reqs seem awfully easy: A wizard can have 2nd level spells at third, then add 1 level of rogue and dump 7 ranks into hide. The hardest requirement to get is the bab, and I didn't really get the feeling this was a combat-heavy class.

I'm tempted to add some Survival ranks to the class prereqs

Lastly, burrow is also really really useful. And powerful. A munchkin player will find a way to abuse the hell out of that ability in no time. I'd consider giving them the ability to have a burrow speed for a certain number of rounds or minutes per day.

Burrow's really only good in the wild. Combined with the class' prereqs, I doubt it's worth the munchkinism. There's probably easier options. But I'll move it back anyway.