PDA

View Full Version : Arkentool Reference

kirbsys
2007-03-02, 06:21 PM
I've been reading The Hobbit and the stone inside of the mountain that Bilbo steals and that Thorin gets so pissed about is called the Arkenstone. Arken tools, Arkenstone... just wanted to point it out.

Minchandre
2007-03-02, 06:28 PM
Oh my god! Are you implying that some of the aspects of Erfworld might be lifted from popular cultural references?

Shocking!

:tongue:

Zanaril
2007-03-03, 05:10 PM
I think that "Arken" is just one of those words you can add to anything to make it sound special in some way. Arkenhammer, Arkenflame, Arkencabbage.

Kinda like "Super-", "Ultra-", "Mega-", and "-of DOOM!!!!111!", just not so overused.

oogabooga
2007-03-04, 07:44 AM
It is now. But I'm fairly sure it was originally from Tolkien (unless he stole it from Old English mythology).

ichthus
2007-03-04, 01:27 PM
It is now. But I'm fairly sure it was originally from Tolkien (unless he stole it from Old English mythology).

'Arken' doesn't have any roots before Tolkien that I can find in a quick search. However, it is very similar in a lot of ways to 'arcane'. Unfortunately, my friend with the complete Oxford English Dictionary is out of the country, otherwise, I'd have him look for a root word/meaning.

Luvlein
2007-03-04, 01:52 PM
From the Pun thread:

There is of course the arkenstone in Tolkien's "The Hobbit".
I found the following in some Tolkien forum:

"The element arken comes from an Old English word, eorcan, meaning 'holy'. This may seem a strange derivation: despite its beauty and its great importance to the Dwarves, it's hard to claim that the Arkenstone was in any real sense 'holy'. Instead, it seems to have acquired its name by association with the word Eorclanstánas ('Holy Stones') the Old English name for the Silmarils themselves."

FlyMolo
2007-03-04, 03:28 PM
Whoah. Deep.

Arkencabbage!:smallcool:

happyturtle
2007-03-04, 04:16 PM
Darn. Now I want some Arkencabbage soup. I even have an Arkencabbage in the fridge, but an emergency dog bath interfered with my soup making plans for the day.

Zanaril
2007-03-05, 11:06 AM
Couldn't resist:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v701/__zana_taru__/Arkencabbage.jpg

Runolfr
2007-03-05, 11:29 AM
I think that "Arken" is just one of those words you can add to anything to make it sound special in some way. Arkenhammer, Arkenflame, Arkencabbage.

Kinda like "Super-", "Ultra-", "Mega-", and "-of DOOM!!!!111!", just not so overused.

Don't forget "Uber-".

happyturtle
2007-03-05, 12:22 PM
The Arkencabbage! I love it!

May I use that in my sig? Pretty please with Arkensugar on top? :smallbiggrin:

Zanaril
2007-03-05, 01:08 PM
Go ahead Happyturtle.

Nice one Runolfr.

happyturtle
2007-03-05, 02:31 PM
Heehee! Thank you :)

Edited to add: Not sure why my sig isn't visible on my posts. I can see it on my profile. Oh well, I'll figure it out tomorrow.

Edited again to add: Oh... 'show signature' checkbox... *smacks own forehead*

Caractacus
2007-03-05, 05:00 PM
Hmm...are we all QUITE sure that the Arken- prefix isn't also a handy set-up for the fact that one of the tools we meet later happens to be a saw...:smallamused:

Just a thought...

Woot Spitum
2007-03-05, 05:32 PM
It could even be argued that the Arkenstone is one of the Silmarils, since one was lost "deep within the earth."

oogabooga
2007-03-05, 06:41 PM
I tend to think Gandalf would have said something (he'd be sure to recognize it).

Woot Spitum
2007-03-05, 06:55 PM
I tend to think Gandalf would have said something (he'd be sure to recognize it).

Except that the Silmarillian was written after The Hobbit.

oogabooga
2007-03-06, 12:39 PM
Was it? The stories that became the Silmarillion were started before The Hobbit was ever written, though originally Tolkien didn't intend them to belong to the same universe...

I'll concede that it's possible, but I'm not convinced that the Arkenstone was a Silmaril.

(I fear I'm dragging this thread way off topic, and will therefore stop now.)

Luvlein
2007-03-06, 01:06 PM
A silmaril burns anyone touching it (save Fëanor), the arkenstone does not.

Felius
2007-03-06, 01:15 PM
What is the most obscure acient term for excrements?

K2
2007-03-06, 02:25 PM
I would perfer arkenkraut to arkencabbage

K2
2007-03-06, 02:26 PM
A silmaril burns anyone touching it (save Fëanor), the arkenstone does not.

the silmaril bruns any evil(or imourity depending on how you look at it) that touches it

Rocheforte
2007-03-07, 05:09 AM
'Arken' doesn't have any roots before Tolkien that I can find in a quick search. However, it is very similar in a lot of ways to 'arcane'. Unfortunately, my friend with the complete Oxford English Dictionary is out of the country, otherwise, I'd have him look for a root word/meaning.
I'll tell my fiancee you're welcome to visit the Coed anytime you like.

Zanaril Taru, the Arkencabbage is absolutely brilliant.

"Yes, I wield the Arkencabbage, but I am not attuned to it. At best, it is a tasty side dish. Indeed, it turns most corned beef sandwiches to Reubens. But Deli magic is powerless in my case."

TinSoldier
2007-03-07, 08:40 PM
I'll tell my fiancee you're welcome to visit the Coed anytime you like.

Zanaril Taru, the Arkencabbage is absolutely brilliant.

"Yes, I wield the Arkencabbage, but I am not attuned to it. At best, it is a tasty side dish. Indeed, it turns most corned beef sandwiches to Reubens. But Deli magic is powerless in my case."I thought the Arkencabbage was funny, but this is comedy gold!

pclips
2007-03-07, 10:00 PM
I thought the Arkencabbage was funny, but this is comedy gold!

I was going to say so.

The Arkencabbage is attuned to Lord Cole. It follows Cole's Law.

TinSoldier
2007-03-07, 10:36 PM
I was going to say so.

The Arkencabbage is attuned to Lord Cole. It follows Cole's Law.And that, sir, is why you are writing this webcomic and I am not.

Bravo!

Maratanos
2007-03-10, 06:01 PM
Except that the Silmarillian was written after The Hobbit.

As I recall, actually Tolkien began writing the Silmarillion as one of his first works. It was merely never completed in his lifetime.

Cyclone231
2007-03-10, 07:25 PM
What is the most obscure acient term for excrements?Coprolite?

pclips
2007-03-10, 10:29 PM
Coprolite?

Geology joke:

Q: What kind of faults form coprolites?

A: Asphalts.

Felius
2007-03-11, 02:07 PM
Arkencoprolite

fangthane
2007-03-14, 10:15 AM
Just so people know that it's not in fact something JRR made up...

Arken, as a prefix, comes from the old English word Eorcan which is generally taken to mean precious or, as seems more appropriate in this particular case (and as Rob/Jamie may or may not have been specifically aware but as ties nicely with Stanley's recent ranting) Holy.

So basically the arkentools are a series of precious, holy relics - the name reveals all that Stanley clarified with respect to the holy nature of the tools.

And as to the Tolkien reference, his usage is similar, arken as a modernisation/corruption of the old English eorcan.

happyturtle
2007-03-15, 01:14 PM
Thanks for that. I love geeky tidbits like that. (munching on holy arkencabbage)

Rocheforte
2007-03-15, 05:37 PM
(munching on holy arkencabbage)

You're using the Arkencabbage as a snack?
But it's divine. A vegetable of the Titans.

Glarx
2007-03-15, 05:53 PM
So... it's high in proteins... or cabbageteins...?

R: Holy Arkencabbage, Batman! It's the Tool!

B: Never fear, spandex-clad chum, we shall prevail! Thankfully, I have my Arkenbelt with me today...

R: But you aren't attuned!

B: That's a risk we'll have to take. Latch on to my Arkenbelt, and we'll battle the Tool along side the Arkenpliers.

(This seemingly related post was brought to you by Reverend Glarx. Please roll two d4s to determine his cost)

KillerCardinal
2007-03-15, 10:37 PM
You're using the Arkencabbage as a snack?
But it's divine. A vegetable of the Titans.

Yep, the but that means that it will never run out! Thats its power, didn't ya know?!