PDA

View Full Version : DVD Addicts, Unite!

Khantalas
2007-03-02, 06:46 PM
(Note: This may rightfully belong in Friendly Banter. I couldn't decide which one it would be, and settled on here. If a staff member decides Friendly Banter is indeed the place for this to be in, then I would appreciate if they delete this note along with the note.)

I admit it, I'm a DVD addict. I buy an average of one DVD every three days, despite not having enough time to watch them all and/or enough resources to afford them.

Work, peons! The cashier says "We need more lumber" and it's all your fault! Work!

...ahem...

Does anyone else suffers from this condition? Are DVD more dangerous than drugs? Do they really force you to watch them depite having mid-terms? Are they evil?

And how do you like your DVDs? Do you look for something special when you're browsing the shelves? I always go for movies with subtitles, for example, even if they are in Turkish. I also love those Collector's Edition or Special Edition or Director's Cut labeling - even if it turns out to be absolutely terrible.

Is there a cure for my (possibly your) sickness? Is anyone researching this subject? Do we even want to be cured?

MrsbwcMD
2007-03-02, 11:45 PM
I used to buy all of my DVDs. I have quite a collection built up--one DVD tower completely full (that's 72 right there), another filled quite a bit with room for more, and a large part of our entertainment center devoted to newer DVDs (what we want to watch right now) and DVD collections (TV series, trilogies, etc). The newest DVDs were bought with Christmas gift cards and/or were given to us as gifts. I try not to spend too much money on actually buying them, anymore. Instead, my cure is Netflix! I've been using it for about two or three years, now, and it really works. I just spend about $20 a month, and I can watch an unlimited supply of DVDs whenever I want. My plan is 3 DVDs at a time, so I always have a few new movies sitting around to watch. The best part about it is I don't have to go to the video store to return them/pick up new ones. I just drop them in the provided envelopes and put them in the mail. The next DVD on my list on the Internet is sent to me in just a couple of days. It's amazing how fast it takes to get new movies. I've pretty much stopped going to the movie theater for the same reason (that and I have a new baby at home, so it's kind of hard to see movies outside of the house, anymore). If you haven't tried it, I'd highly recommend Netflix. It saves you money in the long run, and if you really don't like a movie, you just send it back, instead of having to keep it.

TheRabidWalnut
2007-03-26, 08:07 AM
A DVD should (I think) come with

The Trailer
The Music Video (If one exists)
The Commentary.

And should NOT come with
That poxy piracy advert.
Any type of advert before the film rolls. I'm looking at you Disney!

Anything else is, of course, a wonderous addition.

RMS Oceanic
2007-03-26, 01:50 PM
I love DVDs!

I love extra features!

I don't love Cars' extra feature-light release! No commentary? What self-respecting DVD lacks the freaking commentary?!

Seriously, DVDs (and their successors) are awesome. I currently have 30+ Movies and three complete TV series (with spatterings of other shows lying around). What's not to like.

Proxy
2007-03-26, 02:01 PM
I love Dvd's but I don't need al the extra features and stuff... Who needs extra features when you can watch part II of the film?

wxdruid
2007-03-26, 02:21 PM
I'm certainly addicted, I own all the Star Trek DVD's (complete sets, movies, collections) and movies. Total about 200? not counting the individual disks in the Star Trek seasons.

WampaX
2007-03-26, 03:20 PM
2 - 5 shelf racks
1 - 4 shelf rack (made for VHS tapes)
all total hold close to 500-600 DVDs. (probably should get better count for insurance purposes)
I need to buy another as they are starting to back up in the middle between racks 1 and 2 (stupid large box-sets making organization difficult).

I've really slowed down in the past few years thanks to Netflix and the closing of all Mediaplay brick and mortars.

NEO|Phyte
2007-03-26, 03:32 PM
I'm a DVD addict.
Its kinda painful at first, but once you get used to it, you can snort ground-up DVD chunks no problem.

Samiam303
2007-03-26, 04:05 PM
I'm a DVD addict.
Its kinda painful at first, but once you get used to it, you can snort ground-up DVD chunks no problem.
That'll clear right up any congestion problems... Heh. Good for the sinuses?