PDA

View Full Version : Quick monster make-up: Virage and Super Virage

janusmaxwell
2014-07-28, 07:14 PM
Don't know jack about making up stats for monsters, and had a great idea for making a high CR encounter against the boss monsters, the Virage and Super Virage from the PS1 game Legend of Dragoon.

Fluff and rough mechanics: imagine if God made all fantasy races, and had an ultimate back-up plan that would exterminatus everything...for some reason.

The living weapons designed to be the exterminators of everything are the Virage. Intelligence is unknown as neither forms can speak and it's unknown if they can or care to understand when creatures are talking to them. They are both Giant or Huge creature with the regular Virage looking more humanoid than it's super form. Besides having incredible strength and powerful magic they shoot eye lasers from eyes and eye stalk surrounding the mouth in the central body mass (stomach/upper chest) the Virage will occasionally grab and bite enemies for heavy damage while the Super Virage is basically a living weapons platform with one elongated arm acting like an energy cannon, which is also capable of extruding tentacles to grab and constrict opponents.

Allnightmask
2014-07-28, 09:08 PM
While I love this idea, I don't really have much I can do to add to it. I just think you should keep in mind that those bosses were standing head and shoulders above the dragons of the series.

janusmaxwell
2014-07-28, 10:27 PM
While I love this idea, I don't really have much I can do to add to it. I just think you should keep in mind that those bosses were standing head and shoulders above the dragons of the series.

So am I off on the size scale? I get the size of bigger things mixed up and I'm going by the boss battles where the Virages were sized so the human characters didn't quite reach the Virages knee. Cutscenes those things were colossal and that's I bit higher CR than I was intending!

Kalmageddon
2014-07-29, 01:56 AM
Such nostalgia... I loved that game!
From what I can remember a Virage would stand somewhere between Huge and Gargantuan.
As for creature type, I would go with either Abberation or possibily Outsider (Native). Outsider would make them stronger, probably.

illyahr
2014-07-30, 01:41 PM
I would go Gargantuan Aberration, which makes it unlikely that they have prepared for the first one. :smallamused:

Give them SR and a few damage and save-or-suck SLA's (glitterdust variant comes to mind, the Virage were light-based enemies). Give them Improved Grab and massive natural armor (the 'bite' you referenced is actually them cracking your skull on theirs) as well as a Slam natural attack.

...and watch as your PC's cry. :smallcool:

janusmaxwell
2014-07-31, 07:17 AM
trying to think now regarding type. Don't think they needed to eat/sleep or breathe. Closest to sleeping was the 10,000 year dormancy between the ancient war they fought in and the modern era. One of the Virage survived being half-submerged in a lava flow for all that time, only to wake up for a boss battle, and then be knocked all the way into the lava.

Regarding that first encounter, the party asked if what they were looking at was some kind of statue...does that mean Virage have stone skin, or that was what it looked like out of boss-battles or cutscenes? It simply turns to stone while hibernating...

Not sure what the broadest category would be really.