PDA

View Full Version : Path features

Fwiffo86
2014-07-30, 08:17 AM
I just thought of this, and I don't have the ability to research it myself. Does anyone know if a character's chosen path features are linear? Or can you pick one from the list each time you get a path feature listed on the level chart?

I think they are linear, like evasion is 7th level I think. If they are linear, it wouldn't have been a bad way to go I think, letting you pick which ones you want at what time.

Lokiare
2014-07-30, 08:34 AM
I just thought of this, and I don't have the ability to research it myself. Does anyone know if a character's chosen path features are linear? Or can you pick one from the list each time you get a path feature listed on the level chart?

I think they are linear, like evasion is 7th level I think. If they are linear, it wouldn't have been a bad way to go I think, letting you pick which ones you want at what time.

Yep, you have to pick a path feature from the path you chose at level 3. Not only that all paths add their features at the same level which means new paths will follow the same 4-6 slot pattern.

Jeraa
2014-07-30, 08:35 AM

You mean things like the Clerics Divine Domain feature, Fighters Martial Archetype, Rogues Roguish Archetype, and Wizards Arcane Tradition?

Then no, you don't get to pick individual abilities from a list. The features of each are set. You do get to pick the specific archetype (wizards choose from the 8 schools of magic, a rogue can choose to be an Assassin, Arcane Trickster, or Thief, etc.). But once the archetype is chosen, the abilities you get are set.

Fwiffo86
2014-07-30, 08:43 AM
You mean things like the Clerics Divine Domain feature, Fighters Martial Archetype, Rogues Roguish Archetype, and Wizards Arcane Tradition?

Then no, you don't get to pick individual abilities from a list. The features of each are set. You do get to pick the specific archetype (wizards choose from the 8 schools of magic, a rogue can choose to be an Assassin, Arcane Trickster, or Thief, etc.). But once the archetype is chosen, the abilities you get are set.

That's what I thought, as I have said in previous threads, I don't have access to my docs right now (work), so I couldn't verify. Too bad, that would have been a nice option.

1of3
2014-07-30, 09:16 AM
The answer is also not complete.

There are subclasses that offer a menu of abilities that can be chosen from. 4 Elements Monk, Battlemaster. Totem Warrior and Hunter offer additional choices too, but require the choice from certain smaller lists (e.g. level X one of these, level Y one of those).

hawklost
2014-07-30, 09:19 AM
So far, every class in the Basic has options to pick from at least some kind of list to customize the character slightly

Fighter - Pick form a small list of Fighting Styles
Wizard - Pick from Spell List
Cleric - Pick from Spell List
Rogue - Pick from Skill list 2 skills that you are really good at.

ImperiousLeader
2014-07-30, 10:55 AM
That's what I thought, as I have said in previous threads, I don't have access to my docs right now (work), so I couldn't verify. Too bad, that would have been a nice option.

My understanding is that rules for mixing and matching subclass features, or even creating new subclasses will be in the DMG.